PDA

View Full Version : offensive loss

NardiWasHere
12-15-2004, 11:17 PM
With the losses of mags, lee, valentin, hurt (start of 2005). and the additions of dye, podsednik, how much offense do you guys think we'll really lose? I'm in the school of thought that thinks the lineup will still be able to put up decent numbers. (konerko, rowand, dye aren't complete tools)
This has been touched on in other threads, but i want to devote one to the subject in order to hear everyone's opinion

ondafarm
12-15-2004, 11:27 PM
IMHO, the 2005 White Sox will not explode for 14 runs in a game nearly as often as the 2000-2004 version did, however, they will be able to manufacture runs in games were they are scarce at a much more appreciable clip. With the improvement in defense and a solid pitching rotation and good bullpen, I think the 2005 White Sox will be a playoff team, provided the Big Hurt gets back and is in playing condition by early June.

HomeFish
12-15-2004, 11:29 PM
I don't see reliance on Konerko, Dye, and Rowand to be a "good thing". The lattermost is coming off a career year, the other two have had consistency problems throughout their careers.

Nellie_Fox
12-15-2004, 11:54 PM
Rowand is coming off a career year.We won't know that until we see how things play out, will we. I was a Rowand doubter before this year, and he proved me wrong. It's waaaayyyyy too soon to declare last year a career year for a guy who has had exactly one year as a regular.

c4birdiemaker
12-15-2004, 11:58 PM
We won't know that until we see how things play out, will we. I was a Rowand doubter before this year, and he proved me wrong. It's waaaayyyyy too soon to declare last year a career year for a guy who has had exactly one year as a regular.rowand's gonna hit third this year and i'm likin' it.:bandance:

MeanFish
12-15-2004, 11:59 PM
I'm actually hoping he hits second. I can't help but imagine this scenario, over and over again:

1.) Podsednik gets on, steals second
2.) Aaron hits a double.

Aaron hits a lot of doubles. Yay.

Banix12
12-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Offensively we should be fine but how good we are depends on how guys like Crede, Everett, and Podsednik can rebound from bad seasons and how good Thomas can rebound from injury. Something out of Harris would be nice too. That's a lot of ifs but i'm optimistic. Everett should be fine. Podsednik was pushing too much in Milwaukee last year to be the whole offense because the Brewers had no offense because Jenkins was on and off the DL and their power guys were Keith Ginter and Russ Branyan (how sad is that), now that he is surrounded by a real offense I could see him moving back to something like he was in 03. Thomas and Crede are my biggest worries, however if we get another good starter and with better defense we should be able to prevent more runs which is a big deal with this team.

So we won't be winning a lot of games by scoring 12 runs but we won't be giving up the 11 runs that made it necessary to score the 12

c4birdiemaker
12-16-2004, 12:32 AM
im worried about crede also. this is it for him...anything short of 25 and 90 will be disappointing and difficult to overcome. rowand would definatly see alot of fastballs in the 2 hole w/ pods on first. but i think uribe would benefit most from hittin 2nd and besides u need your best hitter batting third. it is not out of the realm of possibility that rowand could be our best hitter. 4-konerko, 5-dye, 6-everett, 7-crede, 8-davis, 9-harris....maybe we put rowand 2 when fatso comes back and bump uribe to 8. harris hittin 9 is like having a couple leadoff guys back 2 back :gulp:

MeanFish
12-16-2004, 12:34 AM
Don't forget about Thomas. When he returns, he'll almost certainly hit third. Then who do you put in the 2-hole?

Banix12
12-16-2004, 12:45 AM
I think Ozzie would hope that Harris can finally show some talent for stealing bases and getting on base so he can use Podsednik/Harris 1-2 like Florida used Pierre/Castillo. I don't personally see that happening. I actually really like Rowand in the 2 hole. He gets on base, he has pretty good speed. He doesn't try to pull the ball a lot and will try to move the runner along if Pods gets on base.

c4birdiemaker
12-16-2004, 12:52 AM
rowand will prob hit 2 but i think he should hit 3. paulie 4. frank 5. he'll give paulie adequate protection. if pods and uribe do their respective jobs, rowand and konerko can hit with less than 2 outs. with damage done early in the inning, teams will pitch to frank instead of carl and i think that would be mucho magnifico.

California Sox
12-16-2004, 01:03 AM
....maybe we put rowand 2 when fatso comes back
Frank is "fatso"? Wow. What does that make Everett?

c4birdiemaker
12-16-2004, 01:11 AM
i think willie is gonna become a nice player. i recall a 5 hit game last year when he was in that incredible little stretch. a little more consistancy out of him over the course of say 145 games would be very welcome to be sure. i dont like clogging up the top of the order though. it would be nice if we made it a little easier for uribe to see a few more fastballs so let him hit 2. keep willie and the pressure off by letting him hit 9 and concentrate on d. i'll be happy with .281 2hr 44 rbi. we are poised to have some potential impact players surface @ the same time. think about it...willie, crede, and rowand in a best case scenario could grow up all at once and be all that we need to augment a pretty solid core. nice work with the pitching staff kw. your doin great but i would love another arm. give clement 7 mil with incentives and we just might have the best staff in the al. kw, please don't trade paulie...leaders don't grow on trees...l8r

Nellie_Fox
12-16-2004, 01:21 AM
Frank is "fatso"? Wow. What does that make Everett?I had already put c4birdiemaker on ignore because he/she apparently doesn't have a shift key on his/her computer. Calling Frank "fatso" has confirmed the wisdom of my decision.

c4birdiemaker
12-16-2004, 01:21 AM
Frank is "fatso"? Wow. What does that make Everett?i read something yesterday that said he was lookin good workin out the way kw wants him to. crazy carl is definitly nutty but i watched him play many games with the red sox and mets and if nothing else he busts his ass out there. this is the area we are going to have to sacrifice a little bit with our sub 100 million dollar payroll but if we can get something outta carl, then we could move frank to the orioles at the deadline. that is if delgago doesnt sign

c4birdiemaker
12-16-2004, 01:23 AM
whatever u say fellie nox

MeanFish
12-16-2004, 01:23 AM
I don't think we're moving Frank anywhere this year...

c4birdiemaker
12-16-2004, 01:25 AM
i dont either but balt does love him