PDA

View Full Version : when will we need 5th starter?

idseer
12-15-2004, 10:30 PM
say kw doesn't pick someone up before the season starts. i know the 5th starter doesn't get a lot of action near the start of the season. perhaps we don't pick someone up until we actually need them? would that be so bad?
even if it's mid-season, how much would it hurt to not have that 5th? maybe he'd feel we could do better at that time?

MRKARNO
12-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Probably within the first week. There are only 3 days off in April this year.

Ol' No. 2
12-15-2004, 10:35 PM
say kw doesn't pick someone up before the season starts. i know the 5th starter doesn't get a lot of action near the start of the season. perhaps we don't pick someone up until we actually need them? would that be so bad?
even if it's mid-season, how much would it hurt to not have that 5th? maybe he'd feel we could do better at that time?By mid-summer the 5th starter will probably have come up 15 times. If they get the same brutal results they've been getting, that's 15 losses. Even a .500 starter means 7 more wins. Divisions have been won or lost by a lot less. As they say, you can't win a race in the spring, but you sure can lose one.

idseer
12-15-2004, 10:53 PM
By mid-summer the 5th starter will probably have come up 15 times. If they get the same brutal results they've been getting, that's 15 losses. Even a .500 starter means 7 more wins. Divisions have been won or lost by a lot less. As they say, you can't win a race in the spring, but you sure can lose one.
ok ... just a thought. i don't envy kw on this one. the sox really aren't in a position to overpay and yet i can't believe he'd really want to depend on grilli or even schoe. i suppose he just MIGHT think there's no way our 5th starter position could produce so few wins 2 years in a row even if we did use our rookies all year.

MUsoxfan
12-16-2004, 03:32 AM
KW knows what we need. He's not making this mistake AGAIN. He's pretty much already said so. I'd say that we as Sox fans can look forward to having a top 3 AL SP squad next year. Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, #4 quality starter, Garland.

gosox41
12-16-2004, 08:47 AM
even if it's mid-season, how much would it hurt to not have that 5th? maybe he'd feel we could do better at that time?
The Sox need a fifth starter ASAP. With risk of injuries, the last thing the Sox need is to have 2 rookies in the rotation to go along with 3 healthy starters while trying to make a trade with a team that knows they're desperate.

Bob

gosox41
12-16-2004, 08:48 AM
KW knows what we need. He's not making this mistake AGAIN. He's pretty much already said so. I'd say that we as Sox fans can look forward to having a top 3 AL SP squad next year. Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, #4 quality starter, Garland.
Only took him 4 years to learn.

Bob

ode to veeck
12-16-2004, 09:35 AM
:KW

"Choice pulled the wool over my eyes for the 1st three years!!"

Jurr
12-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Well, the thing I always think about is last year's beginning rotation (beginning of the season, I mean).

Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland, Schoeneweis, Dan Wright(?)

Now we have :
Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Garland, and Grilli/hopefully someone else.

If we have to go with Grilli, I think we're still in better shape than last year, where we spent some time in first. Now, we don't quite have the bats we used to, but we've upgraded defensively and in the 'pen. I think we RIGHT NOW are in pretty decent shape. A whole lot better shape than we were this time last season.

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2004, 11:08 AM
ok ... just a thought. i don't envy kw on this one. the sox really aren't in a position to overpay and yet i can't believe he'd really want to depend on grilli or even schoe. i suppose he just MIGHT think there's no way our 5th starter position could produce so few wins 2 years in a row even if we did use our rookies all year.Well, it's probably true that there's no way the 5th starter could be so unproductive as it has been. Given what we've seen, there's only one way to go, and that's up. But that's not the question. The question is, "Can it be as good as it needs to be?". Typically, a winning team might need 8-10 wins from its 5th starter. Anything's possible, but the prospects of Grilli/Diaz/Cotts/Elmer Fudd/whoever managing to amass 10 wins don't seem too bright.

eshunn2001
12-16-2004, 11:59 AM
We need a 5th starter 3 years ago. So before spring training would be nice.

Randar68
12-16-2004, 12:13 PM
We need a 5th starter 3 years ago. So before spring training would be nice.
Well said.

JKryl
12-16-2004, 12:18 PM
The problem is, if we wait until the season starts, and go after someone doing well, they're going to ask for an arm and a leg. So what normally happens is that we try to get someone on the cheap, and look out.

White Sox baseball, every day is an adventure.