PDA

View Full Version : Clement to decide future Thursday or Friday

Jjav829
12-15-2004, 10:35 PM
With all the Clement speculation, I figured this is clubhouse worthy. It seems like the day is coming. Anaheim has increased its offer. Clement's agent, Barry Axelrod, expects a decision within the next 2 days. Clement is scheduled to meet with the Dodgers tomorrow. After that, we could have a decision at any point. Oh, the anticipation....:cool:

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20041215&content_id=922928&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp)

rmusacch
12-15-2004, 10:37 PM
With all the Clement speculation, I figured this is clubhouse worthy. It seems like the day is coming. Anaheim has increased its offer. Clement's agent, Barry Axelrod, expects a decision within the next 2 days. Clement is scheduled to meet with the Dodgers tomorrow. After that, we could have a decision at any point. Oh, the anticipation....:cool:

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20041215&content_id=922928&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp)
Unless the Sox are really flying under the radar, I doubt we are going to get him, considering we have not heard anything about the Sox being in the bidding.

Jjav829
12-15-2004, 10:38 PM
Unless the Sox are really flying under the radar, I doubt we are going to get him, considering we have not heard anything about the Sox being in the bidding.
We'll see...:smile:
Axelrod confirmed that Clement is still being pursued by the Los Angeles Dodgers, whom Clement also met with Wednesday, along with the Arizona Diamondbacks, Boston Red Sox, Chicago White Sox, Cleveland Indians and Toronto Blue Jays. Axelrod said Clement would make his decision Thursday or Friday.

ilsox7
12-15-2004, 10:39 PM
My thoughts exactly. If Clement signs, I think it's safe to say KW found some sort of invisibility cloak the last 4 days.

ukigdog
12-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Well actually from Rotoworld it says:

After a meeting with the Angels in which Anaheim raised its offer, agent Barry Axelrod said Matt Clement would make a decision on his future on Thursday or Friday.
If they really want him, it's likely the Angels and Red Sox will have the top offers on the board when all is said and done. The Dodgers, Indians, White Sox, Blue Jays and Diamondbacks are also in the running. Clement is scheduled to meet with the Dodgers tomorrow.

As you can see it mentions the White Sox. Obviously he isnt visiting Chicago, because he played here for many years so he knows the city.

From what i heard from my guy, and what Bruce Levine reports, the sox will put up a decent fight for him. It will come down to do i want to move away for an extra million or two a year, or do i just wanna stay here in Chitown and play for sox for say 8 million a year.

If clement is anything like Dye in terms of the kind of guy he is hell stay here. only time will tell...

ukigdog
12-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Plus i wouldnt be surprised if Kenny offers a somewhat backloaded contract where its like 3 year 30 million to be competitive offer like everyone else where:

2005 - 8 million

2006 - 9 million

2007 - 10 million with a buyout of 3 million and option for fourth year or something like that

OEO Magglio
12-15-2004, 10:49 PM

I know rotoworld said he's expected to meet with the Dodgers tomorrow but in that article it says he met with them today.......

MeanFish
12-15-2004, 10:50 PM
From KFFL.com....

White Sox | Clement: From North To South Side?
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:19:58 -0800

According to The Arlington Heights Daily Herald's Scot Gregor, the Chicago White Sox (http://www.kffl.com/team/47/mlb) are rumored to be the "mystery team" going after free-agent SP Matt Clement (http://www.kffl.com/player/4753/mlb). It was thought Clement had a deal wrapped up with the Anaheim Angels (http://www.kffl.com/team/41/mlb) until Clement's agent admitted another team entered the picture.

Navaro's Talent
12-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Maybe the Sox can sign him if KW promises that the team will actually score some runs for him!

In all seriousness, I hope we get him. The guy can pitch and it will really put the rotation over the top. I'm liking the sound of this:

1. Buerhle
2. Garcia
3. Clement
4. Contreras
5. Garland

Can you guys imagine how great it would be if Contreras and Garland finally meet their potential? :smile: The rotation would be great, plus the bullpen is really stacked right now.

FightingBillini
12-15-2004, 10:57 PM
Maybe the Sox can sign him if KW promises that the team will actually score some runs for him!

In all seriousness, I hope we get him. The guy can pitch and it will really put the rotation over the top. I'm liking the sound of this:

1. Buerhle
2. Garcia
3. Clement
4. Contreras
5. Garland

Can you guys imagine how great it would be if Contreras and Garland finally meet their potential? :smile: The rotation would be great, plus the bullpen is really stacked right now.
Ummm, I don't know if anyone has told you this, but Navarro has 2 R's. Spelling your own handle wrong, thats pretty embarrassing.

I agree with your concept, though.

Jjav829
12-15-2004, 10:59 PM
I know rotoworld said he's expected to meet with the Dodgers tomorrow but in that article it says he met with them today.......Good point. I glanced over that. Well, maybe we will have a decision sooner then.

Navaro's Talent
12-15-2004, 11:00 PM
Ummm, I don't know if anyone has told you this, but Navarro has 2 R's. Spelling your own handle wrong, thats pretty embarrassing.

I agree with your concept, though.
I know it's spelled incorrectly. I don't like Navarro....at all. :D:

ilsox7
12-15-2004, 11:00 PM

There's no 'B' in Illini.

SoxxoS
12-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Sources in Arizona (roommate and the talk radio) said the DBacks offered him a 4 year deal worth more than what they gave Ortiz. They want to prove to the Big Unit they are serious about winning. They said they think that is the kind of money that Anaheim is also going to offer him...

So if that is true...we can move to the Odalis Perez watch.

Ol' No. 2
12-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Sources in Arizona (roommate and the talk radio) said the DBacks offered him a 4 year deal worth more than what they gave Ortiz. They want to prove to the Big Unit they are serious about winning. They said they think that is the kind of money that Anaheim is also going to offer him...

So if that is true...we can move to the Odalis Perez watch.I hope this is from a reliable source. Like, for example, overhearing someone talking on a cellphone in an airport. I'd hate to think it wasn't substatial.

NonetheLoaiza
12-15-2004, 11:07 PM
I can't really think of a move KW has made that hasnt really been ON the radar. The signing of Dye was sort of expected from the people on this board, but other than that...until Clement has announced himself that he has signed with another team, I have to think the Sox still have a good chance.

MeanFish
12-15-2004, 11:07 PM
That cell phone post will go down in infamy...

Jjav829
12-15-2004, 11:09 PM
I hope this is from a reliable source. Like, for example, overhearing someone talking on a cellphone in an airport. I'd hate to think it wasn't substatial.I swear, it was just good timing. I saw Clement on his phone and as I went up to tell him to sign with the White Sox I just happened to hear him say, "I'm gonna sign with the Diamondbacks, right." :cool:

SouthSide_HitMen
12-15-2004, 11:12 PM

1. Buerhle
2. Garcia
3. Clement
4. Contreras
5. Garland

Can you guys imagine how great it would be if Contreras and Garland finally meet their potential? :smile: The rotation would be great, plus the bullpen is really stacked right now.I would love Clement pitch twice a year to the Cubs to stick it up their behinds for they way they treated him at the end of last season. I think Garland is #4 / Contreras #5 unless Contreras shows some control in Spring Training.

While they won't score as much as last year, they should be ok (if they get Clement / Perez or someone else to fill the rotation - if not they will be lucky to break .500) as long as they don't waste many innings / outs with Guillen going tilt on the bunt / steal signs. Podsednik stole 70 last year, 20 of which came the last few weeks when the season long lost any meaning for the Brewers.

Podsednik and others would also benefit from more discipline at the plate - waiting for better pitches and drawing more walks - to bring back "Winning Ugly" to the South Side. I am still skeptical this will work in the new ballpark (Comiskey was a much better pitcher / defense park) but as a Sox fan I will hope and pray (until I get disgusted - usually August or early September).

Richard Dreyfus (Jay Trotter) said it best in the movie Let It Ride - "You never know".

GiveMeSox
12-15-2004, 11:15 PM

So if that is true...we can move to the Odalis Perez watch. I wouldn't dobut it. It doesn't take a genuis to figure thats what big market big payroll teams do. If i was the dbacks, angles, or dodgers this is exactly what i would do. Bully the other teams with less fortune out of it. ITs very unlikely he will sign here. The only way he signs here is if he truely cares more about living and settling here with his wife and family that the money, however i doubt it. Anything short of his wife commanding that they remain in Chicago will land him to one of the big spending teams.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-15-2004, 11:16 PM
:drool:
If the White Sox can land either Matt Clement or Perez I'll be pumped!! I'm hoping that Matt decides to stay here in Chicago, it'd be a great present for the holidays from the White Sox org. Thank you Santa Kenny!!!!

Delivering under the radar--just like Santa!

WSox8404
12-15-2004, 11:24 PM
I like the sound of that rotation with clement in there also. If he could hold his ERA around four in the AL I think that would be worth about 14 to 16 wins with the Sox next year. A fifteen game winner in the three spot wouldnt be too bad.

HomeFish
12-15-2004, 11:28 PM
Looks like the ridiculous Clement to the White Sox rumors will end soon. We can all go and get false hopes for other players.

cburns
12-15-2004, 11:30 PM
I want another starter, but at the same time I'm afraid Clement isn't going to be as good as he was with the chubs....they don't deserve capitalization...bastards.

MRKARNO
12-15-2004, 11:32 PM
Looks like the ridiculous Clement to the White Sox rumors will end soon. We can all go and get false hopes for other players.
What gives you any reason to believe they were so ridiculous? If they were so ridiculous, then why after the White Sox entered the bidding did it completely change the whole situation as the Sox were the so-called "mystery team?" Clement has repetedly stated that he wants to stay in Chicago, Kenny has talked with him extensively and I think it can be presumed that he was given a fair offer. The only thing ridiculous is your irrational pessimism.

nodiggity59
12-15-2004, 11:34 PM
What gives you any reason to believe they were so ridiculous? If they were so ridiculous, then why after the White Sox entered the bidding did it completely change the whole situation as the Sox were the so-called "mystery team?" Clement has repetedly stated that he wants to stay in Chicago, Kenny has talked with him extensively and I think it can be presumed that he was given a fair offer. The only thing ridiculous is your irrational pessimism.
:worship:

Sox Mobile
12-15-2004, 11:43 PM
The last I heard, if 2 people view an event or idea in opposing ways, it is called a difference in opinions, not irrational pessimism by the person who disagrees with you.

soltrain21
12-15-2004, 11:45 PM
The last I heard, if 2 people view an event or idea in opposing ways, it is called a difference in opinions, not irrational pessimism by the person who disagrees with you.

You obviously haven't been around long enough to see what Homefish is about.

SEALgep
12-15-2004, 11:46 PM
What gives you any reason to believe they were so ridiculous? If they were so ridiculous, then why after the White Sox entered the bidding did it completely change the whole situation as the Sox were the so-called "mystery team?" Clement has repetedly stated that he wants to stay in Chicago, Kenny has talked with him extensively and I think it can be presumed that he was given a fair offer. The only thing ridiculous is your irrational pessimism.Ya Scrooge! :tongue:

MRKARNO
12-15-2004, 11:47 PM
The last I heard, if 2 people view an event or idea in opposing ways, it is called a difference in opinions, not irrational pessimism by the person who disagrees with you. Well I invite HomeFish to offer concrete reasons why this courtship of Clement is a nothing more than a mirage, a "ridiculous" false hope when almost every other bit of evidence has suggested to the contrary, no matter how you spin it. There's reasonable difference of opinion and then there's making irrational claims without evidence just to further your general agenda/point of view. The latter what HomeFish was doing there.

GiveMeSox
12-15-2004, 11:49 PM
The only thing ridicolous is the price guys liek Lieber, Milton, Ortiz, Wright, Lidle and other went for on the FA market. There is reason all them were being half of what they are demanding prior to being FA's this year. Its becuase with their past performance that is what they are worth. Notice how the price for clement before obig payroll teams got invloved was consistently 3 years 21 mil. Its cuz thats what hes worth. Only when spend without blinking an eye teams like Anaheim, LA, Boston, and such enter the picture does the situation become all messed up and blown out of proportion.

Sox Mobile
12-15-2004, 11:54 PM
I've been around long enough to see that some people can't agree to disagree.

HomeFish
12-16-2004, 12:12 AM

I'll believe it when I see it.

The White Sox haven't signed a big-name FA in years. We're offering Clement less money to play for a non-contending team when, at the same time, he's being offered bigger bucks from teams who will be in a far better position come October.

I would love nothing more than eating crow, but, sorry, I just don't see it happening.

CHISOXFAN13
12-16-2004, 12:18 AM

The White Sox haven't signed a big-name FA in years. We're offering Clement less money to play for a non-contending team when, at the same time, he's being offered bigger bucks from teams who will be in a far better position come October.

I would love nothing more than eating crow, but, sorry, I just don't see it happening.

Since you seem to know what the Sox have offered, would you care to share with the rest of the class?

SouthSideHitman
12-16-2004, 12:44 AM

The White Sox haven't signed a big-name FA in years.
That's what makes this seem so tantalizing to me. The rumors of getting RJ without giving up an arm and an outfield are too good to be true because he is top-tier free agent, of the kind that the Sox never go after. However Clement isn't quite good enough to be in Pedro, RJ, Renataria-land so it seems reasonable that the Sox could sign him. KW already had, by all acounts, about $3 million to play with before signing Lee, plus the $6 million that that got them, which gives them enough change to be serious. Besides that, Kenny has generally been good at selling poeple on the White Sox (see Garcia and Dye) and convincing players that their addition could send the team to the playoffs. When you combine that with what I'm sure is a love of Chicago by Clement, this seems just about right.

And this would be about the best addition I could see. It would be another, younger pitcher, for multiple years with a lot of upside. We'll finally be putting our money where our mouth is in terms of "pitching wins championships", which could pay off handsomly. Garland and Contreras are both pretty good right now for 4 and 5 guys and with the pressure off, they could both really blossom, plus our bullpen looks fairly cheap but very effective. I think that the lack of offense will be noticed, however on how to play baseball rather than softball might be good for this club and we would probably get a lot better marginal production out of our cheap hitters (Gload, Harris, Uribe, Davis) than our would-be cheap pitchers (Grilli, Wright (oops), etc.). Yup, I'm genuinly excited about this deal, albeit in a true Soxfan way of "well, it's not like we tore up the market, but given the budget, we did damn good."

santo=dorf
12-16-2004, 12:54 AM
That's what makes this seem so tantalizing to me. The rumors of getting RJ without giving up an arm and an outfield are too good to be true because he is top-tier free agent, of the kind that the Sox never go after.
RJ isn't a free agent.:?:

http://www.inovativecreations.com/probono/animations/radarAni.gif

I don't see KW anywhere!!!

OEO Magglio
12-16-2004, 08:16 AM

That's ridiculous. If the sox sign Clement, overall they have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball and that alone makes them a contender.