PDA

View Full Version : Clement.. ex-cub factor?

NardiWasHere
12-15-2004, 06:32 PM
Does anyone remember the Mike Royko method of choosing a World Series winner? He'd count up the ex-cubs on the teams and the team with the least amount of ex-cubs would win.... he called it the Ex-Cub-Factor... Funny thing is, it actually works.
That being said, is anyone afraid of signing Clement because of this? I have my reservations.. haha

MRKARNO
12-15-2004, 06:37 PM
The Red Sox won with Bill Mueller and Mark Bellhorn

SoxFan76
12-15-2004, 06:38 PM
If only NardiWasHere, Clement would be the Cy Young winner for sure!! Oh my gosh, he is here!

BRDSR
12-15-2004, 06:40 PM
It has crossed my mind, but in the case of Clement it doesn't worry me so much. I think it's because the Cubs never seemed to like him much. Even though he was more consistent than any of their starting pitchers last season, he still played fourth fiddle to Prior, Wood, and Maddux. And they NEVER gave him any run support. I remember a stretch where he gave up two earned runs during a span of 3 starts and didn't get a win out of it. 1 loss and two no decisions. He's not exactly Mr. Cub, I'm willing to take the risk on him.

voodoochile
12-15-2004, 06:44 PM
Okay, the team has to have at least 3 ex-flubbies for it to be considered an ex-flub factor situation and though it has been accurate in years past, there have been at least twice where the team with more ex-flubs and at least 3 has won the series.

Besides all that, it's a load of hooey...

Sign Clement, I'll take my chances...

NardiWasHere
12-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Mueller and Bellhorn are cancelled out by Womack and Ray King. It was a draw going into the series.

NardiWasHere
12-15-2004, 06:53 PM
1. Garland
2. Gload (wasn't he in their system for a tiny bit?)
3. Clement

Its cutting it close! hahahahaha. I'm afraid[COLOR=Teal]

DumpJerry
12-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Relax everyone. Royko said it took a minimum of three ex-Flubs, as Voodoo points out, for the factor to work.

Keep in mind that Royko was a flip-flopper who changed allegiances more than once on the Sox/Flub thing, so I don't put a lot of weight on his theories. Finally, to subscribe to the ex-Cub Factor, are we not sinking to the level of BoSox and Flub fans by claiming something resembling a curse?

MRKARNO
12-15-2004, 06:55 PM
The ex-Cub factor is up there with the "Curse of the Bambino" and the "Curse of the Billy Goat" in it's ridiculousness.

DumpJerry
12-15-2004, 06:55 PM
BTW, I have my own ex-Cub theory. To be a great player in MLB, you should sign with the Flubs and then move on. Look at Lou Brock, for example. What others can we think of?

George Bell?

NardiWasHere
12-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Maddux and Garland[COLOR=Teal]
I'm the moron new guy who doesnt know how to use color in his posts... eh forget it... i gotta study for a final tomorrow

Banix12
12-15-2004, 06:59 PM
I thought the ex-cub factor was disproven when the Diamondbacks won in 2001 with 4 ex-cubs
1)Mark Grace
2)Miguel Batista
3)Mike Morgan
4)Luis Gonzalez

SpartanSoxFan
12-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Does anyone remember the Mike Royko method of choosing a World Series winner? He'd count up the ex-cubs on the teams and the team with the least amount of ex-cubs would win.... he called it the Ex-Cub-Factor... Funny thing is, it actually works.
That being said, is anyone afraid of signing Clement because of this? I have my reservations.. haha
Maybe you should watch out for those goats, Bartmans, and Bambinos in the near future...

NardiWasHere
12-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Maybe you should watch out for those goats, Bartmans, and Bambinos in the near future...

Are you telling me that this isn't a completely serious and accurate way to measure a team?? NO!

I THINK I FINALLY FIGURED OUT THE COLOR THING! Nardiwashere- a work in progress...

Jjav829
12-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Are you telling me that this isn't a completely serious and accurate way to measure a team?? NO!

I THINK I FINALLY FIGURED OUT THE COLOR THING! Nardiwashere- a work in progress...
Hey, congrats! There are people here with hundreds more posts than you that still haven't figured it out. You're definitely ahead of the curve. :cool:

SouthSide_HitMen
12-15-2004, 10:21 PM
Just remember the Cubs had their greatest success in 1876 - 1889 when they were called Da.....

Chicago White Stockings - Six Pennants during that span.

FedEx227
12-15-2004, 10:31 PM
I love the Ex-Cub factor, but its really more of a fun thing than anything that can be taken seriously, it does rank with the Bambino and the Goat as complete stupidness, but at least you can laugh about the Ex-Cub Factor.

but yeah...if we sign Clement we got 3...........:o::o::o:

NardiWasHere
12-15-2004, 10:58 PM
FedEx is a smart man... I wasn't completely serious about the whole thing, more of a joke than anything else... it takes someone from good 'ol DG to realize that.... go Trojans... state champs 2004 baby

jcw218
12-16-2004, 02:28 AM
If the Sox sign Clement as it's rumored that we are close to doing, that would give us two ex-cubs on the roster; Clement and Gload. While it is true that Garland was in the cubs organization, he never played for them at the major league level. I thought that a player had to have actually played for the cubs at the major league level for that to work.

SpartanSoxFan
12-16-2004, 03:11 AM
Hey, congrats! There are people here with hundreds more posts than you that still haven't figured it out. You're definitely ahead of the curve. :cool:
I honestly don't understand why its so hard for others to figure out. When you get the color pull-down thingy and move the cursor over the different colors, the names of the colors pop up...:?:

MUsoxfan
12-16-2004, 03:24 AM
I honestly don't understand why its so hard for others to figure out. When you get the color pull-down thingy and move the cursor over the different colors, the names of the colors pop up...:?:
Indeed....that's why when those off-teal colors (green, sea green, and medium turqouise) pop up, Im usually upset

Fisk Fan
12-16-2004, 08:00 AM
If we do sign Clement, let's try to make sure noone wears those stupid fake goatees to any game.......It's soooo gay!