PDA

View Full Version : Who is a REALISTIC SP we can sign or trade for?

ChicagoHoosier
12-15-2004, 05:45 PM
I agree with the other thread that RJ appears to cost too much for the trade. Looking at all the FA SP out there, is there anyone (I see many of you posting Clement) out there who we a) can sign for 6-8 mil or b) can/will KW or JR even up the ante to pay 10 mil for? Who do you like?

MRKARNO
12-15-2004, 05:47 PM
I think there's a general concensus that we'd all be happy with Odalis Perez or Matt Clement. Anyone else probably wouldnt cut it though Derek Lowe would provoke some interesting discussion.

Banix12
12-15-2004, 06:53 PM
I'd love a Perez or Clement or Lowe but knowing us and how many teams are overpaying it just doesn't seem likelyI'm just looking at some reasonable ideas here

Unfortunately the team with the most starting pitching talent is the one just north of us that we never want to trade with. I know the cubs would never trade the big four but they need a closer and we have four guys with closing experience as well as Vizcaino who is considered a future closer. When you figure in Dempster and Rusch they have six guys who can start on the major league roster as well as their lingering minor league stud Angel Guzman. How about one of our relievers for say a Ryan Dempster. It's a gamble but he's cheap and gives us payroll to pursue a middle infielder and if he works out he should be good enough to slip in as a no# 3 starter.

Though I know it is a sin to suggest a trade with the cubs so I'll do a couple rosaries as a penance.

Other Ideas. Orlando Hernandez? Durability questions but he threw the ball well at the end of last year. If he gets worn down you can use him and Hermanson as swingmen in and out of the bullpen.
Maybe see if the Rockies want to talk about Joe Kennedy or see if the Ancient Jaime Moyer has anything in the tank after his awful year last year.

Ok most of these suggestions stink. Let's all hope for clement.

MRKARNO
12-15-2004, 06:56 PM
I'd love a Perez or Clement or Lowe but knowing us and how many teams are overpaying it just doesn't seem likelyI'm just looking at some reasonable ideas here

The highest offer I've heard for Perez was 3 years 21 million and it came from the Washington Nationals whose future is very murky right now.

CHIsoxNation
12-15-2004, 06:57 PM
I agree with everyone, I really would love to see Clement or Perez solidify the starting rotation. For what it's worth, I was watching Comcast Sports Net and they were talking about Matt Clement and mentioning how the White Sox is the number 1 team in the Clement bidding. They mentioned again how he wants to stay in Chicago and the Sox "appear" to be making sure he stays in Chicago. So who knows...

S.S. Lumber Yard
12-15-2004, 06:58 PM
I agree with everyone, I really would love to see Clement or Perez solidify the starting rotation. For what it's worth, I was watching Comcast Sports Net and they were talking about Matt Clement and mentioning how the White Sox is the number 1 team in the Clement bidding. They mentioned again how he wants to stay in Chicago and the Sox "appear" to be making sure he stays in Chicago. So who knows...
Well, it sounds like it is in the bag.

CHIsoxNation
12-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Well, it sounds like it is in the bag.
Let's hope so!

S.S. Lumber Yard
12-15-2004, 07:02 PM
It would be a perfect offseason, as close to one as you can get on the South Side, if somehow we ended up with Matt Clement. Take that Flubbies! :bandance:

MarkyBear
12-15-2004, 07:13 PM
I'd like to see Lowe come here first, but with Borass as his agent, I know that's not possible...

Perez??? Having 2 lefties would be good, especially one with a higher groundball ration...

Clement??? K guy, would be nice too...

But I been hearing a rumor all day, someone at another site has been swearing up and down that the Sox can trade Uribe/BMac and Anderson/Sweeney to Oaktown for Hudson...

I think it's non-sense, but has anyone else heard anything about this???

SouthSide_HitMen
12-15-2004, 07:16 PM
Wow - A Post both the "Cheap and Stupid" and "Wise and Savvy" camps can agree on.

ChicagoHoosier
12-15-2004, 10:07 PM
How come nobody is talking about Kevin Millwood or Eric Milton? Both would be great additions to the rotation! I know Millwood has an injury he bounced back from, but are these two guys too expensive for the Sox to pursue???

Having thrown those names out, Clement at 8 mil would be nice, but he's not worth 10.

Since i see another good post on this same subject today with more replies, I'll redirect everyone to there!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=544909&mode=linear&highlight=Milton#post544909

MRKARNO
12-15-2004, 10:15 PM
How come nobody is talking about Kevin Millwood or Eric Milton? Both would be great additions to the rotation! I know Millwood has an injury he bounced back from, but are these two guys too expensive for the Sox to pursue???

No one's talking about them because they're not that good. They're bad values based on what they're asking and neither is what I'd call an "impact" pitcher.

Rocklive99
12-15-2004, 10:19 PM
I hate to sound pessimistic or anything, of course I want this team to sign a SP and win, but there is also the chance that we get no one. Everyone has it a given that it will either be Clement or Odalis Perez, but KW said that worst case scenario will be Grilli or Schoeny :( (Which is sad because Grilli has no buisness on a major league rotation and I am hoping that we get the pitching we need (no room in the pen IMO) to make Schoeny a FA)

NonetheLoaiza
12-15-2004, 10:19 PM

Having thrown those names out, Clement at 8 mil would be nice, but he's not worth 10.
If I'm not mistaken, both are going to command fairly large salaries and are injury risks. As of right now, I would have to say that Clement is the best option. If that doesn't pan out, I see KW going after Perez. We almost traded for last offseason, and I think KW is pretty big on him.

FedEx227
12-15-2004, 10:20 PM
I like the idea of Perez the most. Clement had some big time exposure the last few years meaning the biggest Small market team in the world, The White Sox, won't be able to get him. Perez though is over-looked so its likely he'll be the new starter added, I'd rather see Clement though.

But we must make one promise as Sox fans, DO NOT wear those stupid Abe Lincoln Beards...PLEASE!

MeanFish
12-15-2004, 10:22 PM
I'd imagine that most of us are hoping that Clement himself won't be wearing one if he joins us.

Tragg
12-15-2004, 10:22 PM
I see Perez, Clement and a huge gap to everyone else. If $9 is overpaying those 2, and it may be, $5 is overpaying the others and by a lot more.

I don't know that we have a lot to trade for a starter; if I had a worthy starter I could trade, I'd hold out for as much in talent as these FA pitchers are holding out for salary.

I hope someohw we can get Perez or Clement, find another infielder and go into spring.

FedEx227
12-15-2004, 10:29 PM
I'd imagine that most of us are hoping that Clement himself won't be wearing one if he joins us.
yes he was much better suited clean shaven, but I also wouldn't mind a Rollie Fingers handlebar stash myself...

MRKARNO
12-15-2004, 10:38 PM
I see Perez, Clement and a huge gap to everyone else. If $9 is overpaying those 2, and it may be, $5 is overpaying the other and by a lot more.

I agree. After Pedro, these were the best two on the market in my opinion, including Pavano and others who have already signed. None of the others are very good. Millwood? Milton? Ick, definatley not worth 5-6 million IMO.

Banix12
12-15-2004, 11:47 PM
Millwood is decent but I doubt we could afford him, he also spent a good portion of last year on the DL with elbow problems. As for Milton, he's a flyball pitcher and do we really want flyball pitchers in the Cell? He gave up 43 hrs last year in Phildelphia. I know that Philly is a hitters park, but all that means is if he comes here he'd probably give up about 40 hrs, maybe more.