PDA

View Full Version : Pods on Telander

hosieryofthegods
12-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Just heard that Pods is going to be on Telander next.

Palehose13
12-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Just heard that Pods is going to be on Telander next.
D'OH! Don't have a radio. :(: Please fill us in.

hosieryofthegods
12-15-2004, 05:03 PM
Well, it seems as though what we hoped for was true. He admitted trying to be everything for the Brew crew last year. He said he swung for the fences, and realized he's not that type of player. He saw that his batting avg came down. He will not try to pull the ball so much. Wants to get on base a lot.

Telander asked him about comparisons of him and Ichiro. Pod said that Ichiro is more likely to hit a ground ball to the left side. He says he is more likely to drive the ball into the outfield.

Rick also asked about the baserunning. Scott said that he really enjoys running the bases. He said it's like a cat and mouse game, and he really likes working it.

Pods also said he doesn't care at all whether he plays cf or lf. Sounds good to me. Hopefully he is successful.:rolleyes:

Palehose13
12-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the update.

mweflen
12-15-2004, 05:07 PM
If he hits .290+ with a .350+ OBP and 50+ steals, then what can I say, KW you're a genius.

AS LONG AS YOU PICK UP PEREZ OR CLEMENT WITH THE REMAINDER......

DaleJRFan
12-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Well, it seems as though what we hoped for was true. He admitted trying to be everything for the Brew crew last year. He said he swung for the fences, and realized he's not that type of player. He saw that his batting avg came down. He will not try to pull the ball so much. Wants to get on base a lot.

Telander asked him about comparisons of him and Ichiro. Pod said that Ichiro is more likely to hit a ground ball to the left side. He says he is more likely to drive the ball into the outfield.

Rick also asked about the baserunning. Scott said that he really enjoys running the bases. He said it's like a cat and mouse game, and he really likes working it.

Pods also said he doesn't care at all whether he plays cf or lf. Sounds good to me. Hopefully he is successful.:rolleyes:I didn't hear the interview, but if this dude is willing to admit his own mistakes/faults, and not blame the team, that rocks. I think he's off on the right foot. Good for him.

DumpJerry
12-15-2004, 05:27 PM
I didn't hear the interview, but if this dude is willing to admit his own mistakes/faults, and not blame the team, that rocks. I think he's off on the right foot. Good for him.Not only is he different from Ichiro (by his admission), but different from Scammy. The day Scammy admits to weaknesses as a player (or as a person) and is willing to change for the good of the team is the day Earth and Mars collide.

hosieryofthegods
12-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Yeah, will be nice to have a guy that hustles and doesn't blame anybody. Would be nice to have a clone of Rowand that doesn't have that pop, but gets on base for the original Rowand and Frank.

"Hello Scotty Pod."

MUsoxfan
12-16-2004, 03:59 AM
If he hits .290+ with a .350+ OBP and 50+ steals, then what can I say, KW you're a genius.

AS LONG AS YOU PICK UP PEREZ OR CLEMENT WITH THE REMAINDER......

He's a genius without Perez or Clement. I can't wait to watch Scotty Po play

Mohoney
12-16-2004, 06:51 AM
He's a genius without Perez or Clement. I can't wait to watch Scotty Po play
Neither can I.

LF or CF, I'm fine either way. Between Pods and Rowand, we're going to turn quite a few doubles into singles in that Left-Center gap.

Plus, if Willie bats 9th and Rock can get him to steal more bases, we have speed to burn on the basepaths from the 9, 1, and 2 spots in the order.

Rowand was 17-22 last year. I have no problem giving him 40+ attempts to see what kind of base stealer he can be. These guys getting to 2B will equate to a lot of extra RBI for Frank.

DSpivack
12-16-2004, 07:16 AM
now that the sox have some speed...

can we bring back "go, go, go" or is that a remnant of the past that should stay that way?

Clembasbal
12-16-2004, 07:37 AM
I know that this guy is going to be a treat, I can't remember the last time the Sox had a speedster (Raines probably - Durham not really).

Also, can we not call him Pods...that nickname is so stupid. S-Pod is so much better.

JRIG
12-16-2004, 07:45 AM
I know that this guy is going to be a treat, I can't remember the last time the Sox had a speedster (Raines probably - Durham not really).

Also, can we not call him Pods...that nickname is so stupid. S-Pod is so much better.
Lou Frazier? He had 4 SB in one game.

Realist
12-16-2004, 07:51 AM
One aspect of this trade that I haven't seen given much discussion is the effect it's going to have on Willie Harris and Aaron Rowand on the basepaths. I have to imagine there has to be some residual effect to having a guy on your team that just stole 70 bases the season before. I wouldn't be shocked to see some competitive fire under some of the journey men White Sox baserunners, and saying this even before mentioning Tim Raines re-joining the ranks.

A lot of people also seem to forget that we still have a few people that can knock the living crap outta the ball. It's gonna be a different team than we're used to and I think it's at least gonna be a lotta fun. That's really cool with me.

Welcome aboard, Scott Podsednik! Just remember... see the ball.... hit the ball. :wink: You obviously know what to do after that.

Iguana775
12-16-2004, 08:33 AM
One aspect of this trade that I haven't seen given much discussion is the effect it's going to have on Willie Harris and Aaron Rowand on the basepaths. I have to imagine there has to be some residual effect to having a guy on your team that just stole 70 bases the season before. I wouldn't be shocked to see some competitive fire under some of the journey men White Sox baserunners, and saying this even before mentioning Tim Raines re-joining the ranks.

A lot of people also seem to forget that we still have a few people that can knock the living crap outta the ball. It's gonna be a different team than we're used to and I think it's at least gonna be a lotta fun. That's really cool with me.

Welcome aboard, Scott Podsednik! Just remember... see the ball.... hit the ball. :wink: You obviously know what to do after that.
right. if Pod can get Willie to realize that he's fast and to run more, then the sox could be fun to watch. and maybe Pod could give willie some tips on getting jumps.

Frater Perdurabo
12-16-2004, 09:37 AM
Neither can I.

LF or CF, I'm fine either way. Between Pods and Rowand, we're going to turn quite a few doubles into singles in that Left-Center gap.

Plus, if Willie bats 9th and Rock can get him to steal more bases, we have speed to burn on the basepaths from the 9, 1, and 2 spots in the order.

Rowand was 17-22 last year. I have no problem giving him 40+ attempts to see what kind of base stealer he can be. These guys getting to 2B will equate to a lot of extra RBI for Frank.

Consider also that with runners more likely to be on second or third rather than first, Konerko's GIDP numbers should decline. Sure, he still may hit into ground ball outs, but many times those ground balls will advance the runner or even knock them in for an RBI. The 1B formerly known as GIDPK will be more often known as GIRBIPK.

Also, with Harris, Podsednik and potentially Rowand wreaking havoc on the basepaths, opposing pitchers will serve up more fastballs and/or mistake pitches to Frank, Konerko and Everett.

:bandance: Your 2005 Chicago White Sox offense: Thunder and Lightning :bandance:

Mohoney
12-16-2004, 09:48 AM
I really like this guy's approach. I heard a quote from him on Comcast Sports before the Bulls game last night, and this guy sounds excited to be here working with Ozzie.

He wants to get away from swinging for the fences and go more toward spraying the ball to all fields.

Scots-Sox
12-16-2004, 09:52 AM
:bandance: Your 2005 Chicago White Sox offense: Thunder and Lightning :bandance:[/QUOTE]

Long time (well about 3 years) reader and first time poster here. But hey Frater Perdurabo I thing you may have just hit on a name there. If we can play like that through the season, speed, power and brains then hopefully we will get somewhere this season.

Lets all have a great New Year :smile:

Frater Perdurabo
12-16-2004, 09:54 AM
:bandance: Your 2005 Chicago White Sox offense: Thunder and Lightning :bandance:

Long time (well about 3 years) reader and first time poster here. But hey Frater Perdurabo I thing you may have just hit on a name there. If we can play like that through the season, speed, power and brains then hopefully we will get somewhere this season.

Lets all have a great New Year :smile:

Hey, welcome aboard.

Scots-Sox
12-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks mate. I've spent a lot of time reading you guys as I try to learn the finer points of the game (as well as the basics -LOL), that's why I read rather than post. Have been following the Sox for about 3 years, spend a lot of time listening to the games over the net through the night and enjoyed watching several that way too last season.

Frater Perdurabo
12-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks mate. I've spent a lot of time reading you guys as I try to learn the finer points of the game (as well as the basics -LOL), that's why I read rather than post. Have been following the Sox for about 3 years, spend a lot of time listening to the games over the net through the night and enjoyed watching several that way too last season.

Only now did I bother to read the right side of your message to see that you are posting from the other side of the pond! In that case, Cheers! Good to know that there are Sox fans all over the globe.

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

anewman35
12-16-2004, 10:37 AM
Just curious - how does somebody from Scotland become a Sox fan?

SSN721
12-16-2004, 10:39 AM
Welcome aboard. Hopefully you will see this year a slightly more fundamental game then you have from this team in the past. How did you become interested in the Sox?

Scots-Sox
12-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Just curious - how does somebody from Scotland become a Sox fan?[/CODE]

We get masochists over here too ??????????? :D:

Seriously? Channel 5 have been showing live baseball on Sunday and Wednesday nights for a few years now (Channel 4 did about 15 years ago) and I got hooked watching again. Luckily I was a mature student at the time so the time difference didn't really matter.

I have a friend down in Springfield so I thought we were nearer (I now know it's probably the Cards) and I was more likely to see a game if I visit.

I like the uniform, OK not a great reason but who wants to walk around with a big "C" on your chest - LOL. I like history, good and bad, and we sure have lots of that.

I lived in Dublin for 6 years and my soccer team, Shelbourne, came out of a twenty year slump to start winning leagues and cups. Since coming home to Dumfries our team, Queen Of The South, has performed pretty well. I'm hopefull that this may carry over to the Sox next year, although I might have to move to Chicago for that to happen.

Seriously though, I loved Mags and Carlos, but things had to change. I don't know enough to be sure but I'm getting quite excited about us becoming really competitive (Oh yes I'm a Sox fan and I hate late August/September too). I like what I have seen of Clement, if we do get him or Perez and Crede can produce consistently solid numbers with everyone else producing what we can reasonably expect then I think we might have a very enjoyable new year.

Thanks for making me welcome folks.

Clembasbal
12-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Lou Frazier? He had 4 SB in one game.
Oh come one. He played 7 games that year, started one, and stole 4 bases in that one game...he was released like a day later. Should your quote have been in teal?

S-Pod will demolish Frazier's stats!! You can guarantee that!

idseer
12-16-2004, 11:26 AM

i was thinking ... scotty poddy. :cool:

eriqjaffe
12-16-2004, 11:30 AM
I think the last legitimate SB threat the Sox had was Lance Johnson, and he never stole more than 41 in a season with the Sox. But he did swipe 50 in his only full season with the Mets...and he was 101/120 (84.1%) between 1993-1995.

I was reading the forums over at Brewerfan.net, and...well, sure, they're all peeing themselves about the trade (and rightfully so), but they all seemed to think very highly of Pods as a person - said he had made quite a connection with the fans - so he might be a good public face for the New Look Sox.

Jurr
12-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Just curious - how does somebody from Scotland become a Sox fan?Hey Hey Hey.....we don't look a gift horse in the mouth....WELCOME ABOARD! We can't get Chicago people to take to the Sox, we'll get 'em from abroad!