PDA

View Full Version : Which Low Cost Free Agent Would You Sign?

SouthSide_HitMen
12-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Ollie Oxen Free - Take a Chance on Me:

Which of these low cost free agent blue light specials should the Sox take a chance on to fill a hole in 2005?

MeanFish
12-15-2004, 02:24 PM
Is there supposed to be a list?

soltrain21
12-15-2004, 02:25 PM
I see no list...so I wouldn't mind seeing Cairo.

MeanFish
12-15-2004, 02:27 PM
I don't mind the idea of Joe Randa. But I also like Cairo.

tlebar318
12-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Beltran of course! :D:

mweflen
12-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Pee-yew.

None of the above.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Pee-yew.

None of the above.
Sorry, not much available at the blue light special price. The thread is mainly for which of the above could be a good bargin in 2004 - Players like Uribe and Takatsu who were signed cheap and performed above cost / expectations.

Ol' No. 2
12-15-2004, 02:43 PM
I would sign Orlando Hernandez as a fifth starter only. Right now the Sox are looking for a #3 or better, so he doesn't qualify. But if they should trade Garland for Hudson or something like that, I would take Hernandez as a fifth.

mweflen
12-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Sorry, not much available at the blue light special price. The thread is mainly for which of the above could be a good bargin in 2004 - Players like Uribe and Takatsu who were signed cheap and performed above cost / expectations.
I agree on the relative lack of bargain players. And if we try to Jerry Krause these things, we'll be about as successful as he left the Bulls. High hopes and exceeding expectations don't win pennants.

I personally think we should sign A.J. Pierzynski and Odalis Perez. That would probably put us at about $77 or 78 mil total (from $63 mil after the trade), which, though an increase, is only fair since the Sox have raised ticket prices by 15% across the board, as well as other ancillary fees.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-15-2004, 02:54 PM
I agree on the relative lack of bargain players. And if we try to Jerry Krause these things, we'll be about as successful as he left the Bulls. High hopes and exceeding expectations don't win pennants.

I personally think we should sign A.J. Pierzynski and Odalis Perez. That would probably put us at about $77 or 78 mil total (from $63 mil after the trade), which, though an increase, is only fair since the Sox have raised ticket prices by 15% across the board, as well as other ancillary fees.
I would like both signings though I don't know what AJ would cost (Perez will be several mil / year). If they can get AJ cheaper than the $3.5 mil he made in 2004, it would be good - the Sox cannot afford another hole in the lineup - Ben Davis is a good backup but will not hold up well under 120 games.

Bobby Thigpen
12-15-2004, 03:01 PM
I'll take
1. Barry Larkin- allows Uribe to play second when he plays, Uribe can play SS, Willie to 2B when he sits- which I figure will be about twice a week.

2. ELo- Bullpen arm, possible fifth starter.

3. Wilson Alvarez- see ELo

I think you could easily get all 3 for around 3- mill for next year and I think they would all greatly contribute at some point in the year.

Mohoney
12-15-2004, 03:06 PM
But if they should trade Garland for Hudson or something like that, I would take Hernandez as a fifth.
If this happens, I'll build a bronze statue of Ken Williams on my front lawn.

A Hudson trade, El Duque signed, and GARLAND GONE?

TheBull19
12-16-2004, 10:20 AM
I'd like to get Alvarez for the 2nd lefty in the pen - and the sox would be in a great position with him and Hermanson as emergency starters, assuming the sox get another starter.

eshunn2001
12-16-2004, 10:24 AM
I would sign Orlando Hernandez as a fifth starter only. Right now the Sox are looking for a #3 or better, so he doesn't qualify. But if they should trade Garland for Hudson or something like that, I would take Hernandez as a fifth.
Took the words right out of my mouth. He would be a great #5. I'd give my left nut for a Hudson Deal..