PDA

View Full Version : IF KW and JR Really wanted to WIN...

ukigdog
12-15-2004, 11:22 AM
If KW and JR really wanted to win, they immediately would sign :

1. Matt Clement
2. Placido Polanco

Without any hesitation. Hearing that we may wait till june, or see whats out there shows me that they are Full of CRAP---> CMON KENNY STOP SCREWIN AROUND!!

MeanFish
12-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Let me raise this question though...if we were to sign Matt Clement or Odalis Perez for enough money where we could no longer afford another position player, would you razz KW?

If the aforementioned pitchers are currently looking at $24M/3yrs, you can only expect the final number to be higher than that. If we've got $10M to spend in 2005, there's a very good chance that in the event that we do land one of them we can't afford another guy.

Expecting a second guy is probably a pipe dream.

Of course, Polanco could be a great backup plan if we *don't* get another pitcher. Ideally, the *only* reason we have to revert to plan B would be if Moreno and Epstein each overpay in order to round out their rotation. Remember, Moreno's always got money to spend and Epstein has a whole bunch of money left that initally had Pedro Martinez' name on it. That's a scary prospect.

BRDSR
12-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Let me raise this question though...if we were to sign Matt Clement or Odalis Perez for enough money where we could no longer afford another position player, would you razz KW?

If the aforementioned pitchers are currently looking at $24M/3yrs, you can only expect the final number to be higher than that. If we've got $10M to spend in 2005, there's a very good chance that in the event that we do land one of them we can't afford another guy.

Expecting a second guy is probably a pipe dream.

Of course, Polanco could be a great backup plan if we *don't* get another pitcher. Ideally, the *only* reason we have to revert to plan B would be if Moreno and Epstein each overpay in order to round out their rotation. Remember, Moreno's always got money to spend and Epstein has a whole bunch of money left that initally had Pedro Martinez' name on it. That's a scary prospect.
I really don't think that the White Sox are going to win a bidding war with the Red Sox and Angels. Thats not where my hope is. My hope is that Clement was serious when he said that he wanted to stay in Chicago and that the White Sox are serious when they say they want Clement. My hope is that an extra million or two per year is enough to Clement to stay in Chicago. Apparently his wife loves it here and we all know how much control a wife can have over her man. However, we all know how much wives love money. Anyway, I hope that the White Sox treat him with respect and offer him a very respectable contract that, even if it doesn't quite match up to the Red Sox' and Angels', Clement will see that he's wanted on the South Side and sign regardless.

FightingBillini
12-15-2004, 11:37 AM
If KW and JR really wanted to win, they immediately would sign :

1. Matt Clement
2. Placido Polanco

Without any hesitation. Hearing that we may wait till june, or see whats out there shows me that they are Full of CRAP---> CMON KENNY STOP SCREWIN AROUND!!I disagree with the title of this thread. CLEARLY, Kenny Williams wants to win. He has made countless moves to better the team, unlike Schuyler who used to sit on his hands. Some have worked, some haven't, but he tries. He mentions 1917, it bothers him. He want to go the the Series. He doesn't like losing to the Twins. He has done everything WITHIN HIS POWER to make the Sox a championship caliber team.

JR on the other hand, obviously doesn't care at all about winning. He cares about a hefty profit, and nothing else. If he gave Kenny some extra money to spend, maybe we could actually win the division.

MeanFish
12-15-2004, 11:38 AM
I really don't think that the White Sox are going to win a bidding war with the Red Sox and Angels. Thats not where my hope is. My hope is that Clement was serious when he said that he wanted to stay in Chicago and that the White Sox are serious when they say they want Clement. My hope is that an extra million or two per year is enough to Clement to stay in Chicago. Apparently his wife loves it here and we all know how much control a wife can have over her man. However, we all know how much wives love money. Anyway, I hope that the White Sox treat him with respect and offer him a very respectable contract that, even if it doesn't quite match up to the Red Sox' and Angels', Clement will see that he's wanted on the South Side and sign regardless.
You just contradicted yourself though. Of *course* the team is serious about getting Matt Clement. I believe they will definitely offer him a respectable contract (likely, they already have), I'm just hoping that it's enough. It would be nice to see him join us next year because he truly likes Chicago. I'd be thrilled. But if he doesn't, it won't be because we didn't try.

Palehose13
12-15-2004, 11:41 AM
I can't take it anymore! I refresh this board like a trained chimp! Can I give you guys my cell phone # and someone call IF and WHEN something happens??? I'm starting to look like this: :mg:

MeanFish
Apparently, as was posted in another thread, the BoSox just signed Renteria to a $40M contract. That boosts our chances a TON.

NonetheLoaiza
Does anyone think that the fact he already played in Chicago is an advantage for the Sox? Likely he is going to go where the money is, but does the fact he already knows the city make it any easier to sign him?

eriqjaffe
12-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Of course, Polanco could be a great backup plan if we *don't* get another pitcher. Ideally, the *only* reason we have to revert to plan B would be if Moreno and Epstein each overpay in order to round out their rotation. Remember, Moreno's always got money to spend and Epstein has a whole bunch of money left that initally had Pedro Martinez' name on it. That's a scary prospect.You're forgetting the core tenet of the JR/KW administration:

White Sox Baseball - Plan B Is Our Plan A!