PDA

View Full Version : VR: How our new sox will do in 05!!

GiveMeSox
12-15-2004, 01:03 AM
So i was thinking how to evalute all the roster changes and asses what this team will be like. This got me thinking, why not just do it in MVP Baseball 04. Its the best tool we got to reflect how well this team will do. So i made all the roster changes, No Maggs, No Carlos, No Jose. Picked up Hermansen, Posednick, Viscaino, Dye and for hopings sake I also added Odailis Perez to our roster. I let the computer sim the enitre 2004 season becuase thats all we got. Interesting enought before adding Perez our rotation was rated as 15th best overall, after his addition as 6th best!!

LF - Possednick
SS - Uribe
DH - Thomas
1B - Konerko
RF - Dye
CF - Rowand
C - Davis
3B - Crede
2B - Harris

Buehrle
Garcia
Perez
Contreras
Garland

For 2004 this team as its comprised today based on EA Sports MVP Baseball 2004 went, YOUR'RE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS, went 84-78. I whooping 1 game better than we actually did in 2004. I know its just a sim but its the closes thing we got. The funny part is THIS WAS GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN THE DIVISION. And then we promptly lost the Yanks in the 1st round of the playoffs. Here are some stats.

Possednick hit .317 with 20 hr and a .361 OBP
Team BA was .265
Team ERA was 3.92
Shingo had 38 saves with an era of 2.51.
Contreras, Garcia, Buehrle, Perez all had ERA's in the 3's.
CREDE HIT .256 with 19 HR, wow about .250!!!!

Hell i would hope something like this happens. I dont care how pretty or not i want a division crown.

MeanFish
12-15-2004, 01:21 AM
The only problem with that is that the numbers used to characterize the players are a year old.

Podsednik's numbers were based off of his 2003 season where he was an awesome leadoff hitter. He likely won't do that again.

However, other than that, the lineup actually short-changes a few guys. For instance...

Dye, Rowand, Harris, and Uribe all hit better last year than their projections. Therefore, expect them to do better than the game would have had them do. Also, our bullpen in that game would be without Shingo. That's a pretty big difference.

batmanZoSo
12-15-2004, 01:52 AM
The only problem with that is that the numbers used to characterize the players are a year old.

Podsednik's numbers were based off of his 2003 season where he was an awesome leadoff hitter. He likely won't do that again.

However, other than that, the lineup actually short-changes a few guys. For instance...

Dye, Rowand, Harris, and Uribe all hit better last year than their projections. Therefore, expect them to do better than the game would have had them do. Also, our bullpen in that game would be without Shingo. That's a pretty big difference.
Yes, and furthermore, uh...it's a video game!

longshot7
12-15-2004, 02:15 AM
This sounds pretty accurate to me. I think I'll start bitching about 2006 now.

Stumblinfool
12-15-2004, 02:22 AM
This is also the game where Ben Davis hit 320 and had 30 HRs for me one season. Still not happy about the trade and probably always will be bitter twords it.

GiveMeSox
12-15-2004, 02:34 AM

No i created Shingo in create a player. I used his exact bio stats and pitches. In the game hes pretty solid with his frisbee (palmball in the game) at 60 to 65 mph and his fastball at 87 to 89.

GiveMeSox
12-15-2004, 02:36 AM
This sounds pretty accurate to me. I think I'll start bitching about 2006 now.
It really was pretty accurate. Like Paulie had 34 homers and 107 rbi batting .278 and Frank batted .267 with 29 hr's and 98 rbi. Rowand hit like .270 with 20 hrs and 66 rbi, Dye hit .265 with 25 homers an 82 rbi, Davis hit .253 with 13 hrs.

kittle42
12-15-2004, 09:14 AM
It really was pretty accurate. Like Paulie had 34 homers and 107 rbi batting .278 and Frank batted .267 with 29 hr's and 98 rbi. Rowand hit like .270 with 20 hrs and 66 rbi, Dye hit .265 with 25 homers an 82 rbi, Davis hit .253 with 13 hrs.
Dude, it's a freakin' video game.

I think I'll go play Operation Desert Storm to see the best way to defeat Iraqi insurgents.

PorkChopExpress
12-15-2004, 09:20 AM
How did you get Shingo Takatsu? I didn't know he was a player in MVP 2004.

PorkChopExpress
12-15-2004, 09:24 AM

The other problem is that you have to make sure that all the teams in the league get updated as well. The 2005 Sox may do well against a 2003 version of another team, but how will they do against the 2005 version?

kittle42
12-15-2004, 09:24 AM
How did you get Shingo Takatsu? I didn't know he was a player in MVP 2004.No i created Shingo in create a player. I used his exact bio stats and pitches. In the game hes pretty solid with his frisbee (palmball in the game) at 60 to 65 mph and his fastball at 87 to 89.A few posts above.

The other problem is that you have to make sure that all the teams in the league get updated as well. The 2005 Sox may do well against a 2003 version of another team, but how will they do against the 2005 version?
The other problem is it's a video game.

Foulke29
12-15-2004, 09:27 AM

I think I'll go play Operation Desert Storm to see the best way to defeat Iraqi insurgents.Why not? I play Worlds of Warcraft to figure out the best way to slay orcs and undead.

I also play Diddy Kong Racing to figure out how well a monkey would do running a racing car race against a mouse - surprisingly the mouse wins nearly every time!

bennyw41
12-15-2004, 09:30 AM
Injuries. Temper Tantrums. Manager moves. Trades.

Video game reinactments are stupid.

kittle42
12-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Why not? I play Worlds of Warcraft to figure out the best way to slay orcs and undead.

I also play Diddy Kong Racing to figure out how well a monkey would do running a racing car race against a mouse - surprisingly the mouse wins nearly every time!
Similarly, when I had to figure out the best strategy for dodging barrels thrown by a gorilla who stole my girlfriend, I played Donkey Kong for hours on end.

Ol' No. 2
12-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Umm...If you played it with last years' roster, would it have predicted Willie crashing into Maggs and taking him out for the season? Would it have predicted the Red Sox winning the whole enchilada? Time for a reality check here.

mjharrison72
12-15-2004, 10:32 AM

I think I'll go play Operation Desert Storm to see the best way to defeat Iraqi insurgents.You mean our military isn't already doing that? I think you're right, the baseball sim is a lousy way to figure the Sox' chances next year, but it's an interesting concept, though imperfect.

DaleJRFan
12-15-2004, 10:36 AM
So i was thinking how to evalute all the roster changes and asses what this team will be like. This got me thinking, why not just do it in MVP Baseball 04. Its the best tool we got to reflect how well this team will do. So i made all the roster changes, No Maggs, No Carlos, No Jose. Picked up Hermansen, Posednick, Viscaino, Dye and for hopings sake I also added Odailis Perez to our roster. I let the computer sim the enitre 2004 season becuase thats all we got. Interesting enought before adding Perez our rotation was rated as 15th best overall, after his addition as 6th best!!

LF - Possednick
SS - Uribe
DH - Thomas
1B - Konerko
RF - Dye
CF - Rowand
C - Davis
3B - Crede
2B - Harris

Buehrle
Garcia
Perez
Contreras
Garland

For 2004 this team as its comprised today based on EA Sports MVP Baseball 2004 went, YOUR'RE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS, went 84-78. I whooping 1 game better than we actually did in 2004. I know its just a sim but its the closes thing we got. The funny part is THIS WAS GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN THE DIVISION. And then we promptly lost the Yanks in the 1st round of the playoffs. Here are some stats.

Possednick hit .317 with 20 hr and a .361 OBP
Team BA was .265
Team ERA was 3.92
Shingo had 38 saves with an era of 2.51.
Contreras, Garcia, Buehrle, Perez all had ERA's in the 3's.
CREDE HIT .256 with 19 HR, wow about .250!!!!

Hell i would hope something like this happens. I dont care how pretty or not i want a division crown.
I did the same thing in MVP04 with a few exceptions. I traded Garland and Konerko to NY for Vasquez. I signed Clement instead of Perez. I also traded 2 minor leaguers for Keith Ginter as a part of the Lee deal, for my starting 2B. I created players for Shingo and Gload. I based them on scouting reports (don't remember where I got em, just went to google and typed in "Ross Gload scouting report").

My rotation was:
Buehrle
Garcia
Vasquez
Clement
Contreras

Batting Order:
Podsednik - CF
Ginter - 2B
Rowand - LF
Big Frank - DH
Dye - RF
Gload - 1B
Uribe - SS
Crede - 3B
Davis - C

I wasn't keeping a real close eye on the stats, but Pod hit well over 300 as did Ginter and Uribe, Big Frank led the league in walks, OBP, HR while Rowand stunk it up, hitting 220. No starting pitcher on my team had an ERA above 3.4, Garcia won 24 games and Buehrle won 21. Shingo had 37 saves with a 1.30 ERA. While Roward was stinking it up, I moved Uribe to the 3 spot and his #s went up dramatically.

I had the best record in baseball. 110-52. But, I was swept by Baltimore in the AL Division Series. Houston won the World Series. And as an interesting note, the Brewers released Carlos Lee shortly after the trade. I even converted him to a 1B, since they already have a stud LF. Kinda funny.

I think with all this said, we can safely assume this is no way to predict the Sox 2005 campaign with a PlayStation game :) But its fun to play with the roster and see what happens. I love baseball, and MVP04 absolutely rocks and gives baseball junkies like me a lot to have fun with, rosters, creating players, etc... I just wish it had an expansion mode, though.

mjharrison72
12-15-2004, 11:13 AM
I did the same thing in MVP04 with a few exceptions. I traded Garland and Konerko to NY for Vasquez. I signed Clement instead of Perez. I also traded 2 minor leaguers for Keith Ginter as a part of the Lee deal, for my starting 2B. I created players for Shingo and Gload. I based them on scouting reports (don't remember where I got em, just went to google and typed in "Ross Gload scouting report").

My rotation was:
Buehrle
Garcia
Vasquez
Clement
Contreras

Batting Order:
Podsednik - CF
Ginter - 2B
Rowand - LF
Big Frank - DH
Dye - RF
Gload - 1B
Uribe - SS
Crede - 3B
Davis - C

I wasn't keeping a real close eye on the stats, but Pod hit well over 300 as did Ginter and Uribe, Big Frank led the league in walks, OBP, HR while Rowand stunk it up, hitting 220. No starting pitcher on my team had an ERA above 3.4, Garcia won 24 games and Buehrle won 21. Shingo had 37 saves with a 1.30 ERA. While Roward was stinking it up, I moved Uribe to the 3 spot and his #s went up dramatically.

I had the best record in baseball. 110-52. But, I was swept by Baltimore in the AL Division Series. Houston won the World Series. And as an interesting note, the Brewers released Carlos Lee shortly after the trade. I even converted him to a 1B, since they already have a stud LF. Kinda funny.

I think with all this said, we can safely assume this is no way to predict the Sox 2005 campaign with a PlayStation game :) But its fun to play with the roster and see what happens. I love baseball, and MVP04 absolutely rocks and gives baseball junkies like me a lot to have fun with, rosters, creating players, etc... I just wish it had an expansion mode, though.I was with you right up to the "swept by Baltimore" part.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-15-2004, 01:40 PM
So i was thinking how to evalute all the roster changes and asses what this team will be like. This got me thinking, why not just do it in MVP Baseball 04.
Was Jurassic Park Carl Everett a Dinosaur in the video version or was he just an obese character eating ice cream and churros in the dugout?

GiveMeSox
12-15-2004, 07:34 PM
I did this as well, i have been updated my rosters and creating players when need be through the season. So as of yesterday i updated them again with all the recent roster moves. THe simulation was done with every team currently comprised as it exists today.

soltrain21
12-15-2004, 07:42 PM
I did this as well, i have been updated my rosters and creating players when need be through the season. So as of yesterday i updated them again with all the recent roster moves. THe simulation was done with every team currently comprised as it exists today.

Impressive........NERD! :D:

lths06
12-15-2004, 07:44 PM
I remember in the begining of last year, IGN did a sim for the entire year will all of the teams. MVP picked the Sox to finish last. No joke. ESPN Major League Baseball I believe picked the Sox to win the divison, and I know for a fact predicted the Red Sox to sweep the World Series (when it was narrowed down to St. Louis and Boston.) So if anyone has ESPN Major League Baseball, plese sim it. Thanks

idseer
12-15-2004, 09:11 PM
i really don't know why you're giving him a hard time. i think it's cool what he did. can we use it as a tool to figure what the team will do? probably not, but it was still cool.
i'd like to see someone do the season using APBA. but i think you'd actually have to play every game one by one for every team.

GiveMeSox
12-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Well thank you. And by the way the ps2 version with online does this automatically. With xbox there is no online and i had to do it all manually. All my friends with ps2 just sign online and download newly udpated rosters whenever they please. Not so with the xbxo version i have.