PDA

View Full Version : Nats In Trouble?

whitesoxwilkes
12-14-2004, 11:23 PM
Could they be a one year wonder?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1946536

SouthSide_HitMen
12-14-2004, 11:24 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-expos-washington&prov=ap&type=lgns

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Baseball's plan to move the Expos to Washington might come apart after the District of Columbia Council voted Tuesday night to require private financing for at least half the cost of a new ballpark.

After an 11 1/2 -hour session filled with contentious debate, the council voted 7-6 to approve legislation to finance construction of a ballpark. But the bill contained an amendment on private financing, a provision not contained in the September agreement between the Expos and Washington Mayor Anthony A. Williams.

``We will review the amendments and the legislation as passed and have a response tomorrow,'' said Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer. If the law stands, baseball's likely response is to have the team play the 2005 season at Washington's RFK Stadium, where it would be known as the Nationals, while the commissioner's office reopens the search for a permanent home for the franchise.

__________________________________________________ ______________

It is about time someone stood up for the honest taxpayer. Time to say NO to bud's extortion racket.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-14-2004, 11:26 PM
Beat me by 1 minute

FightingBillini
12-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Cropp is such a piece of garbage. Another one of the morons who bitches "we need to spend the money on schools". DC spends a ridulous amount per student, and the schools are still horrible. I guess that is the political philosophy of people. The part that makes me the angriest is that she is violating the terms MLB set down to send the team there. You dont just sign a contract and then change the terms afterwards "yes, I know that SHE didnt sign the contract". This is ridiculous. I hope that a moron like her doesnt cost DC its baseball team after next year.

Kogs35
12-14-2004, 11:52 PM
las vegas kings here we come!!!

Viva Medias B's
12-14-2004, 11:53 PM
las vegas kings here we come!!!
They and the Marlins can make Vegas a two-team market!

soltrain21
12-14-2004, 11:54 PM
They should of been contracted with the D'rays.

ND_Sox_Fan
12-14-2004, 11:57 PM
The good news is that there is a lot of money out there in financial markets right now, and if there is any return to be made from this financing, it will be funded.

I looked at the proposal for bringing the team to Las Vegas - it was going to be privately funded - and there were quite a few firms that were going to throw some money that way.

DC is going to be a little less attractive in terms of revenue from other events, but they will get the money.

Baby Fisk
12-15-2004, 08:33 AM
They should of been contracted with the D'rays.
It's not too late.

Kogs35
12-15-2004, 08:47 AM
The good news is that there is a lot of money out there in financial markets right now, and if there is any return to be made from this financing, it will be funded.

I looked at the proposal for bringing the team to Las Vegas - it was going to be privately funded - and there were quite a few firms that were going to throw some money that way.

DC is going to be a little less attractive in terms of revenue from other events, but they will get the money.
and with the tourism there they could actually sell out everygameweather there winning or not

Over By There
12-15-2004, 10:42 AM
Boy, just when this fiasco seemed to be over. What a disaster if the team moves again after one year in DC. :(:

BTW, 200 posts. Hooray! :bandance:

Baby Fisk
12-15-2004, 10:46 AM
When the Expos' departure from Montreal became imminent this year, suddenly all the hipsters were waddling the streets wearing Spos gear. I wonder if Nats gear will be the hot item next summer? Damme this eternal pursuit of fashionability...

mactheknife
12-15-2004, 11:04 AM
is there even such a thing as nats gear yet? i picture people walking around with 'WASHINGTON NATIONALS' written in sharpie on a white tshirt...

mjharrison72
12-15-2004, 12:28 PM
is there even such a thing as nats gear yet? i picture people walking around with 'WASHINGTON NATIONALS' written in sharpie on a white tshirt...They were supposed to unveil the new uniforms and logos today, but with the stunt the DC council is pulling, said unveiling was postponed.

mjharrison72
12-15-2004, 12:51 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/daily/graphics/nationals_logo_80x59.gifHere's what the new logo is supposed to be:

Dadawg_77
12-15-2004, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't worry about the private financing. What this does is shift the fiscal burden of building the stadium from local DC tax payers to everyone in the country. The financing won't be to make money from revenues from the stadium but from the nice write off in deprecation from the stadium.

DumpJerry
12-15-2004, 06:04 PM
................and thus we see another example of Selig's strong leadership.............

FJA
12-15-2004, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't worry about the private financing. What this does is shift the fiscal burden of building the stadium from local DC tax payers to everyone in the country. The financing won't be to make money from revenues from the stadium but from the nice write off in deprecation from the stadium.DuPuy says the revised agreement is "wholly unacceptable," so private financing isn't going to happen. Here's the Washington Post article (registration required):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2202-2004Dec15.html

There are many horrible problems in the DC school system, maybe more administrative than financial. I'm all for making sure the schools have enough money,though, if bringing baseball is really going to create any further problems for the school system.

My sense, though, is that there is a lot of political posturing going on here. This is a huge, huge embarassment for Mayor Williams, and it's more a failure of his leadership than Selig's at play here. It's absolutely ridiculous that Cropp succeeded on a vote to basically perform a bait-and-switch with a major, highly-publicized contract. Passionate or not, she's doing nothing more than reinforcing the reputation of DC's city government as completely incompetant.

City Council has a three brand new anti-baseball members coming on pretty soon here (including Marion Barry), so I'm guessing this isn't going to happen.

cubhater
12-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Boy, just when this fiasco seemed to be over. What a disaster if the team moves again after one year in DC. :(:
:tool
Why is everyone looking at me? I'm just a used car salesman.

MeanFish
12-15-2004, 08:06 PM
This might really help our chances at Perez...up to this point, weren't the Nats the only team pursuing him seriously??

FJA
12-15-2004, 08:09 PM
This might really help our chances at Perez...up to this point, weren't the Nats the only team pursuing him seriously??
They are still a functioning baseball team, wherever they play next year; while business operations have ceased, baseball operations are continuing.

Nick@Nite
12-15-2004, 08:46 PM
I find this quote from Linda W. Crapp (D) interesting, "I keep hearing that we had a deal with baseball. Well, I have had a 30-year-plus deal with the citizens of this city. That deal trumps any other consideration with Major League Baseball." Winning political office in the District qualifies for a 30-year term? :?:

Looking at financial gains/losses in the short term doesn't equate to the potential revenue generated in the long run.... but what do I know. Whatever.

Btw, I have a deposit down for season tickets. I'll hang on until it's a done deal either way. If whats-her-name succeeds in scuttling the ship, maybe they'll move the team to Northern VA, which would be even better for me.

Dadawg_77
12-16-2004, 10:38 AM
DuPuy says the revised agreement is "wholly unacceptable," so private financing isn't going to happen. Here's the Washington Post article (registration required):

There are many horrible problems in the DC school system, maybe more administrative than financial. I'm all for making sure the schools have enough money,though, if bringing baseball is really going to create any further problems for the school system.

My sense, though, is that there is a lot of political posturing going on here. This is a huge, huge embarassment for Mayor Williams, and it's more a failure of his leadership than Selig's at play here. It's absolutely ridiculous that Cropp succeeded on a vote to basically perform a bait-and-switch with a major, highly-publicized contract. Passionate or not, she's doing nothing more than reinforcing the reputation of DC's city government as completely incompetant.

City Council has a three brand new anti-baseball members coming on pretty soon here (including Marion Barry), so I'm guessing this isn't going to happen.
Yeah what it looks like is MLB will only accept a pubically finance stadium since they want to have all there teams feed at the trough of corporate welfare. Any deviation from that, however easily done, is unacceptable to MLB since it could send a bad message to Mass. and other areas. Honestly I love what the DC council did and wish more governments would do the same. I realize if the IL did this it probally would have cost us the Sox in Chicago, but in the big scheme of the world, we would be better off if the State hadn't built the Cell.

mjharrison72
12-16-2004, 10:53 AM
DuPuy says the revised agreement is "wholly unacceptable," so private financing isn't going to happen. Here's the Washington Post article (registration required):

City Council has a three brand new anti-baseball members coming on pretty soon here (including Marion Barry), so I'm guessing this isn't going to happen.Exactly... if you look at it from a political gamesmanship standpoint, Linda Cropp couldn't lose. If the team bails, she just saved the DC taxpayers half a billion. If MLB bends to the council's wishes and agrees to allow private financing, she played hardball and won. In the meantime, I assume her name is getting out there even outside DC, and at least in DC, those like myself who never paid attention to local politics now know exactly who this person is.
If this is the way things are going to be, I at least hope MLB will choose to compromise or otherwise accommodate the wishes of the council. I assume private money is less guaranteed than public money, but I think there are plenty of sources, corporate, individual, etc., who are willing to pitch in. I don't care if every portion of that stadium is plastered with someone or some company's name, I want them to get the freaking deal done and get a baseball team in DC. Permanently!:angry:

Lip Man 1
12-16-2004, 12:32 PM
This may be an interesting read :

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=caple_jim&id=1947248

Lip