PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for all the memories El Caballo

Podsednik20
12-14-2004, 09:58 PM
I am a supporter of the trade, but I think we should devote a thread to all the great things Carlos did while he was here. Best of luck with the Brew Crew Carlos.http://media.theinsiders.com/Media/MLB/56419_6313445.JPG
I'll certainly never forget the walkoff grand slam against the Cubs, or the grand slam at Wrigley which included 3 more rbi after that.

MarkyBear
12-14-2004, 10:02 PM
I actualy met Carlos briefly, about a whole 5 minutes worth, at Grandstands(I think the name was)...

After the last home game of the year for the Sox in 2000, my family and I were walking to our car and stopped in the store to shop, in walks Carlos w/some friends and/or family...He was dropping off a jersey, I presume his game jersey, you could tell he was in a hurry but still took time to chat w/some fans and sign autographs...

I got his autograph on my program, just thought that was very cool and stand up to do of him!

Good luck and God Speed Carlos! :bandance:

OG4LIFE
12-14-2004, 10:07 PM
i liked carlos a lot. a lot of good memories, clutch hits, esp. vs the flubbies.

he is a star now, and will be for the near forseeable future. great job carlos!

FedEx227
12-14-2004, 10:10 PM
yeah you will be missed, the good think though is hes not too far away Milwaukee...I go up to Milwaukee for about 3-4 games a year so I can still see my man hitting away for the Brew-Crew.

South Side
12-14-2004, 10:11 PM
Thank you Carlos for hitting a homerun on the 4th of July in the 8th against the Cubs to tie the game... Unfortunately Marte was in one of his "I suck" periods. And thanks for everything else... we'll miss you.

Shingotime!!
12-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Thank you Carlos for hitting a homerun on the 4th of July in the 8th against the Cubs to tie the game... Unfortunately Marte was in one of his "I suck" periods. And thanks for everything else... we'll miss you. If anyones to blame its Shingo

whtsx1959
12-14-2004, 10:32 PM
I would like to remember the good thought of Carlos.
Like when I saw him at Panda Express in Boston.
Good times

DaleJRFan
12-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Anyone have a picture of Carlos getting tossed out at second... when he stood in the batters box for 15 seconds admiring what he thought was a home run??? Or maybe a video clip from mlb.com of the multiple times he was picked off, or a few of the times he missed the cut off man??? At least he never cut off a throw home that caused an inside-the-park homerun.

Geez peoplez, its not like the guy was an all-star who led the Sox through the post season.

Bye Bye Carlos.

South Side
12-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Anyone have a picture of Carlos getting tossed out at second... when he stood in the batters box for 15 seconds admiring what he thought was a home run??? Or maybe a video clip from mlb.com of the multiple times he was picked off, or a few of the times he missed the cut off man??? At least he never cut off a throw home that caused an inside-the-park homerun.

Geez peoplez, its not like the guy was an all-star who led the Sox through the post season.

Bye Bye Carlos.
And let's not act like he was some random player who didn't contribute anything. He most likely will be an all-star and will lead a team through the post season. I'm all for the trade but geez give the man his due.

South Side
12-14-2004, 11:00 PM
If anyones to blame its Shingo
Ah, it was wasn't it...? My memory is not so good.

chisoxmike
12-14-2004, 11:11 PM
I liked the random waves and points to the crowd in left field and the fans on the 3rd base line, and watching himself on the big screen. I loved yelling "Carlos watch the game!"

Anyway, over the summer, the Sox were down 3-0 to the Royals and Carlos came up as the tying run, I yelled, "Hit it and watch it Carlos." He did, he hit a 3-run homer. Thus, being the reason why he was traded, always swinging for the home run.

I was a little upset, I bought a authentic jersey this year, the black with Carlos being the player I got. I thought, "What player won't be traded this year or next." I was wrong.

But I'll always remember the 'Cub Killin', his improving defense over the years. I plan to go to a Brewers game when they play the Cubs now to root him on.

MIgrenade
12-14-2004, 11:15 PM
I will always remember the time he couldn't run the bases and ended the inning. Actually I have a lot of those memories.
At least he killed the Cubs.

ChiSoxRowand
12-14-2004, 11:28 PM
What about the time last year when Carlos, Hawk, and DJ thought he had hit a home run but it went off the top of the wall. "You can put in on the board yyeeeessss!- maybe not". And I think he got thrown out at second.

JGarlandrules20
12-14-2004, 11:35 PM
Aw, you people are so mean. This isn't the bash caballo thread!

HITMEN OF 77
12-14-2004, 11:38 PM
He will be missed. Many great memories. He seemed to get better and better every year with the Sox. Best of luck El Caballo!!

soltrain21
12-14-2004, 11:40 PM
No offense to Carlos, but I wonder if he really had ADD. He looked into the crowd an awful lot. Sometimes it scared me, he wouldn't look to the plate until the picture was in their windup.

However, that 28 game hit streak was awesome.

santo=dorf
12-14-2004, 11:43 PM
Ah, it was wasn't it...? My memory is not so good.
Sox fans like yourself should be fortunate if they can't remember July 4th, 2004. :(:

fquaye149
12-14-2004, 11:48 PM
Sox fans like yourself should be fortunate if they can't remember July 4th, 2004. :(:
That was one of my worst days of the year, for reasons related and unrelated to that game.

BRDSR
12-14-2004, 11:48 PM
I actualy met Carlos briefly, about a whole 5 minutes worth, at Grandstands(I think the name was)...

After the last home game of the year for the Sox in 2000, my family and I were walking to our car and stopped in the store to shop, in walks Carlos w/some friends and/or family...He was dropping off a jersey, I presume his game jersey, you could tell he was in a hurry but still took time to chat w/some fans and sign autographs...

I got his autograph on my program, just thought that was very cool and stand up to do of him!

Good luck and God Speed Carlos! :bandance:
I also was at that game. I wanted to go so bad so my dad took me(still wasn't driving). We got there about 15 minutes before the game and got tickets in the next to last section of the upper deck, all the way down the first base line. Man, that was a fun game even though the lost. Cheering them for a 95 win season and chanting MVP every time Frank came up. And later learning that he really was the MVP if some certain individual hadn't been on the juice. Unfortunately, I missed Carlos at the Grandstand though. :wink:

MeanFish
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Interesting. Yesterday was my worst day of the year, for reasons completely unrelated to the trade.

dugwood31
12-14-2004, 11:59 PM
Back to Carlos. You gotta love a guy that plays with a grin on his face. You gotta love a guy that played about a month of OF in the minors and worked his way toward being a passable defensive outfielder. You gotta love a run-producing .300 hitter.

Even when he screwed up it was funny. I had great 3B line seats the game a few years ago when he represented the tying run (he was on third with 0 or 1 outs) against Montreal in the 9th inning. Mark Johnson was taking the first pitch and squared around. Carlos must have assumed he missed a sign, broke late to home, then scrambled back to third too late. Sox lost. He was dazed. Looking back on it I just chuckle. He's a player with a real personality. He was a big kid out there.

Best of luck Caballo. I hope you continue to smoke Cubbie pitching!

faneidde
12-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Best of luck Carlos, you will be sorely missed. I remember most the walk-off slam agains the Cubs and that huge White Sox flag waiving in the air as the ball cleared the seats. Also, I remember a couple of great plays he had in the field. I wish him all the best.

Foulke You
12-15-2004, 12:10 AM
June 2001, Friday night game. Carlos hits an 0-2 fastball walkoff Grand Slam against the Cubs at Comiskey Park off of Courtney Duncan. Bedlam ensues at Comiskey Park. Crowd stood and cheered for 5 min straight and nah nah nah hey hey hey goodbye all the way down the ramps. Probably my favorite memory of Carlos.

OurBitchinMinny
12-15-2004, 12:24 AM

Bye Bye Carlos.
he was a .300, 30, 100 guy. They dont just come along every day. We traded for a third year player who is 28 and hit a robust .240 last year with a little higher than .300 OPS and a 30 year old reliever who has been up in down. You should be a little more appreciative of lee. If they go get a pitcher its not the worst trade in team history, but we didnt not get even close to fair value for lee. Lets see if you are saying the same thing when lee is an NL all star and posednik has become the 4th outfielder. I hope posednik does well, but he is not half the player lee is.

Sox Mobile
12-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Remember when Carlos caught a ball up against the Green Monster at Fenway, and the back of his shirt got hooked on something? He was up on his toes and trying to bounce up and down to get unhooked. I think it was Rowand that finally came to get him down. The best part was his signature grin while it was happening. I laughed a boat load over that.

daveeym
12-15-2004, 12:32 AM
Screw you guys I'm going home, what's with the new **** disturbers coming along all at once? It amazes me how trolls come in hordes and then none are seen for awhile.

Anyways :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: to C. Lee. Stand up guy, class act all the way. Hopefully his and the sox paths cross again some day.

StillMissOzzie
12-15-2004, 12:45 AM
Thanks for some great memories, Caballo. You were my PTC more often than the rest of the team combined last year. I will always remember the grand slam vs. the sCrUBS on a Friday night game a few years ago, when I yelled myself hoarse.

There's gotta be a joke about being in Wisconsin and belting sCrUBS cheese much more often now. Good Luck C Lee.

SMO
:gulp:

Edit: spelling/typo

Foulke You
12-15-2004, 01:31 AM
Remember when Carlos caught a ball up against the Green Monster at Fenway, and the back of his shirt got hooked on something? He was up on his toes and trying to bounce up and down to get unhooked. I think it was Rowand that finally came to get him down. The best part was his signature grin while it was happening. I laughed a boat load over that.LOL! I was actually at Fenway Park for that game. The Red Sox fans in my section were busting my balls about it but I had the last laugh because the White Sox won the game and the series.:D:

awesomefan
12-15-2004, 02:30 AM
DaleJRFan......You are a very lame White Sox fan.

All the things you slammed Carlos Lee about have been done by many other good ballplayers...please remember that no one is so perefect as you expect Carlos to be.

Carlos has tons of very good baseball stats besides being an awesome person.

I'm sadder than sad that our El Caballo is gone.

DaleJRFan ....you should be ashamed:angry:

SSN721
12-15-2004, 07:35 AM
Goodbye El Caballo. I have to say I personally like this deal and the direction the team is going in, but I wish you the best of luck in Milwaukee. All the Cub-killing memories stand out, hitting streak, clutch hits, thanks for the hard play, improved defense and signature smile. You will be missed. Good luck.

bmac5001
12-15-2004, 07:48 AM
thanks for breaking the white sox hitting streak record at a game i happened to be at, carlos. best of luck with the brew-crew!

SOXSINCE'70
12-15-2004, 08:09 AM
I am now a Brewers fan because of Carlos Lee.:D: :D: :D:

Thanks for your game ending slam off Courtney Duncan in 2001
(that was the infamous David Wells game where Wells couldn't get
out of the first inning.Back issues.The sCrUBbies scored 3 runs
and no more.The Sox tied it in the 9th,won it in the bottom of the 10th).
Also,thanks for your slam off Wood at the Urinal in 2002,
IIRC. I still remember his first HR off Tom Candiotti in 1999.

THANKS CABALLO!! YOU WILL BE MISSED!! :gulp: :gulp:

SOXSINCE'70
12-15-2004, 08:12 AM
Unfortunately Marte was in one of his "I suck" periods.
So was Shingo,who,IIRC, walked the bases loaded before
"Oy Vay Marte" came in.:D: :D: :D:

Deadguy
12-15-2004, 09:12 AM
I'll never forget his first AB in the Majors back in May of 1999. There was a lot of buzz about this minor league 3B in recent years, and I couldn't wait to get my first look at this prospect. Of course in his first PA, he knocked the ball out of the park, and big things were expected from him.

So long Carlos. I wish you well in Milwaukee.

mweflen
12-15-2004, 03:28 PM
So was Shingo,who,IIRC, walked the bases loaded before
"Oy Vay Marte" came in.:D: :D: :D:Geez, you guys are like Cubs fans with the faulty memories and all.

Damaso walked the bases full, then Shingo walked in the winning run. I was there, I know :(:

The game winning slam against the Cubs was by far my favorite Carlos memory. I was sitting in left for that game, surrounded by idiot Cubs fans, living it up with all my fellow sox fans singing, chanting, hollering, and all.

But I also just got a laugh watching him rush back out to left after taking a leak in the bullpen bathroom. He was a goofball.

I agree with the criticisms - selfishness, inattention, etc., but you can forgive a lot of criticisms when a guy hits .300/30/100.

I'll miss him, so I hope the starting pitcher we sign more than makes up for his absence.

Shingotime!!
12-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Geez, you guys are like Cubs fans with the faulty memories and all.

Damaso walked the bases full, then Shingo walked in the winning run. I was there, I know :(:
I think you may have been drunk along with the other cubs fans, it was Shingo with the walks, and Damaso with a low beaking ball, i believe it was a 3-1 count. and incase u forgot it was todd walker.

Shingotime!!
12-15-2004, 04:05 PM
now that i think about it, it was a fast ball, to much pressure, cant blame marte, or can u............

starboy0
12-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Well now my Carlos jersey belongs to the ages. I will put it on display proudly but first wear it when Milwaukee comes in to play the Cubs. Good luck, Caballo!

wilburaga
12-15-2004, 04:19 PM
Carlos did leave his mark in Sox lore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he...

1) Was the first White Sox to hit a homer in his first plate appearance.

2) Has the Sox record for consecutive game hitting streak. (28)

3) Tied the Sox record for homers in consecutive games. (5)

4) Was the first major leaguer to end an interleague game with a walk off grand slam.

Sure he could pull some dunderhead plays, especially early in his career, but I'll miss him. As for Carlos being a future all star, I'd bet on it. Being on the Brewers will certainly help his cause.

W

Flight #24
12-15-2004, 04:28 PM
I think you may have been drunk along with the other cubs fans, it was Shingo with the walks, and Damaso with a low beaking ball, i believe it was a 3-1 count. and incase u forgot it was todd walker.If this was the game in question: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=240514104

Then it appears Damaso came in, loaded the bases, then Shingo gave up the lead.

Oops: wrong game. It was Shingo then Marte. Box at http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=240704116

Etownsox13
12-16-2004, 01:05 AM
Anyone remember when the Sox changed pitchers and Carlos ran under the stands to use the john, and he took longer than the pitcher took to warm up, and the game was held up a few minutes so he could finish his business?