PDA

View Full Version : Offman on WSCR Next...

ukigdog
12-14-2004, 08:03 PM
I know many of you may not be interested however, for those who are, George Offman will be on WSCR the score after this commercial. Im sure they will have something on the Sox and where they are currently looking. If not, oh well, but its something...

tadscout
12-14-2004, 08:08 PM
well anything said?

ukigdog
12-14-2004, 08:11 PM
He is saying that Clement is atop KW wishlist.
Offman says that he doesnt like Clement, but that what KW wants.
KW will only get a guy if he feels he can win 15 games with the money left over

FedEx227
12-14-2004, 08:12 PM
anyword yet on who this PTBNL is going to be....Ben Sheets works for me (lol) :bandance:

ukigdog
12-14-2004, 08:14 PM
Talking about the batting order.
Thomas has boot taken off, the worst case scenario is him coming back in June. Best case is back in spring training
They seem to be expecting him back to miss maybe April that is it.
They say seeing Uribe in 2 hole possibility.
Likes Rowand at 3,4,or 5 spot in lineup
RJ not coming to CHicago!!

jabrch
12-14-2004, 08:14 PM
If we turn Carlos Lee into Podsednik, Vizcaino and Clement, that's a MARVELOUS deal for KW. It won't stup the haters from hating - that's all they can do. But it would be a marvelous deal.

ukigdog
12-14-2004, 08:16 PM
He is saying that Jermaine Dye is better than Maggs defensively because of his arm
He is saying that Podsednik is better than CLee in LF, because true Carlos didnt have errors, but better range with Podsednik cause of his closing speed.
Overall says sox better defensively.

aharris1137
12-14-2004, 08:17 PM
let's sign clement and head to Tuscon

tadscout
12-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Talking about the batting order.
Thomas has boot taken off, the worst case scenario is him coming back in June. Best case is back in spring training
They seem to be expecting him back to miss maybe April that is it.
They say seeing Uribe in 2 hole possibility.
Likes Rowand at 3,4,or 5 spot in lineup
RJ not coming to CHicago!!
1- Pod
2- Uribe
3- Rowand

That would actually be pretty smart with what we have... Use the speed and contact together...

ukigdog
12-14-2004, 08:19 PM
He says that the White Sox are missing their run producers with maggs, lee gone, however they played without maggs, thomas all last year and still put up over 800 runs.

Says pods will have way more that 85 runs in milw. next year.

Says he sees the sox doing, having to do, 2 more moves 1SP, 1 infielder, either SS or 2B and move Uribe to other of the two.

hi8is
12-14-2004, 08:21 PM
clement or perez, its all good to me

when do pitchers and catchers report to spring training and where is spring training? tuson?

ukigdog
12-14-2004, 08:23 PM
The main point with the white sox is that everyone seems unsure of the 3-6 hitters now on the team. However he said that if they have rowand, thomas, konerko, dye it is not that bad as long as they can get an upgrade over willie at either SS or 2B and use uribe in other slot to balance out lineup more.

I agree entirely here. How bad would this linueup look, not too bad to me:

Lineup: Pos. Avg. HR RBI SB
Scott Posednik LF 0.290 5 40 70
Juan Uribe SS 0.280 20 70 10
Frank Thomas DH 0.270 40 100 0
Jermaine Dye RF 0.290 30 110 10
Paul Konerko 1B 0.290 40 120 0
Aaron Rowand CF 0.300 25 80 25
Placido Polanco 2B 0.290 5 50 20
Joe Crede 3B 0.250 20 70 5
Ben Davis C 0.250 5 40 2

Going back to the clement thing he said, he says that he doesnt think clement is a winner. He puts up good numbers but cant seem to win. I disagree. I think if the sox get Clement and use him at #3 or #4 with a consistent offense and not the stagnant Cubs offense i think he can be a winner here.

pearso66
12-14-2004, 08:26 PM
Clement has always scared me, I'd prefer to sign Perez. Clement just seems like an injury waiting to happen.

MRKARNO
12-14-2004, 08:26 PM
Going back to the clement thing he said, he says that he doesnt think clement is a winner. He puts up good numbers but cant seem to win. I disagree. I think if the sox get Clement and use him at #3 or #4 with a consistent offense and not the stagnant Cubs offense i think he can be a winner here.
It's hard to win games with an average of four runs of support a game....

Offman clearly doesnt know what he's talking about. Clement had to be one of the most unlucky pitchers last year.

JUribe1989
12-14-2004, 08:33 PM
If we turn Carlos Lee into Podsednik, Vizcaino and Clement, that's a MARVELOUS deal for KW. It won't stup the haters from hating - that's all they can do. But it would be a marvelous deal.
Wonderfully said. The only thing that could stop the haters is winning the division. If Clement was third starter, Contreras could move to 4th and less pressure would be on him.

ukigdog
12-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Says that the Whitesox cannot give up all of their power, they need a good mix of both. Yes they are better defensively, but stressing the infield and that it is not going to cut it. They need one more guy in the middle infield to help with some kind of power.

The bullpen is awesome, deep. Depending on the pitcher they can get with money saved they are better overall team. Keeps stressing the infield. Middle infield!!

Crede, Uribe, Willie wont cut it he says. He says we need to get someone to shake it up and make it better.

This makes me think that what if we get Clement, and the japanese guy for 3B, then trade crede for Alex Cora?

Just threw that out there, but commercial break...

Ill keep posting

nodiggity59
12-14-2004, 08:41 PM
Thank you kindly :smile:

tadscout
12-14-2004, 08:41 PM
Thank you kindly :smile:
ditto:D:

ukigdog
12-14-2004, 08:50 PM
Last segment...

He thinks Crede is better option is better than Nakamura. Nakamura is not a great player. Likes him even better than Joe Randa especially with the cash difference.

Also, said that Podsednik is a rarity. A left handed leadoff hitter that has potential or could/has hit over .300. He said if Cubs could find a guy like this hed pay for him himself. so i take it he likes Pods on south side.

Thats it for white sox talk.

To sum it up we will definitly try to get a starter, that KW thinks can win us 15 games for the 3 spot. Then depending on how much we spend there, we will go for some kind of upgrade in the infield.

This should put an end to the rumors of KW in Arizona, or Oakland. This is why i think KW was really out with Clement or Axelrod his agent and not in some city with this mystery "Where is Kenny Williams"

Now what do you guys think of all this that Offman said about the Sox??

tadscout
12-14-2004, 08:52 PM
I may sound really stupid asking this, but who is offman again?

ukigdog
12-14-2004, 08:54 PM
It's hard to win games with an average of four runs of support a game....

Offman clearly doesnt know what he's talking about. Clement had to be one of the most unlucky pitchers last year.
I agree with this entirely. With the injuries the Cubs had on the pitching staff, and the slow start with Maddux, he was really a #1,#2 pitcher on that team for most of season. If he comes here and is a 3,4 what he should have been with cubs, i think with his sick numbers hell be stellar and will be proven to be a winner.

ukigdog
12-14-2004, 08:55 PM
George Offman is the reporter for both Cubs and White sox the sort of "insider" for both teams on WSCR the score. He is the one who reported first the whole Carlos Lee trade rumors.

tadscout
12-14-2004, 08:59 PM
George Offman is the reporter for both Cubs and White sox the sort of "insider" for both teams on WSCR the score. He is the one who reported first the whole Carlos Lee trade rumors.
Ok thanks... I would have felt stupid if he was an official w/ the Sox...

Rocklive99
12-14-2004, 09:06 PM
anyword yet on who this PTBNL is going to be....Ben Sheets works for me (lol) :bandance:
In the conf call, KW said it's just some minor leaguer

illinibk
12-14-2004, 09:20 PM
In the conf call, KW said it's just some minor leaguer
which minor leaguer? The Brewers are stacked in the minors, so hopefully it is a good one. Brad Nelson maybe?

Tragg
12-14-2004, 09:37 PM
which minor leaguer? The Brewers are stacked in the minors, so hopefully it is a good one. Brad Nelson maybe?An "organizational minor leaguer" - whatever that means, but it doesn't sound like a good one - sounds like a roster filler. Ginter, mediocre as he is, would have helped this offense, mediocre as it is.

Forget Clement - too many guns after him; sign Perez

DaleJRFan
12-14-2004, 09:45 PM
Crede, Uribe, Willie wont cut it he says. He says we need to get someone to shake it up and make it better.

This makes me think that what if we get Clement, and the japanese guy for 3B, then trade crede for Alex Cora?
Great idea.. but... LA doesn't need a third baseman. If Beltre isn't resigned by LA, Jeff Kent will play 3B.

All I can say is:
Polanco, Polanco, Polanco, Polanco, Polanco, Polanco, Polanco!!!!

soltrain21
12-14-2004, 09:50 PM
All we need is a 2B. Let Crede play third again this year. He deserves one more chance.

soxwon
12-14-2004, 10:00 PM
The main point with the white sox is that everyone seems unsure of the 3-6 hitters now on the team. However he said that if they have rowand, thomas, konerko, dye it is not that bad as long as they can get an upgrade over willie at either SS or 2B and use uribe in other slot to balance out lineup more.

I agree entirely here. How bad would this linueup look, not too bad to me:

Lineup: Pos. Avg. HR RBI SB
Scott Posednik LF 0.290 5 40 70
Juan Uribe SS 0.280 20 70 10
Frank Thomas DH 0.270 40 100 0
Jermaine Dye RF 0.290 30 110 10
Paul Konerko 1B 0.290 40 120 0
Aaron Rowand CF 0.300 25 80 25
Placido Polanco 2B 0.290 5 50 20
Joe Crede 3B 0.250 20 70 5
Ben Davis C 0.250 5 40 2

whos placido polanco?

Tragg
12-14-2004, 10:03 PM
All we need is a 2B. Let Crede play third again this year. He deserves one more chance.
I agree; and he certainly doesn't look any goofier at the plate than rowand did 2 years ago

Rocklive99
12-14-2004, 10:05 PM
whos placido polanco?
Infielder, he used to play with the Cardinals, I think his last couple of years have been in Philly

AOEllis
12-14-2004, 10:22 PM
George Ofman is also refered as "Sir Retardo Montoban" by Terry Boers.

OurBitchinMinny
12-14-2004, 11:28 PM
1- Pod
2- Uribe
3- Rowand

That would actually be pretty smart with what we have... Use the speed and contact together...
does rowand have the power or run production to bat third? I think he is more suited in the #2, or 6/7 role. That is unless he reverts back to his april, early may and previous form.

OEO Magglio
12-14-2004, 11:40 PM
does rowand have the power or run production to bat third? I think he is more suited in the #2, or 6/7 role. That is unless he reverts back to his april, early may and previous form.
Yes he definitely has the run production to be a number 3 hitter. I actually think he's a perfect number 3 hitter, I believe he's a better 3 hitter then 2 hitter because of the fact he can't bunt or atleast couldn't last year. However that being said I think he's the best option we have to bad 2nd, I'd rather have him there then Juan, jmo.

Viva Medias B's
12-15-2004, 12:02 AM
Should WSCR land White Sox games 2006, look for George to fill the same role Bruce Levine does now on WMVP.

Speaking of that, do we know where we are right now with the White Sox radio rights issue?

tadscout
12-15-2004, 12:25 AM
I think Rowand definitely could bat 3rd... he my not have have good HR power, but good gap power which is all you need with the speed in front of him... and this way Rowand also wouldn't get slowed down baserunning as he would batting 6th behind Paullie...

Foulke You
12-15-2004, 12:26 AM
Clement has always scared me, I'd prefer to sign Perez. Clement just seems like an injury waiting to happen.
I personally would feel better about Clement. Perez has pitched in a very pitcher friendly park the past few years and someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he also a flyball pitcher? Clement has pitched in Wrigley the past few seasons so he is used to pitching in a launch pad which unfortunately, our park became last year. He is also a ground ball pitcher which also suits our park better. Plus, Clement looks like he knows how to pitch more while Odalis looks to be more of a thrower. Just my .02. We probably won't get either guy though.:(:

pearso66
12-15-2004, 12:31 AM
I personally would feel better about Clement. Perez has pitched in a very pitcher friendly park the past few years and someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he also a flyball pitcher? Clement has pitched in Wrigley the past few seasons so he is used to pitching in a launch pad which unfortunately, our park became last year. He is also a ground ball pitcher which also suits our park better. Plus, Clement looks like he knows how to pitch more while Odalis looks to be more of a thrower. Just my .02. We probably won't get either guy though.:(:

Odalis is cheaper, and I believe someone brought up the stats yesterday or 2 days ago, and he is a ground ball pitcher, but i could be wrong. Clement worries me as a power pitcher that his arm will soon go out, and at 8-9 mil, which he will get, it doesnt seem worth the risk. Although if they do sign him, I wouldn't complain

tadscout
12-15-2004, 12:33 AM
Perez is just as much as a ground ball pitcher as Clement... BUT, he makes allot of mistake pitches that get bombed... 26 last year...

Ol' No. 2
12-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Odalis is cheaper, and I believe someone brought up the stats yesterday or 2 days ago, and he is a ground ball pitcher, but i could be wrong. Clement worries me as a power pitcher that his arm will soon go out, and at 8-9 mil, which he will get, it doesnt seem worth the risk. Although if they do sign him, I wouldn't complainThe thing that scares me off of Clement is that arm motion. He had a horrible last two months of 2004, so is it already giving out? Plus, he's not a big innings guy. Only 181 IP last year and almost never more than 200. I have reservations about Perez, too, but on balance, I'd choose Perez by a small margin, even at the same price. But Perez is going to be a bit cheaper, which seals the deal.

T-Bag
12-15-2004, 09:24 AM
It seems all the talk centers around Clement and Perez, what about Derek Lowe? Yeah I know Boras is his agent but there is little talk about him by any teams. Seems like we could get him for relatively a 'cheap' cost. I would love to have a guy that won the clinching games in the ALDS, ALCS and the world series.

Thoughts?

Ol' No. 2
12-15-2004, 10:22 AM
It seems all the talk centers around Clement and Perez, what about Derek Lowe? Yeah I know Boras is his agent but there is little talk about him by any teams. Seems like we could get him for relatively a 'cheap' cost. I would love to have a guy that won the clinching games in the ALDS, ALCS and the world series.

Thoughts?Look at his regular season stats. Pass.

Randar68
12-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Signing a 3rd baseman of any merit is stupid at this point with Josh Fields in AA this year less than 2 years away. Crede get's another chance this year, and frankly, IMO, I believe he'll turn it around. .280-28-80 is my prediction for Joe.

SEALgep
12-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Great idea.. but... LA doesn't need a third baseman. If Beltre isn't resigned by LA, Jeff Kent will play 3B.

All I can say is:
Polanco, Polanco, Polanco, Polanco, Polanco, Polanco, Polanco!!!!But with Crede, they could keep Kent at second. Not saying I want to do it, but it would still make sense for LA to move Cora, and keep Kent at second.

Randar68
12-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Look at his regular season stats. Pass.
GB/FB ratio well over 3 on his career and 52 wins in 3 years. What did he look like at the end of last year? Whoever signs Lowe might be getting the steal of the FA offseason with a change of scenery, IMO. Clement scares the bejeezus out of me.

SEALgep
12-15-2004, 10:37 AM
Signing a 3rd baseman of any merit is stupid at this point with Josh Fields in AA this year less than 2 years away. Crede get's another chance this year, and frankly, IMO, I believe he'll turn it around. .280-28-80 is my prediction for Joe.I think we can realistically expect a pretty decent year out of Crede.

Randar68
12-15-2004, 10:38 AM
The thing that scares me off of Clement is that arm motion. He had a horrible last two months of 2004, so is it already giving out? Plus, he's not a big innings guy. Only 181 IP last year and almost never more than 200. I have reservations about Perez, too, but on balance, I'd choose Perez by a small margin, even at the same price. But Perez is going to be a bit cheaper, which seals the deal.
I agree with this, but Clement carried that team and Dusty is notorious for not handling pitchers well. I don't think Clement is a guy who can regularly go any more than 7 IP. He's like Jon Leiber without the stamina, this guy has always scared me. He's now 30 years old and that injury clock is just ticking away. The violent recoil and throwing that many sliders.... *SHUDDER*

SEALgep
12-15-2004, 10:38 AM
GB/FB ratio well over 3 on his career and 52 wins in 3 years. What did he look like at the end of last year? Whoever signs Lowe might be getting the steal of the FA offseason with a change of scenery, IMO. Clement scares the bejeezus out of me.Boras is his agent though, seems like a red flag to not be the steal of the FA market. Would certainly like to have him, but he may be looking for more than he's worth.

Kogs35
12-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Should WSCR land White Sox games 2006, look for George to fill the same role Bruce Levine does now on WMVP.

Speaking of that, do we know where we are right now with the White Sox radio rights issue?no, the infinity fued with xm should keep them off wscr, and any infinity station. so i look for them to either stay on espn1000(if the abc people in dallas are smart and they deal with jerry), or goto fm radio.

Randar68
12-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Agreed. I prefer hit-and-run, high OBP, sac-bunt when you need to types of #2 hitters. All that being said, your #3 hitter not only has to drive in runs, but he has to set the table for the rest of the heart of the order as well. When Thomas is healthy, he'll again be in that position, you can't move that .400 OBP down when it's the only of its kind in the order.

Randar68
12-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Boras is his agent though, seems like a red flag to not be the steal of the FA market. Would certainly like to have him, but he may be looking for more than he's worth.
THose guys are all looking for more than their worth, but if Clement and Perez set the market for that tier of pitcher, Lowe is going to make less based on the numbers. He has until the 19th to decline arbitration formally and then we'll see if interest picks up.

Boras may wait until Perez and Clement sign and then shop Lowe to whoever the desperate remaining suitors are out there, thus raising his price. That being said, I'd certainly be looking into that over the Clement bidding war. I think signing Lowe in the 5-6 million range over Clement in the 8-9 million range would give a bunch more flexibility to look to fill C and 2B/SS. JMO.

D. TODD
12-15-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet. The PTBNL has been reported to be a high A ball lefty. I beleive his name is Streeter or Stecker. It was posted on the SI website under hot stove truth & rumors.

Ol' No. 2
12-15-2004, 10:49 AM
GB/FB ratio well over 3 on his career and 52 wins in 3 years. What did he look like at the end of last year? Whoever signs Lowe might be getting the steal of the FA offseason with a change of scenery, IMO. Clement scares the bejeezus out of me.When was the last time Lowe had a decent year? 2002. Each year since has gotten progressively worse. GB/FB ratio is great, but you still have to get guys out.

Ixnay on Owelay.

Flight #24
12-15-2004, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet. The PTBNL has been reported to be a high A ball lefty. I beleive his name is Streeter or Stecker. It was posted on the SI website under hot stove truth & rumors.
Welcome aboard!

From that, it looks like the guy is "Michael Stetter", a lefty on the Brewers High Desert Mavericks (A) team.

2004: 38.2IP / 1.30 WHIP / 2.07 K/BB / 6.83 K/9 / 8.15ERA

That's a horrible ERA, but not bad other stats. Anyone got a scouting report on this guy?

Randar68
12-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Welcome aboard!

From that, it looks like the guy is "Michael Stetter", a lefty on the Brewers High Desert Mavericks (A) team.

2004: 38.2IP / 1.30 WHIP / 2.07 K/BB / 6.83 K/9 / 8.15ERA

That's a horrible ERA, but not bad other stats. Anyone got a scouting report on this guy?
http://www.sports-wired.com/profiles/ST/tbc35460.asp

It's Mitch Stetter and he was at Indiana State, where the Sox have scouted several players over the past few years, so it makes sense that they have known about this guy for a while...

That being said, I have a lot of doubt about any SI report when no other legit baseball source is really talking about who that PTBNL really is yet...

Randar68
12-15-2004, 11:20 AM
When was the last time Lowe had a decent year? 2002. Each year since has gotten progressively worse. GB/FB ratio is great, but you still have to get guys out.

Ixnay on Owelay.
He won 17 games in 2003. His stuff was the same, it's all between the ears. Like I said, change of scenery...

Dadawg_77
12-15-2004, 11:32 AM
He won 17 games in 2003. His stuff was the same, it's all between the ears. Like I said, change of scenery...
Actually, it could just be luck and D behind him. Lowe's K rate stayed ruffly the same but HR/ BF went from 71 in 2002 to in the 50's the past two years. His g/f ratio has stayed around 3 while his avg has gone up. So more of those grounders were allowed to become hits by his D and for a ground ball pitcher that doesn't strike out a ton of guys, that will hurt you.

Randar68
12-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Actually, it could just be luck and D behind him. Lowe's K rate stayed ruffly the same but HR/ BF went from 71 in 2002 to in the 50's the past two years. His g/f ratio has stayed around 3 while his avg has gone up. So more of those grounders were allowed to become hits by his D and for a ground ball pitcher that doesn't strike out a ton of guys, that will hurt you.
Bill Mueller at 3rd, Ortiz at 1st, Walker at 2nd one year, Pokey Reese, Cabrera, Nomar....

His defense wasn't all world, but it wasn't terrible. Ortiz and Mueller have next to zero range and Reese was a 2nd baseman playing SS...

Lip Man 1
12-15-2004, 11:52 AM
For what it's worth:

A member of the media contacted me on this and he says to watch for the December 20th date.

That is the deadline for teams to make offers to their own players. He says the Sox are looking into the Alex Cora situation closely. With Jeff Kent on board it's possible L.A. will not make Cora an offer. If they don't, the Sox intend to pursue him figuring that with his brother as coach, he'd want to come him. It would be a relatively inexpensive free agent pickup.

The other non tender situation to watch for he says is Jerry Hairston Jr.

Lip

Flight #24
12-15-2004, 11:55 AM
For what it's worth:

A member of the media contacted me on this and he says to watch for the December 20th date.

That is the deadline for teams to make offers to their own players. He says the Sox are looking into the Alex Cora situation closely. With Jeff Kent on board it's possible L.A. will not make Cora an offer. If they don't, the Sox intend to pursue him figuring that with his brother as coach, he'd want to come him. It would be a relatively inexpensive free agent pickup.

Lip
ESPN Radio's reporting that the Cubs are trying to get Jorge Julio & Hariston for Sosa+Farnsworth. I have to assume there's a whole lot of cash going over as well, but I don't see hoe the O's would rather do that than just go sign Beltran themselves at Sham-me's $17mil tag. Angelos doesn't shy at throwing money around, and beltran would make a much bigger splash for him than Sosa in his battle with the Nationals.

Dadawg_77
12-15-2004, 11:56 AM

Lip
Instead of ESPN fixing the glitch, Kenny will take care of it for them, even though he will be the first 53 year old FA.

Lip Man 1
12-15-2004, 12:06 PM
You've lost me.

Lip

soltrain21
12-15-2004, 12:08 PM
You've lost me.

Lip

On ESPN's page they have Jerry Hairston (the older one), but have Jerry Hairston Jr's picture by it. It has all of his dads stats but his picture.

MeanFish
12-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Jerry Hairston is still on our payroll screen on ESPN's site. The elder, I mean.

Because of a glitch.