PDA

View Full Version : A.J. Pierzynski put on waivers...

MarkyBear
12-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Giants placed catcher A.J. Pierzynski on waivers for the purposes of giving him his unconditional release.
If a team thinks Pierzynski would come cheaper in arbitration than in a multiyear deal, it could claim him off waivers. It's more likely that he'll be allowed to become a free agent.

LINKED HERE (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_mlb.asp?sport=MLB)

DaveIsHere
12-14-2004, 10:06 PM
:chunks

ahhh I feel better

munchman33
12-14-2004, 10:36 PM
I'll take him. I'd rather have a clubhouse cancer that can hit than what we currently have. It's not like teams haven't won with headcases before (see this year's Bosox).

MarkyBear
12-14-2004, 11:08 PM
I'd welcome him on the Sox too...

Another left handed bat and not to mention a former Twinkie with maybe something to prove to his old team for trading him...

Not sure how his game calling is though, but that would be also be a big factor in it, can't be any worse than Davis or Burke...

jlim
12-14-2004, 11:26 PM
He seemed to call good games back with the Twins when we played them. I really hate him and Mientkiewicz from their days with the Twins although I could deal with him in a Sox uniform.

ChiSoxRowand
12-14-2004, 11:31 PM
I'll take him. I'd rather have a clubhouse cancer that can hit than what we currently have. It's not like teams haven't won with headcases before (see this year's Bosox).
Who was the headcase on the BoSox? If you are reffering to Nomar he was off the team when they started winning.

MRKARNO
12-14-2004, 11:34 PM
He's overrated and the White Sox would probably be just as well served with the Burke/Davis combo. He simply cannot draw a walk and when you're not hitting .320+, that's a major problem. He'd be lucky to draw 20 next year. In addition, he really sucks at throwing guys out at only 28%, though Davis wasnt that much better at 29%. Burke threw out 41% of baserunners, so he might be the best option to get the lion's share of time behind the plate. Burke is an enigma because he's done nothing but hit in the majors, but his minor league stats suggest that he cant keep this up.

oeo
12-14-2004, 11:46 PM
Who was the headcase on the BoSox? If you are reffering to Nomar he was off the team when they started winning.
*cough* Pedro *cough*...and many more.

Wealz
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Pierzynski's 3-year splits against right-handed pitching is .305/.353/.450 in 1,077 AB's. That is a significant improvement over anything we have.

santo=dorf
12-14-2004, 11:56 PM
A.J needs to cut down on his GIDP's. The best solution for that is to bat him behind Konerko. :redneck

Foulke You
12-15-2004, 01:47 AM
I just can't stand the guy and in my mind, for the money he'll probably command, you would only marginally be improving with him. You only think about getting this guy if it doesn't interfere with the plans to get a starter and he can be had without breaking the bank. As much as I hate him, one thing I do know for sure is that Ozzie probably wouldn't accept any of his clubhouse selfishness. I just think overall, we are ok with Davis and Burke who are already familiar with our pitching staff.

ma-gaga
12-15-2004, 11:07 AM
for the money he'll probably command, you would only marginally be improving with him. Well, he was put on waivers, that usually means a paycut. Last year he won his arbitration case, so SFG must have been nervous that he'd win again for the dollar amount that he'd be asking for. We'll see what he gets. I think he'd be worth about $4MM a year, but I'm biased pro-AJ.

Sabean's a moron. That entire team is riding on the coat-tails of B.Bonds. They need some additional offensive firepower and a couple of bullpen arms, and they sign a couple of defensive players and release a good offensive catcher.

Moronic.

mjharrison72
12-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Who was the headcase on the BoSox? If you are reffering to Nomar he was off the team when they started winning.Derek Lowe. Come to think of it, most of the pitching staff.

Randar68
12-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Giants placed catcher A.J. Pierzynski on waivers for the purposes of giving him his unconditional release.
If a team thinks Pierzynski would come cheaper in arbitration than in a multiyear deal, it could claim him off waivers. It's more likely that he'll be allowed to become a free agent.

LINKED HERE (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_mlb.asp?sport=MLB)The Giants players absolutely despised this guy. The Minnesota players bad-mouthed him after he left, and opposing players can't stand him either.

As far as playing the game, he's a huge upgrade over Burke. All that being said, by the time KW is done changing the roster, if he picked him up, AJ might be the only guy in the clubhouse who even speaks English, so who knows?

mdep524
12-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Just as an aside, how bad does that Joe Nathan-for-AJ Pierzynski trade look for the Giants now? A year later the guy they traded is a dominant closer, they guy they got was released.

MUsoxfan
12-16-2004, 03:54 AM
I hated A.J. when he played with the team that plays in the trashbag-Dome, and I hate him now. Once a whiny runt, always a whiny runt. Buehrle should have thrown at him more. There's a reason S.F. released him