PDA

View Full Version : Clement has received 2 offers...

WhiteSoxFan84
12-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Just heard this on The Score and it relates to the White Sox because we all think and want KW to go after Clement...

Angels have offered him 3 years, $21 mill ($7 mill per), according to the L.A. Times.
Blue Jays have offered him 3 years, $25 mill ($8.3 per), according to "published reports".

I read on ESPN that Boston will also get into the bidding soon as Pedro Martinez will sign with the Mets soon.

munchman33
12-14-2004, 02:23 PM
Um, sources?

T-Bag
12-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Um, sources?
umm he said on the score and it was per the LA Times in regard to the Angels.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Sorry for the late update with the sources.

I think we can all agree that if this is true Clement is too expensive for the White Sox unless he gives us a hometown discount for the sake of staying in Chicago. 3 years $8 mill per should be good for both sides.

If not, KW now more than ever needs to go after Odalis Perez and make Derek Lowe his plan B.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-14-2004, 02:28 PM
umm he said on the score and it was per the LA Times in regard to the Angels.
I edited it. The first post was just team name, years, and amount. Thanks for having my back though buddy :smile:

SoxxoS
12-14-2004, 02:32 PM
:KW

"Sky high"

Even if it's called a market for a reason...:rolleyes:

Baby Fisk
12-14-2004, 02:32 PM
I think we can all agree that if this is true Clement is too expensive for the White Sox unless he gives us a hometown discount for the sake of staying in Chicago. 3 years $8 mill per should be good for both sides.
Make it happen, Kenny!

soltrain21
12-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Yeah, hopefully he loves Chicago enough where we can sign him for 8 or 8.5 a year.

southsider17
Sorry for the late update with the sources.

If not, KW now more than ever needs to go after Odalis Perez and make Derek Lowe his plan B.
You mean the 5.42 ERA Derek Lowe?

And people here think Hermanson is "cheap, timid and stupid". Well it's better than "expensive, bold and stupid". (And that is not a knock on WSF84. I'm just using wordplay to express my point :smile: ).

Flight #24
Yeah, targeting Perez for $7-8mil/yr while the masses are slobbering over Clement for 8-10mil would qualify as "under the radar". Me likey.

Palehose13
12-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Yeah, targeting Perez for $7-8mil/yr while the masses are slobbering over Clement for 8-10mil would qualify as "under the radar". Me likey.
Could this be the infamous "X-Y" scenario that was discussed from the B&B interview?

hi8is
12-14-2004, 02:39 PM
now, see...
i have a surefire way to get clement to sign here

do you talk to clement about signing here? NO!!!
do you talk to his agent about signing here? NO!!!!

soo, ladies and gents, you may be asking....

HI8IS: WHO DO WE TALK TO THEN!?!?!?!?!

the anwser my friends is simple.... you talk to HIS WIFE!!!!

you tell her, look slut (errr, i mean mrs. clement) *cough* we uh, need your huband to pitch for us... and you like our city.... and we'll give him 7 million a year... in addition to that we will give him bonus incentives.... AND

in addition to that, we'll give YOU 1 million a year...

so, be a bitch, cry, kick, scream, threaten to divorce him... do what it takes, get him to sign this contract

no, go KW... do it and you will be rewarded

Randar68
12-14-2004, 02:40 PM
You mean the 5.42 ERA Derek Lowe?

And people here think Hermanson is "cheap, timid and stupid". Well it's better than "expensive, bold and stupid". (And that is not a knock on WSF84. I'm just using wordplay to express my point :smile: ).
Lowe also have a GB/FB ratio the last 3 years over 3 and 52 wins in 3 years. How terrible. Meanwhile, Matt Clement was demoted from the Cubs rotation at the end of last season and is a classic case of Tommy John surgery waiting to happen.

If you can get Lowe cheaper and use some of that money on C/2B? I'm all for that! Lowe needs a change of scenery more than anything. Granted, his agent is Boras, so...

T-Bag
12-14-2004, 02:41 PM
I edited it. The first post was just team name, years, and amount. Thanks for having my back though buddy :smile:
No problem!! :cool:

MarkyBear
12-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Maybe Lowe is the guy Boras mentioned awhile back as being a good fit for the Sox???

DaleJRFan
12-14-2004, 02:43 PM
now, see...
i have a surefire way to get clement to sign here

do you talk to clement about signing here? NO!!!
do you talk to his agent about signing here? NO!!!!

soo, ladies and gents, you may be asking....

HI8IS: WHO DO WE TALK TO THEN!?!?!?!?!

the anwser my friends is simple.... you talk to HIS WIFE!!!!

you tell her, look slut (errr, i mean mrs. clement) *cough* we uh, need your huband to pitch for us... and you like our city.... and we'll give him 7 million a year... in addition to that we will give him bonus incentives.... AND

in addition to that, we'll give YOU 1 million a year...

so, be a bitch, cry, kick, scream, threaten to divorce him... do what it takes, get him to sign this contract

no, go KW... do it and you will be rewarded
would any of this be considered "tampering?"

hi8is
12-14-2004, 02:46 PM
naaaawwwww NNNEEEEVVVVERRR!

southsider17
12-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Lowe also have a GB/FB ratio the last 3 years over 3 and 52 wins in 3 years. How terrible. Meanwhile, Matt Clement was demoted from the Cubs rotation at the end of last season and is a classic case of Tommy John surgery waiting to happen.

If you can get Lowe cheaper and use some of that money on C/2B? I'm all for that! Lowe needs a change of scenery more than anything. Granted, his agent is Boras, so...
I don't think he'll be bad. A change of scenery should help. But he will be expen$ive! Clement may cost more but he'll be a more reliable bet (and even he's inconsistent) and seems to have better 'stuff'. Odalis Perez may be the best buy. He should be cheaper than Lowe and is also a GB pitcher (not as much as Lowe, though).

I still would rather spend the Lee savings on an OPB guy. Who? I don't know.

NardiWasHere
12-14-2004, 02:47 PM
I rather sign Perez than get into a bidding war with Angel's and RedSox... BoSox lost out on Pavano, didnt resign Pedro.... we arent gonna sign Honest Abe, fellas.

Odalis has to be signed... HAS TO....

Realist
12-14-2004, 02:51 PM
If Perez is the better deal, sign him and Cairo. If Uncle Jerry don't like it, Kenny should just slap him and say, "Shut up. We're doin' this."

DaveIsHere
12-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Well if this is the case than here is to Mermanson being in the roatation:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :whiner: :(: :angry:

Edit: I call thos emoticon the three stages of not signing a SP FA

mdep524
12-14-2004, 02:53 PM
I rather sign Perez than get into a bidding war with Angel's and RedSox... BoSox lost out on Pavano, didnt resign Pedro.... we arent gonna sign Honest Abe, fellas.

Odalis has to be signed... HAS TO....
I agree and I think its pretty clear- Odalis is the better way to go.

hi8is
12-14-2004, 02:55 PM
If Perez is the better deal, sign him and Cairo. If Uncle Jerry don't like it, Kenny should just slap him and say, "Shut up. We're doin' this."
not only do i agree with the signings... but also love the idea of jerry being put in his place.... KW, make him your money whore
hahaha

Mongo
12-14-2004, 02:56 PM
As I Said Yesterday...We Will Be Signing Perez And The Equation Is Simple.

C Lee # 45 Gone!!

O Perez #45 Hello!!! KW Had To Free Up The Number Before He Went Out And Got Him !!!

See You Have To Think Like KW GUYS.....:D: :o: :tongue:

Realist
12-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Well if this is the case than here is to Mermanson being in the roatation:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :whiner: :(: :angry:

Edit: I call thos emoticon the three stages of not signing a SP FAHere's the final stage and one every Sox fan should have in their repertoire:http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/image.php?u=2019&type=profile&dateline=1102794074

Or maybe it should come just before the on fire emoticon.

Lip Man 1
12-14-2004, 04:51 PM
For what it's worth:

The Angels signed starting pitcher Paul Byrd to a one year contract today.

Lip

MRKARNO
12-14-2004, 05:03 PM
If we could get either pitcher at 3 years 21 million, I'd probably prefer Clement, because I have more confidence that his HR totals wont go up significantly than Odalis would because Wrigley was second only to the Cell last year in yielding homers. That being said, Odalis is 3 years younger and in my view has higher upside because he's not as wild as Clement. Odalis has less BBs and K's than Clement, so it kinda evens out. Odalis's K/BB ratio is better though. It's really about even. Both had great 2002 and 2004 seasons and not so good 2003 seasons. Either way at 3 years 21 mil, you cant go wrong.