PDA

View Full Version : Scouting report on Pods from a Brewer fan

SoxxoS
12-14-2004, 02:28 PM
I like this report...Although having a guy that swings for the fences is a rarity on this team...I think it will be a nice change...

Podz was my favorite Brewer, despite his suckiness in '04. Let me give you a bit of a scouting report.

In '03, he made his living by slapping balls to the opposite field and hitting singles. He was one of the best in the majors at it. Once he was on first you might as well gave him second. He's a top tier base stealer. He doesn't do it on speed alone either. He's a genuine student when it comes to scouting opposing pitchers and their moves to home.

However, in '04, he decided to take a completely different stance at the plate. He started turning on the ball and wanted to go for the fences. That's why his HR total increased. But the guy isn't a HR hitter. He would be an All-Star if he stuck with trying to hit singles and stealing bases.

He's also a below average fielder. He's got speed and that makes up for his terrible glove and arm somewhat, but not by much.

Still I like Scotty. He's a real likeable player. >>>

I also just read a story on ESPN saying that Pods had minor injuries throughout his minor league career...which took a toll on him and his numbers...

If I could just get another scouting report on him saying he's a good fielder...we may of just acquired the best CF in Sox history :D:

Tekijawa
12-14-2004, 02:32 PM
we may of just acquired the best CF in Sox history :D:

I just kicked the Dog and Joe Jackson rolled over in his grave after hearing that...

SoxxoS
12-14-2004, 02:33 PM
I'll put it in teal then...

SSN721
12-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Hmmm, seems to be one of the few positive things I have read all day. I think we could have traded Borchard for RJ + cash and people would have been ready to rip out their eyeballs in disgust at the deal. I am a little dissapointed to hear his defense isnt great, I thought for some reason that he was a t very least average leaning towards above average fielding.

34 Inch Stick
12-14-2004, 02:56 PM
It sounds like we simply traded power for speed at the plate with no difference in the field.

What is the deal with SPod. It sounds like he was playing out of position and batting in the wrong part of the order?

fquaye149
12-14-2004, 02:59 PM
FWIW when he hit .300 in 2003 he was batting second for the bulk of the year.

And by the way, I've seen him play quite a few times, living in Green Bay, and I don't feel his defense is bad. He's a lot like Rowand out there, only with more physical ability.

34 Inch Stick
12-14-2004, 03:04 PM
Rowand is not a pure centerfielder. I thought we were getting a great fielding, good arm, true lead off hitter. I am starting to be very troubled by this trade. Don't get me wrong, I love speed. However a corner outfielder has to be an Ichiro type (not Ichiro, as I realize he is singular) to justify his existence. That means hitting .300 with an OBP near .350 and great defense.