PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers a potential trade partner?

fuzzy_patters
12-14-2004, 12:43 PM
The recent trade with Milwaukee shows that KW is dead set on building a pitching and defense team. I just heard on mlb radio that the Dodgers might look to trade Alex Cora for a first baseman. Konerko for Cora and others seem so fit KW's m.o. this year, and Cora would certainly be a much better player than Scott freaking Podsednik. Cora had a .364 OBP last year and has an excellent glove. His OBP makes him a much better lead-off candidate than Podsednik. Could Konerko for Perez and Cora be in the works?

SoxxoS
12-14-2004, 12:45 PM
The recent trade with Milwaukee shows that KW is dead set on building a pitching and defense team. I just heard on mlb radio that the Dodgers might look to trade Alex Cora for a first baseman. Konerko for Cora and others seem so fit KW's m.o. this year, and Cora would certainly be a much better player than Scott freaking Podsednik. Cora had a .364 OBP last year and has an excellent glove. His OBP makes him a much better lead-off candidate than Podsednik. Could Konerko for Perez and Cora be in the works?
I would want a tad more for Konerko...I wouldn't mind Cora, though. I also think it depends on if the PTBNL is Ginter...which I don't think it is....

Palehose13
12-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Perez? Isn't he a FA?

hold2dibber
12-14-2004, 12:46 PM
No way. First, Perez is a free agent, so the Dodgers can't trade him. Second, while I think many people expected the Sox to trade Lee OR Konerko this offseason, I can't see them trading BOTH Lee and Konerko this off season.

nodiggity59
12-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Honestly, anything's possible. The Sox would definitely need some more players to come their way. The Dodgers don't have much, unless they'd be willing to part with Edwin Jackson or Yhancy Brezoban (sp).

I just really hope we get a SP and call it a day. Maybe replace Willie. Actually, Willie and Adkins/Cotts for Cora isn't a bad deal for us or the Dodgers.

fuzzy_patters
12-14-2004, 12:48 PM
Perez? Isn't he a FA?
Yes, he is. I forgot. My point in including Perez was that someone else might need to be thrown in to balance the trade out.

soltrain21
12-14-2004, 12:48 PM
Um...we better get a tad bit more than just Alex Cora.

Cora would be the ideal number 2 hitter in our lineup, but we need more than that.

eshunn2001
12-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Who the hell are the DOGERS???? The must be that Las Vegas Expansion team.

Tragg
12-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Something along these lines might be interesting, if we hadn't have made yesterday's boneheaded winter-meetings deadline desparation trade.

fuzzy_patters
12-14-2004, 12:55 PM
No way. First, Perez is a free agent, so the Dodgers can't trade him. Second, while I think many people expected the Sox to trade Lee OR Konerko this offseason, I can't see them trading BOTH Lee and Konerko this off season.I agree with that. However, thanks to KW we still don't have a lead-off hitter. Cora gets on base a lot more than Podsednik and would be better in that slot.

Personally, I would have rather kept Lee and traded Konerko, but Kenny has already made his blunder. I was looking at potential trade partners for the next move.

One thing this deal would do is clear payroll and open up a void at firstbase. How much money is Delgado wanting? I don't think trading Konerko for Cora followed by signing Clement and Delgado would be too bad. I would gladly let the Dodgers have Konerko for Cora straight up if it meant we got Delgado. That would leave us with this lineup:

2B Alex Cora
LF Scott Podsednik
1B Carlos Delgado -Konerko's money
DH Frank Thomas
RF Jermaine Dye
CF Aaron Rowand
SS Juan Uribe
3B Joe Crede
C Ben Davis

With a potential rotation of:
Buehrle
Garcia
Clement -Lee's money
Contreras
Garland

fuzzy_patters
12-14-2004, 12:56 PM
Who the hell are the DOGERS???? The must be that Las Vegas Expansion team.
Sorry, it was a typo. It happens.

DaleJRFan
12-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Reference my post regarding utility players. Sox don't need to trade their cleanup hitter for a B-list second baseman for the purpose of aquiring a leadoff, OBP guy... when they did just that yesterday.

Sign Clement, get Ginter from Milwaukee (ptbnl) and go to spring training.

DaleJRFan
12-14-2004, 01:03 PM
I agree with that. However, thanks to KW we still don't have a lead-off hitter. Cora gets on base a lot more than Podsednik and would be better in that slot.

Personally, I would have rather kept Lee and traded Konerko, but Kenny has already made his blunder. I was looking at potential trade partners for the next move.

One thing this deal would do is clear payroll and open up a void at firstbase. How much money is Delgado wanting? I don't think trading Konerko for Cora followed by signing Clement and Delgado would be too bad. I would gladly let the Dodgers have Konerko for Cora straight up if it meant we got Delgado. That would leave us with this lineup:

2B Alex Cora
LF Scott Podsednik
DH Frank Thomas
RF Jermaine Dye
CF Aaron Rowand
SS Juan Uribe
3B Joe Crede
C Ben Davis

Buehrle
Garcia
Clement -Lee's money
Contreras
GarlandThis is nutty. Why trade Lee anyway? Delgado wants more than 8m a year... doesnt make sense... and he is the last person I want to see in a Sox uniform. I'd want to jump in the dugout to put a boot up his A** every time he sat through the national anthem.

fuzzy_patters
12-14-2004, 01:05 PM
Reference my post regarding utility players. Sox don't need to trade their cleanup hitter for a B-list second baseman for the purpose of aquiring a leadoff, OBP guy... when they did just that yesterday.

Sign Clement, get Ginter from Milwaukee (ptbnl) and go to spring training.
That's the point. The Sox didn't aquire an OBP guy yesterday. Cora is an OBP guy.

eshunn2001
12-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Sorry, it was a typo. It happens.
No problem just giving you a hard time.

tadscout
12-14-2004, 01:17 PM
:threadsucks

cheeses_h_rice
12-14-2004, 01:23 PM
The Score just reported that the White Sox might be interested in one of the Dodgers' minor league infielders; can't remember his name. The Mets are also interested in this same player (a 6-year minor-leaguer).

mdep524
12-14-2004, 01:23 PM
I agree with that. However, thanks to KW we still don't have a lead-off hitter. Cora gets on base a lot more than Podsednik and would be better in that slot.

2B Alex Cora
LF Scott Podsednik
DH Frank Thomas
RF Jermaine Dye
CF Aaron Rowand
SS Juan Uribe
3B Joe Crede
C Ben Davis

Buehrle
Garcia
Clement -Lee's money
Contreras
Garland
Delgado is holding out for ridiculous money, otherwise I'd say this would not be a bad gameplan. Cora > Podsednik. And Dye + Delgado is rougly the same as Konerko + Lee. Plus you have a full five moan rotation, and line up that doesn't look like a morgue after the #5 hitter. I like it.

DaleJRFan
12-14-2004, 01:50 PM
That's the point. The Sox didn't aquire an OBP guy yesterday. Cora is an OBP guy.
I wasn't sayin' that Podsednik will have a 450 OBP next year, simply that KW got the guy he wanted to fill this role.

DaleJRFan
12-14-2004, 01:52 PM
The Score just reported that the White Sox might be interested in one of the Dodgers' minor league infielders; can't remember his name. The Mets are also interested in this same player (a 6-year minor-leaguer).
Please tell me it's not Jeremy Giambi!
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/minorleagues/team_roster.jsp?c_id=la&minor_id=PCLLAS

Tragg
12-14-2004, 01:53 PM
I think he's a minor league free agent first baseman; it's a matter of a signing, not a trade, per my understanding

sendimjoey
12-14-2004, 02:13 PM
I was on the Dodgers one year in Little League and our brilliant coach wrote "DOGERS" on every piece of equipment we had.

:D: :D: :D:

soxtalker
12-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Why would the Dodgers make such a deal? I could see this a year ago, when they needed a first baseman. But then they made the big trade with Florida. Isn't Choi at 1B for them for awhile?

jabrch
12-14-2004, 02:40 PM
Even though he had a .380 OBP in 2003 and has a .343 career OBP you are convinced he has no chance of having a good obp this year? You must know a lot about the future. What are this Friday's winning lotto numbers going to be?

mdep524
12-14-2004, 02:55 PM
Even though he had a .380 OBP in 2003 and has a .343 career OBP you are convinced he has no chance of having a good obp this year? You must know a lot about the future. What are this Friday's winning lotto numbers going to be?Why do you guys keep talk about Podsednik's "career" OBP like he's an established veteran? He only has 2 seasons! One was good, the more recent one was not. I hope he does well too, but using the term "career" OBP is very misleading.

eshunn2001
12-14-2004, 02:57 PM
I was on the Dodgers one year in Little League and our brilliant coach wrote "DOGERS" on every piece of equipment we had.

:D: :D: :D:
Nice lol.

santo=dorf
12-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Speaking of the Dodgers:
The Dodgers are confident that free agent Wilson Alvarez will return in 2005.
Alvarez, who made $1.5 million last season, wants to stay in L.A. and could accept arbitration if no deal is worked out.

Jjav829
12-14-2004, 03:40 PM
There's talk that the Dodgers (and the Dogers) could non-tender Cora, though that seemed dependant on Beltre signing. With Beltre looking more likely to leave LA, Kent may be considered at 3rd in which case they would keep Cora.

Another 2B to watch for when the non-tenders come out is Junior Spivey. He could be non-tender by the Brewers with Rickie Weeks in the wings, and Ginter still on the team.

fuzzy_patters
12-14-2004, 04:15 PM
Even though he had a .380 OBP in 2003 and has a .343 career OBP you are convinced he has no chance of having a good obp this year? You must know a lot about the future. What are this Friday's winning lotto numbers going to be?
His career minor league OBP is in the .340s, and he had a .313 OBP last year. Unless you think minor league pitching is better than major league pitching, the numbers suggest the .313 statistic is closer to his actual ability than one season of .379.

I'd hate to break it to you, but the difference between lottery tickets and baseball players' producion is that lottery tickets are entirely random. There are trends to the productions of baseball players, and the trends show that Podsednik sucks.

TimoPerez
12-14-2004, 04:29 PM
It is Luis Garcia. Last season he hit .313 with 32 home runs at Triple A for the Dodgers. He is a minor league free agent.

A. Cavatica
12-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Let's suggest Joey Cora for Alex Cora.