PDA

View Full Version : How many AAAA players is Kenny going to get?

California Sox
12-14-2004, 12:04 PM
There's a disturbing pattern emerging from the Sox: We're becoming a beacon for guys with extremely long minor league careers. Burke, Gload, Podsednik, Grilli, Adkins... Maybe we'll give Bryant Nelson a chance as well. Guys who come up to the majors at 26, 27, or older rarely have long careers. It's even rarer for them to be impact players or building blocks. I've been a fan of this team for a long time so I can remember other eras when the Sox were stocked with players who weren't good enough to make it to the majors either quickly or with their original organizations guys like Todd Cruz, Eddie Williams, Dan Pasqua, Wayne Nordhagen, Steve Lyons, Alan Bannister, the list goes on and on. And every year people would look at the Sox and say "Todd Cruz... if he could hit .280, he'd be better than Bucky Dent..." or equivalent and of course these players didn't perform and the Sox would SUCK. Every once in a while magic would strike (1983, 1977) but it would be a mirage and the following year the team would once again... SUCK.

Then came the nineties. The first time in my time as a Sox fan where we were actually throwing out true major leaguers at most positions. Ventura, Thomas, Durham, Lee, Maggs, Konerko, etc. The Sox actually had impact-type players. Now, it's true they only won two division titles and finished second about 1 million times. But they have not been in the first ten draft picks since 1990, why? Because they've not had a single year where they absolutely blew chunks. Why? Because they had some star players. Now, it seems, we've returned to the bad old days where there is a solid chance that Ross Gload, Scott Podsednik, Ben Davis, Jamie Burke, and Willie Harris will each get close to 300 ABs for a major league team *shudder*. And people on this board embrace this strategy. Don't we deserve major leaguers? At the prices we're paying? What's going to happen when Paulie leaves as a free agent and Frank eventually retires? Hey, maybe we can pry Kelton loose from the Cubs. He ought to be about 27, 28 by then.

I think KW's leading us into some dark, dark times.

OG4LIFE
12-14-2004, 12:09 PM
roadhouse?

bennyw41
12-14-2004, 12:10 PM
:chickenlittle Relax.... Games start in April.

fquaye149
12-14-2004, 12:12 PM
how many low A-ball posters are going to start eschatological threads?

TheBull19
12-14-2004, 12:22 PM
I can remember other eras when the Sox were stocked with players who weren't good enough to make it to the majors either quickly or with their original organizations guys like Todd Cruz, Eddie Williams, Dan Pasqua, Wayne Nordhagen, Steve Lyons,
What are you talking about, Steve Lyons had a career 3.00 ERA!

Tekijawa
12-14-2004, 12:27 PM
I think the roster can legally hold 40, how many we currently have is up for debate.