PDA

View Full Version : Keep John Garland...

jabrch
12-14-2004, 11:29 AM
5 Reasons Why...

1) If we trade him, we still need one more starter
2) A career 4.68 ERA at USCF in the AL? How bad is that for a 5th starter?
3) 12 wins for 3 years in a row - I'd take that from our #5. He has more wins the past 3 years than a guy like Kerry Wood - for whatever that's worth.
4) He's made 98 starts the past 3 years - that's durable
5) He is still only 25

No reason to trade him...

Rocky Soprano
12-14-2004, 11:30 AM
He would be a great #5 guy. Now go out and get a #3 guy and we should be looking at a solid SP staff.

Frater Perdurabo
12-14-2004, 11:32 AM
He would be a great #5 guy. Now go out and get a #3 guy and we should be looking at a solid SP staff.

If the Sox signed Clement or Perez, they would have the best rotation in the division and one of the best in the league.

Tragg
12-14-2004, 11:32 AM
He would be a great #5 guy. Now go out and get a #3 guy and we should be looking at a solid SP staff.Exactly

wilburaga
12-14-2004, 12:03 PM
No doubt Jon-Jon can be exasperating, but I actually think he showed progress last year. He went a little longer into games, adding 25 innings to his season high. He tracks the league average for ERA, which is not bad for a 4 or 5.

He's still young, and best of all, I've never heard the words Garland and labrum in the same sentence.

W

Realist
12-14-2004, 12:27 PM
6) He's a groundball pitcher in a ballpark thats new roof has turned it into a launch pad.

If we didn't have Garland and we just signed him to be our number 5 starter, I think most Sox fans would absolutely thrilled. Of course that's assuming we have already signed Clement or O. Perez.

:bandance:

Palehose13
12-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Yep. Very solid with a nice bullpen.

39thandWallace
12-14-2004, 12:36 PM
He's Gutless!

fuzzy_patters
12-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Jon Garland is highly underrated because of the ballpark he pitches in. His ERA+ for his career is 101, and it was 100 last year. For those unfamiliar with the metric, 100 is an average pitcher adjusted for league and ballpark. This would make his a good 3 or 4 starter, and he would be a great number 5.

Clement has only posted 3 seasons higher than 100 in his career, but they were the last 3. His career ERA+ is only 98, but he posted a career high 128 last year. In other words, if Clement regresses to his averages, he is worse than Jon Garland. However, putting up 3 straight above average seasons suggest that he has improved and is probably a better than average pitcher. Even if last year was his peak year, the numbers seem to suggest we can expect an ER+ above 110 for next year from him.

In other words, Clement is better than Garland, but he is not bad. In fact, Garland is actually better than Clement was at his age. If we are building for next year, I say we sign Clement, but if we are building for the future, I think we should stick with Garland. Personally, I think the best recourse is to sign Clement, but to also hang on to Garland because he is going to become a good pitcher as he enters his peak years. Let's not forget he will only be 25 next year.