PDA

View Full Version : What do we do with 3B?

nasox
12-14-2004, 10:34 AM
What should we do? A lot of people I talked to are saying we need to upgrade 3B.
I, however,0 think we should give Crede another year. Despite his really really really long swing, he has been working a lot this offseason. I think he needs another chance, and I don't think he's liable at third. But I wanna see what you guys think. Do we even have the money to sign a clement type pitcher and upgrade 3B? If so, who can we sign?

DaveIsHere
12-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Crede is solid on the defensive end, hopefully his offense comes through, lets worry about a SP first

Jjav829
12-14-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm willing to give Crede another year. I think he'll put it together this year and give us a much better year. That said, I'd be looking at the non-tenders come Monday to see if any cheap options become available. Of course, the same can be said for pitching as well.

DaleJRFan
12-14-2004, 10:42 AM
despite the fact that he is really goofy looking, you've gotta love his D-fense. The bat will come around. If he can manage to hit 265-270 with 20 hr - 80 rbi, we'll all be defending him instead of contemplating possible "solutions at third base."

Give him another year, if he stinks it up again, run him out of town.

MRKARNO
12-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Crede gets one more year. Spend the money on Odalis/Clement

mdep524
12-14-2004, 12:01 PM
despite the fact that he is really goofy looking, you've gotta love his D-fense. The bat will come around. If he can manage to hit 265-270 with 20 hr - 80 rbi, we'll all be defending him instead of contemplating possible "solutions at third base."

Give him another year, if he stinks it up again, run him out of town.
Man, talk about goofy... that pic of Hermanson in your sig is downright creepy!

DumpJerry
12-14-2004, 12:03 PM
To paraphrase John Lennon "All we are saying, is give Joe a chance..."

DaleJRFan
12-14-2004, 12:07 PM
Man, talk about goofy... that pic of Hermanson in your sig is downright creepy!It would appear that his hat it too tight! I could care less how creepy he looks, so long as he doesn't throw Vlad a first pitch hanging curve ball when we are down a run in the ninth...

TheBull19
12-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Man, talk about goofy... that pic of Hermanson in your sig is downright creepy!
He ain't pretty no moe, to quote Moe

jackbrohamer
12-14-2004, 01:14 PM
I hope Crede comes through but he's been the "3B of the future" for so long it's ridiculous. I'm sure his $340,000 salary will have no impact on the decision whether to keep starting him.

John Barrett
12-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Crede gets until the all-star break ... if not producing ship him out... sick and tired of his attitude anyway

kittle42
12-14-2004, 01:49 PM
What do we do with third base?

Obviously, we have Podsednik steal it.

Nellie_Fox
12-14-2004, 02:18 PM
I noticed that nobody discussed the Sun Times article (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox13.html) that said the Sox were looking at Japanese third baseman Norihiro Nakamura. One of the professors in my department is Japanese and a huge baseball fan. He said he thinks Nakamura is a little better hitter than Matsui. Take it for what it's worth.

Ol Aches & Pains
12-14-2004, 08:27 PM
I noticed that nobody discussed the Sun Times article (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox13.html) that said the Sox were looking at Japanese third baseman Norihiro Nakamura. One of the professors in my department is Japanese and a huge baseball fan. He said he thinks Nakamura is a little better hitter than Matsui. Take it for what it's worth.
Let's get him now! Joe Crede has been the 3rd baseman of the future for about six years. Well the future is now, and it ain't Joe Crede. Enough already!

humansushi
12-14-2004, 09:05 PM
No friggin' way is Nakamura a better hitter than Matsui. This guy is NOT what we want. I live in Japan and watch alot of baseball here ( came here 10 years ago). The guy does have some power, but avg. will take a hit in the MLB. Were looking at a Koskie type player with a Barry Bonds attitude. Absolutely can't stand this guy, so your professor must be a Hanshin Tigers fan, main rival of the Giants(which I also despise) where Matsui came from.

While Matsui was playing for Tokyo I didn't like him, for that reason. But he is a genuinely nice guy, and outstanding hitter! Nakamura couldn't hold this guys jock strap!

FedEx227
12-14-2004, 09:11 PM
As much as I hate Crede, and as much as I believe we need an upgrade at 3rd base, we have bigger fish to fry, mainly 2nd/SS, and SP, but getting the Jap. would be great, somebody to fill in when Crede hits one of his usual mid-season slumps. His D is great though, and is probably the only reason hes still on this team.

kojak
12-14-2004, 09:53 PM
I think our most critical need is 2B. We will not make any kind of run at the Twins with Willie Harris at second. I am perfectly fine with Crede being the one weak spot in our lineup (well, after LF-- oh yeah, and C) but we definitely need a 2B that can at least hit .285 and/or knock in 70 runs. If we can find such an animal, then I will take .250/25/80 from Crediocre in a NY minute.

Where is Ray Durham when you need him???

Ol Aches & Pains
12-14-2004, 10:12 PM
No friggin' way is Nakamura a better hitter than Matsui. This guy is NOT what we want. I live in Japan and watch alot of baseball here ( came here 10 years ago). The guy does have some power, but avg. will take a hit in the MLB. Were looking at a Koskie type player with a Barry Bonds attitude. Absolutely can't stand this guy, so your professor must be a Hanshin Tigers fan, main rival of the Giants(which I also despise) where Matsui came from.

While Matsui was playing for Tokyo I didn't like him, for that reason. But he is a genuinely nice guy, and outstanding hitter! Nakamura couldn't hold this guys jock strap!
OK, he may not be better than Matsui, but I'm more interested in knowing if he's better than Joe Crede.

OG4LIFE
12-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Hey everyone, KW already has a backup plan if/when crede sucks it up- josh fields is probably 1 season away, and at this point in his career, joe crede is definitely in 'put up or shut up' territory. if crede tanks again this year, look for fields to step in. every indication is that fields will be a decent producer at big league level.

OzzieBall2004
12-14-2004, 10:24 PM
As much as I hate Crede, and as much as I believe we need an upgrade at 3rd base, we have bigger fish to fry, mainly 2nd/SS, and SP, but getting the Jap. would be great.....

Jap? Nice, you seem like a class act

kittle42
12-14-2004, 11:41 PM
but getting the Jap. would be great,
Real nice.

humansushi
12-15-2004, 01:20 AM
OK, he may not be better than Matsui, but I'm more interested in knowing if he's better than Joe Crede.
I would say not. Both have a little pop in their bats, but can't hit for average very well. Nakamura may take a few more walks though that would be nice, but is obviously on the downside of his career. I honestly agree with most that we have other needs to fill more than 3b,especially with the nice D Crede can play. Having to bid to buyout his contract from the Japanese club first, before even negotiating the 2-3 million a year contract he'll AT LEAST want ( to what? platoon with Crede?)is not worth it in my opinion. Too much unknown about what he'll bring, despite the fact he thinks he's God's gift to baseball here in Japan.

jenmcm76
12-15-2004, 07:46 AM
I think our most critical need is 2B. We will not make any kind of run at the Twins with Willie Harris at second. I am perfectly fine with Crede being the one weak spot in our lineup (well, after LF-- oh yeah, and C) but we definitely need a 2B that can at least hit .285 and/or knock in 70 runs. If we can find such an animal, then I will take .250/25/80 from Crediocre in a NY minute.

Where is Ray Durham when you need him???
I think Crede should stay just so we can keep using the term "Crediocre"! Seriously, I miss Ray... (NOT supposed to be in teal) There's no better way to start a game than with a leadoff home run.

Nellie_Fox
12-15-2004, 01:18 PM
Absolutely can't stand this guy, so your professor must be a Hanshin Tigers fan, main rival of the Giants(which I also despise) where Matsui came from.LOL...actually, I think you're correct, I think he is a Tigers fan.