PDA

View Full Version : Revamped bullpen

Mohoney
12-14-2004, 09:25 AM
With Shingo in the closer's role and Vizcaino, Hermanson, Politte, and Marte all in the fold as setup guys, I think that this facet of our team has gone from a glaring weakness to a real strength.

My question is this: does Kevin Walker or Arnie Munoz have a chance to win a situational lefty spot?

If we go with 12 pitchers, and Walker or Munoz makes the team, can Cotts can fill a long relief/spot starter role?

A bullpen looking like this would have me feeling real good about our chances to hold tight leads and steal some late inning games:

Cotts
Walker
Politte
Marte
Vizcaino
Hermanson
Shingo

Can Daver, Randar, MrKarno, Rex, or any of our other minor league experts please weigh in with an opinion and a scouting report on Walker?

gosox41
12-14-2004, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=Mohoney]With Shingo in the closer's role and Vizcaino, Hermanson, Politte, and Marte all in the fold as setup guys, I think that this facet of our team has gone from a glaring weakness to a real strength.

My question is this: does Kevin Walker or Arnie Munoz have a chance to win a situational lefty spot?

If we go with 12 pitchers, and Walker or Munoz makes the team, can Cotts can fill a long relief/spot starter role?

A bullpen looking like this would have me feeling real good about our chances to hold tight leads and steal some late inning games:

Cotts
Walker
Politte
Marte
Vizcaino
Hermanson
Shingo

QUOTE]

I like Schoeneweis over Cotts in the bullpen. But the bullpen is starting to shape up nicely.

Now the Sox need to get a fifth starting pitcher.

Bob

mjharrison72
12-14-2004, 10:29 AM
I think Hermanson is more likely to fill the spot starter role... he started half of last season for the Giants before moving to the pen.

FarmerAndy
12-14-2004, 10:56 AM
Do we still have Scho? Or would we have to go out and re-sign him.

He's a good pitcher. I just think that after a few years in the pen, his arm didn't have enough to go a full season as a starter. I like him in my bullpen way more than Walker.

Is he Sox property or not?

A bullpen of Cotts, Scho, Pollite, Vizcaino, Hermanson, Marte, and Shingo looks pretty nice to me.

SoxFanTillDeath
12-14-2004, 03:05 PM
Shoney is a free agent and won't be back on the Sox. He is not an option at this point. He criticized the Sox brass and burned his bridge here, so forget about him.

Also, he made the move to the rotation because he didn't want to be in the bullpen anymore. Even if we did get him back, I don't think that would work out.

Ol' No. 2
12-14-2004, 03:10 PM
Shoney is a free agent and won't be back on the Sox. He is not an option at this point. He criticized the Sox brass and burned his bridge here, so forget about him.

Also, he made the move to the rotation because he didn't want to be in the bullpen anymore. Even if we did get him back, I don't think that would work out.No, he's not. He's arbitration-eligible. The Sox have until Dec 20 to decide on him. My guess is they'll try to trade him for a prospect if they can. He's probably good enough to be a 5th starter on some teams. If they can't trade him, they'll let him go. The only reason Kenny is talking about keeping him is that if everyone knows he'll be non-tendered, he has no trade value.

Flight #24
12-14-2004, 03:33 PM
No, he's not. He's arbitration-eligible. The Sox have until Dec 20 to decide on him. My guess is they'll try to trade him for a prospect if they can. He's probably good enough to be a 5th starter on some teams. If they can't trade him, they'll let him go. The only reason Kenny is talking about keeping him is that if everyone knows he'll be non-tendered, he has no trade value.
Depends. if they can't find a decent SP (unlikely, I think they made the trade feeling strong about their chances of getting a Clement/Perez type), then IMO they'll offer arb or some to an agreement & resign him so that they have another option for the 5th starter. Then ST will decide between Grilli/Shoney/Diaz with Hermanson as a longshot (only if all of the above just plain suck). Outside shot to BMac.

maggsmaggs
12-14-2004, 06:25 PM
you forgot about Jon Adkins, he was real good at times last year, he just got tired.

Ol' No. 2
12-14-2004, 06:30 PM
Depends. if they can't find a decent SP (unlikely, I think they made the trade feeling strong about their chances of getting a Clement/Perez type), then IMO they'll offer arb or some to an agreement & resign him so that they have another option for the 5th starter. Then ST will decide between Grilli/Shoney/Diaz with Hermanson as a longshot (only if all of the above just plain suck). Outside shot to BMac.Maybe. Even in arbitration, it's not likely he'll get more than about $2M, and since he's not a 6-yr FA, there's no restriction on trading him later in the winter or even during ST. Given the way Ozzie talked about him last year, I don't think he wants him on the team, though. I'd say it's very long odds he will be on the team next year.

FedEx227
12-14-2004, 09:15 PM
god I hope Arnie doesn't find a way into the pen rotation.....I saw enough Arnie from the one Expos game.

MRKARNO
12-14-2004, 09:24 PM
god I hope Arnie doesn't find a way into the pen rotation.....I saw enough Arnie from the one Expos game.
That game was god-awful, but you cant dismiss the guy entirely bc of one game. The organization miscast him as a starter and he'll be a good reliever.

FedEx227
12-14-2004, 09:29 PM
honestly, when you're that horrendous against the Expos.......you don't look like a good pitcher in any form.

Felix Diaz looks good in relief though, but I suppose I'll give Arnie another shot....