PDA

View Full Version : 5th Starter Russian Roulette

Dolanski
12-14-2004, 08:29 AM
OK, the sportswriters are saying the Sox saved so much cash that they are in the hunt for some big time free agent pitchers. Even KW has said we are in the Clement mix, but, being the pessemistic Sox fan I am, I don't think they sign anyone.

Here's what I got:

KW first said that this move gives them flexibility to add another player in June or July. Doesn't sound like someone after free agents right now.

They signed Jose Viscaino and Dustin Hermanson...great, awesome, shored up a short bullpen. BUT, we have two guys who spent the entire year in the bullpen and don't seem to have a role in it anymore, and are too good for the minors. May I introduce next season's leading 5th starter candidates, Jon Adkins and Neal Cotts.

If you add Jason Grilli and the other clowns (until they can pitch effectively in the majors, they are clowns) that were the blackhole of White Sox 5th starters, we have at least 5 candidates for 5th starter. And, we can't forget about Schoney, who I think is gone because 1) othere choices are cheaper, and 2) he spoke publicly against the organization for not signing him/not using him to start, etc.

Now, Clement would be great, so would Odalis, but I think above is Plan A. Of course, publicly, they are seeking a free agent starter, but I think its going to come down to Grilli, Adkins, or Cotts. None of these guys wowed us last year, but the talk on Adkins and Cotts was that these guys are wanted men because they are young and have stuff that is electric. And KW has been riding Grilli's jock ever since they snatched him in Rule 5 last year.

So, White Sox NATION, who is our 5th starter next year?

OEO Magglio
12-14-2004, 08:39 AM
OK, the sportswriters are saying the Sox saved so much cash that they are in the hunt for some big time free agent pitchers. Even KW has said we are in the Clement mix, but, being the pessemistic Sox fan I am, I don't think they sign anyone.

Here's what I got:

KW first said that this move gives them flexibility to add another player in June or July. Doesn't sound like someone after free agents right now.

They signed Jose Viscaino and Dustin Hermanson...great, awesome, shored up a short bullpen. BUT, we have two guys who spent the entire year in the bullpen and don't seem to have a role in it anymore, and are too good for the minors. May I introduce next season's leading 5th starter candidates, Jon Adkins and Neal Cotts.

If you add Jason Grilli and the other clowns (until they can pitch effectively in the majors, they are clowns) that were the blackhole of White Sox 5th starters, we have at least 5 candidates for 5th starter. And, we can't forget about Schoney, who I think is gone because 1) othere choices are cheaper, and 2) he spoke publicly against the organization for not signing him/not using him to start, etc.

Now, Clement would be great, so would Odalis, but I think above is Plan A. Of course, publicly, they are seeking a free agent starter, but I think its going to come down to Grilli, Adkins, or Cotts. None of these guys wowed us last year, but the talk on Adkins and Cotts was that these guys are wanted men because they are young and have stuff that is electric. And KW has been riding Grilli's jock ever since they snatched him in Rule 5 last year.

So, White Sox NATION, who is our 5th starter next year?

Kenny never said he's going to hold on to the money until June, he was actually asked if he wants to spend the money now or wait till June. He said he would still like to add a starter and he's looking right now but if they don't find anything he'll save their new found resources until june of july.

EDIT: Also if the sox don't get another starter I'd be willing to bet that Neal and Jon both start the year in the pen but if Clement or Perez is signed then Neal will get the last spot in the bullpen.