PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Uniform Help

kruzer31
12-14-2004, 03:03 AM
The 1971 home uniforms were a button up jersey. But the road one, which were a turquoise blue with red lettering were for sure a zipper up, just like the Philadelphia Phillies wore in the early 80s with Pete Rose . The authentic M and N jerseys are a steep price but on ebay you can get the road ones from time to time for around 100 dollars. Just go to ebay and type in Dick Allen jersey because he is the only player i have ever seen on ebay in the 71 jersey. The only problem with the cheaper jersey is it might be a rip off but my friend has one and it is exactly the same material as the authentic, but with one problem. Those 71 road jerseys did not have the names on the back, and the ones on ebay from time to time have Allens name on the back. Not a big deal cuz it looks sweet and authentic anyways, plus you save 200 bucks.
I have Jack McDowells rookie jersey with the Chicago script where the C looks like an E. I also have a Thomas jersey from 1990 in that style. A Fisk and Luzinski 83 jersey and countless jerseys of players from the past few years. I only collect authentic but took a chance on one jersey this past summer not knowing full details. This past summer Majestic released some College Legends jerseys including Nomar at Georgia Tech, Clemens Texas jersey, Bonds Arizona St, and a Giambi Long Beach st i think. There was an Auburn Frank Thomas jersey but i was skeptical to buy it because his number on the Auburn jersey was 79. After much research I never found out if he ever wore that number at Auburn but i bought it anyways, since the jersey was made my majestic and authentic. If anyone can help with a picture of Frank at Auburn in the 79 jersey or could prove that he did wear that number I would appreciate the help. Thanks guys, any other questions on jerseys feel free to ask me.

Wsoxmike59
12-14-2004, 06:51 AM
The 1971 home uniforms were a button up jersey. But the road one, which were a turquoise blue with red lettering were for sure a zipper up, just like the Philadelphia Phillies wore in the early 80s with Pete Rose . Kruzer the Home Red Pin Stripes were zippered as well. Take a look at Leo Bauby's White Sox photo page below. Click on the 1st picture link of Luis Alvarado taken on Opening Day 1971....the uni is sporting a zippered front.

I also went to an early season game that year and I had seats down by the Sox on deck circle. We went early to watch batting practice, and Luke Appling came over by our section and started signing autographs. I got Luke to sign my scorebook (which I still have BTW!) and when I got up close to him it was the first thing I noticed about the uniform was that it had a zipper.

http://www.chicago-baseball-photos.com/years/1971-75.htm

HITMEN OF 77
12-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Indeed the 1971 home and raod jerseys were BOTH zipper fronts. Also the 1971 jerseys were the last to be made of flannel. So the 1971's are sorta unique one year styles in that manner. I have a '71 Horlen Road and a '71 Forester home.