PDA

View Full Version : Will the Sox try signing Paulie back?

Navaro's Talent
12-14-2004, 03:00 AM
As far as I'm concerned, it looks pretty certain that Konerko is staying put. Unless the Diamondbacks get desparate, I just don't see the Sox getting involved in any deal that would bring Randy Johnson to the Sox or the Yankees. The team just cleared up a lot of money to go out and get another starter, so I just don't see the point in trading Konerko (and most likely Garland) to get Vazquez. Granted, Vazquez is a good pitcher, but we already lost Carlos and don't need to lose Paul too.

So, what are the chances the KW can sign Paulie to an extension? I've heard Konerko say that he loves playing here many times before, so I think we can certainly keep him. In fact, I think it's vital that we keep him now that Carlos is gone. The team had an '06 option with Carlos, but they don't have the luxury with Konerko. KW better get going on this, unless there are better hitters on the market after next season.

MIgrenade
12-14-2004, 03:06 AM
First, there are a lot of players who have said they love being in Chicago and they want to stay, but I put little credit in that. Second, with KW's new idea for the team, I don't know if an extremely slow power hitter will still fit in the mix. I like Paulie - last year anyway - but you don't know what youre getting. He's only put one whole year together and he grounds into a lot of DP's. All anyone can hope for is that he puts all of next year together for the Sox.

MUsoxfan
12-14-2004, 03:10 AM
I'm a Paulie fan and I hope he signs a long term extension. He's a good team guy and turning into a decent clutch player.

Chrisaway
12-14-2004, 03:20 AM
"I'd give my left nut for this team."-PK

Hey I like the guys attitude.

MUsoxfan
12-14-2004, 03:32 AM

If that quote doesn't say it, I don't know what does

SoxFanTillDeath
12-14-2004, 10:17 AM

Yes, and maybe we could get lance armstrong to sign and play 3rd base!

(For any Armstrong fans who are offended, I apologize. Harmless joke. Nothing meant by it.)

jshanahanjr
12-14-2004, 10:36 AM
I hope they sign him to an extension. He's a team guy regardless if you think he's overrated or not.

SoxFan78
12-14-2004, 10:39 AM
I sure hope Pauly is back, because with El Caballo gone now, without Pauly, where is our power gonna come from?

kittle42
12-14-2004, 10:43 AM
:reinsy

"Sure we will re-sign him. If he's willing to take a pay cut. If not, we will just have to trade Garcia and Big Frank to free up room."

faneidde
12-14-2004, 12:10 PM
First, there are a lot of players who have said they love being in Chicago and they want to stay, but I put little credit in that. Normally, I would agree with you. But Paulie seems like such a stand-up guy that I really do buy it.

Tragg
12-14-2004, 12:49 PM
I remember when I was 19, the Sox traded 2 live arms (those would be Terry Forster and Goose Gossage) for Richie Zisk who was close to being a FA. I questioned this move, but then I felt confident when Zisk informed us all, with emotional words something like this: "I had a dream - I was born to be a White Sox and Chicago will became my home for the rest of my life"; he made Martin Luther King sound like drying paint.

The next year: He's Gone! Took the FA contract straight out of town

mdep524
12-14-2004, 12:50 PM
I don't know, I'm not so quick to say we should definitely sign Konerko long term now that Carlos is gone. When I think about the future, I get this feeling that Paulie will never be as good as he was in 2004. As he gets older and his hip condition worsens he may become a big injury risk, unable to play the field at all and basically only a singles, GIDP, pop up or HR hitter at the plate.

I'm not saying the sky is falling, just pointing out that Konerko is no sure bet to age gracefully in this game. I would still be open to trading him right now while his value is the highest it will ever be. He still might be able to fetch the Sox a Jerry Hairston or Tim Hudson or something valuable. Plus if he is the dealt the Sox will have a hell of a lot of salary room (relative to their own artifical constraints) to pursue a big time run producer to replace him.

Jurr
12-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Yes, and maybe we could get lance armstrong to sign and play 3rd base!

(For any Armstrong fans who are offended, I apologize. Harmless joke. Nothing meant by it.)I am offended because I'm now having to clean my coffee up off of my monitor. Heh heh heh.