PDA

View Full Version : Our 2000 Team

Sox Mobile
12-13-2004, 03:12 AM
With the departure of Give Me Mo Magglio and Jose, I feel like our 2000 offensive squad has been officially disbanded.

I think Ray is the only ex-member of that team who went on to have much success.

Herbert Perry, Fordyce, C. Johnson, Graffinino, Singleton, all of them great guys and hard workers and shuffled around since then.

Does anyone know if Chris is being picked up? They loved him in Baltimore but he just couldnt hit the ball. I dont think he got much play time in SD.

I have my own theory about the end of the 2000 season and the GAWD AWFUL "I can't hit the ball if my life depended on it" playoff series.

The night Ray collapsed on the field, I think it was the 2nd week of Sept, it somehow changed everything. They went cold for the rest of the regular season and went into the playoffs like walking talking ice cubes.

How crazy is it for we fans to now let Konerko and or Lee go after we suffered through their growing pains and are now worth their salt?

santo=dorf
12-13-2004, 03:17 AM
Singleton was signed by the Pirates last offseason but failed a physical, and retired.

SomebodyToldMe
12-13-2004, 03:22 AM
The night Ray collapsed on the field, I think it was the 2nd week of Sept, it somehow changed everything. They went cold for the rest of the regular season and went into the playoffs like walking talking ice cubes.

Damn. I remember that game. That was crazy stuff.

And about the team, this is how it always is. A team that you remember cheering for is pretty much no more. New faces, new coaches. It can get pretty weird. And I feel old now.

Sox Mobile
12-13-2004, 03:24 AM
Thanx for the Chris info, but its hard to imagine someone as buff as him failing a physical, I hope things are OK for him

doublem23
12-13-2004, 04:01 AM
Thanx for the Chris info, but its hard to imagine someone as buff as him failing a physical, I hope things are OK for him
It's not your standard, "you're not going to die within the year unless you get run over by a truck," physical. He's probably in better shape than 95% of the population.

BRDSR
12-13-2004, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=Sox Mobile]
Herbert Perry, Fordyce, C. Johnson, Graffinino, Singleton, all of them great guys and hard workers and shuffled around since then.

QUOTE]

One of best things Reinsdorf ever said was that Graffinino was one of his favorite players. I loved Graff when he played here and would kill to see him back in a White Sox uni. Especially now, with our middle infield as shaky as it is. I think he signed a two year deal with KC and was starting at the beginning of last season due to an injured second baseman. Anyone know what his situation in KC is now?

doublem23
12-13-2004, 09:50 AM
One of best things Reinsdorf ever said was that Graffinino was one of his favorite players. I loved Graff when he played here and would kill to see him back in a White Sox uni. Especially now, with our middle infield as shaky as it is. I think he signed a two year deal with KC and was starting at the beginning of last season due to an injured second baseman. Anyone know what his situation in KC is now?
He signed in KC to be the starter. I think KW said he let Graff go because he respected him too much to deny him a chance to start everyday in the MLB.

BRDSR
12-13-2004, 10:01 AM
He signed in KC to be the starter. I think KW said he let Graff go because he respected him too much to deny him a chance to start everyday in the MLB.
Yeah, I knew that. But he didnt' start for them most of the season did he? Anyway, we should bring him back, make him a starter. He reminded me a lot of Robin Ventura. I'd love to have him back. He would be cheap and he could start over Willie especially when we're facing left handers. And anyway, Willie is one of those players who is valuable off the bench, he can play second and any outfield position. He also has the type of speed that is so valuable in a pinch runner. I'm hereby kicking off the official "Bring Back Graff" campaign. There will be t-shirts and posters and we'll wear them to SoxFest and pound KW with a series of questions about him and chant "Bring Back Graff! Bring Back Graff!" Who's with me?!

infohawk
12-13-2004, 10:26 AM
I have my own theory about the end of the 2000 season and the GAWD AWFUL "I can't hit the ball if my life depended on it" playoff series.
I have always thought that the success of the 2000 team was somewhat of an abberation. It was a solid team, but many of the players to a certain extent played over their heads. Several players on that team were having career years up to that point. Singleton hit around .300 and even Valentin hit for average. Perry held down third base and produced more offense then the team probably expected from a Tampa Bay castoff. Cal Eldred pitched a terrific first half before breaking down. Foulke emerged as a dominant closer and Howry was an excellent set-up man.

The 2000 team won the division in the first half of the season. Particularly on that road trip when they swept Cleveland and New York. The team played much more mediocre ball in the second half. This mediocrity carried into the playoffs. The pitching had begun to break down by the middle to end of the season. Eldred went down, Baldwin and Sirotka had arm problems. Remember, Jim Parque was the opening day pitcher in the playoffs. As you may recall, the pitching had become such a concern that the Sox signed Ken Hill off the scrap heap for a short stint.

I do agree that Konerko, Lee and Ordonez emerged as solid players during that season. Other than this group, however, the rest of the team that remained over the next year or two clearly regressed to the mean. The success of the 2000 team conditioned us to think that we were at the beginning of a Cleveland-like run atop the division. I think our view of the talent of the team was therefore prejudiced. The Sox had a good team, but not the playoff caliber team we all thought they had. I don't think they have underachieved as much as played to their ability (the one possible exception being the 2003 squad). For the most part, they have been built to be an eighty-something win team. This is why I am thrilled to see management begin to change the focus to a pitching-first philosophy.

Sox Mobile
12-13-2004, 10:48 AM
I totally agree that the success of the 2000 team was a abberation of sorts, they did things they never should have. But that was part of the fun. Seeing the shock and surprise on their faces when they won was, as they say, priceless.

Gosox1917
12-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Singleton was signed by the Pirates last offseason but failed a physical, and retired.
Chris is going to do play by play for the Braves. I think he'll doing radio broadcasts for them next season. He was in the booth for an inning with Hawk and DJ back in September. He sounds like he's doing well and is very happy. He even did some play by play with Hawk and DJ, he's still got some work to do but he wasn't too bad.

As for that 2000 team, that was one of the most fun teams to watch in my years of watching the Sox. The 2003 second half was a close second, but that 2000 team seemed to really gel together and play some great baseball.

BRDSR
12-13-2004, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=Gosox1917]Chris is going to do play by play for the Braves. I think he'll doing radio broadcasts for them next season. He was in the booth for an inning with Hawk and DJ back in September. He sounds like he's doing well and is very happy. He even did some play by play with Hawk and DJ, he's still got some work to do but he wasn't too bad.[QUOTE]

Wait! Can he do color. Hawk and Chris. Hawk and Singleton. Hawk and Singles. Oh God, anything. Get DJ out of there!

chisoxmike
12-13-2004, 09:13 PM
Its strange, I remember the 93 team a lot more than the 2000 team.

Lip Man 1
12-13-2004, 09:22 PM
The Sox ended the 2000 season losing 5 of their last seven then dropped three straight in the ALDS.

By the middle of September the starting pitching was in shambles. Eldred was out and would only pitch three innings in late September, Baldwin was just coming back after missing more then a month, Sirotka hurt his arm in his last start of the season and Parque was apparently hurting (something that was revealed by Manager Gandhi after Jim's start in Game #1 of the ALDS), Garland who was brought up in July was no help at all (kind of like right now...)

Not exactly the way you want to go into a postseason eh?

Of course the brain trust that was the White Sox figured they needed hitting more then pitching in late July at the trade deadline!

Lip

Brian26
12-13-2004, 09:22 PM
I still believe that if there was some way to go back in time and let that 2000 team play in September the way they were playing in June, they would have run the table and won the World Series. In all my years of being a Sox fan, I've never seen a team get as hot as they were in June of 2000. It's like they couldn't lose if they tried. They ran through everyone they played like a hot knife through butter. If they could have played like that in the playoffs, they would have been unstoppable.