PDA

View Full Version : One More Question on the Maggs Fiasco...

StillMissOzzie
12-13-2004, 01:45 AM
There's still one thing about the Maggs fiasco that's not clear to me, so I'll throw it out there for explanation and discussion. What was the intent behind the Boras camp not allowing a thorough examination of Maggs' knee prior to the arbitration offer deadline. Was it:

1) Hopes of rushing the White Sox into offering arbitration sight unseen, because the knee will NOT be ready to go, *or*

2) Denying the Sox the opportunity to offer arbitration, knowing that they wouldn't do so with the exam, in order to make Maggs "cheaper" to a new suitor, (costing no draft picks) because he WILL be ready to go.

Granted that these aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, and some conclusions depend on the state of that knee, but it's not clear to me whether the Boras camp really wanted arbitration or not. And do you think the Sox would have offered arbitration if they were convinced that the knee was sound?

SMO
:dunno:

Jabroni
12-13-2004, 01:51 AM
I think it's either that Maggs is just not healthy yet or that Borass is trying to stir up some "mystique" and interest in Maggs to jack up his free agent value. I still don't know what team is going to sign Maggs at this point without seeing a private workout and having him take a very detailed physical.

Flight #24
12-13-2004, 07:07 AM
There's still one thing about the Maggs fiasco that's not clear to me, so I'll throw it out there for explanation and discussion. What was the intent behind the Boras camp not allowing a thorough examination of Maggs' knee prior to the arbitration offer deadline. Was it:

1) Hopes of rushing the White Sox into offering arbitration sight unseen, because the knee will NOT be ready to go, *or*

2) Denying the Sox the opportunity to offer arbitration, knowing that they wouldn't do so with the exam, in order to make Maggs "cheaper" to a new suitor, (costing no draft picks) because he WILL be ready to go.

Granted that these aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, and some conclusions depend on the state of that knee, but it's not clear to me whether the Boras camp really wanted arbitration or not. And do you think the Sox would have offered arbitration if they were convinced that the knee was sound?

SMO
You're right on the money on both counts, IMO. Goal #1 was to fool the Sox into offering arb by figuring Maggs was healthy or close to it. Goals #2 was to try and improve his value in the now apparent incentive-laden, short deal by not making the team signing him forgo picks.

If the knee was sound, the Sox would have offered arb. If the knee was sound, they probably would have let the Sox examine him (along with anyone else) to keep his value higher.

Kilroy
12-13-2004, 08:40 AM
I think it was obvious that they hoped the Sox would offer arbitration. That's why they promised that Maggs would workout for teams at the winter meetings and look great doing it. They hoped that the Sox would figure that if he was promising to look great 3 days after they could no longer offer arbitration and planning to prove it, he must have been doing ok.

But, did you notice how quietly that workout was canceled? Barely a mention of it. And Maggs/Bor-ass claimed that they wanted to avoid a media frenzy. Hello? Isn't that exactly what you want? Maggs looking great for the whole world to see and photgraph and replay on sportscenter,right?

They aren't fooling anyone. Now they say they'll hold private workouts for serious suitors only. Translation: hoping knee heals more by the time someone actually considers making an offer.

gosox41
12-13-2004, 10:47 AM

SMO
I read here that after Magglio was done calling the Sox cheap he said he wished the Sox offered him arbitration. My guess is it's not because he cares about the Sox getting 2 draft picks.

Second, when healthy Magglio is a great player. Teams would sacrifice 2 picks for a healthy Magglio without thinking twice. In fact teams do it for a lot less.

Third, Boras cancelled Magglio's workout because he didn't want to create too much excitement. Why not? If I were him and had Magglio as my client and Magglio was 100% healthy right now, I'd create all the excitement I can to get the bidding going.

Bob