PDA

View Full Version : Divisional Series... Good or bad?

doublem23
10-15-2001, 01:45 AM
What are your thoughts on baseball's play-offs?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2001, 10:11 AM
Other....

Play a 126 game league championship season (an even schedule of 9 games vs. 14 league opponents). Each league would have 15 teams with NO divisions and NO inter-league games. (Alternatively, you could work out an even schedule with 14- or 16-team leagues, too). The best team from each league would meet in a best-of-7 World Series. The pennant races would be just like those held for seventy years. The regular season games would have true meaning again, too.

During the championship season, an MLB tournament would be held. Series would be played in ten-day periods in May, July, August, and early-September. Geographic divisions would be set up, 6 teams each. (The Midwest division would include Sox, Cubs, Brewers, Twinkies, Cards, and Royals). Teams would play 40 games (8 games vs. 5 opponents) exclusively inside their own division.

Five division winners plus one wild-card would advance to a round-robin tournament of 5 games held the first week in October (before the World Series). This could be held in a tourist destination someplace in Florida, California, or Arizona with advance ticket sales (and vacation packages) sold during September in the cities of the clubs participating. The top 4 teams would advance to a best-of-7 semi-finals and championship to win the "Bowie Kuhn* Commisioner's Cup". These rounds would be played in each team's home ballpark after the World Series is completed.

*your choice of whichever numbskull commissioner you want the championship cup named for.
:)

Thus, across the season, every team would play a minimum 166 games. To grease the gears, MLB should market and operate the tournament jointly with MLBPA, with both sides sharing the profit. That ought to eliminate any trouble created over playing the extra games. Everyone makes more money.

Don't laugh. This format works 100-times better than letting the pigs from Cleveland slop mud on the 116-win Mariners.

Foulke You
10-15-2001, 02:37 PM
I don't know PHG. I kind've like the current format. It lets enough teams in without taking away from the fact that it is special to be able to make the playoffs in MLB. Not like the NHL or NBA where half the friggin' league makes the playoffs. Originally I was against the change from 2 divisions to 3 with a wild card but look what would've happened if they didn't change it. The A's who won 106 games wouldn't have made the playoffs. Is it fair for a team with the 2nd best record in the game to not make the playoffs? If there ever was an argument for the current format, it's this year's A's team. I'd also have a hard time letting go of the American League and National League separation. I do agree that the current 162 game schedule is too long. Part of me wants MLB to shorten the regular season and allow a few more teams into the playoffs to make things more interesting and allow for a cinderella story or two but I think the current format of a sprinkle of interleague and 4 playoff teams from each league is the way to go. Just my opinion.

(How about "The Bambino Trophy" instead of a commissioner for your championship cup?)

doublem23
10-15-2001, 11:41 PM
Wow, PHG... You've really thought this out...

Not a bad idea, though.... Actually, its a very interesting proposal.

rmusacch
10-16-2001, 08:30 PM
I am confused by your format. You say there are no divisions and then the next paragraph you talk about division winners. Also, you say something about playing games after the World Series.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2001, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
I am confused by your format. You say there are no divisions and then the next paragraph you talk about division winners. Also, you say something about playing games after the World Series.

The 126 game regular season league standings would be kept separate from the 40-game divisional tournament. (This year the World Series would be the Mariners vs. the Diamondbacks, the two teams with the best record in the A.L. and N.L.). The regular season would be interrupted four times each season for playing tournament games, much like inter-league games are today.

The regular season would end September 30 with two league champions. Before they played the World Series would be the "AFLAC/DisneyWorld MLB Round Robin Tournament" held in Orlando (or some other tourist destination) involving the 5 division winners plus 1 wild card.

The World Series (with the two league champions) would be played best-of-7 after that, probably the second week in October.

Finally, the top four teams advancing from the round robin tournament would complete a best-of-7 semi-final and championship round. The season would end the first week of November. Thus each team has a chance to win two championships, the world championship and the "Bowie Kuhn* Commissioner's Cup".

*your choice of whichever numbskull commissioner you want the cup named for.

:)

And EVERYBODY makes more money--which is all either the owners or players care about anyway.

doublem23
10-16-2001, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
This year the World Series would be the Mariners vs. the Diamondbacks, the two teams with the best record in the A.L. and N.L.).

Sorry, PHG, but I am a perfectionist.... (that or anal retentive)

Astros, 93-69
Cards, 93-69
Dbacks, 92-70

2001 PHG World Series would be Seattle vs. Houston..

but overall, now that I think more and more about it, your format is actually quite tantalizing... It appeals to the purists by reinstating the "old-school" pennant races they way they were for some seventy odd years, yet still has the spice of the geographical rivalries (such as the Cubs/Sox)....

It would be interesting to try out and see how popular it would really be...

danman31
10-16-2001, 11:37 PM
PHG, I hate the idea of having that seperate championship. Why would teams give a damn if they are already eliminated from the WS?? It makes no sense. I understand it, but I don't like it at all. But as for the league champions format for the WS. I don't think is that bad. It's intriguing, but I don't think it would work. Less playoff races.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-17-2001, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by danman31
PHG, I hate the idea of having that seperate championship. Why would teams give a damn if they are already eliminated from the WS?? It makes no sense. I understand it, but I don't like it at all. But as for the league champions format for the WS. I don't think is that bad. It's intriguing, but I don't think it would work. Less playoff races.

It's just an idea for discussion. I hate the playoffs as they are now. Apparently I'm not alone, since the TV ratings keep falling every year.

The division races would have built-in interest because of the geographic fit. Imagine the Cubs and Sox playing in the same division. I think there would be plenty of interest in which team finished higher or (heaven forbid!) one of them gets to advance to the round-robin tournament in Orlando. Hell, that would be like a vacation for the fans of the hated enemy. Can't have that!

The other reason for having divisions is to keep up fan interest in the games. In the regular season, some teams are effectively eliminated by April 30. (Any team come to mind?). The division champions wouldn't be determined until sometime in early-September. There would be plenty of teams still in the hunt at least through August.

One last thought... suppose your team won the World Series this year. Next year a different team wins the World Series and the Commissioner's Cup. Obviously the team that wins the series and the cup will be remembered as the greater champion. That's a powerful incentive for even the best teams to try and win both championships. That's where the real glory is found.

Again, it's just an idea.