PDA

View Full Version : D-backs FA "Bonanza"

Ol' No. 2
12-12-2004, 11:24 PM
Arizona to sign Clayton
By Ed Price, Tribune
ANAHEIM, Calf. - The Diamondbacks’ free agent bonanza continued Saturday when they agreed to terms with shortstop Royce Clayton on a one-year contract believed to be worth $1.35 million. I guess bonanzas aren't what they used to be.

Rocklive99
12-12-2004, 11:32 PM
:rolling: :roflmao: :rolling:

JKryl
12-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Wow, Royce Clayton? Now I'm convinced that the Major Leagues have finally over extended themselves. Every day this guy plays above AAA is a day he should bow to Bud Selig and burn incense. The last 3 years, he hit .279, .228, and .251. And, that .279 was playing for the Rockies. I could even get a hit in Colorado!

santo=dorf
12-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Arizona is also after Shawn Estes and David Delluci and are on the verge of signing Craig Counsell.

I hope this pushes RJ out the door and onto the South Side of Chicago. :gulp:

NonetheLoaiza
12-13-2004, 12:19 AM
doesnt arizona have financial problems? how are they able to sign all these FAs?

Erik The Red
12-13-2004, 02:02 AM
They filed for bankruptcy, IIRC.

StillMissOzzie
12-13-2004, 02:28 AM
doesnt Arizona have financial problems? how are they able to sign all these FAs?
They scrounged up a bunch of new investors (30-40), each of whom ponied up about $3-4M each, giving them $120M in new working capital. I also read that they put the screws to the existing investor base for another $100M+ or so. This gave them a total of something like $220M to sink into the team. Some of this windfall was applied to their debt and/or deferred salary burden, but a big chunk was earmarked for new FA's.

It seems to me that the group of new investors is diluting the value of the existing investor base, but the D-Backs still had attendance of something like 2.5 million fans in their pathetic 111(?) loss season.

SMO
:gulp:

StillMissOzzie
12-13-2004, 03:10 AM
Wow, Royce Clayton? Now I'm convinced that the Major Leagues have finally over extended themselves. Every day this guy plays above AAA is a day he should bow to Bud Selig and burn incense. The last 3 years, he hit .279, .228, and .251. And, that .279 was playing for the Rockies. I could even get a hit in Colorado!
I'm not sure how the thin air in Denver helps out a mostly singles hitter. He hit 8 HR's last year (sorry, no home/away breakdown), but he averaged 8 HR's per year when he played here. OTOH, he did have a fabulous year for 2B hits at 36...

SMO
:gulp:

Ol' No. 2
12-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Arizona is also after Shawn Estes and David Delluci and are on the verge of signing Craig Counsell.

I hope this pushes RJ out the door and onto the South Side of Chicago. :gulp:I've been keeping one eye on some of the D-backs message boards to see if there's any news on RJ. They're thrilled to death to get Clayton. Must be the thin air.

santo=dorf
12-13-2004, 11:48 AM
I've been keeping one eye on some of the D-backs message boards to see if there's any news on RJ. They're thrilled to death to get Clayton. Must be the thin air.http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=33051

Johnson desires a trade, with a preferred destination of the New York Yankees. But Arizona will not deal Johnson unless the trade improves them immediately, believing he is worth a top-of-the-rotation pitcher, another major leaguer and prospects.

For example, when the Chicago White Sox offered outfielder Carlos Lee and right-hander Jon Garland, the Diamondbacks countered that right-hander Freddy Garcia or lefty Mark Buehrle would have to be part of the deal.
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Dumbasses.

idseer
12-13-2004, 12:16 PM
Wow, Royce Clayton? Now I'm convinced that the Major Leagues have finally over extended themselves. Every day this guy plays above AAA is a day he should bow to Bud Selig and burn incense. The last 3 years, he hit .279, .228, and .251. And, that .279 was playing for the Rockies. I could even get a hit in Colorado!here's a question ..... why would playing in colorado raise your avg if you aren't a home run hitter? is the open field more than 90 degrees there?

edit: oops. i see stillmissozzie beat me to it. :cool:

voodoochile
12-13-2004, 12:18 PM
here's a question ..... why would playing in colorado raise your avg if you aren't a home run hitter? is the open field more than 90 degrees there?
Gosh I hope not, it's 60 degrees everywhere else...

idseer
12-13-2004, 12:21 PM
Gosh I hope not, it's 60 degrees everywhere else...
:?: it's 60 degrees between the first base line and the 3rd base line?
or was that supposed to be a joke. i didn't get it.

voodoochile
12-13-2004, 12:22 PM
:?: it's 60 degrees between the first base line and the 3rd base line?
or was that supposed to be a joke. i didn't get it. The lines are direct extensions of the lines that form the point of home plate. It is not a 90 degree angle. I always understood it to be a 60 degree angle, but i could be wrong.

After all, it's called a diamond, not a square...:D:

idseer
12-13-2004, 12:25 PM
The lines are direct extensions of the lines that form the point of home plate. It is not a 90 degree angle. I always understood it to be a 60 degree angle, but i could be wrong.

After all, it's called a diamond, not a square...:D:
you lose this round voodoo. :smile:

voodoochile
12-13-2004, 12:30 PM
you lose this round voodoo. :smile:
You appear to be correct... Learn something new everyday... cool.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/baseball_basics/diagram2.gif

idseer
12-13-2004, 12:33 PM
You appear to be correct... Learn something new everyday... cool.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/baseball_basics/diagram2.gif
and you learned i CAN be correct sometimes? :D:

nice graphic btw.

voodoochile
12-13-2004, 12:40 PM
and you learned i CAN be correct sometimes? :D:

nice graphic btw.
Not mine, it's from the official MLB site.

I think you are often right. It's when you're dead wrong that I let you know it...:D:

samram
12-13-2004, 01:31 PM
here's a question ..... why would playing in colorado raise your avg if you aren't a home run hitter? is the open field more than 90 degrees there?

edit: oops. i see stillmissozzie beat me to it. :cool:
One thought on why a singles hitter's average could be higher is that the outfielders have to play deeper to keep normal flyballs from going over their heads, therefore, more line drives that would be caught by an outfielder playing at a normal depth may fall in for a hit, and some pop-ups that don't go very high may also fall in because the fielder can't come in fast enough. Not sure if there's empirical evidence of this, it's just a thought. Of course, for Royce it would have to be the latter since he doesn't hit line drives.

Huisj
12-13-2004, 03:30 PM
One thought on why a singles hitter's average could be higher is that the outfielders have to play deeper to keep normal flyballs from going over their heads, therefore, more line drives that would be caught by an outfielder playing at a normal depth may fall in for a hit, and some pop-ups that don't go very high may also fall in because the fielder can't come in fast enough. Not sure if there's empirical evidence of this, it's just a thought. Of course, for Royce it would have to be the latter since he doesn't hit line drives.
Breaking balls don't break as much, sinkers don't sink as much, cutters don't cut as much, etc. It's easier to hit balls that don't move.

TheBull19
12-14-2004, 02:06 AM
I've been keeping one eye on some of the D-backs message boards to see if there's any news on RJ. They're thrilled to death to get Clayton. Must be the thin air.
Really? Not what I've been reading. Here's some quotes-

"At least it's only a 1 year deal"
"If this is true I feel much better about the Clayton situation. I still don't want him but 1yr@1.35M is fine with me. If he sucks or has a bad attitude we can just release him and be done with him."
"However, since the deal is done, we'll have to live with it."
" I think Royce Clayton is the wrong free agent at the wrong time for the Diamondbacks."
"The Diamondbacks don't need Royce Clayton"
"After I read this, I was going to write that Clayton couldn't lead off and would be rally killer #2 of 3 in the lineup - only behind the pitcher and ahead of the catcher. Then I went to Rotoworld and read this:
The Diamondbacks are likely to announce the signing of Royce Clayton on Sunday or Monday.
Clayton will take over as Arizona's shortstop and act as the primary outmaker in the lineup.""

ewokpelts
12-14-2004, 04:34 PM
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=33051

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Dumbasses.now who's smoking the crack?
Gene