PDA

View Full Version : Danny Wright released

santo=dorf
12-12-2004, 09:35 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041212&content_id=921526&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Roster removal: With the recent moves that took the White Sox to 40 men on the roster, Williams informed Dan Wright that the team had to let him go. The right-handed pitcher currently is in the midst of a long rehabilitation process stemming from Tommy John surgery performed on his right elbow on June 1 by Dr. James Andrews.

Wright was the team's original fifth starter in 2004 and finished 0-4 with an 8.15 earned run average in four starts. He was sent back to Class AAA Charlotte on May 1 and was shut down after two starts.

Williams hopes a healthy Wright catches on with another team. "Once you put on our uniform, you are a part of the White Sox family," Williams said. "He and his wife, Robin, are great people, and I wish the best for them."

Palehose13
12-12-2004, 09:39 PM
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

voodoochile
12-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Not sad to upgrade the talent, but Wright never bitched or complained, he just never got over the top either.

There were times he showed amazing flashes, but his head was fragile and his arm gave out.

Sorry, Danny and good luck.

SomebodyToldMe
12-12-2004, 10:13 PM
and to think everyone thought nothing good would come from this offseason
Does Kevin Walker ring a bell?

No?

Oh, then forget what I typed.

WinningUgly!
12-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Not sad to upgrade the talent, but Wright never bitched or complained, he just never got over the top either.

There were times he showed amazing flashes, but his head was fragile and his arm gave out.

Thanks Voodoo. It was embarrassing to read through this thread, until I came to your post.

Jjav829
12-12-2004, 10:19 PM

Sorry, Danny and good luck.Well said. Wright wasn't a whiny little bitch like Garland. It's a shame he didn't work out. I think most of us expected more out of him, and it's a shame nothing ever materialized. I hope he makes it back to the majors. Some team will take a shot on him.

guillen4life13
12-12-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm kind of appalled at some of your reactions. He WASN'T a headcase. He never complained or deflected responsibility for his performances. He was honest, and from the looks of things, he tried his hardest also. He never got rich rich, and now he's out of a job. I have pity for this guy now, and I'm pretty disappointed in some of the callous displayed by those of you with posts rejoicing this move and insulting Dan.

I truly thought (and still think) that Danny would have made an excellent late-inning reliever. People have come back from TJ Surgery and had more velocity than they did pre-injury. Dan arguably had the best raw stuff (according to Hawk) in the Sox system, it's just he never seemed like he was in the right situation. Had he a pitching coach that fit him, and had he not had to deal with Nardi, I think he would have been excellent.

OEO Magglio
12-12-2004, 10:23 PM

Thank you voodoo, I completely agree. This was simply a baseball decision that had to be made, however danny was a good guy and I definitely wish him the best of luck.

Ol' No. 2
12-12-2004, 10:27 PM
I'm kind of appalled at some of your reactions. He WASN'T a headcase. He never complained or deflected responsibility for his performances. He was honest, and from the looks of things, he tried his hardest also. He never got rich rich, and now he's out of a job. I have pity for this guy now, and I'm pretty disappointed in some of the callous displayed by those of you with posts rejoicing this move and insulting Dan.

I truly thought (and still think) that Danny would have made an excellent late-inning reliever. People have come back from TJ Surgery and had more velocity than they did pre-injury. Dan arguably had the best raw stuff (according to Hawk) in the Sox system, it's just he never seemed like he was in the right situation. Had he a pitching coach that fit him, and had he not had to deal with Nardi, I think he would have been excellent.I always thought he was rushed up to the bigs too soon and he never really learned to pitch. If you ever watched Wright pitch from behind the Sox dugout, you could see he had an amazing diving fastball that was just about unhittable when he was on. Trouble is, IMO, he didn't have another good pitch to set it up. I always thought he should develop a cutter. It would look just like the diving fastball coming in, but break in a different direction.

And I also thought he might make a good closer if he just got the chance to learn to pitch. He came in with such intensity, it seemed like he just couldn't sustain it for 6-7 innings.

Good luck, Danny. Just not against us.

tadscout
12-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Thank you voodoo, I completely agree. This was simply a baseball decision that had to be made, however danny was a good guy and I definitely wish him the best of luck.
Agreed

Foulke You
12-12-2004, 10:36 PM
I always thought he was rushed up to the bigs too soon and he never really learned to pitch. If you ever watched Wright pitch from behind the Sox dugout, you could see he had an amazing diving fastball that was just about unhittable when he was on. Trouble is, IMO, he didn't have another good pitch to set it up. I always thought he should develop a cutter. It would look just like the diving fastball coming in, but break in a different direction.

And I also thought he might make a good closer if he just got the chance to learn to pitch. He came in with such intensity, it seemed like he just couldn't sustain it for 6-7 innings.

Good luck, Danny. Just not against us.
Lots of good points there No 2. I agree that when his fastball was on, especially before the injury, it was a very tough pitch to hit. His velocity used to be around the 93-94 mark which is great but also might be why he developed arm trouble.

I'd also add that Wright's two biggest problems were walks and "the big inning". They usually went hand in hand. Wright would cruise along for 3 or 4 innings and then suddenly walk the bases loaded and then give up a 3 run scoring double. He just never showed the consistency to be a solid starter. While I don't think he was ever closer material as some suggested due to his his lack of control, I always thought Wright could be a good Kirk McCaskill type long reliever. I don't have any ill will towards Danny and I hope he gets a job with another team. I'm just glad we won't have to watch him stink it up from that #5 spot for another year.:cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
12-12-2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks Voodoo. It was embarrassing to read through this thread, until I came to your post.
I agree. I think we'll have to fix this.

If you're here to express how much you planned to boo a Sox ballplayer, your rant is going to be sent to the ****house.

Bitch about the treatment? It will be your last.

soltrain21
12-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the service Danny. I will never forget that gem you pitched in Fenway Park.

I must admit, up until last year I felt a lot safer with him on the mound than I did with Jon Garland.

I hope you recover fully and can get back into the bigs!

Navaro's Talent
12-12-2004, 10:44 PM
I wish good luck to Danny that he can pitch in the majors again. He seems like a nice guy.

MRKARNO
12-12-2004, 10:44 PM
I'm really sorry it had to end this way for Danny. I never had a problem with him personality-wise. He never blamed anyone else for his problems. Wright definately was a very maddening pitcher, but it looked for a long time that he'd be able to finally turn it around. It never happened. Hopefully he can make a full recovery from TJ and be the pitcher he had the potential to be, obviously with another organization. Good luck on your recovery Danny!

gobears1987
12-12-2004, 10:54 PM
I wish Wright good luck in the future and hope he does well. It is good to see some players who try hard and don't bitch and complain every day about how they are being screwed when offered only $70 million.

SpartanSoxFan
12-12-2004, 11:04 PM
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

StillMissOzzie
12-12-2004, 11:12 PM
I'd also add that Wright's two biggest problems were walks and "the big inning". They usually went hand in hand.:cool:
:jon
"What are you looking at me for?"

Good luck wherever you end up, DW.

SMO
:gulp:

duke of dorwood
12-12-2004, 11:19 PM
I sat with his family the night of his first ML start. They are a quality bunch of people and I hope he beats this and becomes a great pitcher.

Brian26
12-12-2004, 11:30 PM
I'm kind of appalled at some of your reactions. He WASN'T a headcase.
That was my quote.

My feeling is that a guy who has AMAZING stuff and amazing talent but can't get the ball over the plate in critical situations- to me, that's a guy with a lack of focus, a mental block...a headcase. There were times when he would walk two or three guys in a row when he knew he couldn't.

I didn't mean for it to be a personal insult, and I guess it came off badly and people didn't appreciate it.

Wright looked amazing when he first came up in 2001. I remember a specific game against Seattle and thinking, "this guy could be the next Nolan Ryan."
I wish he would have succeeded here- he could have been a great closer.

But again- it was the mental block and the walks that killed him. That's where the "headcase" comment came from.

Brian26
12-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Was Koch an awful person? I seem to remember him getting roasted when he was let go. Koch never blamed anyone else- he ALWAYS took the heat and blamed himself.

So what's the difference between the two?

Jabroni
12-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Was Koch an awful person? I seem to remember him getting roasted when he was let go. Koch never blamed anyone else- he ALWAYS took the heat and blamed himself.

So what's the difference between the two?Good point.

Brian26
12-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Bitch about the treatment? It will be your last.
No bitching here.

Just wish Wright luck in the future.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-12-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm glad someone removed my stupid remarks that I posted earlier. I forgot about the way the organization treated Wright. They originally rushed him up to the major leagues. I remember him winning double digits back in 2002 and showed great flashes at the end of the season, giving me optimism for the 2003 season. Unfortunately, the dozen or so #5 starters in 2003 and 2004 were never able to reach the numbers of victories that Wright had in 2002. Once he got hurt in 2004 ST they never really gave him a chance to heal before bringing him back up to be a starter, and unfortunately he ended up having to go under the knife which set him back for quite a while. We could've really used those 14 wins and nearly 200 IP he had in 2002 again in the #5 spot..

Sox Mobile
12-12-2004, 11:36 PM
[QUOTE=soltrain21]Thanks for the service Danny. I will never forget that gem you pitched in Fenway Park.

/QUOTE]

Does my memory fail me? I remember a beauty Garland pitched at Fenway in 2001, but can recall Danny doing it.

I never could get in a frenzy when Danny had his signature bad inning. You knew it was coming, and you could tell he felt horrible when it did.

I like the guy, wish him all the best, and hope he leaves with good feelings about Sox fans

Brian26
12-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Good point.
Honestly, someone else brings up a good point...too bad Garland couldn't have an attitude more like Wright's....never blaming his teammates or the fans. Wright was a class act in that sense.

beckett21
12-12-2004, 11:44 PM

So what's the difference between the two?
Koch made the big bucks and was brought in specifically to do a job and failed miserably. Nothing personal against the guy, but he sucked at a job he was making very good money to do. The expectations were different. He had a history of success, at least to a degree. Wright did not.

Wright played hurt and never complained or blamed anyone or anything but himself. When he was getting bombarded on the field and off, he made no excuses. Only he himself knows how much pain he was in. Danny got a raw deal by many here who could learn a thing or two about class in the way he conducted himself while wearing the White Sox uniform.

Good luck Danny. Some of us here get it.

Lip Man 1
12-12-2004, 11:44 PM
I agree with No. 2. Wright as most of the Sox 'can't miss kids,' are rushed to the majors with no real knowledge of what it takes to pitch and WIN in the big leagues.

Trying to figure out how to pitch to Guerrero, Rodriguez and Ramirez with a game on the line is no place for these guys. You learn how to do things like this after three or four minor league seasons.

Lip

Brian26
12-12-2004, 11:47 PM
I agree with No. 2. Wright as most of the Sox 'can't miss kids,' are rushed to the majors with no real knowledge of what it takes to pitch and WIN in the big leagues.

Trying to figure out how to pitch to Guerrero, Rodriguez and Ramirez with a game on the line is no place for these guys. You learn how to do things like this after three or four minor league seasons.

Lip
Is Larry Monroe still with the organization in any capacity, and has he ever taken any heat for the complete nonsense with all of these injuries? Last time I saw him was at Soxfest either last year or in 2003, and he was trying to sell a book that, ironically, was about how to not get hurt while pitching.

JKryl
12-13-2004, 12:04 AM
If he had been sent down to the minors, what's this crap about filling the roster? Why couldn't he rehab in AAA? As I understand it, TJ surgery replaces the arm tendon or ligament with a larger unused one from the leg. Therefore the arm should be better than new once rehab is over. Maybe he was pitching like crap because he had a physical problem. Remember (I forget his name:redface: ) with the Cubs who was cut during rehab, and continued to pitch for another 10 years, killing the Scrubs every time he pitched against them? (Rick Reushal??)

White Sox baseball, every day is an adventure.

soltrain21
12-13-2004, 12:07 AM
[QUOTE=soltrain21]Thanks for the service Danny. I will never forget that gem you pitched in Fenway Park.

/QUOTE]

Does my memory fail me? I remember a beauty Garland pitched at Fenway in 2001, but can recall Danny doing it.

I never could get in a frenzy when Danny had his signature bad inning. You knew it was coming, and you could tell he felt horrible when it did.

I like the guy, wish him all the best, and hope he leaves with good feelings about Sox fans

I could of swore they pitched them back to back?

Mohoney
12-13-2004, 12:12 AM
Why exactly did he need to be released?

If somebody is hurt, can't you take them off the 40 man and not lose them?

This guy isn't going to throw a single pitch in the majors next year. It doesn't seem fair that he can't rehab with us.

mike squires
12-13-2004, 01:04 AM
Danny will pitch for the Red Sox in the 2005 World Series after winning 15 games with them. Seems like a lot of those former Sox guys go out and prove themselves with anoher team (Embry) Then again we have a lot that don't (Ruffcon)!!!

Sox Mobile
12-13-2004, 01:13 AM
Danny will pitch for the Red Sox in the 2005 World Series after winning 15 games with them. Seems like a lot of those former Sox guys go out and prove themselves with anoher team (Embry) Then again we have a lot that don't (Ruffcon)!!!
Yea, I ran my big mouth to a Red Sox fan at the start of the season about how Embry was gonna make him cry on a regular basis.

But nooooooooo, he got the job done all year for them.

Eating Crow.......not fun.

mike squires
12-13-2004, 01:29 AM
Oh wait...a few more come to mind...Navarro, Sirotka, Baldwin, Parque, Koch of recent memory Maybe it's good we let him go. :)

I can only think of two that improved rightoff hand...(Wells and Embry)

starboy0
12-13-2004, 07:38 AM
I wish Danny well. I was struck by something last year at Opening Day. Before the game I was hanging around by the Sox dugout watching all the players talk with the media full of smiles and backslaps. Except Danny Wright. He looked really sad and downcast.

Fungo
12-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Best of luck to Danny. One of my favorites for his heart alone. All the guy did was battle and bust his butt for the White Sox.

wilburaga
12-13-2004, 10:08 AM
First Ryan Wing is lost via waivers and now Danny Wright is released. Is there a vast Wright-Wing conspiracy afoot?

W

SSN721
12-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Good luck Danny, get back to the bigs soon. Hope you succeed as long as it doesnt conflict with the Sox success, always a good guy and class act. Wish you well.

PaulDrake
12-13-2004, 11:15 AM
First Ryan Wing is lost via waivers and now Danny Wright is released. Is there a vast Wright-Wing conspiracy afoot?

W Maybe I'm easy, but I just picked myself off the floor. More please wilbur, at the moment we need it here.

JKryl
12-13-2004, 02:30 PM

W
Pretty good. Keep it up.

LongLiveFisk
12-13-2004, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=ChiWhiteSox1337]I'm glad someone removed my stupid remarks that I posted earlier.[QUOTE]

Same here. What I said wasn't the worst thing you could read by far but it wasn't too nice either.

Sorry, guys :redface:
I'll be nicer next time.

Jerko
12-13-2004, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=ChiWhiteSox1337]I'm glad someone removed my stupid remarks that I posted earlier.[QUOTE]

Same here. What I said wasn't the worst thing you could read by far but it wasn't too nice either.

Sorry, guys :redface:
I'll be nicer next time.
That's it, you 2 are on a time out. I admit; I used to cringe when I had tickets for the game and he was the starter, but he did go out there (probably when he shouldn't have, i.e., he was hurt) just to help the team. The result was less than desireable but at least he tried.

guillen4life13
12-13-2004, 09:30 PM
I was at his first ML start (against KC, IIRC, 2001). The highlight of the night was Canseco hitting two homers after promising them to the cancer patient children.

guillen4life13
12-13-2004, 09:31 PM
I was at his first ML start (against KC, IIRC, 2001). The highlight of the night was Canseco hitting two homers after promising them to the cancer patient children.

To the headcase comment: I understand what you mean now, but in my opinion, that doesn't define a headcase. Mental toughness, maybe, but not a headcase.