PDA

View Full Version : Strength up the middle!

NotSoBlackSox1
12-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Now that the BoSox have decided to go with Renteria, KW should make an agressive attempt to get Cabbrera. Cabbrera is a guy that should come about the price of a NOMA but over a longer period and he has a world series ring. He also has everything that we needed last season (ie. solid defense, speed, and small ball). If we can not get a good double-play combo than we might as well start looking toward 2006, especially with our ground ball pitchers!

OEO Magglio
12-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Now that the BoSox have decided to go with Renteria, KW should make an agressive attempt to get Cabbrera. Cabbrera is a guy that should come about the price of a NOMA but over a longer period and he has a world series ring. He also has everything that we needed last season (ie. solid defense, speed, and small ball). If we can not get a good double-play combo than we might as well start looking toward 2006, especially with our ground ball pitchers!
Cabrera is just an overpaid and worse version of Juan Uribe. No thanks.

nitetrain8601
12-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Yeah, if you do look at the numbers Cabrera and Uribe are exactly alike except Cabrera will make more. Only difference IMO is that Cabrera has a better glove, but Uribe has better range.

Brian26
12-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Cabrera is just an overpaid and worse version of Juan Uribe. No thanks.
I was thinking more along the lines of an overpaid, overhyped version of Royce Clayton. This guy swings from the heels everytime he's up to the plate. I'll take a pass. No way do we need him on this team.

wassagstdu
12-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Yeah, if you do look at the numbers Cabrera and Uribe are exactly alike except Cabrera will make more. Only difference IMO is that Cabrera has a better glove, but Uribe has better range."The numbers" are nowhere less relevant than at ss (maybe c), in my opinion. Just curious: HOW can you say Cabrera has less range than Uribe. I watched Cabrera make what I call the "Aparicio Play" -- deep in the hole, backhand, jump and turn and throw (with something on the ball) in the air -- last fall, more than once I think. Who can do more?

Cabrera would make this team interesting.

OEO Magglio
12-12-2004, 12:37 PM
"The numbers" are nowhere less relevant than at ss (maybe c), in my opinion. Just curious: HOW can you say Cabrera has less range than Uribe. I watched Cabrera make what I call the "Aparicio Play" -- deep in the hole, backhand, jump and turn and throw (with something on the ball) in the air -- last fall, more than once I think. Who can do more?

Cabrera would make this team interesting.
Uribe does have more range then Cabrera and he's also a better hitter, cabrera is very overrated. I'll take my chances with Juan.

Tragg
12-12-2004, 12:45 PM
It would be nice to improve up the middle though; I thought the idea was to improve the D, get starting pitching, and find a lead-off hitter

Instead, we sign Dye

Oh well

wassagstdu
12-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Uribe does have more range then Cabrera and he's also a better hitter, cabrera is very overrated. I'll take my chances with Juan.No, seriously, how do you judge range? James' "range factor" is bologna (too dependent on the pitchers). I think the only way you can judge this is to watch a shortstop for a long time. Of course you can immediately spot the low end, like Cal Ripken, but how can you say that Uribe has more -- or less -- range than Cabrera? The only thing you can judge is whether he can make the plays. Whether he does is another question. I think Cabrera can, I don't know about Uribe because I saw so few Sox games last year (since Michael Jordan retired and our cable system dropped WGN). There are intangibles that I trust Ozzie to judge better than I.

nitetrain8601
12-12-2004, 01:16 PM
No, seriously, how do you judge range? James' "range factor" is bologna (too dependent on the pitchers). I think the only way you can judge this is to watch a shortstop for a long time. Of course you can immediately spot the low end, like Cal Ripken, but how can you say that Uribe has more -- or less -- range than Cabrera? The only thing you can judge is whether he can make the plays. Whether he does is another question. I think Cabrera can, I don't know about Uribe because I saw so few Sox games last year (since Michael Jordan retired and our cable system dropped WGN). There are intangibles that I trust Ozzie to judge better than I.
You ever wonder why a team never moves Cabrera to play 3B once in a while? Because he doesn't have that strong of an arm. Uribe could make plays from left field if he wanted to.

Jerome
12-12-2004, 01:46 PM

Where's that tag with the guy throwing up when you need it?

:?: :(: :angry: :whiner: :rolleyes: :mad: :o:

Yeah, our terrible defense was the reason why we didn't win the central last year.

We already have him on our team. His name is Juan Uribe.

RDubbs1906
12-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Uribe is money. He'll be fine at ss. I think if the sox are going to improve the middle infield, they need to concentrate on 2nd. I would love to see them sign Polanco. I could see the sox make a push for little cora on the dodgers reuniting him with joey. Now that they signed kent, cora might be available (my own speculation). Another name I have thought about is Orlando Hudson, since Toronto is interested. I am not sure how much of an improvement he would be but package him with some pitching and I might be interested.

MisterB
12-12-2004, 02:02 PM
You ever wonder why a team never moves Cabrera to play 3B once in a while? Because he doesn't have that strong of an arm.
Umm...or maybe it's because he's too valuable defensively to not play him at shortstop? :rolleyes:

TDog
12-12-2004, 06:44 PM
...the "Aparicio Play" -- deep in the hole, backhand, jump and turn and throw (with something on the ball) in the air ....
That takes me back. When I was a kid, I that was the play that defined the position of shortstop. I use to see it a lot when the Sox had Aparicio. I can't remember now when I saw it last.

soxnut
12-12-2004, 11:55 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of an overpaid, overhyped version of Royce Clayton. This guy swings from the heels everytime he's up to the plate. I'll take a pass. No way do we need him on this team.
Over the past season, I've heard Cabrera's name mentioned quite often. Then ,I finally saw him play this post season, and I was not impressed. I agree with you on his approach at the plate, it's awful, and we don't need him.

SoxFan78
12-14-2004, 11:19 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of an overpaid, overhyped version of Royce Clayton. This guy swings from the heels everytime he's up to the plate. I'll take a pass. No way do we need him on this team.Have you seen how Uribe hits?? He almost hits from one knee when he takes a swing!! Uribe had a great first half, but second half he was slumping.

fledgedrallycap
12-14-2004, 11:20 AM
How much will Polanco demand in today's market?