PDA

View Full Version : Pavano picks Yanks

SomebodyToldMe
12-11-2004, 07:24 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-yankees-pavano&prov=ap&type=lgns

Carl Pavano decided Saturday he wanted to pitch for the Yankees, and his agent and New York closed in on a four-year contract worth about $39 million.

DickAllen72
12-12-2004, 12:15 AM
The Yankees acquiring both Pavano and Wright may make them willing to fill their 1b hole (assuming Giambi is not in their plans) by trading us Vasquez and some cash for Paulie.

Or, now that they've added two pitchers, they may no longer be interested in RJ. If RJ knows the Yankees are no longer a possibility for him, he may decide the White Sox aren't such a bad team to play for after all.

Jabroni
12-12-2004, 01:14 AM
The Yankees acquiring both Pavano and Wright may make them willing to fill their 1b hole (assuming Giambi is not in their plans) by trading us Vasquez and some cash for Paulie.

Or, now that they've added two pitchers, they may no longer be interested in RJ. If RJ knows the Yankees are no longer a possibility for him, he may decide the White Sox aren't such a bad team to play for after all.Agreed. The Yankees will now have the following starting pitchers...

Mike Mussina
Kevin Brown
Javier Vazquez
Carl Pavano
Orlando Hernandez (will most likely be re-signed)
Jaret Wright

So they will have 6 starters. I think the Konerko for Vazquez trade is a good possibility. The Yankees still need a first baseman.

Unregistered
12-12-2004, 01:44 AM
Agreed. The Yankees will now have the following starting pitchers...

Mike Mussina
Kevin Brown
Javier Vazquez
Carl Pavano
Orlando Hernandez (will most likely be re-signed)
Jaret Wright

So they will have 6 starters. I think the Konerko for Vazquez trade is a good possibility. The Yankees still need a first baseman. From the Cubune:

The Sox covet Vazquez, who struggled in the second half of the season and was not in the postseason rotation. It's believed the Sox will offer Paul Konerko in a deal only if Johnson ends up on the South Side. If they are a third party with Johnson landing in the Bronx, Carlos Lee could be the Sox's contribution with Vazquez coming to Chicago
So looks like we're only getting rid of PK is we get Randy Johnson in return. Well, at least according to the Trib...

Jabroni
12-12-2004, 01:50 AM
From the Cubune:

So looks like we're only getting rid of PK is we get Randy Johnson in return. Well, at least according to the Trib...Hmmm, I'd rather trade Konerko than Lee in any case, whether it be for RJ or Vazquez, but I guess that makes more sense. If we trade Lee to net us Vazquez, we can still have the following lineup...

2B Willie Harris
CF Aaron Rowand
1B Paul Konerko
RF Jermaine Dye
LF Carl Everett
DH Ross Gload (until Frank is healthy)
SS Juan Uribe
3B Joe Crede
C Ben Davis

Gload could even play some 1B with Konerko DH'ing. The thought of Everett in LF is kind of scary but some people weren't too high on Lee's defense there anyways, although he has gotten alot better recently.