PDA

View Full Version : Tony La Russa - ***?

cheeses_h_rice
10-14-2001, 09:20 PM
The Cards are down 1-0 in the 7th inning. 2 outs, tying run on 1st base, and he leaves in the pitcher (Matt Morris) to bat. And, gee, whaddya know, he strikes out.

What a stupid move. Is the Cards bullpen that awful that it made sense leaving Morris in to bat?

Mind you, this is the deciding game tonight. If the Cards don't score at least 1 more run, their season is over with.

Daver
10-14-2001, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
The Cards are down 1-0 in the 7th inning. 2 outs, tying run on 1st base, and he leaves in the pitcher (Matt Morris) to bat. And, gee, whaddya know, he strikes out.

What a stupid move. Is the Cards bullpen that awful that it made sense leaving Morris in to bat?

Mind you, this is the deciding game tonight. If the Cards don't score at least 1 more run, their season is over with.

Their bullpen is not quite good.

danman31
10-14-2001, 09:40 PM
And they just got that 1 run. This is a great way to end 1's season. Let it go down to the wire.

ma-gaga
10-15-2001, 12:54 AM

Morris 8 IP 1 ER
Bullpen 2/3 IP 1 ER.

:)

doublem23
10-15-2001, 01:01 AM

Granted, I didn't get home from work until the very end of the game (I turned it on as Matt Williams laced that double into right), but if he left Morris in the 7th, why did he pull him before the ninth??? That is where the stupdity lies, IMO... Unless Morris had a bad 8th that I missed. But letting Morris bat, trailing 1-0, when you damn well know he probably only has 1 inning left in him in the deciding game of a play-off series...

:jerry
Hey, I would have done the same thing.

FarWestChicago
10-15-2001, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

Morris 8 IP 1 ER
Bullpen 2/3 IP 1 ER.

:) LMAO!!

Nellie_Fox
10-15-2001, 10:37 AM

Morris 8 IP 1 ER
Bullpen 2/3 IP 1 ER.

:)

You judge whether a move was good or bad before you know the outcome. Even if Morris had gotten a base hit, it was still a bad move to not hit for him because the odds were terrible. You had to score somehow, or it wouldn't matter.

Bmr31
10-15-2001, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

You judge whether a move was good or bad before you know the outcome. Even if Morris had gotten a base hit, it was still a bad move to not hit for him because the odds were terrible. You had to score somehow, or it wouldn't matter.

Tony larussa is an outstanding manager. The runner was on 1st base with 2 outs. pinch hitter or not, chances are, that runner wouldnt have scored. I agree with the decision to leave his ace in, in a 1 run game.

Iwritecode
10-15-2001, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
but if he left Morris in the 7th, why did he pull him before the ninth??? That is where the stupdity lies, IMO... Unless Morris had a bad 8th that I missed. But letting Morris bat, trailing 1-0, when you damn well know he probably only has 1 inning left in him in the deciding game of a play-off series...

He pulled him because his pitch-count was 140. He let him bat in the 7th because they still needed him in the 8th. Heck, they needed him in the ninth too...

ma-gaga
10-15-2001, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Unless Morris had a bad 8th that I missed

I think he struggled through the 8th, but he kept the D'back's off the board. Morris is an awesome pitcher, his team just came up short against Schilling.

The fox color guy, Tim McCarver was terrible; it was great. He blasted La Russa for several decisions including leaving Morris in. BUT my favorite fox moment of the night, was when he said something like, 'Womack has experienced the complete circle of emotions in this bat. He went from the nadir, to the ...[extremely long pause, searching for the right word]... high point.'

:) anyone else hear this?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2001, 01:08 PM
...BUT my favorite fox moment of the night, was when he said something like, 'Womack has experienced the complete circle of emotions in this bat. He went from the nadir, to the ...[extremely long pause, searching for the right word]... high point.'

:) anyone else hear this?

I did, and I was laughing out loud, too!

Hell, Fox should hire Joe Carter if on-air malaprops are okay.

Nellie_Fox
10-15-2001, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

Tony larussa is an outstanding manager. The runner was on 1st base with 2 outs. pinch hitter or not, chances are, that runner wouldnt have scored. I agree with the decision to leave his ace in, in a 1 run game.

There were runners on first and second if I'm not mistaken.

And I am mistaken. I just checked the game log and there was only a runner on first. Nonetheless, I still don't like the move. I agree that LaRussa is an outstanding manager, but no one is right every time.

FarWestChicago
10-15-2001, 01:33 PM

And I am mistaken. I just checked the game log and there was only a runner on first.Hey, at least you checked your facts. :)

duke of dorwood
10-15-2001, 02:26 PM
Didn't I hear Joe Buck call Womack's wife his mother Too? Fox baseball-Find it, you'll like it.

Jerry_Manuel
10-15-2001, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Didn't I hear Joe Buck call Womack's wife his mother Too? Fox baseball-Find it, you'll like it.

Yeah Womack was hugging a woman as Buck and McCarver interviewed him. Buck asks him "Was that your mother?" and it was Womack's wife.

Bmr31
10-15-2001, 10:22 PM

And I am mistaken. I just checked the game log and there was only a runner on first. Nonetheless, I still don't like the move. I agree that LaRussa is an outstanding manager, but no one is right every time.

Our opinions differ. No big deal.

Jerry_Manuel
10-15-2001, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Our opinions differ. No big deal.

wow, it's a calm and collective BMR.