PDA

View Full Version : How to fix that stupid league, Major League Baseball

FarWestChicago
12-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Put us in charge of the NHL, Realist. We'll fix that stupid league.
:thumbsup:Can you do something about baseball while you're at it? http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

PaleHoseGeorge
12-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Can you do something about baseball while you're at it? http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif Gee, glad you asked.

(You didn't think I could pass up taking a home run swing at this fat pitch you tossed me, did you?)
:wink:

Having already fixed that stupid league, the NHL, I shall now fix that stupid league, MLB, too.
:thumbsup:

1.) Eliminate all divisions and wild-card spots. Set up two 16-team leagues, AL and NL.

2.) Shorten the regular season to 90 games, each team playing IDENTICAL SCHEDULES against their 15 league opponents 6 times (3 home, 3 away). Play these games in April, May, and August through Labor Day.

3.) Spend June, July, and September playing a separate schedule inside 8 regionally-based inter-league divisions (4 teams each) playing 72 games (24 games per opponent) to eliminate the bottom-two finishers. That leaves 16 teams for the playoffs in October.

4.) Hold a traditional 7-game World Series the 1st week of October between the AL and NL champion (the two best teams across 90 games). Crown the winner world champion.

5.) After the World Series, hold a 1-game playoff between each of the 8 division winners and their respective runner-up (first-place team's home park). Conduct these one 1-game playoffs across 4 nights. Crown each winner division champion.

6.) Take the eight division champions and hold a round-robin tournament, 7 games per team, in one or two separate host cities (someplace warm) on east and west coast. Use tie breaker gimmicks (like best run differential) to decide the two teams of finalists.

7.) Hold a one-game tournament championship someplace warm the Sunday night before Halloween, baseball's Super Bowl... one giant party for the media to build up days and days in advance. Crown the winner with the Commissioner's Cup trophy.

8.) Let the traditionalists and new-age fans fight and fight all winter over which team was the best and true champion, the World Series champion or the Commissioner's Cup champioin. Truly great teams win both competitions and distinguish themselves from all the lesser champions who didn't. Everyone is happy.

Problem solved.
:cool:

bartmanisgod
12-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Gee, glad you asked.

(You didn't think I could pass up taking a home run swing at this fat pitch you tossed me, did you?)

Having already fixed that stupid league, the NHL, I shall now fix that stupid league, MLB, too.

1.) Eliminate all divisions and wild-card spots. Set up two 16-team leagues, AL and NL.

2.) Shorten the regular season to 90 games, each team playing IDENTICAL SCHEDULES against their 15 league opponents 6 times (3 home, 3 away). Play these games in April, May, and August through Labor Day.

3.) Spend June, July, and September playing a separate schedule inside 8 regionally-based inter-league divisions (4 teams each) playing 72 games (24 games per opponent) to eliminate the bottom-two finishers. That leaves 16 teams for the playoffs in October.

4.) Hold a traditional 7-game World Series the 1st week of October between the AL and NL champion (the two best teams across 90 games). Crown the winner world champion.

5.) After the World Series, hold a 1-game playoff between each of the 8 division winners and their respective runner-up (first-place team's home park). Conduct these one 1-game playoffs across 4 nights. Crown each winner division champion.

6.) Take the eight division champions and hold a round-robin tournament, 7 games per team, in one or two separate host cities (someplace warm) on east and west coast. Use tie breaker gimmicks (like best run differential) to decide the two teams of finalists.

7.) Hold a one-game tournament championship someplace warm the Sunday night before Halloween, baseball's Super Bowl... one giant party for the media to build up days and days in advance. Crown the winner with the Commissioner's Cup trophy.

8.) Let the traditionalists and new-age fans fight and fight all winter over which team was the best and true champion, the World Series champion or the Commissioner's Cup champioin. Truly great teams win both competitions and distinguish themselves from all the lesser champions who didn't. Everyone is happy.

Problem solved.

I hope for some of this you were being sarcastic because these are easliy some of the worst suggestions imaginable. If you are serious... well then I pray that you don't replace Selig.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-11-2004, 03:17 PM
I hope for some of this you were being sarcastic because these are easliy some of the worst suggestions imaginable. If you are serious... well then I pray that you don't replace Selig.
Yes, because I'm sure you're filled with soooooo many better ideas for fixing that stupid league, MLB.

That's sarcasm.

bartmanisgod
12-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Yes, because I'm sure you're filled with soooooo many better ideas for fixing that stupid league, MLB.

That's sarcasm.

Well in that case.. we already have the worst playoff system imaginable... its called the BCS.... why would we want to recreate the worst playoff system imaginable that would inevitably leave us with 2 champions... also all your suggestions would take away pretty much any tradition the sport had left... how would u like to win the world series and then still end up a loser.... also fighting all season to make the playoffs and then get a 1 game playoff??? I feel bad for the teams that make it now and lose in the first round, because it is best of 5 and they barely get to taste the post season because it is over so fast. You are entitled to your opinion, but I just think it is better the way it is now then the suggestions you offer here.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Well in that case.. we already have the worst playoff system imaginable... its called the BCS.... why would we want to recreate the worst playoff system imaginable that would inevitably leave us with 2 champions... also all your suggestions would take away pretty much any tradition the sport had left... how would u like to win the world series and then still end up a loser.... also fighting all season to make the playoffs and then get a 1 game playoff??? I feel bad for the teams that make it now and lose in the first round, because it is best of 5 and they barely get to taste the post season because it is over so fast. You are entitled to your opinion, but I just think it is better the way it is now then the suggestions you offer here.
Gee, I'm completely deflated. Imagine my personal disappointment to have my idea compared to the BCS system... especially from someone like you! You've offered sooooo many wonderful ideas for fixing that stupid league, MLB.

What was that line Grandpa Simpson always used to say? Oh yeah, "Bitch! Bitch! Bitch!"

:redneck

FarWestChicago
12-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Gee, glad you asked.

:wink:I knew exactly what I was doing. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

fquaye149
12-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Gee, glad you asked.

Problem solved.
i love your first three...but the rest sounds a little bcs to me....

The controversy! The controversy!

PaleHoseGeorge
12-11-2004, 04:12 PM
i love your first three...but the rest sounds a little bcs to me....

The controversy! The controversy!
Psst... it's not BCS. It's soccer. But don't tell anyone or the knuckle dragging neanderthals around here will completely wig out.

Let's just keep this our secret, okay?

minastirith67
12-11-2004, 04:22 PM
Would the Cup competition involve all teams in the 'baseball league' to participate, a la the FA Cup? So you could in theory see the Joliet Jackhammers vs. New York Mets?

Those are some very radical changes, but all in all, not bad ideas. Of course I am one of the few Americans who has seen this work in England. Adapting their traditions to ours just might work, but of course as we all know is just a pipe dream.

Also, I don't argue about who was the better football club last season, Arsenal or Man United. Whereas United won the coveted FA Cup, Arse still won the Premiership, and ultimately that's what counts and makes them true champions. As for this season, I think we have to worry about Chelski more than anything.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-11-2004, 04:30 PM
Would the Cup competition involve all teams in the 'baseball league' to participate, a la the FA Cup? So you could in theory see the Joliet Jackhammers vs. New York Mets?

Those are some very radical changes, but all in all, not bad ideas. Of course I am one of the few Americans who has seen this work in England. Adapting their traditions to ours just might work, but of course as we all know is just a pipe dream.

Also, I don't argue about who was the better football club last season, Arsenal or Man United. Whereas United won the coveted FA Cup, Arse still won the Premiership, and ultimately that's what counts and makes them true champions. As for this season, I think we have to worry about Chelski more than anything.
MINA! Ix-nay the occer-say! You'll have every rockheaded neanderthal on the board crashing down on us any minute!

On the completely separate subject of soccer, the premiership champion is still regarded as the true champion by most fans. However the FA Cup tournament adds a lot of spice to the season and most fans find the outcome worth viewing because of all the intriguing matchups.

And no, I would limit the tournament to just the 32 teams of MLB. It's a practical consideration to the powers that be.

:reinsy
"Look, my Sox didn't lose to Joliet as much as Joliet had an unfair advantage... what with their low payroll and great fan support and all."

Chrisaway
12-11-2004, 04:52 PM
:reinsy
"Look, my Sox did lose to Joliet as much as Joliet had an unfair advantage... what with their low payroll and great fan support and all."
Look I've seen the Jackhammers play and me E league softball team could give them a run for their money.:redneck

Jerome
12-11-2004, 05:12 PM
Gee, glad you asked.

Problem solved.

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

I agree with your idea to shorten the season, but we need more playoffs in baseball, not less. In your system the Yankees would probably win every single year. The great thing about the playoffs is that once you get there, you can throw the records out. Any team can catch lightning in a bottle and win the whole thing.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-11-2004, 05:16 PM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

I agree with your idea to shorten the season, but we need more playoffs in baseball, not less. In your system the Yankees would probably win every single year. The great thing about the playoffs is that once you get there, you can throw the records out. Any team can catch lightning in a bottle and win the whole thing. Jerome, let me introduce you to the Commissioner's Cup tournament. There are at least 3 different "choke" points where practically any team can catch lightning in a bottle and achieve something truly unique and special... probably at direct expense to a team like the Yankees.

Talent won't matter half as much as luck in the tournament... not unlike your typical 16-game NFL season.

Whoops... there I go stirring up another hornet's nest.

ilsox7
12-11-2004, 05:22 PM
MINA! Ix-nay the occer-say! You'll have every rockheaded neanderthal on the board crashing down on us any minute!

Just refer to it as its proper name (football) and no one will say a word. :D: