PDA

View Full Version : Sox whipping Everett into shape...

Jabroni
12-11-2004, 05:10 AM
"Notes: Sox to check on Everett
Director of conditioning to view outfielder's progress"
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041211&content_id=920701&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

hose
12-11-2004, 06:14 AM
http://www.jacklalanne.com/newani.gif"It's go time Carl"
http://jacklalanne.com/fingertip2.jpghttp://www.jacklalanne.com/jckbups.gif

Mohoney
12-11-2004, 07:00 AM
Heres the big question: can Dye and Everett combine for 180-200 RBI in the 5 and 6 spots in the order?

I think they can, and if they do, we're in business, if we get the pitching help.

34 Inch Stick
12-11-2004, 12:09 PM
I think 150-160 is more realistic.

munchman33
12-11-2004, 01:40 PM
I think 150-160 is more realistic.If they both stay healthy (in shape in Carl's case), that would be the starting point. I think 180 sounds more realistic.

Not to mention the fact that these guys will probably end up lower in the order, adding less pressure. Once Frank gets back, he, Paulie, and CLee will end up 3,4,5, and will be the focus of the lineup. Of course, that's only if Kenny doesn't make any more trades.

Dolanski
12-11-2004, 01:49 PM
If they both stay healthy (in shape in Carl's case), that would be the starting point. I think 180 sounds more realistic.

Not to mention the fact that these guys will probably end up lower in the order, adding less pressure. Once Frank gets back, he, Paulie, and CLee will end up 3,4,5, and will be the focus of the lineup. Of course, that's only if Kenny doesn't make any more trades.
With these two, that's a big IF. Carl wasn't healthy last year, Dye has been plagued by injury for the past two years. I have more faith in Dye as he has had a long road to recovery with that broken leg. Carl, I think he is basically washed up. I don't like having him on this team.

munchman33
12-11-2004, 01:56 PM
With these two, that's a big IF. Carl wasn't healthy last year, Dye has been plagued by injury for the past two years. I have more faith in Dye as he has had a long road to recovery with that broken leg. Carl, I think he is basically washed up. I don't like having him on this team.
Wow, that's pessimistic. Washed up? He was an All-Star two years ago. Last year, he got hurt for most of the first half. When he got healthy, he wasn't yet in playing shape. I think he'll be fine next year.

ja1022
12-11-2004, 02:04 PM
I've never liked hearing that a player has to be "whipped into shape" and monitored closely. I'd prefer players that have enough pride and desire that they just naturally want to be in their best playing shape.

JoseCanseco6969
12-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Wow, that's pessimistic. Washed up? He was an All-Star two years ago. Last year, he got hurt for most of the first half. When he got healthy, he wasn't yet in playing shape. I think he'll be fine next year.
I agree completely! I dont know why everyone has thrown in the towel on Crazy carl. I have a buddy out here at NIU who gets steamed everytime he hears Carls name. Carl obviously knows the game and can still put up great numbers. I think if he really gets in shape, we could be looking at a steal contract wise. Lose those LBS Crazy Carl!!!! Some of us still have faith in you!

soltrain21
12-11-2004, 02:08 PM
I've never liked hearing that a player has to be "whipped into shape" and monitored closely. I'd prefer players that have enough pride and desire that they just naturally want to be in their best playing shape.

Well I think, from what I have heard of Carl, that he does have a ton of pride. I think the Sox are just trying to get him into the shape he was in during his "all star" days. Whether you want to admit it or not, Carl is one of the biggest pieces of our puzzle this year. We are going to need him badly.

munchman33
12-11-2004, 02:10 PM
For those of you who think that Carl isn't going to do well this year, I have two words for you: contract year.

I challenge you to look at the numbers. Whenever Carl's up for a new contract, he seems to really step up his effort. Does that make him a jerk? Absolutely. But I'm still excited we're going to get to take advantage of that.

dickallen15
12-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Well I think, from what I have heard of Carl, that he does have a ton of pride. I think the Sox are just trying to get him into the shape he was in during his "all star" days. Whether you want to admit it or not, Carl is one of the biggest pieces of our puzzle this year. We are going to need him badly.
If he truly had a ton of pride, he wouldn't have let himself go, and gotten as heavy as he did. If you can't work out, you can always put the fork down. I do expect him to be better than last year for 2 reasons: 1. He couldn't do much worse and 2. Its a contract year.

Dolanski
12-11-2004, 02:42 PM
For those of you who think that Carl isn't going to do well this year, I have two words for you: contract year.

I challenge you to look at the numbers. Whenever Carl's up for a new contract, he seems to really step up his effort. Does that make him a jerk? Absolutely. But I'm still excited we're going to get to take advantage of that.
Ohh, that is a good point. Sadly, that is a strong motivation for a lot of players and I would put Carl in that group. Then again, is he too old to respond to a contract year scenario? Also, wasn't Maggs in a contract year last year?

santo=dorf
12-11-2004, 02:48 PM

And if he does really well we can bring him back at only $5 million for 2006.

dickallen15
12-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Or let him sign somewhere else and trade for him again at the deadline.

munchman33
12-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Really? And is that only a team option? If Carl failed next year, I'd hate to think he has another player option.

Jabroni
12-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Really? And is that only a team option? If Carl failed next year, I'd hate to think he has another player option.http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/6926592
The contract for the 32-year-old Everett, a two-time All-Star, also includes a club option for the 2006 season.

munchman33
12-11-2004, 06:15 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/6926592
Cool.

batmanZoSo
12-11-2004, 09:20 PM
I agree completely! I dont know why everyone has thrown in the towel on Crazy carl. I have a buddy out here at NIU who gets steamed everytime he hears Carls name. Carl obviously knows the game and can still put up great numbers. I think if he really gets in shape, we could be looking at a steal contract wise. Lose those LBS Crazy Carl!!!! Some of us still have faith in you!
If he's in shape and healthy, there's no doubt in my mind he'll be a productive player.

nitetrain8601
12-11-2004, 09:26 PM
If he's in shape and healthy, there's no doubt in my mind he'll be a productive player.
I agree strongly.

Brian26
12-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Not to mention the fact that these guys will probably end up lower in the order, adding less pressure. Once Frank gets back, he, Paulie, and CLee will end up 3,4,5, and will be the focus of the lineup.
Unfortunately, that's 5 guys for 4 spots.

delben91
12-11-2004, 10:01 PM
Unfortunately, that's 5 guys for 4 spots.
Unless the Carlos Lee rumors end up being true. Then we have Carl patrolling left field...or if JM were still about, perhaps Big Frank patrolling left field...

chisoxmike
12-11-2004, 10:26 PM
God, I hope they dont trade Carlos. Becuase you know what that means...

:LTP
"Just when you thought I was out!"

PaulDrake
12-11-2004, 10:32 PM
Well I think, from what I have heard of Carl, that he does have a ton of pride. I think the Sox are just trying to get him into the shape he was in during his "all star" days. Whether you want to admit it or not, Carl is one of the biggest pieces of our puzzle this year. We are going to need him badly. You think a team that needs Carl Everett "badly" is going places?

fquaye149
12-11-2004, 10:38 PM
you're right...a team that needs its NUMBER 7 hitter to hit .280 with 30 HR like he did 2 years ago can't possibly be any good

Brian26
12-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Unless the Carlos Lee rumors end up being true. Then we have Carl patrolling left field...or if JM were still about, perhaps Big Frank patrolling left field...
Hehe- I'm somehow trying to figure out how we can make this work. Can Caballo play second?

soltrain21
12-11-2004, 10:48 PM
You think a team that needs Carl Everett "badly" is going places?

Do we need him to produce? Yes.
Is he more than likely going to be our DH at the start of the year? Yep
If CLee or Paulie get traded is he going to be in the line up everyday? More than likely.

Taking that into account, I would say we need him to come through.

Jabroni
12-11-2004, 10:56 PM
If CLee or Paulie get traded is he going to be in the line up everyday? More than likely.

Taking that into account, I would say we need him to come through.Agreed. If Frank isn't healthy by opening day, Everett will be in our lineup every day. If Frank is healthy, Everett will still see alot of at bats against right-handed pitchers.

StockdaleForVeep
12-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Just post a picture in his locker of a tyranosaurs rex and tell them they did exist. Maybe it will fire him up to hit homers proving that nobody seen a trex

Dolanski
12-12-2004, 12:43 AM

Taking that into account, I would say we need him to come through.
Our season depends on Crazy Carl? Wow, that is so depressing and sad, I already am set for a craptatular third place finish.

soltrain21
12-12-2004, 12:49 AM
Our season depends on Crazy Carl? Wow, that is so depressing and sad, I already am set for a craptatular third place finish.
It does not depend on it. But it sure would be nice if he produced like he used to, wouldn't it?