PDA

View Full Version : Did the Sox sell out their playoff games in 2000?

ChiSoxRowand
12-11-2004, 02:14 AM
I thought they did, but on MJH today they were saying that the Sox did not sell them out and there was some empty seats. I do not remember because I did not get to see any of those games. They were all in the day at like one or two and I played football that year.

cbrownson13
12-11-2004, 02:16 AM
I went to one of the games, I believe it was a sell out

HomeFish
12-11-2004, 02:16 AM
I couldn't get tickets, so I presume it was a sellout.

Empty seats do not mean there was not a sellout; people occasionally don't show up to games they have tickets for. I don't understand this behavior, but I know that it happens.

voodoochile
12-11-2004, 02:30 AM
I couldn't get tickets, so I presume it was a sellout.

Empty seats do not mean there was not a sellout; people occasionally don't show up to games they have tickets for. I don't understand this behavior, but I know that it happens.
Yes, they sold out.

Odd afternoon scheduled games probably meant several season ticket holders did not show up. Best I could get over the Internet was way down the 3rd base line up high and I tried for several hours.

We ended up moving behind home plate in the UD for better sightlines. People didn't show up, but their friends didn't ask us to leave, merely move over to accomodate them better.

Radio idiots are spreading rumors? what a shock...:o:

ChiSoxRowand
12-11-2004, 02:48 AM
Sounds like it was just another instance of the media making us look bad, which is what I thought.

Foulke You
12-11-2004, 03:02 AM
Both games were complete sellouts. Another case of revisionist history from Cub loving media. I had to correct an idiot Cub fan at work on this who thought there were seats in the upper deck available for the 2000 ALDS. Dumbass.

Here is the official attendance according to Baseball Reference.com:

October 3, 2000 at Comiskey Park (Chicago White Sox)
Game 1- 45,290 were in attendance

October 4, 2000 at Comiskey Park II (Chicago White Sox)
Game 2- 45,383 were in attendance

I remember I had to drive to the ballpark at 4:30AM the day they went on sale to get tickets and there were huge lines at every window. I ended up getting Row 28 (of 29) in the Upper Deck for Game 1 and row 29 for game 2. I'm pretty sure both games sold out in under an hour if memory serves. I also remember there was very little media there to cover the event even though there were super long lines of Sox fans at every window. Of course, what do I know, I'm not a paid broadcaster of sportsblab radio.

It never stops amazing me how you can have a career as a sports talk show host yet know so little about what you talk about and constantly get facts wrong. I'd rather have a Cubs sympathizing announcer like Les Grobstein who actually knows a lot about what he is covering then some boob like Mariotti who proclaims himself king of all sports and knows jack $#!#.

SoxFan76
12-11-2004, 03:12 AM
Both games were complete sellouts. Another case of revisionist history from Cub loving media. I had to correct an idiot Cub fan at work on this who thought there were seats in the upper deck available for the 2000 ALDS. Dumbass.

Here is the official attendance according to Baseball Reference.com:

October 3, 2000 at Comiskey Park (Chicago White Sox)
Game 1- 45,290 were in attendance

October 4, 2000 at Comiskey Park II (Chicago White Sox)
Game 2- 45,383 were in attendance

I remember I had to drive to the ballpark at 4:30AM the day they went on sale to get tickets and there were huge lines at every window. I ended up getting Row 28 (of 29) in the Upper Deck for Game 1 and row 29 for game 2. I'm pretty sure both games sold out in under an hour if memory serves. I also remember there was very little media there to cover the event even though there were super long lines of Sox fans at every window. Of course, what do I know, I'm not a paid broadcaster of sportsblab radio.

It never stops amazing me how you can have a career as a sports talk show host yet know so little about what you talk about and constantly get facts wrong. I'd rather have a Cubs sympathizing announcer like Les Grobstein who actually knows a lot about what he is covering then some boob like Mariotti who proclaims himself king of all sports and knows jack $#!#.
That's exactly what I've always thought about. How do these guys have jobs? I know more about the White Sox than these guys, and their JOB is to know all things sports.

TommyJohn
12-11-2004, 11:04 AM
I thought they did, but on MJH today they were saying that the Sox did not sell them out and there was some empty seats. I do not remember because I did not get to see any of those games. They were all in the day at like one or two and I played football that year.
Not only did they sell out in 2000, but they also sold out games 3 and 4 of the
2003 ALDS, when those tickets went on sale in Sept. of '03. This is contrary to
a comment made on the radio by slimewad piece of **** Mark Giangreco, who
said that if the 2003 playoffs were held in Comiskey, they wouldn't have sold
out. That was a completely uncalled for cheap shot, the worst part about it
being that it was untrue. I guess that with Walter Payton dead Mr. Clever
needed a new target.

jabrch
12-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Yeah....definitely sold out. I had to pull some strings to get myself tickets.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Sounds like it was just another instance of the media making us look bad, which is what I thought. BINGO! This is what you get for wasting your time listening to morons... especially morons being paid to talk into a microphone.

All of the Sox playoff games were sellouts. What those dopes on the radio remember were empty seats in the furthest corners of the U.D. Those seats were sold but 5000 or so "extra" fans were milling around the outfield concourse -- as the view and amenities are better standing back there than sitting in those godawful seats.

Today these same fans would be restricted to the U.D. The lines for food, beer, and the restroom are much shorter in the L.D., too. Of course explaining this bit of news would require MJH to use their brains for a change... and that would hurt their ratings.

**** them. Blissfully Ignorant Dumbasses... and they aren't even mildly entertaining.
:mad:

Grobber33
12-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Both games were indeed sold out---and so were the three games in 1993 and both in 1983. I would have called in,but since I have'nt worked at 1000 since April,it's not my job to do anymore(even tho I like MJH),, but it sounds like most here know.

No Chicago Post Season Baseball game in ANY of our lifetimes on either side of Town has failed to sell out in advance.

TommyJohn
12-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Both games were indeed sold out---and so were the three games in 1993 and both in 1983. I would have called in,but since I have'nt worked at 1000 since April,it's not my job to do anymore(even tho I like MJH),, but it sounds like most here know.

No Chicago Post Season Baseball game in ANY of our lifetimes on either side of Town has failed to sell out in advance.
Yet another example of how the Chicago sports media powers that be have
completely screwed over Les.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-11-2004, 08:33 PM
They were definitely sold out because I remember only being able to get ALCS tickets back when they went on sale. However, we all know what happened--my dad and I got refunds for the tickets, but we still had to pay the stupid service charge or whatever it is! :(:

dpbyron
12-11-2004, 08:36 PM
UD seats were going for $100 a peice with the ticket brokers. Whoever said that is wasn't sold out was a dolt.

batmanZoSo
12-11-2004, 09:36 PM
They sold out in like an hour--all the games I believe. Anyone who says otherwise is a complete moron who has no clue what he's talking about.

Brian26
12-11-2004, 09:48 PM
I'd love to know which of the three morons made the comment, or if they all agreed with each other and came up with it collectively. How Jurko has a job in a major market is completely beyond my scope of comprehension. The guy doesn't sound qualified to have a job on a college radio station in Dekalb. As for McNeil and Harry, if they spent less time arguiing about whether its ok to wear a Jaguars or Astros jersey in the studio and spend more time doing their homework, maybe the show would be halfway listenable.

TDog
12-11-2004, 09:54 PM
I got to the park form Wisconsin at, like, 4 a.m. to wait in line the day the ALDS tickets went on sale. While driving home, I was still on the Ryan when sports radio announced the tickets were gone.

Of course, Major League Baseball returned some of its unused tickets and some other tickets became available before the game the game as well. I don't know how many people tried to get tickets at the last minute. The games had been announced as a sellout for weeks. Because it's the White Sox, it became fashionable in the media to say the Sox couldn't even sell out a playoff game.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-11-2004, 10:03 PM

Of course, Major League Baseball returned some of its unused tickets and some other tickets became available before the game the game as well. I don't know how many people tried to get tickets at the last minute. The games had been announced as a sellout for weeks. Because it's the White Sox, it became fashionable in the media to say the Sox couldn't even sell out a playoff game.
Those would be considered resold tickets and would count as 100+ percent sold-out. The Lyric Opera routinely resells tickets to sold-out performances.

:reinsy
"Sure, if opera fans come out we'll sign a tenor but no."

:KW
"I can't ask Jerry to spend for a fat lady when all he has in his pocket is money enough to pay for third seat flutist."

cornball
12-11-2004, 10:12 PM
I was at the first game, it was sold out. Yet, some of the seats were empty and caused the critics to be alive.

TDog
12-12-2004, 12:50 AM
Those would be considered resold tickets and would count as 100+ percent sold-out. The Lyric Opera routinely resells tickets to sold-out performances.
In that case, the Sox-didn't-sell-out-their-playoff-games crowd can't even back the claims with a technicality.

ewokpelts
12-12-2004, 05:12 AM
They were definitely sold out because I remember only being able to get ALCS tickets back when they went on sale. However, we all know what happened--my dad and I got refunds for the tickets, but we still had to pay the stupid service charge or whatever it is! :(:tm did refund services, but separately. I got all my money back
Gene

ewokpelts
12-12-2004, 05:15 AM
I got to the park form Wisconsin at, like, 4 a.m. to wait in line the day the ALDS tickets went on sale. While driving home, I was still on the Ryan when sports radio announced the tickets were gone.

Of course, Major League Baseball returned some of its unused tickets and some other tickets became available before the game the game as well. I don't know how many people tried to get tickets at the last minute. The games had been announced as a sellout for weeks. Because it's the White Sox, it became fashionable in the media to say the Sox couldn't even sell out a playoff game.these are NOT resold tix...mlb hold tix for every gam, and the sox hold some for vips as well....they are simply released later, very much like how big games always have good seats day of game open. I bought alds game two tix right before game one. I simply walked up to the gate and got em, and went home(no tix for game one).
Gene

voodoochile
12-12-2004, 09:54 AM
tm did refund services, but separately. I got all my money back
Gene
Me 2 and I wasn't even expecting to get the service charge back.

Dub25
12-12-2004, 04:40 PM
I was there for both games in 2000. Most of the empty seats were in the upper deck corners. I would bet that those people were the ones that were jamming up the outfield concourse. In wasn't until 2001 that you were restricted to the UD if you had those tix.

ewokpelts
12-12-2004, 04:49 PM
I was there for both games in 2000. Most of the empty seats were in the upper deck corners. I would bet that those people were the ones that were jamming up the outfield concourse. In wasn't until 2001 that you were restricted to the UD if you had those tix.actually...2002 opener, and cub sox, and any sold out games...
Gene

Frankfan4life
12-12-2004, 06:08 PM
I was there for Game 2. I'll never forget it. To get tickets, I was on the internet, my cell phone and my house phone at the same time. I finally got through on-line. At the game the crowd was live! I never cheered so much in my life and all I got was popups, popups and more popups. My boyfriend said maybe we should stop cheering. So we did and that didn't help either. After, the loss, we were hoarse and depressed, so we went to see a lousy movie, The Glass House, I believe. But, it was a sell-out, no question!

Dub25
12-12-2004, 06:17 PM
actually...2002 opener, and cub sox, and any sold out games...
Gene
Was it 02? I seem to remember the 01 opener not having the restriction but the Cub-Sox series and then after was when they started doing that. I could be wrong.

jdm2662
12-12-2004, 10:34 PM
I was at game 2, and it was sold out. People seem to forget that you can hang around on the concourse, bullpen bar, etc and not sit at your seat. In fact, before they put in the Ud rule, I actually thought about getting a group together, buy the cheapest tickets, and just sit at the bar the whole game.
________
Hinduism Forum (http://www.religionboard.org/hinduism/)

Brian26
12-12-2004, 11:45 PM
I was at game 2, and it was sold out. People seem to forget that you can hang around on the concourse, bullpen bar, etc and not sit at your seat. In fact, before they put in the Ud rule, I actually thought about getting a group together, buy the cheapest tickets, and just sit at the bar the whole game.
Yeah, I was on the concourse for a bit of Game 2 also. There had to have been 3,000 people on the outfield concourse easily. Maybe more.

JKryl
12-13-2004, 12:08 AM
Except for the Sox/Scrub games, every sold out game has empty seats. Remember there are corporate ticket holders, and scalpers who may not get their $200 per ticket.