PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie told Maggs So...

nitetrain8601
12-11-2004, 12:36 AM
"Sox watch action from sidelines
Payroll budget nearly maxed out"

The arrival of Guillen livened up the lobby, and he was in top form, strongly criticizing the published comments of outfielder Magglio Ordonez. Guillen said that when Ordonez was on the ground in pain after colliding with Willie Harris in Cleveland—the injury ended his season—he told him, "You better sign that contract they offered you."
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-041210sox,1,3592109.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Even Guillen doesn't agree with him. Maggs, you're a jagbag.

Jabroni
12-11-2004, 12:39 AM
Well, after Maggs injury I doubt the contract was still on the table. But he should have signed before he ever got injured. Greedy bastard. :angry:

chisox06
12-11-2004, 12:49 AM
Hard to believe that were talkin about Mags bein a jerk. I always thought the guy was a class act.

SoxFan76
12-11-2004, 12:51 AM
Hard to believe that were talkin about Mags bein a jerk. I always thought the guy was a class act.
Then he met a certain man. Let's call him S. Boras. No no no, that's too obvious. Let's just call him Scott B.

gosox41
12-11-2004, 09:13 AM
It's what the media wanted to make him out. Magglio was always quiet so that is assoicated with being classy because he keeps his mouth shut when times are tough.

But we've obviously seen the real Magglio when money is at stake.

Bob

Deadguy
12-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Well, after Maggs injury I doubt the contract was still on the table.
It probably still was. The initial injury wasn't thought to be anything other than something that would keep Magglio out 6 or so weeks, before he could come back at 100%. Once he went down a second time, the Sox were probably done talking to him and his agent.

DumpJerry
12-11-2004, 09:41 AM
It probably still was. The initial injury wasn't thought to be anything other than something that would keep Magglio out 6 or so weeks, before he could come back at 100%. Once he went down a second time, the Sox were probably done talking to him and his agent.IIRC, didn't Maggs disappear after the second time down? The Sox were kept in the dark about his rehab or even where he was? Remember the WSI Maggs Watch which made light of his whereabouts being unknown and assumed he was in his Florida home closely following the hurricanes and Sox? Didn't Ozzie and others on the team make tactful comments which belied their p***ed off mood towards Maggs' secrecy?

ewokpelts
12-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Well, after Maggs injury I doubt the contract was still on the table. But he should have signed before he ever got injured. Greedy bastard. :angry:i think it was stil on teh table in may...the injury didnt look that badm origianlly...
Gene

floppyfish27
12-11-2004, 11:49 AM
how is it we lose mags.... valentin...... sign dye and hermanson but yet the sun times says we have no more $.. can only obtain pitchers via trade of lee or konerko??? :mad:

voodoochile
12-11-2004, 11:57 AM
how is it we lose mags.... valentin...... sign dye and hermanson but yet the sun times says we have no more $.. can only obtain pitchers via trade of lee or konerko??? :mad:
There's a lot of threads where various posters break down the money aspects, but suffice it to say that Garcia takes up a good chunk of the money as do raises to other players already on the roster and built into their contracts (Buehrle, Frank, etc.)

floppyfish27
12-11-2004, 12:02 PM
I understand other players are getting raises. so how is it they raise our ticket prices then but don't increase payroll.. I goto 20-30 games a year.. even take 2-3 road trips a year to follow the team. small fan base = desire to win. they try to tell the fans, you come we will increase payroll.. broken record... I know several people who say they will come back once the team shows them they are serious about a championship... they could of signed ortiz (coveted him last year even after they got garcia) clement is available!! but yet we have to trade to obtain another pitcher? it's the things like this that will continue to keep fans away from the park...

Lip Man 1
12-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Before we get off the track here everyone needs to remember one thing.

I'm NOT saying Ozzie is wrong for his comments about this but remember he is now a member of the White Sox hierarchy isn't it?

Remember when he was a PLAYER his comments about the Sox were somewhat different weren't they?

For those who don't remember he and the Sox left on bad terms after the 1997 season. Ozzie spoke his mind about not being allowed to finish his career with them and about not being respected by them.

Just take his comments about Maggs with a grain of salt given his position now.

Lip

nodiggity59
12-11-2004, 12:45 PM

I'm NOT saying Ozzie is wrong for his comments about this but remember he is now a member of the White Sox hierarchy isn't it?

Remember when he was a PLAYER his comments about the Sox were somewhat different weren't they?

For those who don't remember he and the Sox left on bad terms after the 1997 season. Ozzie spoke his mind about not being allowed to finish his career with them and about not being respected by them.

Lip
Who cares what Ozzie's motivations are? He's right. Do you disagree with his advice Lip?

Viva Magglio
12-11-2004, 12:46 PM

Lip
Does that mean we have to look forward to Mágglio Ordóñez becoming Sox manager someday? He'd be the baseball answer to Dick Jauron.

doublem23
12-11-2004, 01:30 PM

LipNice spin, Lip. :rolleyes:

You're beating a dead horse, man. Ordonez has shown his true stripes these past few weeks. I'm not saying the White Sox have been a class organization the last 2 years and I'm not saying they're a class organization right now either, but pretty much everyone with a functional brain has come to the conclusion that Maggs is as classless in this as anyone else. He took a calculated gamble and it didn't pay off for him at all and now he's crying like a baby because the Sox protected their interets. Boo hoo, Ordonez.

Mickster
12-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Nice spin, Lip. :rolleyes:

You're beating a dead horse, man. Ordonez has shown his true stripes these past few weeks. I'm not saying the White Sox have been a class organization the last 2 years and I'm not saying they're a class organization right now either, but pretty much everyone with a functional brain has come to the conclusion that Maggs is as classless in this as anyone else. He took a calculated gamble and it didn't pay off for him at all and now he's crying like a baby because the Sox protected their interets. Boo hoo, Ordonez.
Lip is the new spinmeister..... :redneck

munchman33
12-11-2004, 01:35 PM

Lip
Yeah, but when Ozzie left, it wasn't over money. The team thought Ozzie no longer had the talent to be an everyday shortstop (which was true).

Unfortunately, neither did Mike Caruso. :(:

BainesHOF
12-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Screw Ozzie. He's a company man now.

Do you guys get it by now? The Sox routinely trash people they don't have to pay. It's a long history under Reinsdorf.

Jabroni
12-12-2004, 05:42 PM

Do you guys get it by now? The Sox routinely trash people they don't have to pay. It's a long history under Reinsdorf.Damn, I sure wish we had Maggs locked up for $70 million right now. Maybe he could actually play this season. :rolleyes:

FarWestChicago
12-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Damn, I sure wish we had Maggs locked up for $70 million right now. Maybe he could actually play this season. :rolleyes::borass:

Mags is 100%. He could play right now if I told him to.

dickallen15
12-12-2004, 05:53 PM
The White Sox had no intention of ever signing Magglio. Williams admited it this week, although not directly. He said the Sox have only lost 1 player from the board he has that has his projected 2007 team on it. While the initials of the player are MO, it was Miquel Olivo he was talking about.

Flight #24
12-12-2004, 05:55 PM
The White Sox had no intention of ever signing Magglio. Williams admited it this week, although not directly. He said the Sox have only lost 1 player from the board he has that has his projected 2007 team on it. While the initials of the player are MO, it was Miquel Olivo he was talking about.
Did he say when the board was last updated? IMO they probably tookMaggs off the board either when he rejected their offer last fall or at the latest, when he rejected the revised offer in May/June.

dickallen15
12-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Did he say when the board was last updated? IMO they probably tookMaggs off the board either when he rejected their offer last fall or at the latest, when he rejected the revised offer in May/June.
He spoke on Friday, and said he has lost only Olivo since he put the board together. So. at no time was Magglio on it.

munchman33
12-12-2004, 06:18 PM
:borass:

This needs to be a tag.

santo=dorf
12-12-2004, 06:25 PM
This needs to be a tag.it's : borass: (take out the space)

voodoochile
12-12-2004, 06:26 PM
This needs to be a tag. it is...

: borass:

without the space =

Jabroni
12-12-2004, 07:49 PM

Mags is 100%. He could play right now if I told him to.:) :) :)

Brian26
12-12-2004, 08:00 PM

Not necessarily. I view the manager's role more as a liason between the players and the front office...somewhere in between both. I found Ozzie's comments to be refreshingly honest.

Lip Man 1
12-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Brian:

Unless you are someone like Joe Torre or Tony LaRussa, guys who if fired will get hired by someone else tomorrow, you better watch who you piss off in your organization.

Ozzie Guillen isn't stupid. He's not going to go over the line very much and piss off the folks who are paying his salary.

With respect, A field manager is NOT a go-between. Not as long as his check is signed by the team owner. That's like saying the baseball commissioner is 'neutral.'

Lip

Brian26
12-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Ozzie Guillen isn't stupid. He's not going to go over the line very much and piss off the folks who are paying his salary.

With respect, A field manager is NOT a go-between. Not as long as his check is signed by the team owner. That's like saying the baseball commissioner is 'neutral.'

Lip
If Ozzie told Mags to sign the contract while he was laying on the field that night, that's a comment that was said in confidence between Ozzie and one of his players. I don't think there was any intention to piss anyone off in the front office, and remember- the only reason it came out in the open is because Ozzie said it again.

I think the field manager is definitely a go-between. It should be this way. KW shouldn't be in the clubhouse tipping over buffet tables. Let Ozzie take care of things.

FarWestChicago
12-12-2004, 11:01 PM
With respect, A field manager is NOT a go-between. Not as long as his check is signed by the team owner.What the hell does that have to do with anything? Who do you think signs the players checks? http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

OurBitchinMinny
12-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Its amazing how quick people turn on a guy

Flight #24
12-13-2004, 07:04 AM
What the hell does that have to do with anything? Who do you think signs the players checks? http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
Uh-oh, I guess Frank was acting as a member of the "official Sox hierarchy" when he recommended Maggs go to Lowell Weill. For that matter, wasnt it a member of the "official Sox hierarchy" (Willie Harris - paid by JR) that injured Maggs knee in the first place?

It's all just a part of the giant JR conspiracy!

SOXSINCE'70
12-13-2004, 07:22 AM

Gotta agree with Munchman.This needs to be a tag,West.

Kilroy
12-13-2004, 08:29 AM
Quit deluding yourself. Ozzie made enuf money in his playing career alone so that he wouldn't have to work another day in his life. He's always shown that he never cared what anyone thought of what he had to say, but now, suddenly, he's going to worry about that because the Sox sign his checks? Add to that the fact that if he were canned, he'd still be due the balance of his contract, and your statement makes even less sense.

SSN721
12-13-2004, 08:40 AM
Its amazing how quick people turn on a guy
Its amazing how quickly a player who is so well respected and loved by his fanbase can turn on them and make them feel like fools for supporting him when he shows his true selfish and disloyal colors.

PaulDrake
12-13-2004, 10:09 AM

Do you guys get it by now? The Sox routinely trash people they don't have to pay. It's a long history under Reinsdorf. History is not a favorite subject on this board or almost anywhere else.