PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers...

nitetrain8601
12-11-2004, 01:24 AM
deal can happen by Monday???
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-041210rogers,1,6467609.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Johnson-to-the-Yankees, supposed killed by the Yankees because of Arizona's high demands, is picking up momentum. It could be a done deal by Monday, based on the stance taken by Johnson's agents (Nero and Barry Meister) at a Saturday night meeting with Moorad and Arizona GM Joe Garagiola Jr.

Jabroni
12-11-2004, 01:27 AM
You forgot the most important part, the title!

"White Sox may benefit from D'backs deals
Even if Yankees acquire Johnson, South Siders could land Vazquez in multi-team transaction"
According to sources, the White Sox are in love with the idea of adding right-hander Javier Vazquez, especially with the Yankees picking up much of the $34.5 million he's owed over the next three years. They just might be able to get Johnson from Arizona (Carlos Lee or Paul Konerko, Jon Garland and prospects) and pass him along to the Yankees.

While Vazquez is coming off a poor season (14-10, 4.91 ERA in 32 starts), Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen are convinced he can join Mark Buehrle and Freddy Garcia to give them three guys who could win 18-to-20 games.

Perhaps that's why Williams made a beeline to Moorad after he pulled up to the hotel at baseball's winter meetings Friday. But Vazquez is not the only front-line starting pitcher on Williams' radar screen.

He also is interested in Oakland's Tim Hudson, who is being shopped because the A's can't afford his demands for a four-year, $50-million contract.

Like Arizona, Oakland needs a run-producing outfielder. Lee and prospects would get the attention of A's general manager Billy Beane.

I would take Hudson (92-39 with a 3.30 career ERA) over Vazquez for 2005, but for the White Sox, he probably would be like Bartolo Colon in 2003, a one-year proposition.

The addition of Vazquez would mean the Sox have control of all four of their top starters (counting Jose Contreras) through 2007. That's a better way to go.I hope to hell we don't give up that much for Vazquez. :(:

Win1ForMe
12-11-2004, 01:48 AM
If the Yankees don't mind picking up much of the $$$ left on Vazquez's contract, then the gamble is worth taking. And I'm assuming that would open up the door for some more signings with money freed up by moving Konerko/Lee and Garland. Maybe we could get in on guys like Renteria or JD Drew.

Jabroni
12-11-2004, 02:00 AM
If the Yankees don't mind picking up much of the $$$ left on Vazquez's contract, then the gamble is worth taking. And I'm assuming that would open up the door for some more signings with money freed up by moving Konerko/Lee and Garland. Maybe we could get in on guys like Renteria or JD Drew.If we trade Konerko AND Garland, we still need a 5th starter. The freed up money would have to be spent on another starting pitcher.

By the way, we're not getting J.D. Drew. We just signed Dye. Also, Renteria wants way too much money ($9 million a year). We can't afford him either. Renteria and Drew are pipe-dreams that aren't even worth dreaming about.

Jabroni
12-11-2004, 02:10 AM
Friday, December 10, 2004
Big Unit remains in limbo
By Jayson Stark
ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1943741
Our buddy Peter Gammons reported this week that the teams are considering reviving a dormant three-way trade with the White Sox. But an AL executive with knowledge of those talks reports the White Sox and Yankees haven't spoken in more than a month.

And one baseball man who has talked with the Diamondbacks says they're not trading Johnson without getting a top-of-the-rotation starter back -- and the pitcher they were supposed to get in that White Sox three-way, Jon Garland, wouldn't qualify.

Well, if there's a better variation of that trade out there, someone had better start looking for it fast -- because, in the meantime, the Yankees are making other plans.

Foulke You
12-11-2004, 03:22 AM
Hudson would be better if you were going for just next year. However, there is no way JR pays $50 million to a pitcher. Ain't gonna happen, so for sure he would be a rent a player. Albeit, the best rent a pitcher on the market this side of Randy Johnson.

While I'm not sold on Vazquez, especially if it means giving up both Garland and Konerko, I admit, I'm intrigued at the proposition of the Yankees paying almost all of his 3 year salary while at the same time, Kenny Williams frees up about $11 million to play with for this season. Very interesting indeed...

34 Inch Stick
12-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Two things come to my mind when discussing this situation. If the Yankees are going to cut Giambi they will need a 1st baseman. If this were true then this trade could work even if Arizona was eliminated from the negotiation. Secondly, if Garland were to be included, I am sure the Yankees would be willing to throw Kevin Brown into the mix. While Brown is not the same player he used to be, I would not mind him as the 5th starter. If KW could get the Yanks to eat a significant portion of Brown and Vazquez salary, I would be willing to part with Konerko and Garland.

soltrain21
12-11-2004, 01:15 PM
The Dbacks want way too much for Johnson, and we are giving up way too much for Javier. I don't like this deal one bit. There has to be another alternative where we could trade JUST Konerko (and maybe a prospect) for 2 or a 3, or maybe even a one.

Win1ForMe
12-11-2004, 01:24 PM
If we trade Konerko AND Garland, we still need a 5th starter. The freed up money would have to be spent on another starting pitcher.

By the way, we're not getting J.D. Drew. We just signed Dye. Also, Renteria wants way too much money ($9 million a year). We can't afford him either. Renteria and Drew are pipe-dreams that aren't even worth dreaming about.
I listed Drew as a possibility if we traded Lee instead of Konerko. With $10 M freed up, anything would be possible. You can look at a cheaper starter like Wilson Alvarez to fill in the 5th slot.

PaulDrake
12-11-2004, 01:32 PM
The Dbacks want way too much for Johnson, and we are giving up way too much for Javier. I don't like this deal one bit. There has to be another alternative where we could trade JUST Konerko (and maybe a prospect) for 2 or a 3, or maybe even a one. I'm with you.

A. Cavatica
12-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Konerko, Garland, and prospects would be overpaying for either Johnson or Vazquez. KW has already proved that he's willing to be fleeced when he locks in on a player -- so let's hope he's learned from previous mistakes.
Here's how I see it. Konerko for Vazquez is pretty even. If the Yankees need Konerko to acquire RJ, they are strongly motivated, so they can be persuaded to throw in cash.

Note to Kenny: the Yankees can ALWAYS be persuaded to throw in cash.

Now, if we're also giving up Garland and prospects, then we'd better be getting back another player, plus more cash. If those prospects turn out to include Anderson or Sweeney or B-Mac, then we'd better be getting back a damn good second player.

Who do the Yankees have that we'd want? Jorge Posada is rumored to be available. Boy, would he look good behind the plate with Davis or Burke as his backup! Bernie Williams is probably available, which would in turn allow us to trade Lee. And the Yankees would probably pay us to take Giambi (as I advocated in another thread, despite much wailing and gnashing of teeth). I wouldn't turn up my nose at Alex Graman, or a reliever, or catching prospect Dioner Navarro either.