PDA

View Full Version : Many possible trade scenarios (including trading BOTH Lee and Konerko?)

MRKARNO
12-11-2004, 12:32 AM
It seems very likely that the White Sox will make some kind of move because you simply cannot have this many OF/DH/1B types on the 25-man roster. Which option do you think would be best?

Let me introduce a new scenario which has not been broached upon much by anyone:

How about trade both Lee and Konerko?

Think about what each of them could possibly net us in a trade for a moment. Maybe we could get Vazquez for Konerko (as has been discussed before) and Marcus Giles for Lee (Braves could use Lee as a suitable JD Drew replacement)? Then how would our team look?:

Giles 2B
Rowand CF
Thomas DH
Everett LF
Dye RF
Uribe SS
Gload 1B
Crede 3B
Burke C

Buehrle
Garcia
Vazquez
Garland
Contreras

Would it be risky? Yes because of the relative health of Thomas, Dye and Everett. If one were to get hurt, it would likely mean that Borchard or Alex Escobar could get significant playing time (or an early Brian Anderson callup). But if they stay healthy, we could fill 2 holes and make this team a lot more solid from top to bottom and save some money to possibly sign another backup outfielder or OF/1Bman.

It might just be crazy enough to work.

Jabroni
12-11-2004, 12:59 AM
That isn't a horrible idea but without Maggs bat anymore I don't think we can afford to lose BOTH Konerko AND Lee. I do like the Konerko for Vazquez straight-up trade though. I also like Giles but we need Lee as power bat in the lineup.

HomeFish
12-11-2004, 01:06 AM
Some of you guys really want to turn us into the Dodgers. Pitching is nice, but offense comes in handy occasionally.

MRKARNO
12-11-2004, 01:07 AM
That isn't a horrible idea but without Maggs bat anymore I don't think we can afford to lose BOTH Konerko AND Lee. I do like the Konerko for Vazquez straight-up trade though. I also like Giles but we need Lee as power bat in the lineup.
But do we really need that power bat in the lineup? Everett, Uribe, Crede, Rowand, Thomas and Dye all could hit 20 home runs or more. I think we have the power and power is not something we should worry as much about as making sure we have guys on base for those power hitters. We dont really have a bonafide leadoff man and Giles could fill that role.

I'm started off playing devil's advocate here. I actually voted for trade only Pauly, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me. Would it be risky? You bet it would be, but I think if everyone can stay healthy that it would lead us to high heights. It would put us in a situation with a greater chance of a World Series without lowering the floor of our possible win total that much. Starting Escobar or Borchard wouldnt be the end of the world (and maybe Joe B finally gets if when given the chance. You can never be sure). Having Lee would be nice insurance and a good safety net, but we cant afford having 4 million dollar bench players like Everett. Put him to work in a starting role.

SomebodyToldMe
12-11-2004, 01:08 AM
I really don't want either gone...But if I had to chose, I'd get rid of Lee....Only because I'm a Paulie fan. Lee's "look" after he hits a ball pisses me off.

MRKARNO
12-11-2004, 01:09 AM
Some of you guys really want to turn us into the Dodgers. Pitching is nice, but offense comes in handy occasionally.
We'll still hit 200 home runs either way you look at it. You cant play 81 games at the Cell and not hit 200 HRs. Why not fill a hole at 2B, SS or C and get a 5th starter as well?

Jabroni
12-11-2004, 01:10 AM
Some of you guys really want to turn us into the Dodgers. Pitching is nice, but offense comes in handy occasionally.How long have we had the "Dreaded 5th Starter" problem? The past 3 years? :rolleyes:

Jabroni
12-11-2004, 01:12 AM
But do we really need that power bat in the lineup? Everett, Uribe, Crede, Rowand, Thomas and Dye all could hit 20 home runs or more. I think we have the power and power is not something we should worry as much about as making sure we have guys on base for those power hitters. We dont really have a bonafide leadoff man and Giles could fill that role.

I'm started off playing devil's advocate here. I actually voted for trade only Pauly, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me. Would it be risky? You bet it would be, but I think if everyone can stay healthy that it would lead us to high heights. It would put us in a situation with a greater chance of a World Series without lowering the floor of our possible win total that much. Starting Escobar or Borchard wouldnt be the end of the world (and maybe Joe B finally gets if when given the chance. You can never be sure). Having Lee would be nice insurance and a good safety net, but we cant afford having 4 million dollar bench players like Everett. Put him to work in a starting role.Okay, so we still have alot of power. But Carlos also has something that our lineup is sorely lacking -- OBP.

Starting Everett in the OF? Okay. Starting Borchard or Escobar in the OF? No way. Borchard got cut from a Mexican league and Escobar can never seem to stay healthy. Escobar also hasn't done anything in the majors to earn himself a starting spot on any team's lineup.

MRKARNO
12-11-2004, 01:15 AM
Okay, so we still have alot of power. But Carlos also has something that our lineup is sorely lacking -- OBP.
Very true, which is why you make sure you get someone with less power and a higher OBP in exchange....which is why I suggested Giles.

nitetrain8601
12-11-2004, 01:16 AM
Pk for many reasons. Main reasons being that he's not much of a hitter outside the Cell and he grounds soo many times into DP's. I like PK though. He's generally a good guy.

Jabroni
Very true, which is why you make sure you get someone with less power and a higher OBP in exchange....which is why I suggested Giles.An outfield of Everett in, Rowand, and Dye is not exactly appealing to me. But it isn't horrible. Who knows, maybe Everett and Dye will go back to putting up solid numbers. :?: I still get scared of the thought of Carl in LF. :(: He had better lose that gut of his.

ilsox7
Very true, which is why you make sure you get someone with less power and a higher OBP in exchange....which is why I suggested Giles. Giles is pretty much untouchable. At least reports say the Braves wouldn't give him up to get Hudson, so I doubt they'd part ways with him for CLee.

rwcescato
12-11-2004, 01:21 AM

The fact of the matter is. I really don't care who is on the team. I just want to win before i die. I am 40 years old now and only have seen a handful of playoff games. It breaks my heart every year. My dad saw the 1959 team in the series
he has been passed away for 11 years now. I want to at least see and experience what he did. But at this rate I just don't think it will happen in my or my kids lifetime. Thanks alot JR.
Rich

Jabroni
12-11-2004, 01:24 AM
The fact of the matter is. I really don't care who is on the team. I just want to win before i die. I am 40 years old now and only have seen a handful of playoff games. It breaks my heart every year. My dad saw the 1959 team in the series
he has been passed away for 11 years now. I want to at least see and experience what he did. But at this rate I just don't think it will happen in my or my kids lifetime. Thanks alot JR.
RichThis could be the single most depressing post that I have ever read here at WSI. I'm glad I'm only 24 because I may need every extra year I have to see a White Sox championship in my lifetime. :whiner:

nitetrain8601
12-11-2004, 01:26 AM
This could be the single most depressing post that I have ever read here at WSI. I'm glad I'm only 24 because I may need every extra year I have to see a White Sox championship in my lifetime. :whiner:
I'm glad I'm only 18...oh crap, I'm almost 19. Please White Sox, do it for me, do it for them, do it just to do it, but win a championship. KW, I have all my confidence in you. Be like Nike and Just Do It.

Mohoney
12-11-2004, 03:55 AM
The Dodgers won their division.

I'd certainly like it if we took steps in the Dodgers' direction.