PDA

View Full Version : Hidalgo or Dye

bigredrudy
12-10-2004, 11:41 PM
The Rangers today signed Hidalgo for 4.5 Million. The contract is for one year. Which signing do you like the best? Even though Dye has slowed down because of his leg injury I much prefer the Sox signing. Dye has an excellent arm and even though he is not fast is an above average fielder. And the Sox have Dye locked up for 3 years. Your thoughts.

nitetrain8601
12-10-2004, 11:46 PM
I agree. BTW, Welcome aboard.

MRKARNO
12-11-2004, 12:01 AM
It's tough to say. Dye has proven he can hit when healthy, but he hasnt been all that healthy lately so it's not easy to know. Hidalgo has been a lot healthier, but hasnt always proven he can hit when he has been healthy. Hidalgo's best year came at the same time as Dye's (2000) and Hidalgo's was better. Dye's worst years when he actually played however are a little easier to stomach than Hidalgo's worst years. I'll say that the advantage goes to the Hidalgo signing because they only had to guarentee one year.

Jabroni
12-11-2004, 12:20 AM
I guess we will know in a year. If both Dye and Hidalgo have good seasons, Dye will be the better signing because we will have him locked up for another year at $5 million and a $6 million club option for 2007. Since Hidalgo is only under a 1-year contract for this year, he will cost alot more money to re-sign next season if he has a good year with the Rangers.

HomeFish
12-11-2004, 01:04 AM
My main experience with Hidalgo has been watching Astros/Cubs games on Gameday and moaning when Hidalgo struck out with men in scoring position. Is there some greatness to him that I am missing?

Jabroni
12-11-2004, 01:06 AM
My main experience with Hidalgo has been watching Astros/Cubs games on Gameday and moaning when Hidalgo struck out with men in scoring position. Is there some greatness to him that I am missing?HAHA! I actually watched some of those games. :unsure:

Hidalgo isn't very clutch but when he first got traded from the Astros to the Mets he was bombing everything out of the park. Then he went flat for the rest of the season. I'm happy with Dye. Dye actually has an excuse for his down year last season -- he was playing the last two months of the season with a broken thumb. :o:

tadscout
12-11-2004, 03:22 AM
Dye all the way!!! :bandance:

At least he's consistant when healthy (and most his injuries seem kinda freakish, not the reoccurring type...)...

Foulke You
12-11-2004, 03:25 AM
Definitely Dye is the better signing in my mind. As a previous poster pointed out, Hidalgo was not very clutch while Dye on the other hand always seemed to have a knack for getting that big double to the gap or the homer that tied the game. Dye was a very, very good pickup for KW. I for one, am glad the Sox at least filled Magglio's spot with another bonifide all star type player.