PDA

View Full Version : Johnson to Sox still a possibility?

jamteh
12-10-2004, 10:41 PM
Johnson (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041210&content_id=920556&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

I think RJ would look great in a White Sox uniform, and I'd much rather see us give up a Konerko and Garland for RJ rather than Vazquez.

nitetrain8601
12-10-2004, 10:46 PM
Hell no, Vazquez is younger and prior to the .5 of a year that sooooo many people only care to remember, he was one of the best pitchers in baseball.

santo=dorf
12-10-2004, 11:08 PM
It was just four days ago when Williams stated without hesitation that dealings for Randy Johnson were off the table. According to Williams, it was a lack of interest on Johnson's part to waive his no-trade clause and pitch for the White Sox, more so than a South Siders' waning desire to acquire the Big Unit that caused the declaration.
On Friday, Alan Nero, one of Johnson's agents, said any reports on Johnson and his possible trade desires were just that -- media reports. Nothing was official as far as Johnson being asked if he would pitch for the White Sox, according to Nero.

and "word" is that once again, RJ said he will only waive his no-trade clause to go to the Yankees. Maybe the signings of Dye and Hermanson will convince him to come here.

Jabroni
12-10-2004, 11:24 PM
and "word" is that once again, RJ said he will only waive his no-trade clause to go to the Yankees.Yep, RJ has said he will only waive his no-trade clause for the Yankmees.

EDIT: Hmmm...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041210&content_id=920556&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jspOn Friday, Alan Nero, one of Johnson's agents, said any reports on Johnson and his possible trade desires were just that -- media reports. Nothing was official as far as Johnson being asked if he would pitch for the White Sox, according to Nero.

This piece of second-hand news gave Williams a little room for thought, even though his information regarding Johnson came from a highly placed source. Even if asked, Johnson's answer would be no, said the source.

"That's what the general manager told me," Williams of the original news on Johnson he heard from Arizona's Joe Garagiola Jr. "I kind of need some definites. Would he or wouldn't he?

"Up until this point, I didn't think there was any more reason to think about it, but maybe there is. If there is, I wish I could get an answer definitely, one way or another."Maybe RJ has changed his mind about only waiving his no-trade clause to play for the Yankees since that trade fell through. Maybe now he just wants out of Arizona period and will accept a trade to a team like the White Sox. :?:

cbrownson13
12-10-2004, 11:31 PM
Hell no, Vazquez is younger and prior to the .5 of a year that sooooo many people only care to remember, he was one of the best pitchers in baseball.

Vazquez was one of the best pitchers in baseball? For his career he is averaging an 11-11 record per year and has a career 4.26 ERA. He had one really good year in 2003. But I would not say that, overall, he was one of the best pitchers in baseball. He was one of the best pitchers in baseball for 1 year.

santo=dorf
12-10-2004, 11:35 PM
Vazquez was one of the best pitchers in baseball? For his career he is averaging an 11-11 record per year and has a career 4.26 ERA. He had one really good year in 2003. But I would not say that, overall, he was one of the best pitchers in baseball. He was one of the best pitchers in baseball for 1 year.
He played with the Expos for God's sake. He had 16 wins in 2001 which was 23.5% of the team's total wins. I wouldn't say he's the one of the best, but noone really knew of him until the Yanks traded for him and gave him a ton of money.

MRKARNO
12-10-2004, 11:43 PM
In 2001 Vazquez was pretty damn good too and in 2002, he was still more than above average. He strikes out a lot of hitters and doesnt walk many (which is more than say...Matt Clement can say). Almost all of the pitchers getting major contracts on the FA market this year dont have as good credentials as Vazquez. His track record is better than Pavano's and Clement's. Unlike those two however, his best year was not last year. Vazquez's contract is 11 million per, but he is much more worth that kind of money than those two.

cbrownson13
12-11-2004, 12:52 AM
In 2001 Vazquez was pretty damn good too and in 2002, he was still more than above average. He strikes out a lot of hitters and doesnt walk many (which is more than say...Matt Clement can say). Almost all of the pitchers getting major contracts on the FA market this year dont have as good credentials as Vazquez. His track record is better than Pavano's and Clement's. Unlike those two however, his best year was not last year. Vazquez's contract is 11 million per, but he is much more worth that kind of money than those two.
I agree. I'm not underestimating his talent. I think he is a good pitcher and would love to see him on the Sox. I'm not sure I'd love to give up Konerko and Garland for him though. I definitely would rather have him than Clement. My initial statement is a tad flawed because obviously his win/loss record is skewed because of playing for the Expos. I just wouldn't consider him one of the best pitchers in the game, depending on what we are considering the best in the game is.

Jjav829
12-11-2004, 01:16 AM
Don't waste time with RJ, Kenny. Just go stroke Beane's ego and grab Huddy away from him.

Foulke You
12-11-2004, 02:15 AM
God I hope the RJ door is still open. Nothing would ignite the excitement of the fanbase and take the sting away from losing Maggs than getting pound for pound, the most dominant pitcher in the game today. Randy Johnson in a Sox uniform would make a huge statement to the fans, the Twins, and the rest of the league that the we plan on contending next year.

Not to mention the PR boost it would give the team. I mean, people come out just to see that guy pitch. Randy Johnson would sell season tickets and steal local and national headlines away from our rivals to the north. Vazquez just doesn't excite me nor do I think it would excite the masses. Especially if it means giving up Paulie and Garland to get him. A Javier Vazquez trade would be mentioned after Illini basketball and Bears practice on the 10PM news just as the Jermaine Dye signing was. Randy Johnson to the White Sox is page 1 news on every sports section in America.

This White Sox team needs an impact pitcher. A lightning bolt that can carry the team on his back to the playoffs. I believe Johnson is that player.

Btw, Jjav, Hudson would be a very close second on my wish list right now.:cool:

MUsoxfan
12-11-2004, 03:08 AM
I'm not quite sure what the love affair for RJ on the southside is. I was never more happy than when KW said the Sox weren't interested. We'd have to give up ALOT for an old pitcher and he's ungodly expensive. That money can be better utilized on a younger arm or a decent contact hitter.....or even both. I'm quite sure RJ isn't coming here and the Sox are better for it.

gosox41
12-11-2004, 09:06 AM
He played with the Expos for God's sake. He had 16 wins in 2001 which was 23.5% of the team's total wins. I wouldn't say he's the one of the best, but noone really knew of him until the Yanks traded for him and gave him a ton of money.
Maybe the question should be: Why did Vazquez have such a bad season last year?

I've heard things about his mechanics being off to his arm slot. Maybe it was the NY spotlight. Maybe he got fat (and I don't mean weight wise) after signing a big contract. Maybe he's injured.

But if the Sox do get him, the Sox better not be getting the 2004 Vazquez.

Bob

SSN721
12-11-2004, 10:12 AM
I had always like Vazquez when he was with the Spos and I think that a change of scenery would be benificial to him. THere would be less expectations on him here (still more then the Spos obviously), I think he would perform better here. I for one would be excited if we got him. As long as we dont lose Garland in the deal then we are just right back where we started.

santo=dorf
12-11-2004, 10:27 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041211&content_id=921136&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

The Diamondbacks, Johnson's current team, were to meet with Johnson's agents somewhere around 8:30 p.m. PT on Saturday night to discuss his situation. Arizona could broach a contract extension with the Big Unit, especially with the addition of Troy Glaus and Russ Ortiz through free agency improving their competitive nature, or a list of interested teams could be presented for Johnson's select trade approval.

One of those teams on the list will be the White Sox. Ken Williams entered the weekend believing the acquisition of Johnson was a dead issue, being told by general manager Joe Garagiola that Johnson did not want to pitch for the White Sox. But Williams saw a new chance to strike when Alan Nero, one of Johnson's agents, made it clear Friday that Johnson hadn't turned down the White Sox because he hadn't been asked about a trade to the White Sox.

Williams would not expound any further in regards to the Johnson situation. "It's best that I don't comment on that today," Williams said during a Saturday night media briefing. That a boy Kenny!!! Stay under that radar!

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/KWstealth2.jpg

chisoxmike
12-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Konerko for Johnson... I'll have to live with it.

Konerko for Vasquez... I'm returning my tickets.:angry:

pearso66
12-11-2004, 10:34 PM
Konerko for Johnson... I'll have to live with it.

The problem is we'd have to give up more than just Konerko for Johnson, It would likely be Konerko, Garland and Anderson, and to that, I'd be more pissed than just Konerko for Vasquez. I'd be pissed if it was Konerko and Garland for Vasquez though

MRKARNO
12-11-2004, 10:43 PM
Why would you return your tickets for Kenny WIlliams trading away a player who cant hit for crap on the road and is coming off a career year and is from a position of strength in exchange for filling our rotation with one of the better young pitchers in baseball?

chisoxmike
12-11-2004, 10:44 PM
I think Vasquez is way overrated, and any trade for him wont help the team.

SoxxoS
12-11-2004, 10:48 PM
I think Vasquez is way overrated, and any trade for him wont help the team.
I think you are basing that statement on one half season...I don't know if that is fair to Javier. He was very, very good at Montreal. Scary good.

That being said, I don't like the fact that he possibly couldn't handle the pressure of pitching in New York...b/c how well would you expect him to pitch come playoff time?

chisoxmike
12-11-2004, 10:58 PM
I'm not saying he's a bad pitcher, all I'm saying its a risk to give up what they will for another guy from the "Yankees 2004 pitching expierement gone wrong" (see Jose Contreras)

1998 Expos 5-15 6.06ERA
1999 Expos 9-8 5.00ERA
2000 Expos 11-9 4.05ERA
2001 Expos 16-11 3.42ERA
2002 Expos 10-13 3.91ERA
2003 Expos 13-12 3.24ERA
2004 Yankees 14-10 4.91ERA

eh? :dunno:

santo=dorf
12-11-2004, 11:01 PM
I'm not saying he's a bad pitcher, all I'm saying its a risk to give up what they will for another guy from the "Yankees 2004 pitching expierement gone wrong" (see Jose Contreras)

1998 Expos 5-15 6.06ERA
1999 Expos 9-8 5.00ERA
2000 Expos 11-9 4.05ERA
2001 Expos 16-11 3.42ERA
2002 Expos 10-13 3.91ERA
2003 Expos 13-12 3.24ERA
2004 Yankees 14-10 4.91ERA

eh? :dunno:
Sign me up. That Montreal team only won 68 games in 2001, which means Vazquez had 23.5% of their total wins. If Steinbrenner is stupid enough to give us Vazquez and cash just so he can finally have RJ, I say we take advantage of it. We would have a big 3 of Buehrle, Garcia, and Vazquez for the next 3 years.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-11-2004, 11:01 PM
After actually seeing the home/road splits for Konerko, I'll take EITHER RJ or Vazquez for him, even if it involves Garland and quite possibly a prospect. I knew he didn't hit as well on the road, but I didn't know it was bad! Also, I remember an interesting stat on the screen during the season when he had around 30 HRs, I think 22 of them were solo shots! I think most can agree with me that when Frank and Magglio went down for the season, Konerko didn't carry the team in the 3/4 spot like Frank does when he's healthy. The White Sox need another top of the line starter more than a slow 1b and an average at best 4th starter.

DickAllen72
12-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Johnson may yet consider playing for the White Sox if the Yankees are no longer interested in him now that they have signed both Pavano and Wright. I think RJ really expected to be on the Yankees.

Another result of the Yankees signing Pavano and Wright that may effect the Sox is that now they may be willing to deal Vasquez plus some cash for Konerko alone. That is, if Giambi is no longer in their plans.

santo=dorf
12-11-2004, 11:32 PM
The Marlins and Yankees have discussed swapping Javier Vazquez and A.J. Burnett.
The Yankees would have to throw in a lot of cash to make this one work. Burnett is at least as good of a bet as Vazquez for next year, so the only reason the Marlins would make the swap is if they thought it would save them some money over the next few years. If the trade happens, Burnett might then be moved on to Arizona in a Randy Johnson trade. :angry: :angry: :angry:
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.asp?sport=MLB

MRKARNO
12-11-2004, 11:37 PM
There are sooooo many different possibilities that are realistic for the White Sox because of the fact that we have an apparent top tier first-baseman and a top tier outfielder available. It might not be until a lot of the bigger names are signed that a deal gets done and we do a deal with a team who lost out on the sweepstakes for a buncha FAs. I think we'll see something pretty interesting go down in the next few days however. Only time will tell! I just hope KW (1) doesnt give up more than he has to and (2) gets good talent in return.

Gosox1917
12-12-2004, 12:06 AM
I just went to the official website, www.whitesox.com (http://www.whitesox.com) and saw a pic of RJ. My heart skipped a beat for a sec, but then I read the headline which only said, "Randy Johnson not completely out of the picture". So, evidentally talks aren't dead and if Randy wants out of Arizona, his only ticket may be to the Southside.

Unregistered
12-12-2004, 12:43 AM
From the Cubune:

The Sox covet Vazquez, who struggled in the second half of the season and was not in the postseason rotation. It's believed the Sox will offer Paul Konerko in a deal only if Johnson ends up on the South Side. If they are a third party with Johnson landing in the Bronx, Carlos Lee could be the Sox's contribution with Vazquez coming to Chicago
So looks like we're only getting rid of PK is we get Randy Johnson in return. Well, at least according to the Trib...

Jabroni
12-12-2004, 01:05 AM
From the Cubune:

So looks like we're only getting rid of PK is we get Randy Johnson in return. Well, at least according to the Trib...Hmmm, I'd rather trade Konerko than Lee in any case, whether it be for RJ or Vazquez, but I guess that makes more sense. If we trade Lee to net us Vazquez, we can still have the following lineup...

2B Willie Harris
CF Aaron Rowand
1B Paul Konerko
RF Jermaine Dye
LF Carl Everett
DH Ross Gload (until Frank is healthy)
SS Juan Uribe
3B Joe Crede
C Ben Davis

Gload could even play some 1B with Konerko DH'ing. The thought of Everett in LF is kind of scary but some people weren't too high on Lee's defense there anyways, although he has gotten alot better recently.

FightingBillini
12-12-2004, 01:14 AM
It's believed the Sox will offer Paul Konerko in a deal only if Johnson ends up on the South Side.
Yes!

[QUOTE]If they are a third party with Johnson landing in the Bronx, Carlos Lee could be the Sox's contribution with Vazquez coming to Chicago

NOOOOOOOOOO! Carlos has a high trade value right now. Carlos should be used to get Hudson, not Vazquez. I would only trade Carlos for Vazquez if the following happens:
1.The Yankees pick up at least a third of the contract.
2.We trade Konerko for a good young 2B who can lead-off and a solid relief pitcher (Hairston and BJ Ryan?), Which would save us a good amount of money
3. We are able to sign Carlos Delgado.
We would more than replace Konerko with Delgado, add a left handed power bat, add a leadoff hitting 2B, solidify the bullpen, and add Vazquez, while adding no payroll. We would still have the $3 mil or whatever we have now to add a roll player.

soltrain21
12-12-2004, 01:16 AM
[/b]

NOOOOOOOOOO! Carlos has a high trade value right now. Carlos should be used to get Hudson, not Vazquez. I would only trade Carlos for Vazquez if the following happens:
1.The Yankees pick up at least a third of the contract.
2.We trade Konerko for a good young 2B who can lead-off and a solid relief pitcher (Hairston and BJ Ryan?), Which would save us a good amount of money
3. We are able to sign Carlos Delgado.
We would more than replace Konerko with Delgado, add a left handed power bat, add a leadoff hitting 2B, solidify the bullpen, and add Vazquez, while adding no payroll. We would still have the $3 mil or whatever we have now to add a roll player.

I don't think Lee could be used to get Hudson. I am pretty sure they are looking for a 2B.

Jabroni
12-12-2004, 01:39 AM
I don't think Lee could be used to get Hudson. I am pretty sure they are looking for a 2B.Actually, since the A's just lost Dye they only really have two established starting outfielders -- Mark Kotsay and Eric Byrnes. Kielty is not an everyday starter and unless they think their prospect Nick Swisher can get it done everyday, they still need another corner outfielder. Lee would be perfect for the A's since they need another righty bat in their left-handed dominant lineup.

nitetrain8601
12-12-2004, 01:54 AM
Actually, since the A's just lost Dye they only really have two established starting outfielders -- Mark Kotsay and Eric Byrnes. Kielty is not an everyday starter and unless they think their prospect Nick Swisher can get it done everyday, they still need another corner outfielder. Lee would be perfect for the A's since they need another righty bat in their left-handed dominant lineup.
Told you that sig brings bad luck. On rotoworld it says it looks like Hudson will either get traded to the Dodgers or the Orioles. It also says that Vazquez for Burnett is being talked about between Florida and the Yankees. This is not good.

Jabroni
12-12-2004, 02:34 AM
Told you that sig brings bad luck. On rotoworld it says it looks like Hudson will either get traded to the Dodgers or the Orioles. It also says that Vazquez for Burnett is being talked about between Florida and the Yankees. This is not good.I'm sorry, I must have jinxed the White Sox. :rolleyes:

Jabroni
12-12-2004, 04:17 AM
White Sox | Interest In Big Unit Still There, But At A Certain Price - from www.KFFL.com (http://www.kffl.com/)
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:52:19 -0800

The Chicago Tribune's Bob Foltman reports there is still interest in bringing Arizona Diamondbacks SP Randy Johnson to the Chicago White Sox. It is believed the White Sox would offer 1B Paul Konerko to the Diamondbacks if Johnson comes to Chicago.:supernana:

Flight #24
12-12-2004, 08:21 AM
White Sox | Interest In Big Unit Still There, But At A Certain Price - from www.KFFL.com (http://www.kffl.com/)
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:52:19 -0800

The Chicago Tribune's Bob Foltman reports there is still interest in bringing Arizona Diamondbacks SP Randy Johnson to the Chicago White Sox. It is believed the White Sox would offer 1B Paul Konerko to the Diamondbacks if Johnson comes to Chicago. :supernana:
OK, so if I understand the rumors, they were:

Sox trade Konerko+Garland+prospects for Vazquez+cash

or....

Sox trade Konerko for RJ

Anyone else look at that and go :?:?

I'd love it, and maybe with their signings & the Yanks moves the DBacks have backed themselves into a corner. But that would be awesome. Hell - Koney+Anderson for RJ would be awesome.

Tragg
12-12-2004, 08:28 AM
I don't think Lee could be used to get Hudson. I am pretty sure they are looking for a 2B.
Regardless, what sense does it make to give up Lee in order to rent Hudson for one year? Not much, imo

MRKARNO
12-12-2004, 09:22 AM
I dont get why Kenny is so willing to give up on Garland unless he knows something about Brandon McCarthy's readiness for next year that none of us know right now. It was mentioned in the Sun Times article that he might be a candidate for the 5th starter spot on opening day. I cant believe that Kenny would go in their with Grilli, a guy who in his best start still yielded 4 runs (on 8 innings) and who always had major trouble in the first. KW better have a contingency plan that is not the Grilli plan if we trade Garland. Maybe the reason they didnt send McCarthy to the AFL was to have him prepared to start in the rotation this year? Time will tell...

munchman33
12-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Rotoworld is now reporting that we are trying again to get Johnson (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=4288), and we're using Carlos Lee instead.They also point out that Randy never actually went out and said he won't come here.

MRKARNO
12-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Rotoworld is now reporting that we are trying again to get Johnson (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=4288), and we're using Carlos Lee instead.They also point out that Randy never actually went out and said he won't come here.
And quite frankly if you're given a choice between the Cardinals, Yankees and White Sox, which do you think would be at the bottom of the list if you were a hall of fame-bound pitcher?

munchman33
12-12-2004, 10:07 AM
And quite frankly if you're given a choice between the Cardinals, Yankees and White Sox, which do you think would be at the bottom of the list if you were a hall of fame-bound pitcher?
True. But it now appears his options are White Sox or Diamondbacks. Signings or no signings, the White Sox are in a much better position to contend than the Diamondbacks are. Talent-wise, we're about even if Johnson stays there. But That N.L. west can put great teams in last.

Jjav829
12-12-2004, 10:14 AM
True. But it now appears his options are White Sox or Diamondbacks. Signings or no signings, the White Sox are in a much better position to contend than the Diamondbacks are. Talent-wise, we're about even if Johnson stays there. But That N.L. west can put great teams in last.
The Cards might not be out of it. If they lose out on Renteria, they are going to turn their attention to pitching. That could put them back in the RJ race. I wouldn't count out the Yankees yet either.

Soxfest
12-12-2004, 10:22 AM
RJ will not pitch for us only here for a 3 way with evil empire.

munchman33
12-12-2004, 10:22 AM
The Cards might not be out of it. If they lose out on Renteria, they are going to turn their attention to pitching. That could put them back in the RJ race. I wouldn't count out the Yankees yet either.
I think if Kenny says he'll give CLee, and not expect cash back (I know, big if), he'll be ours. The Diamondbacks have an offer for Matt Clement on the table that they expect him to accept, but they cannot pull the trigger unless they trade Johnson.

Flight #24
12-12-2004, 10:44 AM
I think if Kenny says he'll give CLee, and not expect cash back (I know, big if), he'll be ours. The Diamondbacks have an offer for Matt Clement on the table that they expect him to accept, but they cannot pull the trigger unless they trade Johnson.
I don't see CLee straight up happening, not when the alternative wa supposedly Garland+Konerko.

It'll have to be CLee+prospects or even (shudder) CLee+Garland+prospects.

I'd do CLee+1 prospect not named BMac. Otherwise, they can keep him.

Jurr
12-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Some various quotes from different papers:

IN ARIZONA:
"That could a reality if the Diamondbacks can't get what they believe is fair market value for Johnson, a primary target of the New York Yankees.

The Chicago White Sox, however, have re-entered the sweepstakes and could provide a better match.

The White Sox also have deals with other teams that could crystallize if they can't land Johnson.

"As we've said, we're sensitive to Randy's feelings and have felt it appropriate to listen to interested organizations," Moorad said. "We'll continue to do that and be mindful of the fact that it appears we don't match up with Randy's first choice."

IN NEW YORK:

"Although nothing appears imminent, there has been considerable interest in Javier Vazquez, with one source saying that White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has been pushing other team officials to try to bring the righthander to Chicago. The White Sox had been mentioned in reports about a three-way deal involving Arizona that would send Randy Johnson to the Bronx, and White Sox officials are still holding out hope that such a blockbuster might come to fruition, according to a person with knowledge of the team's thinking"

AND FROM KW:

"Asked on Saturday whether there's a possibility Johnson could come to the
Sox, Williams said, "It's best I don't comment on that today."

What in the hell is going on??? Could we possibly be getting Randy Johnson?
I'm still not sold on the idea of what we'd lose to have him (long term), but the short term prognosis (for this season) could be wild.

Mickster
12-12-2004, 11:17 AM
OK, so if I understand the rumors, they were:

Sox trade Konerko+Garland+prospects for Vazquez+cash

or....

Sox trade Konerko for RJ

Anyone else look at that and go :?:?

I'd love it, and maybe with their signings & the Yanks moves the DBacks have backed themselves into a corner. But that would be awesome. Hell - Koney+Anderson for RJ would be awesome.
Two things to note. First, AZ was shooting sky high early on in their request for players for RJ. Ask for the stars and settle for less. Lastly, all of the NYY and Sox offers for RJ were held with the premise that AZ is seriously hurting for cash and desperately needed financial relief. Then they go on to sign Ortiz and Glaus to ridiculous contracts (IMHO) and that might change things in the eyes of the NYY and the Sox. All of this is speculation.....

FightingBillini
12-12-2004, 11:21 AM
There there, Jurr. The ramifications of Johnson coming here would be unbelievable. We would be a major market team again. We would get lots and lots of press. We would be the lead story of sports center, and the back page headline in every sports section. You would have to go on a four month waiting list and Grandstand to get a Johnson jersey, becuase they would be flooded with calls as soon as he was traded here. More season tickets would sell. We would win a lot more games. Revenue would be up. It would be a great summer on the south side. I see a video montage where after every win, the fans high fiving, followed by Reinsdorf throwing more and more money up into the air every time, laughing and kissing a stack of $100 bills. Everyone would be happy. We would be winning, and at the trade deadline Uncle Jerry would give Kenny an extra $10mil to spend to make the team perfect. We would get into the playoffs and.......

Ok, sorry, I had to stop myself. While it would be a dream landing Johnson, I wont believe it until I see KW at the press conference with a big smile on his face. So many rumors flying around, I will just wait. I will relax and :gulp: , completely ignoring the fact that I have finals this week.

nitetrain8601
12-12-2004, 11:26 AM
The move would send the baseball world into a frenzy. We would finally get possibly the biggest name pitcher in baseball on the southside. Think about the rotation:

Johnson
Garcia
Buehrle
Contreras
Grili/Diaz/Possible FA signing

Brian26
12-12-2004, 11:29 AM
The move would send the baseball world into a frenzy. We would finally get possibly the biggest name pitcher in baseball on the southside. Think about the rotation:

Johnson
Garcia
Buehrle
Contreras
Grili/Diaz/Possible FA signing
LOL. After ALL OF THAT, we STILL don't have a fifth starter! :D:

OEO Magglio
12-12-2004, 11:31 AM
LOL. After ALL OF THAT, we STILL don't have a fifth starter! :D:
If the sox got rj(which I will refuse to believe until it happens) look for them to maybe sign Chacon to be the 5th starter.

BRDSR
12-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Ok, sorry, I had to stop myself. While it would be a dream landing Johnson, I wont believe it until I see KW at the press conference with a big smile on his face. So many rumors flying around, I will just wait. I will relax and :gulp: , completely ignoring the fact that I have finals this week.
Oh my Holy God. We have finals this week? Man, I gotta stop reading WSI 8 hours a day!

Flight #24
12-12-2004, 11:32 AM
If the sox got rj(which I will refuse to believe until it happens) look for them to maybe sign Chacon to be the 5th starter.
Chacon, Shoney, Wilson Alvarez, Grilli, Diaz, BMac - there are anumber of options for #5. Obviously we'd prefer something better, but I think if they get one guy and stick with him for more than 1-2 starts, we can get by. Especially if the top 4 are as studly as they look to be if we get RJ.

nitetrain8601
12-12-2004, 11:40 AM
What about El Duque as a #5. The Yankees as reported by rotoworld, said it is highly unlikely that they'll resign him. Remember, this isn't to be a number 3 starter, it's to be a number 5 starter.

Tragg
12-12-2004, 01:15 PM
They sign Ortiz, they sign Glaus; seems like they are ready to try to win again. Why would they want to trade Johnson or why would Johnson demand a trade?

nitetrain8601
12-12-2004, 01:21 PM
They want to sign Clement and Randy has said he doesn't want to play there. Their team still isn't that strong with those players. The Sexson deal killed them.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2004, 01:49 PM
What about El Duque as a #5. The Yankees as reported by rotoworld, said it is highly unlikely that they'll resign him. Remember, this isn't to be a number 3 starter, it's to be a number 5 starter.
Ozzie Guillen came out and said that he thinks of Jon Garland as a #5 and would not want him any higher than that.

That being said, is Jose Contreras a # 3? No, I think of him as a # 4 or # 5.

So in the end, you are looking for a # 3 if you're going to bring in a starter. Why settle for just enough?

nitetrain8601
12-12-2004, 01:52 PM
Ozzie Guillen came out and said that he thinks of Jon Garland as a #5 and would not want him any higher than that.

That being said, is Jose Contreras a # 3? No, I think of him as a # 4 or # 5.

So in the end, you are looking for a # 3 if you're going to bring in a starter. Why settle for just enough?
I meant if we do trade Garland in a deal that bring RJ.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2004, 01:59 PM
I meant if we do trade Garland in a deal that bring RJ.
Oh, ok, what's going on with that, are there new rumors going around today that talks are back between the Sox and AZ?

nitetrain8601
12-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Oh, ok, what's going on with that, are there new rumors going around today that talks are back between the Sox and AZ?
It looks like RJ has a choice of either the White Sox or the Yanks. The Yanks are ready to trade Vazquez to the Marlins for Burnett and the Dodgers are going after Hudson(a deal is in place). ARZ officials met last night with Randy's agent.

Navaro's Talent
12-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Javier Vazquez doesn't even want to come here (or any place else for that matter), so who knows if that would even be a good idea. Would the Sox get along with a guy who didn't even want to be here in the first place? Here is the link for you guys:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20041212&content_id=921410&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

I would love to see Johnson in a White Sox uniform. I don't want to give up Carlos Lee to get him, but Konerko and Garland seems fair. I wonder if we could get away with just Konerko and a prospect (NOT McCarthy!)?

This way, if we get Johnson, we can maybe sign Chacon to be the number five starter. I don't want to send McCarthy out there too early in his short career, so I'd be more comfortable with Chacon. Schoenweis is still a possibility, but I'm not sold because who knows how strong his arm will be throughout all of next season?

I don't want Grilli touching a baseball for the Sox next year, unless he wants to be a ball boy in the outfield. I don't want Shawn Estes either. I wouldn't mind Wilson Alverez, though. The only thing to worry about there is can he stay healthy?

SoxxoS
12-12-2004, 02:40 PM
It didn't say anywhere in that article that he didn't want to play for the Sox. Don't know where you got that.

nitetrain8601
12-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Javier Vazquez doesn't even want to come here (or any place else for that matter), so who knows if that would even be a good idea. Would the Sox get along with a guy who didn't even want to be here in the first place? Here is the link for you guys:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20041212&content_id=921410&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

I would love to see Johnson in a White Sox uniform. I don't want to give up Carlos Lee to get him, but Konerko and Garland seems fair. I wonder if we could get away with just Konerko and a prospect (NOT McCarthy!)?

This way, if we get Johnson, we can maybe sign Chacon to be the number five starter. I don't want to send McCarthy out there too early in his short career, so I'd be more comfortable with Chacon. Schoenweis is still a possibility, but I'm not sold because who knows how strong his arm will be throughout all of next season?

I don't want Grilli touching a baseball for the Sox next year, unless he wants to be a ball boy in the outfield. I don't want Shawn Estes either. I wouldn't mind Wilson Alverez, though. The only thing to worry about there is can he stay healthy?
He just says he would be dissapointed if he were traded. Lots of players feel this way.

MRKARNO
12-12-2004, 03:22 PM

I wouldnt have a problem giving up just Lee and a prospect not named Sweeney, Anderson or McCarthy. If KW gave up McCarthy, I would probably be pissed enough to say that KW should be fired and I dont use that lightly like many others here do. I would even venture to say that we could give up Konerko and Garland and maybe Rogowski or a prospect on a similar level (Tracy maybe?) and then fill the fifth starters' spot with McCarthy.

Flight #24
12-12-2004, 03:44 PM
I wouldnt have a problem giving up just Lee and a prospect not named Sweeney, Anderson or McCarthy. If KW gave up McCarthy, I would probably be pissed enough to say that KW should be fired and I dont use that lightly like many others here do. I would even venture to say that we could give up Konerko and Garland and maybe Rogowski or a prospect on a similar level (Tracy maybe?) and then fill the fifth starters' spot with McCarthy.
If you can give up Konerko+Garland+prospect not named Anderson/Sweeney/Bmac for RJ? Run, don't walk to the phone.

santo=dorf
12-12-2004, 03:57 PM
If you can give up Konerko+Garland+prospect not named Anderson/Sweeney/Bmac for RJ? Run, don't walk to the phone.
Cbssportsline ran a story on the 6th about the RJ trade and mentioned how the White Sox could give up Konerko, Garland, and Anderson or Joe Borchard. :o:

Can we really afford to give up Joe B?

princek
12-12-2004, 04:03 PM

It states in this story that Vazquez could also demand a trade after one year if he wanted to , that would be a disaster.

Flight #24
12-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Cbssportsline ran a story on the 6th about the RJ trade and mentioned how the White Sox could give up Konerko, Garland, and Anderson or Joe Borchard. :o:

Can we really afford to give up Joe B?
If that happened, we'd have go find a bigger 'nana.:supernana: