PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Chicago is recognizing Maggs...

nitetrain8601
12-10-2004, 10:21 PM
is being an *******. I was watching Comcast Sportsnet and Willie Jackson was saying that Maggs is desperately trying to catch on with the Cubs and trying to get them to call him.

Earlier in the day on Tribune Live all panelists agreed that it's probably Boras talking on Maggs' part. They also think it's BS how he said the Sox aren't trying to win. Rick Morrisey pointed out that he should know the Sox don't have a huge payroll and to say they're not trying is wrong because KW has been trying to add pieces without subtracting pieces(only one he could really think of was the Freddy G trade). It looks like the Chicago Media is catching on to what Maggs' trying to do.

SpartanSoxFan
12-10-2004, 10:37 PM
is being an *******. I was watching Comcast Sportsnet and Willie Jackson was saying that Maggs is desperately trying to catch on with the Cubs and trying to get them to call him.

Earlier in the day on Tribune Live all panelists agreed that it's probably Boras talking on Maggs' part. They also think it's BS how he said the Sox aren't trying to win. Rick Morrisey pointed out that he should know the Sox don't have a huge payroll and to say they're not trying is wrong because KW has been trying to add pieces without subtracting pieces(only one he could really think of was the Freddy G trade). It looks like the Chicago Media is catching on to what Maggs' trying to do.Comcast SportsNet panelists are taking our side??? Could this mean that Comcast is buying the team?!?! Yayyyy Christmas is here early!!!!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:
:wired: :wired: :wired: :wired:

nitetrain8601
12-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Comcast SportsNet panelists are taking our side??? Could this mean that Comcast is buying the team?!?! Yayyyy Christmas is here early!!!!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:
:wired: :wired: :wired: :wired:
Not only are they buying the team, they're building us two brand new seperate stadiums(one with a dome and one without) and we'll get our own huge national television contract. ComCast Superstation. Your New Home For the White Sox.

DrCrawdad
12-10-2004, 11:20 PM
Great column by Mike Downey over at ChicagoSports.com!

Magglio, you greedy bastard! And that greed now my have come back and bite you on the bum.

Viva Magglio
12-10-2004, 11:28 PM

Earlier in the day on Tribune Live all panelists agreed that it's probably Boras talking on Maggs' part. They also think it's BS how he said the Sox aren't trying to win. Rick Morrisey pointed out that he should know the Sox don't have a huge payroll and to say they're not trying is wrong because KW has been trying to add pieces without subtracting pieces(only one he could really think of was the Freddy G trade). It looks like the Chicago Media is catching on to what Maggs' trying to do.
Someone please summarize what Fred Huebner, one of our guys, said on that show regarding this.

SpartanSoxFan
12-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Not only are they buying the team, they're building us two brand new seperate stadiums(one with a dome and one without) and we'll get our own huge national television contract. ComCast Superstation. Your New Home For the White Sox.
:cheers: :thumbsup: :Rocker:

SpartanSoxFan
12-10-2004, 11:48 PM

Magglio, you greedy bastard! And that greed now my have come back and bite you on the bum.
I will admit I'm not the biggest fan of Mike Downey...but what was the main idea he was trying to get across???

Palehose Pete
12-11-2004, 12:11 AM
I will admit I'm not the biggest fan of Mike Downey...but what was the main idea he was trying to get across???

Teal isn't required for a remark that sarcastic.

I also liked Downey's swipe at the Tribune for not being objective in their coverage of the Dye acquisition. I've always liked that Downey.

LASOXFAN
12-11-2004, 12:18 AM

would you be burying the guy if his knee were still healthy, if he had completed what could have become an MVP season? Clearly the one thing that stuck with Mags were the trade rumors last winter. And I for one don't blame him for being pissed about it. He's a cornerstone player, a guy you lock up for your team and your fans. And they pissed on him. You call Mags greedy as if Jerry's in line at the soup kitchen or foregoing any profits for the sake of the team. I hope Mags does sign on the north side and fully recovers. He'll be a persistent and painful reminder to us all of what a total a****** jerry reinsdorf is. I wish him the best - he's a great, great baseball player. If he didn't care about the time he spent with the Sox, you think he'd be griping? If he was happy to be gone he'd be smiling and saying nice things.

nitetrain8601
12-11-2004, 12:20 AM
would you be burying the guy if his knee were still healthy, if he had completed what could have become an MVP season? Clearly the one thing that stuck with Mags were the trade rumors last winter. And I for one don't blame him for being pissed about it. He's a cornerstone player, a guy you lock up for your team and your fans. And they pissed on him. You call Mags greedy as if Jerry's in line at the soup kitchen or foregoing any profits for the sake of the team. I hope Mags does sign on the north side and fully recovers. He'll be a persistent and painful reminder to us all of what a total a****** jerry reinsdorf is. I wish him the best - he's a great, great baseball player. If he didn't care about the time he spent with the Sox, you think he'd be griping? If he was happy to be gone he'd be smiling and saying nice things.
He's doing it for the money. It's sooo sad you can't see that. He even said he was scared he wouldn't ever play again. Look at the thread in the Talking Baseball section.

ilsox7
12-11-2004, 12:22 AM
would you be burying the guy if his knee were still healthy, if he had completed what could have become an MVP season? Clearly the one thing that stuck with Mags were the trade rumors last winter. And I for one don't blame him for being pissed about it. He's a cornerstone player, a guy you lock up for your team and your fans. And they pissed on him. You call Mags greedy as if Jerry's in line at the soup kitchen or foregoing any profits for the sake of the team. I hope Mags does sign on the north side and fully recovers. He'll be a persistent and painful reminder to us all of what a total a****** jerry reinsdorf is. I wish him the best - he's a great, great baseball player. If he didn't care about the time he spent with the Sox, you think he'd be griping? If he was happy to be gone he'd be smiling and saying nice things. About 98% of players are mentioned in trades or actually traded...it's a frickin business. Apparently the 65 or 70 million offered to Maggs wasn't appreciation enough? C'mon, Maggs handled his injury as bad as he possibly could have. JR is usually wrong, but in this case he was actually smart. No way in hell do you give 70 million to a guy who secretly had surgery and INTENTIONALLY kept if from you and then REFUSED to let you examine the knee. Gee, I wonder if something is wrong there? If you think all is good about how Maggs handled this, I got some great swamp land in Florida I am selling...

LASOXFAN
12-11-2004, 12:31 AM
About 98% of players are mentioned in trades or actually traded...it's a frickin business. Apparently the 65 or 70 million offered to Maggs wasn't appreciation enough? C'mon, Maggs handled his injury as bad as he possibly could have. JR is usually wrong, but in this case he was actually smart. No way in hell do you give 70 million to a guy who secretly had surgery and INTENTIONALLY kept if from you and then REFUSED to let you examine the knee. Gee, I wonder if something is wrong there? If you think all is good about how Maggs handled this, I got some great swamp land in Florida I am selling...i LOVE swamp land! how much? do you take personal checks?

StillMissOzzie
12-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Clearly the one thing that stuck with Mags were the trade rumors last winter.
And if he did get traded to the BoSox, he'd have a WS ring now. Tough break.

SMO
:gulp:

TDog
12-11-2004, 01:29 AM
would you be burying the guy if his knee were still healthy, if he had completed what could have become an MVP season? ....
Please. I didn't read the column in question. I don't read any sports columns. (Talk about a job where you don't have to work for a living.) Life is too short to waste the time. Regardless, I can say that I think the knee is the issue. I'm sure the Sox would have offerered him arbitration if he were still healthy, if he had completed what could have become an MVP season.

I haven't read all of the posts concerning Magglio Ordonez, so I apologize if this view has been shared. It is beginning to look to me like Boros/Ordonez expected the Sox to be offer arbitration to get the draft picks, expecting it to be turned down. I don't see any team giving Ordonez more than the least he would have made from arbitration.

Would the Cubs give Ordonez a better deal than they gave Garciapara?

Nellie_Fox
12-11-2004, 01:57 AM
I hope Mags does sign on the north side and fully recovers. He'll be a persistent and painful reminder to us all of what a total a****** jerry reinsdorf is. Then you can feel free to bite me. When your hatred for Reinsdorf starts making you wish for success for the Cubs and bad things for the White Sox, you have lost all perspective.

I'm sorry, but Maggs listened to the wrong people. The Sox offered him a great contract, and he turned it down. Then he got hurt. That's what happens.

FarWestChicago
12-11-2004, 02:35 AM
I hope Mags does sign on the north side and fully recovers.:crossdresser

I can easily change your username to LaLaLandFlubsFan. Let me know. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

I've about had it with all you goddamned FOLIPs. It's about time to start doing some serious whacking. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/angryfire.gif

LASOXFAN
12-11-2004, 02:43 AM
Then you can feel free to bite me. When your hatred for Reinsdorf starts making you wish for success for the Cubs and bad things for the White Sox, you have lost all perspective.

I'm sorry, but Maggs listened to the wrong people. The Sox offered him a great contract, and he turned it down. Then he got hurt. That's what happens.
and you can feel free to return the favor, just as soon as you show me the details of that more than generous contract that was offered to Mags which he selfishly shoved up our ends. Go ahead and take kenny and jerry at their word but do society a favor and put down the gun and step away from the pipe...nice and slow.

As for wishing the cubs success, please. You capitalized their name. I can't bring myself to do that.

Nellie_Fox
12-11-2004, 02:47 AM
As for wishing the cubs success, please. You capitalized their name. I can't bring myself to do that.You want Maggs to sign with the Cubs and do well in order to humiliate Sox management, and I'm wrong for capitalizing their name?

FarWestChicago
12-11-2004, 02:49 AM
and you can feel free to return the favor, just as soon as you show me the details of that more than generous contract that was offered to Mags which he selfishly shoved up our ends. Go ahead and take kenny and jerry at their word but do society a favor and put down the gun and step away from the pipe...nice and slow.

As for wishing the cubs success, please. You capitalized their name. I can't bring myself to do that.You seriously need to calm down. Come back in a couple of days.

Jabroni
12-11-2004, 03:00 AM
I've about had it with all you goddamned FOLIPs. It's about time to start doing some serious whacking. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/angryfire.gifYES, YES, BAN THEM ALL!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

MUsoxfan
12-11-2004, 03:25 AM
I hope Mags does sign on the north side and fully recovers.

That's a real good way to get people on this board to turn on you.

hosieryofthegods
12-11-2004, 05:43 AM
Does anybody here really need a reminder that Jerry is a ja*&^(^?:?:

I don't. Thanks for offering though.:D:

southsider17
12-11-2004, 07:44 AM
As for wishing the cubs success, please. You capitalized their name. I can't bring myself to do that.
I do that too (not capitalize)! No one has noticed that, though, or at least they haven't said anything.

BTW, I'm still learning this sites soxtalk ..... what is FOLIP?

Kilroy
12-11-2004, 07:59 AM

I'll take a shot at educating the 'tarded.

Even Ordonez himself acknowledges that he turned down Vlad money from the Sox. He was too greedy/stupid to accept any deferred money. After he turned that down, the Sox tried to trade his ass. If you can still blame the Sox for that, you're just not that smart, pal.

Mohoney
12-11-2004, 07:59 AM
I do that too (not capitalize)! No one has noticed that, though, or at least they haven't said anything.

BTW, I'm still learning this sites soxtalk ..... what is FOLIP?
I think it's "Friends of Lip".

Lip is not a fan of current ownership.

Mickster
12-11-2004, 08:39 AM
Then you can feel free to bite me. When your hatred for Reinsdorf starts making you wish for success for the Cubs and bad things for the White Sox, you have lost all perspective.

:thumbsup:

Realist
12-11-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm just going to think about the number of $70,000,000 (really stop and think about how much money that actually is for a couple of minutes). After that, I'm going to think about saying "no" to it because I believe I can get more than that away from home. Then I'm going to think of ways I can blame my family for not giving more and forcing me out of the house. After that I'm going to think about what kind of a man I would be by taking all these actions.

Of course I realize that everything is relative, but I have always been and always will be a man that believes that there's more to life than money. I have always pitied and will continue to pity anyone that believes otherwise.

$70,000,000? Isn't that sorta like winning the Lottery 3 times?? The mind begins to swim in the face of such numbers.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-11-2004, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't say Maggs "listened to the wrong people" (as JR wrongly stated) as much as Maggs rolled the dice to get an even fatter contract and it came up snake eyes. He took a chance and lost. **** happens... tough luck.

Boras is a master of negotiating for his players because he pegs his demands not on where the market is in the fall and winter, but where he anticipates the market to be next spring. It's a winning formula because average salaries have continued to climb on a nearly unbroken line for nearly 30+ years. He knows salary arbitration awards tend to drive free agent prices higher, and vice versa, too. Boras and his clients generally benefit.

Of course there is a downside to this aggressive strategy. Boras is so aggressive, he sometimes leaves clients with few signing options after he has overplayed his hand. It's still too early to know for sure, but it is beginning to look like nobody is much interested in signing Maggs. Boras's best hope is some outfielder gets a fat salary increase in arbitration next month and drives the whole market upwards. However Maggs will almost certainly need to sign a short-term contract filled with lots of bonus incentives.

Short-term bonus incentive contracts are a specialty of the White Sox (see Lofton, Kenny), yet Boras overplayed his hand and now Maggs will have to get the same terms from some other team. Sucks to be him...

Sucks to be a Sox Fan, too... we have no plans for replacing Maggs' bat. We're doomed to mediocrity with the current direction from the front office.

Deadguy
12-11-2004, 09:11 AM
Magglio is lashing out at the Sox because he is mired in grief and self pity. Instead of looking in the mirror and accepting the loss of 10s of millions of dollars that he cost himself, he has decided to look outward to cast the blame.

It began with the firing of his agent, and has culminated with lashing out at the Sox.

Get your life together Magglio. Rehabilitate your injuries and prove the Sox wrong, by signing elsewhere, and becoming a solid player again. The White Sox had every right to "lowball" you, just like players have the right to blow off the organization that gave them their start, and go for the money. It is a business, afterall.

Flight #24
12-11-2004, 09:13 AM
Short-term bonus incentive contracts are a specialty of the White Sox (see Lofton, Kenny), yet Boras overplayed his hand and now Maggs will have to get the same terms from some other team. Sucks to be him...

What would be extremely interesting would be for KW to reach out to Maggs (quietly), and offer exactly that sort of deal, to be signed 5/1 (or whenever the date is that they can resign him). Until that time, Maggs can use the Sox rehab & training facilities. Talk up how Maggs is part of the "Sox family", and despite the last few days statements, they won't turn their backs on him. Plus, if Maggs is going to make a comeback, it should be with the Sox. Hopefully, Maggs would still rather take that sort of deal form the team & org that he knows and is presumably comfortable with than elsewhere. Assuming of course, he can't get anything better.

Low-risk/high reward is, as you say - one of their specialties. And IMO it would provide significant positive PR for the org in the media and among players.

I'd guess it's too far gone for that, but it would be nice to see.

DumpJerry
12-11-2004, 09:48 AM
And if he did get traded to the BoSox, he'd have a WS ring now. Tough break.

SMO
:gulp:Took the words out of my mouth, errr, keyboard. Enough of the whining, Maggs!

voodoochile
12-11-2004, 12:13 PM
What would be extremely interesting would be for KW to reach out to Maggs (quietly), and offer exactly that sort of deal, to be signed 5/1 (or whenever the date is that they can resign him). Until that time, Maggs can use the Sox rehab & training facilities. Talk up how Maggs is part of the "Sox family", and despite the last few days statements, they won't turn their backs on him. Plus, if Maggs is going to make a comeback, it should be with the Sox. Hopefully, Maggs would still rather take that sort of deal form the team & org that he knows and is presumably comfortable with than elsewhere. Assuming of course, he can't get anything better.

Low-risk/high reward is, as you say - one of their specialties. And IMO it would provide significant positive PR for the org in the media and among players.

I'd guess it's too far gone for that, but it would be nice to see.
I expect some team will take a gamble on Maggs long before then, but what are the rules covering this issue in the CBA? Can the Sox even present an offer that becomes valid on 5/1 or are they prohibited from even negotiating with him?

Flight #24
12-11-2004, 12:32 PM
I expect some team will take a gamble on Maggs long before then, but what are the rules covering this issue in the CBA? Can the Sox even present an offer that becomes valid on 5/1 or are they prohibited from even negotiating with him?
I thought he couldn't resign with the team before then. There's no way he won't get some sort of offer before that, but if the Sox tell him that they'll do the incentive deal as of 5/1, then he MIGHT be wiling to hold out until then.

Lip Man 1
12-11-2004, 12:37 PM
According to a story today the Sox were considering releasing the details of their offer to Maggs but decided against it.

Without sarcasm why? If they thing it was genuinely fair even with the deferred money then the fans and media would take their side and they could blunt the negative PR.

Basically what do they have to hide? What do they have to lose?

I would have liked to see the details of the 'offer' and judge for myself.

Lip

PaulDrake
12-11-2004, 12:43 PM
According to a story today the Sox were considering releasing the details of their offer to Maggs but decided against it.

Without sarcasm why? If they thing it was genuinely fair even with the deferred money then the fans and media would take their side and they could blunt the negative PR.

Lip Me too. This is the starting point of the controversy. If the offer was truly fair for a player of Maggs caliber then why hide it? Perhaps legal ramifications? Maggs could say that this further damages his marketability? I don't know. Still, as of today I don't believe the Sox really and truly wanted to sign him. If Carlos Lee gets traded for a basket of beans and a player to be named later it will further convince me.

voodoochile
12-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Me too. This is the starting point of the controversy. If the offer was truly fair for a player of Maggs caliber then why hide it? Perhaps legal ramifications? Maggs could say that this further damages his marketability? I don't know. Still, as of today I don't believe the Sox really and truly wanted to sign him. If Carlos Lee gets traded for a basket of beans and a player to be named later it will further convince me.
They probably don't want Carlos to turn around next year and say, "I want Magglio's contract."

They also will have to deal with the ill-will it might generate with Frank.

DumpJerry
12-11-2004, 02:13 PM

LipIf I were the Sox management, I would not release it either. This tells all players that we will deal with them in a discrete and professional manner and they don't have to worry about us airing out the dirty laundry in a fit of spite.

What would we gain if the Sox released the proposed contract? Nothing but more angry postings about Maggs and Borassss

Nick@Nite
12-11-2004, 03:38 PM
What would we gain if the Sox released the proposed contract? Nothing but more angry postings about Maggs and Borassss
The military calls that making the rubble bounce.

Ol' No. 2
12-11-2004, 04:20 PM
I thought he couldn't resign with the team before then. There's no way he won't get some sort of offer before that, but if the Sox tell him that they'll do the incentive deal as of 5/1, then he MIGHT be wiling to hold out until then.They can't even negotiate with him.

If the former Club of the free agent does not so offer, it shall not be entitled and shall lose all rights to negotiate with, and sign, the free agent, until the succeeding May 1.

munchman33
12-11-2004, 04:22 PM

Lip
Lip: Is there an offer they could say that would make you respond positively to them?

StillMissOzzie
12-11-2004, 04:38 PM
The military calls that making the rubble bounce.
The miltary equivalent of beating a dead horse? While I'd love to see the offer the Sox made myself, I would prefer that they not release it. It's time for the Sox brass to retain some semblance of dignity and professionalism in this mess.

SMO
:gulp:
Beer tasting at Famous Liquors today!

Lip Man 1
12-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Munch:

Because releasing the offer would clear up the important question of DEFERRED MONEY, how much and for how long.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
12-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Munch:

Because releasing the offer would clear up the important question of DEFERRED MONEY, how much and for how long.

Lip
Strictly water on the bridge. They didn't agree to jack ****. All the bellyaching about who was wronged is of no consequence *unless* somebody wants to back it up.

If Maggs or his weasel agent want to release the terms they didn't accept, there is absolutely nothing stopping them. I guarantee they would make themselves national laughingstocks because the deal Maggs eventually has to settle for won't be anywhere near what Maggs could have accepted from the Sox last summer. Don't forget the Sox haven't pulled that punch yet.

Boras isn't dumb. No way he makes himself or his client look like an idiot. Meanwhile the Sox are taking the high road to not continue this pissing match that you would advise them to make, rolling in the mud to prove a point that is utterly moot.

He ain't comin' back and no "point" can be made to change this. Deal with it.