PDA

View Full Version : Someone please explain the Sox money situation.

MikeKreevich
12-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Would someone explain why Kenny Williams is saying the White Sox don't have any more money for free agents. Serious answers please. How much money was freed up with Maggs, Manos and others leaving? It's gotta be 20 million a year or more. Hermanson and Dye couldn't account for half of that.

Jjav829
12-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Find one of the countless other threads that explains this. That money has been spent on adding Garcia and Contreras as well as salary raises for players like Garland, Buehrle, Thomas, Uribe, Rowand, etc.

Along these lines, Bruce Levine was talking about the Sox payroll. I was going to post this earlier in a new thread but I actually had work to do so now I'll just use this thread. Levine was talking about the Sox payroll and said that at this point, Kenny is not exploring free agent options. He is looking to make a trade for a pitcher (he only mentioned Vazquez, nothing on Hudson/Zito) right now by exchanging some salaries. If he isn't able to get a trade done this weekend, then he'll look back into free agent options. What kind of free agent options, I don't know. But by the time the meeting end on Monday, the rest of the big name pitchers such as Clement and Perez may have been snatched up.

johnny_mostil
12-10-2004, 06:08 PM
Would someone explain why Kenny Williams is saying the White Sox don't have any more money for free agents. Serious answers please. How much money was freed up with Maggs, Manos and others leaving? It's gotta be 20 million a year or more. Hermanson and Dye couldn't account for half of that.
Rowand and Garland are getting major raises, and there are several other players with escalating contracts. A million here, a million there...

OurBitchinMinny
12-10-2004, 06:26 PM

Well there have been some raises, but that still doesnt explain why their payroll will most like be less than 70 million. I guess JR has all his money tied up in the great franchise playing a the UC this winter.

Ol' No. 2
12-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Would someone explain why Kenny Williams is saying the White Sox don't have any more money for free agents. Serious answers please. How much money was freed up with Maggs, Manos and others leaving? It's gotta be 20 million a year or more. Hermanson and Dye couldn't account for half of that.The short answer is the payroll as of right now is about $70M. Their absolute top end may be as high as $75M, but that would probably be only to get an impact player.

batmanZoSo
12-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Someone please explain quantum physics.

Paulwny
12-10-2004, 06:59 PM
The short answer is the payroll as of right now is about $70M. Their absolute top end may be as high as $75M, but that would probably be only to get an impact player.

You're not getting a fa impact player for $5mil, you still need to trade players.

Ol' No. 2
12-10-2004, 07:27 PM
You're not getting a fa impact player for $5mil, you still need to trade players.I didn't say you could.

Paulwny
12-10-2004, 07:46 PM
I didn't say you could.
But, you did make it appear that way.

Ol' No. 2
12-10-2004, 07:54 PM
But, you did make it appear that way.Only if you read that into it. Read it again.

Hitmen77
12-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Aren't the Sox getting more revenue money from increased ticket prices and their new TV deal with Comcast?

Ol' No. 2
12-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Aren't the Sox getting more revenue money from increased ticket prices and their new TV deal with Comcast?Most of that money is expected future revenues. If attendance goes south, they may never materialize. For better or for worse, Reinsdorf has always played it conservatively, not spending money until he has it in hand. Think of it as the raise you hope to get next year. How comfortable would you be committing to a long-term obligation on the expectation of that raise? Most people will wait until they have it before they start spending it.

ondafarm
12-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Someone please explain quantum physics.
Heisenberg may have slept here!!!:cool:

MisterB
12-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Heisenberg may have slept here!!!:cool:
I don't know, you can never be certain of that guy....