PDA

View Full Version : This is why KW has no more $$ to spend!!

GiveMeSox
12-10-2004, 03:14 PM
The reason is becuase money freed up has already been replaced with money spent. OK lets see how much $$ was free'd up.

Maggs - 14
Koch - 6.375
Jose - 5
Loiaza - 4
S Alomar - .85

Sum = 30.225 mil

Now lets look add who KW has added.

Garcia - 9
Contreras - 6 (9 But yanks paying 3)
Everett - 4
Hermensen - 2
Dye - 4

Sum = 25

Now lets add in the players raises from there contracts and who is going to get a raise via arbitration. Arbitration raises should be lets say an average of .5 mil.

Frank - 2 mil raise
Shingo - 1.5 mil raise
Pollite - .2 mil raise
Garland - 1.1 mil raise

Uribe -0.5 due arb raise
Crede -0.5 due arb raise
Davis - 0.5 due arb raise

Sum = 6.3

Total $$ Freed Up - 30.225 mil
Total $$ Spent - 31.3 mil

See how the dollars line up. Thats it were done unless we free up $ from a trade. And also this doens't show an increase in payroll from 04 at all. It shows that payroll will reamin the same, whatever the figure is from last year. Dont look for any more FA signings unless the team wants to increase payroll by at least 5 mil, which wont happen at all.

santo=dorf
12-10-2004, 03:17 PM
Garland got a $1.1 million raise, Freddy is making $8 million next season, Politte's raise is only $200,000 (new contract, they didn't pick up his option.)

GiveMeSox
12-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Garland got a $1.1 million raise, Freddy is making $8 million next season, Politte's raise is only $200,000 (new contract, they didn't pick up his option.)
Yeah my bad on the Garland thing, messed up the math. And your right on the Pollite thing too. Also Freddys contract is listed on dugout dollars as backloaded at 8, 9, then 10 mil over the 3 years. Its listed as 9 every year on the books or towards the cap. So which one is it, im confused.

http://dugoutdollars.blogspot.com/2003_12_28_dugoutdollars_archive.html

MHOUSE
12-10-2004, 08:20 PM
In my opinion, the Garcia, Hermanson, and Dye money is all well spent. Most of the raises are fair enough and deserved. I'm not sure I agree that Everett is worth $4 Million, but he had a player option so there's not much we can do about that. Contreras could turn out to be worth $6 million if he gets his head on straight, but otherwise that might be wasted money. So there is a kind of shaky $10 million worth between Everett and Contreras, that is a valid arguement.

I don't think you can say that Garcia isn't worth the $9 million or that getting Dye for $4-5 million isn't a good deal. You have to spend to get stuff bud.

LASOXFAN
12-11-2004, 12:10 AM
I'm not sure I agree that Everett is worth $4 Million.
He'll be on the DL on and off all season, still fat, slow and injured. KW's obsession with players like Carl and Robbie Alomar, guys WAY beyond their prime, just points yet again to what a total idiot he is. As if more proof were needed.

cornball
12-11-2004, 08:16 AM
It also does not show the increase in revenue from TV, ticket prices and MLB.

Why is the budget reletively the same as last year? Why not invest to create more revenue, more excitement ect?

Most teams talk about a World series win. Everyone in the media and the Sox management claims Dye is the perfect fit, personally and professionally. When I heard his statements about trying to help this team make the playoff and taking less money to be here, I realized they all were right.

This organization is satisfied to just make the playoffs, granted we have not done this often, but the goal should be to win it all!

gosox41
12-11-2004, 08:59 AM

Why is the budget reletively the same as last year? Why not invest to create more revenue, more excitement ect?

Most teams talk about a World series win. Everyone in the media and the Sox management claims Dye is the perfect fit, personally and professionally. When I heard his statements about trying to help this team make the playoff and taking less money to be here, I realized they all were right.

This organization is satisfied to just make the playoffs, granted we have not done this often, but the goal should be to win it all!
That is the goal. But you need to make the playoffs to have a shot at winning the World Series. And believe it or not, the playoffs do have some amount of luck to it. A team that has a great marathom season (say 100 wins) now needs to win 3 short series in a row to become champs. There is some luck involved in that process.

Bob

SSN721
12-11-2004, 09:06 AM
That is the goal. But you need to make the playoffs to have a shot at winning the World Series. And believe it or not, the playoffs do have some amount of luck to it. A team that has a great marathom season (say 100 wins) now needs to win 3 short series in a row to become champs. There is some luck involved in that process.

Bob
Agreed, I think too many people here knock the idea of at least making it to the playoffs first. A very necessary step to make it all the way.

gosox41
12-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Agreed, I think too many people here knock the idea of at least making it to the playoffs first. A very necessary step to make it all the way.
Maybe people need to be informed that since divisional play startet, no team has made it to the World Series without first making it to the playoffs.:D: :D:

Bob

Flight #24
12-11-2004, 09:16 AM

Payroll 2 years ago was IIRC, $55mil. Last year is was roughly $65mil (18% increase). If it is around $75mil this year (15%increase), we'll have seen an almost 50% increase over 2 years. If you want to argue that the base was too low, fine - but I'll bet that revenues/profits haven't gone up 50% in the past 2 years, so the relative increase in payroll has at the very least outstripped the growth in $$$ coming in.