PDA

View Full Version : If we could have an owner like this

kitekrazy
12-10-2004, 01:27 PM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/201062-2238-196.html

This is about Bob Irsay, the owner of the Indianapolis Colts. Indianapolis has the lowest amount of revenue in the NFL yet fields a winning team that's coming close to a Superbowl.

Also what's interesting is the ticket prices for a Colts game.

I've heard Kenny Williams talk about no money left for a major free agent. Nothing's new under the sun. I'd prefer to rebuild the organization instead of the cut and paste approach with minor league talent that gets cut in winter ball.

doublem23
12-10-2004, 01:29 PM
Revenue Sharing.

Comparing football payroll to baseball payroll is like apples to oranges.

bennyw41
12-10-2004, 01:30 PM

This is about Bob Irsay, the owner of the Indianapolis Colts. Indianapolis has the lowest amount of revenue in the NFL yet fields a winning team that's coming close to a Superbowl.

I've heard Kenny Williams talk about no money left for a major free agent. Nothing's new under the sun. I'd prefer to rebuild the organization instead of the cut and paste approach with minor league talent that gets cut in winter ball.
When did you hear Kenny Williams say there is no money left for a major free agent? I don't think Kenny has EVER made speclations on how much he is allowed or will spend in the offseason. Just another thread inorder to demonize management.:dtroll:

kittle42
12-10-2004, 01:51 PM
When did you hear Kenny Williams say there is no money left for a major free agent? I don't think Kenny has EVER made speclations on how much he is allowed or will spend in the offseason. Just another thread inorder to demonize management.:dtroll:
I believe this has been discussed on another thread. KW said something to the effect of "the Magglio moiney is all gone" and "we'd have to move money to take on money" in the papers. So our fellow poster is not lying.

bennyw41
12-10-2004, 01:55 PM
I believe this has been discussed on another thread. KW said something to the effect of "the Magglio moiney is all gone" and "we'd have to move money to take on money" in the papers. So our fellow poster is not lying.
I believe he was squelching the idea that just becaues maggs is gone, that we have all this spending money. Doesn't anyone else get sick of people demonizing the organization. I by no means agree with all they're decisions, but they aren't out to hurt the team intentionally.

voodoochile
12-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Revenue Sharing.

Comparing football payroll to baseball payroll is like apples to oranges.
Also to land their current group of stars, the Colts finished in the bottom 5 of the league something like 7 out of 10 years. I mean they have a history of top 5 picks going back for a decade including once having both the #1 and #2 picks in the same draft - landed them Steve "big bust" Entman and some linebacker who is no longer on the team.

kittle42
12-10-2004, 02:05 PM
I believe he was squelching the idea that just becaues maggs is gone, that we have all this spending money. Doesn't anyone else get sick of people demonizing the organization. I by no means agree with all they're decisions, but they aren't out to hurt the team intentionally.
No, they aren't out to "hurt the team" - I have no doubt JR wants to be "competitive" and even win a WS - he just chooses to try to catch lightning in a bottle (like the '03 Marlins) instead of establishing a solid winning team with excellent postseason chances because he wants to run his business in such a fashion that he creates an arbitrary payroll ceiling that will (my guess) assure him of being in the black each season no matter how the team does.

He isn't hurting the team intentionally, but he is hurting the fans (unintentionally or not).

Lip Man 1
12-10-2004, 02:08 PM
For what it's worth:

Williams is quoted in Chicago papers today saying the only money now available WITHOUT freeing up space (i.e. a trade) is for a 'bench player at the right price.'

Dye, Hemanson and the well is dry folks.

Lip

34 Inch Stick
12-10-2004, 02:26 PM

We have an owner who is very similar to Irsay. Irsay took an organization with long standing roots in the Baltimore community, a strong and loyal fan base, and historical significance to the NFL and ripped it from its home under cover of darkness to a city that promised him a stadium and sky boxes. This is, of course, what JR threatened to do before the state built him the new comiskey.

samram
12-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Also to land their current group of stars, the Colts finished in the bottom 5 of the league something like 7 out of 10 years. I mean they have a history of top 5 picks going back for a decade including once having both the #1 and #2 picks in the same draft - landed them Steve "big bust" Entman and some linebacker who is no longer on the team.
Was that Quentin Coriyatt (sp)?

Paulwny
12-10-2004, 02:43 PM
For what it's worth:

Williams is quoted in Chicago papers today saying the only money now available WITHOUT freeing up space (i.e. a trade) is for a 'bench player at the right price.'

Lip
Gee, too bad he made this statement. I'll miss the "let's sign Beltran, Pavano, Ortiz, etc posts. All pipe dreams with this team.

PaulDrake
12-10-2004, 02:45 PM
We have an owner who is very similar to Irsay. Irsay took an organization with long standing roots in the Baltimore community, a strong and loyal fan base, and historical significance to the NFL and ripped it from its home under cover of darkness to a city that promised him a stadium and sky boxes. This is, of course, what JR threatened to do before the state built him the new comiskey. I was wondering if anybody here remembered that. Don't wander into certain taverns in the Baltimore area and mention the name "Irsay" and expect to come out unscathed.

voodoochile
12-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Was that Quentin Coriyatt (sp)?
I believe it was. Great memory.

voodoochile
12-10-2004, 02:48 PM
I was wondering if anybody here remembered that. Don't wander into certain taverns in the Baltimore area and mention the name "Irsay" and expect to come out unscathed.
Or into Cleveland and mention Art Modell.

Baltimore made out okay in the long run...

Hangar18
12-10-2004, 03:34 PM
For what it's worth:

Lip
Is that right? Well, let me be the first to Predict yet ANOTHER 2nd Place
Finish then .........

MushMouth
12-10-2004, 04:05 PM
We have an owner who is very similar to Irsay. Irsay took an organization with long standing roots in the Baltimore community, a strong and loyal fan base, and historical significance to the NFL and ripped it from its home under cover of darkness to a city that promised him a stadium and sky boxes. This is, of course, what JR threatened to do before the state built him the new comiskey.

Let's be clear - The current owner had nothing to do with the move, he was a little high school punk when his drunken father moved the team. Jim Irsay has his own issues, but has more than once gone above and beyond what would be expected of the Indy market. Since bringing on Bill Polian, the Colts have done nothing but win - and now they've locked in a handful of their best players to attempt to bring a title to town.

That said - as someone noted, its very difficult to compare baseball with either of the other major-revenue sports.

kitekrazy
12-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Let's be clear - Since bringing on Bill Polian, the Colts have done nothing but win - and now they've locked in a handful of their best players to attempt to bring a title to town.

Glad to see someone finally gets the point. Outside of their player roster they have a quality organization.

I've always gotten the impression from Irsay that he will put his money where his mouth is.

As for Reinsdork-I've heard him say the word "competitive" on more than one occaision. He's the 2nd coming of Bill Wirtz.

If the Sox don't play the free agent market that's fine with me. At least have some youngsters who can fill in whose name is not Joe Borchard.

It just seems like they're doing nothing but patching holes in the Titanic.

ewokpelts
12-11-2004, 12:33 PM

I've heard Kenny Williams talk about no money left for a major free agent. Nothing's new under the sun. I'd prefer to rebuild the organization instead of the cut and paste approach with minor league talent that gets cut in winter ball.yeah...he's so great, he's threatening to move to LA. yeah.....great owner...same owner who moved the BALTIMORE colts to Indy, despite the community's love for teh team...they juist couldnt pay for a stadium....same grear owner wants a new stadium from indiana...they cant pay for it...
Gene

ewokpelts
12-11-2004, 12:35 PM
We have an owner who is very similar to Irsay. Irsay took an organization with long standing roots in the Baltimore community, a strong and loyal fan base, and historical significance to the NFL and ripped it from its home under cover of darkness to a city that promised him a stadium and sky boxes. This is, of course, what JR threatened to do before the state built him the new comiskey.actually...jerry all but packed the bags since tampa DID build a stadium.....these "great" owners are why pro sports are so "fan friendly"...
Gene