PDA

View Full Version : A feel-good Sox story at ChicagoSports.com

FJA
12-10-2004, 11:50 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-041210greenfield,1,5576622.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

BREAKING NEWS - Sox pick up family of four ...

Nice PR to counter all the Maggs business; resist the inclination be cynical about it.

Iwritecode
12-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Like most of the other "positive" threads around here this one will probably get shoved to the bottom but there are some great quotes in here:

So he directed his attention to the teams that did respond, which were the San Diego Padres, Anaheim Angels, Cleveland Indians, Toronto Blue Jays, New York Yankees and the White Sox. He's still waiting to hear from the Cubs.

The best, and most honest, may have been from the employee who argued that they should pick the White Sox because, "It would be too unbearable to be a Cubs fan."

The Wallins were given 47 separate reasons to become Sox fans. White Sox director of public relations Katie Kirby, who spearheaded the drive to bring the Wallins into the fold, said hundreds more have come in from other staffers.

"I've never hated (the Cubs), but I can see that's probably the direction I'm going to go if I'm going to be a White Sox fan," Wallin said. "You can't have them both."

:) :) :)

soxfan26
12-10-2004, 12:03 PM
He's still waiting to hear from the Cubs.Not a bad fluff piece :gulp:

nccwsfan
12-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Great story- kudos to the White Sox organization for recruiting new fans!

cheeses_h_rice
12-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Awesome story.

Way to go, White Sox staffers!

:gulp:

ode to veeck
12-10-2004, 12:16 PM
The best, and most honest, may have been from the employee who argued that they should pick the White Sox because, "It would be too unbearable to be a Cubs fan."

Can a Cubune quote become WSI post of the week?

santo=dorf
12-10-2004, 12:19 PM
:knue
"I thought I took that story down! The WSI technogeeks must have hacked into the system and reposted it."

SoxFan78
12-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Good job in brightening up this dreary day. I found it funny that the Phillies actually turned them down!

Rocky Soprano
12-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Thanks for sharing this, I REALLY need some good news.

sendimjoey
12-10-2004, 12:24 PM
More credit to Brooks Boyer, I think, even if he wasn't directly involved. He's changed the attitude over there.

bennyw41
12-10-2004, 12:32 PM
More credit to Brooks Boyer, I think, even if he wasn't directly involved. He's changed the attitude over there.Wrong. It is Jerry Reinsdorf's personal business policy to return all letters sent into the White Sox. It has been this way for a long long while. No credit for Brooks on this one. I know first hand that JR is responsible for filtering down this type of corporate culture.

munchman33
12-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Wrong. It is Jerry Reinsdorf's personal business policy to return all letters sent into the White Sox. It has been this way for a long long while. No credit for Brooks on this one. I know first hand that JR is responsible for filtering down this type of corporate culture.
That's true. Even my most vehemently hateful letters over the years got a response. And that was before I was a season ticket holder, so there's no favoritism in who get their letter answered. It seems to be across the board.

Tekijawa
12-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Nice Story but the $4.29 they spent on sending those 11 letters could have gone towards a fifth starter! Times is tight people!

Lip Man 1
12-10-2004, 01:24 PM
I thought it was a very good story and credit the Sox P.R. staffers for making a positive effort on this.

Does that balance out the latest media headlines coming out because of the Ordonez situation? I think not.

As far as Uncle Jerry answering letters that is true to some extent. I have many from him although in truth I don't know for a fact that he dictated them to his secretary or if she simply did it on her own.

They are signed by him but I have no way of knowing if it is his signature or a facsimile machine doing it.

Lip

bennyw41
12-10-2004, 02:33 PM
I thought it was a very good story and credit the Sox P.R. staffers for making a positive effort on this.

Does that balance out the latest media headlines coming out because of the Ordonez situation? I think not.

As far as Uncle Jerry answering letters that is true to some extent. I have many from him although in truth I don't know for a fact that he dictated them to his secretary or if she simply did it on her own.

They are signed by him but I have no way of knowing if it is his signature or a facsimile machine doing it.

Lip
His policy is that "every letter gets a response." I can't imagine he has enough time to personalize every angry letter.

Tekijawa
12-10-2004, 02:46 PM
His policy is that "every letter gets a response." I can't imagine he has enough time to personalize every angry letter.
Why do you think that there is a Pitcher that loses 4-5 MPH off their fastball each year?

:reinsy
"Sign Faster Jon, I've got a few hundred thousand more to get done before Spring Training"

:jon
"yes sir!'

bennyw41
12-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Why do you think that there is a Pitcher that loses 4-5 MPH off their fastball each year?

"Sign Faster Jon, I've got a few hundred thousand more to get done before Spring Training"

:jon
"yes sir!'
No offense bro, but I don't think those putting words in peoples mouths posts are too funny. I think it causes people to believe personalities on the Sox and in the world are not what they are.

the_valenstache
12-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Nice story. I'm glad this organization is getting some positive credit. Which is all relative, considering the story run on the front page is about how our higher-ups basically ousted one of the most likable guys in baseball. Nonetheless, props to the PR people who make this kind of endearing stuff happen.

Sad to say I've been awaiting the Cubs fan reaction to this.

"They're really that desperate for fans? Dude, everyone knows that to be a player, you gotta just lay back in the cut, act like you don't even notice the fans, act all distant and uninterested when they approach you, then BOOM, they're hooked."

MUsoxfan
12-10-2004, 03:25 PM
No offense bro, but I don't think those putting words in peoples mouths posts are too funny. I think it causes people to believe personalities on the Sox and in the world are not what they are.

I disagree. Those crack me up. I'm just not clever enough to think of any myself.

DumpJerry
12-10-2004, 03:38 PM
It is Jerry Reinsdorf's personal business policy to return all letters sent into the White Sox. It has been this way for a long long while. No credit for Brooks on this one. I know first hand that JR is responsible for filtering down this type of corporate culture.Does that include emails? I sent Brooks an email about six weeks ago with some marketing ideas and never got a response. I think Hotmail may not have delivered it, I'll print it out and mail it to him.................

bennyw41
12-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Does that include emails? I sent Brooks an email about six weeks ago with some marketing ideas and never got a response. I think Hotmail may not have delivered it, I'll print it out and mail it to him.................
If you send a letter, and it gets there, someone, will respond to you, most likely 9 out of 10 times. Its just something they pride themselves on, and I think its great.

Mr. Zero
12-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Looks like this guy posted at Soxtalk, saying Brooks Boyer mentioned it would be a good place to meet a few Sox fans.

Lip Man 1
12-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Actually Benny I sent him a congratulatory letter after the Sox won the division in 1983. I still have his reply.

That was back when the organization felt the correct way to go was to sign free agents, spend money and win then the fans would come out. And the facts say that they did...in droves.

Lip

voodoochile
12-10-2004, 07:23 PM
And um... how would you know whether that is true or not?

I mean those migh just be their personalities...

Even if not... it's a joke. You don't have to think every joke is funny... Heck even Seinfeld bombed occasionally...:rolleyes:

voodoochile
12-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Looks like this guy posted at Soxtalk, saying Brooks Boyer mentioned it would be a good place to meet a few Sox fans.
That's it... Brooks is on the outs around here...:D:

I know. I know. They wouldn't want their fledgling new fans to encounter the rampant JR sucks mentality that exudes from almost every pore at WSI...

Parrothead
12-10-2004, 08:04 PM
A good story.......if the sox would do that with 20,000 + other people the stadium would be filled every day.

steff
12-10-2004, 08:59 PM
That's it... Brooks is on the outs around here...:D:

I know. I know. They wouldn't want their fledgling new fans to encounter the rampant JR sucks mentality that exudes from almost every pore at WSI...

Actually I wanted to get the OK from George before I asked that he also be invited here. I didn't get George's reply until just now.

A.T. Money
12-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Well, that was lovely. Good to have some new fans. The more the merrier.

CubKilla
12-10-2004, 10:10 PM
Actually Benny I sent him a congratulatory letter after the Sox won the division in 1983. I still have his reply.

That was back when the organization felt the correct way to go was to sign free agents, spend money and win then the fans would come out. And the facts say that they did...in droves.

Lip
And George Steinbrenner said JR and EE were ruining baseball :rolleyes: .

Fortune hasn't smiled favorably upon the Sox since then that's for sure.

soxnut
12-10-2004, 11:24 PM
Does that include emails? I sent Brooks an email about six weeks ago with some marketing ideas and never got a response. I think Hotmail may not have delivered it, I'll print it out and mail it to him.................
That's what you should do. That's what I did back in May, just after Brooks was hired. I sent him a letter with my marketing ideas and he responded, with a hand-written letter. I was very impressed , as was he--with my ideas!:D:

voodoochile
12-11-2004, 01:24 AM
Actually I wanted to get the OK from George before I asked that he also be invited here. I didn't get George's reply until just now.
Glad to hear PHG gave the go ahead. I am shocked that anyone feels the need to get an "okay" before inviting any fan, long-standing or otherwise to join the site.

WSI may have a steep learning curve, but anyone who decides to follow the rules can post here.

Are you the official team spokesperson for websites now, Steff? I hope they are paying you something or at least that you aren't forced to bow down and be nice at Soxfest... :D:

steff
12-11-2004, 09:13 AM
Glad to hear PHG gave the go ahead. I am shocked that anyone feels the need to get an "okay" before inviting any fan, long-standing or otherwise to join the site.

WSI may have a steep learning curve, but anyone who decides to follow the rules can post here.

Are you the official team spokesperson for websites now, Steff? I hope they are paying you something or at least that you aren't forced to bow down and be nice at Soxfest... :D:

It was an invite from Soxtalk which I wanted to include WSI in on. Seeing as how sometimes the relationship between the two isn't exactly... warm and fuzzy.. I wanted to be sure George didn't mind both sites in on the invite.

Don't worry about me being nice at Soxfest.. ain't gonna happen.. :wink:

Soxheads
12-11-2004, 02:41 PM
Hell, the real goal is more Sox fans anyways. Mr. Wallin seems like a great guy and I am ecstatic that theres a group of more Sox fan in Indy.

Frankfan4life
12-12-2004, 06:03 AM
Welcome to the Sox Wallin family! :bandance: The more the merrier! I know you'll enjoy the team and the kids will really enjoy the ball park. I hope they win a World Series in your life time. Stop by here and drop us a line sometime and learn about the White Sox history too. GO SOX!!

ewokpelts
12-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Wrong. It is Jerry Reinsdorf's personal business policy to return all letters sent into the White Sox. It has been this way for a long long while. No credit for Brooks on this one. I know first hand that JR is responsible for filtering down this type of corporate culture.that may be jerry's policy, but i'm sure brooks took the ball and ran with it.
this was a low risk endeavour that, if successful, would make the sox look goo. and it did. 47 staffers is a lot for just one family....but as we all know...one key member of the staff:

can tear it all down.....
Gene