PDA

View Full Version : Maggs: "Why not the Cubs?"

valposoxfan
12-10-2004, 03:11 AM
It is the lead story in today's Trib. Maggs feels as if the Sox didn't want him back and hopes the Cubs give him a call. He states that he would like to be a member of the Cubs and looks forward to playing on the North Side. Personally, I felt sick to my stomach for the first time in awhile in regards to sports when I read this. This would be a big signing for the Cubs and would put them immediately to the front of the NL Central. As for us, what a media nightmare this would be. I guarantee that you would never hear the end of this, especially once we started playing them in June.

santo=dorf
12-10-2004, 03:17 AM
Typical Cubune Propaganda.

I'm shocked.

:knue
"**** YOU Sox fans!!!"

ihatethecubs
12-10-2004, 03:18 AM
well if that does happen, you can expect some seriously loud chants of "OO-EE-OO, A**SHOLE!" when we play the cubs

Stumblinfool
12-10-2004, 03:21 AM
This would be a big pickup if the guy was going to play again which does not sound like a given at this point. I love Maggs but he may be the next Bo Jackson.

Jabroni
12-10-2004, 03:33 AM
Here's the article. I would suggest reading it. It has alot of quotes from Maggs himself.

Maggs: 'Why not the Cubs?'
Ex-South Sider would welcome call from across town
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-041209maggs,1,1922577.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines

santo=dorf
12-10-2004, 03:37 AM
Apparently the Cubune doesn't hire writers whom know ANYTHING about baseball. Take a look at this poll:

Where will Magglio Ordonez be on Opening Day 2005?

Sox
Cubs
Somewhere else
Limbo -- his knee is shot

Now it is my understanding that because the Sox didn't offer arbitration to Magglio, he cannot be signed until May 1st, 2005. Shouldn't the Cubune know this? :?:

Then again, Dewey did defeat Truman. :rolleyes:

SpartanSoxFan
12-10-2004, 03:47 AM
I can only hope that this is typical CUBune stirring-the-pot type of crap. But if this were to happen, I would seriously become nauseated. All my stupid Flubbie friends would NEVER let that down...:(:

santo=dorf
12-10-2004, 03:59 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/images/standard/clear.gif"Why not the Cubs?" Ordonez said from his Miami home. "I think it would be a good place for me. They have great fans. They're sold out every day. They have great pitching and they have a good chance to win it allDid he really say that?
because it sounds more like a dumb, drunken Cubs fan said that. :(:

:knue
"Here at the Chicago Cubune, we only report the facts."

pinwheels3530
12-10-2004, 05:11 AM
This hurts!!!:(:

munchman33
12-10-2004, 07:27 AM
Didn't I tell all of you that Gagglio really wanted to be a Flub?

LongLiveFisk
12-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Why not the Cubs? Well Mags, because they can't get rid of Sosa. That's why not.

Nice try though.

SOXSINCE'70
12-10-2004, 08:24 AM
Maggs is an FA.He wants to get the most for his money;
I can't blame him for that.What I can say is this all seems
as if he's sticking his tongue out at the Sox and saying
"Nya,nya,nya,i'll play for the sCrUBS if they want me".:angry: :angry:

I wish Maggs good luck,but if he becomes a sCrUB,
he will become Gagglio in my mind.After all,as Jerry
Seinfeld once pointed out,we all root for laundry.
If you're wearing the wrong laundry (i.e.a Sox opponent
or, God Forbid, a sCrUB), you're a bum .:D: :D:

Jjav829
12-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Sounds like Cubs propaganda to me. I'm sure Sullivan called him and asked him something like, "What about the Cubs?" to which Maggs replied, "What not the Cubs?" And what do you really expect him to say? "Hell no, I hate the Cubs?" The guy is desperate for a team. You could ask him about the Nationals and he'd probably say, "Why not the Nationals? They're in a great city and will have a fresh, energetic fan base. I'd love the opportunity to help them try to make the playoffs."

Typical Cubune propaganda. They're trying to stir **** up by asking players about the Cubs. They did it with Beltran. Now they did it with Maggs. Next they'll do it with JD Drew or some other big name. If the Cubs do sign Maggs, it will be AWFUL for the Sox. That would be the biggest PR hit in recent history. Maggs going to the Cubs is probably the worst thing that could happen to the Sox as a franchise this year.

On the other side, these quotes from Magglio are gut-wrenching. Everyone should read this story. It shows how Maggs has been thinking all along.
It's the team I've been playing on for the last eight years," Ordonez said. "All my friends are there. I love the fans. I love the city.

"I wanted to come back, but they never made me feel comfortable that they wanted me. They never said, 'We want you here. We want you to be our franchise player.' I was almost traded to Boston (in last winter's aborted deal for Nomar Garciaparra). How could I feel comfortable they really wanted me after that happened?"

34 Inch Stick
12-10-2004, 09:07 AM
Of course he fails to add that the Sox made him a 70 million dollar offer before pursuing a trade.

Keep on talking Maggs, my "good luck" is quickly becoming a "good riddance".

anewman35
12-10-2004, 09:10 AM
"All I want to do is win. Winning is my No. 1 priority."
"And it was good money, but it was all deferred,'' he said. "Up to 20 years. I said, 'No; pay me now, and I'll sign now.' They didn't want to do that.''
Is it just me, or do these quotes not mesh at all? If winning is so important to Mags, why the whining about the money?

It's also worth pointing out that the Sun Times article, predictibly, makes the whole Maggs to the Cubs thing sound a lot less bad:

Ordonez thanked Sox fans for being so good to him for so long and said, "I guess I'm going to have to sell my house in Chicago now.''
Not necessarily. Asked about the possibility of signing with the Cubs, he said with a laugh: "That would be nice. Really, really nice.''

hsnterprize
12-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Sounds like Cubs propaganda to me. I'm sure Sullivan called him and asked him something like, "What about the Cubs?" to which Maggs replied, "What not the Cubs?" And what do you really expect him to say? "Hell no, I hate the Cubs?" The guy is desperate for a team. You could ask him about the Nationals and he'd probably say, "Why not the Nationals? They're in a great city and will have a fresh, energetic fan base. I'd love the opportunity to help them try to make the playoffs."

Typical Cubune propaganda. They're trying to stir **** up by asking players about the Cubs. They did it with Beltran. Now they did it with Maggs. Next they'll do it with JD Drew or some other big name. If the Cubs do sign Maggs, it will be AWFUL for the Sox. That would be the biggest PR hit in recent history. Maggs going to the Cubs is probably the worst thing that could happen to the Sox as a franchise this year.

On the other side, these quotes from Magglio are gut-wrenching. Everyone should read this story. It shows how Maggs has been thinking all along.

It doesn't sound or look like "Cubune propaganda" to me...it looks like Magglio really wanted to stay with the Sox, but the Sox, in typical fashion, low-balled him to keep from paying the guy. And if the Cubs do get this guy, like you said, it'll be one of the biggest PR gaffs the Sox could be guilty of unless Maggs' leg makes him completely ineffective. Let's face it...the Sox are cheap...plain and simple. I know they're not major money-makers, but this does not look good.

The Sox are well-known to offer deferred contracts to players, and low-balling potential stars with the team. That's a big reason why so many people DON'T want to play for the Sox. I'm glad Jermaine Dye wanted to play for the Sox...that's the exception rather than the rule.

Like I've said so many times before...the day Jerry Reinsdorf sells the Sox will be the day Sox fans will celebrate like our team just won a World Series. We just hope a Reinsdorf-like clone will not take his place. I don't blame Kenny Williams as much as I blame Reinsdorf. In JR's defense, he did say on CSN (Comcast Sports Net) Maggs wasn't worth $15 mil per year, but Maggs did say in the Sun-Times article he was offered "good money", and was willing to "sign now" if he was "paid now." I don't blame Maggs for wanting to get paid..he has been the silent star on this team whether we want to admit it or not. I wouldn't want to wait, as Maggs put it, "20 years" to get my money unless I played the lottery (and a lot of multi-million dollar lottery winners take a lump sum, anyway).

Kilroy
12-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Magglio would welcome an offer from ANYONE right now. But no one is going to put money down on that knee until they get a look at it. And the Cubs won't be offering him anything until they get rid of Scammy.

Kilroy
12-10-2004, 09:18 AM
It doesn't sound or look like "Cubune propaganda" to me...it looks like Magglio really wanted to stay with the Sox, but the Sox, in typical fashion, low-balled him to keep from paying the guy. :kukoo:

Hello? The Sox offered him 70 mil for 5, and even if some was deferred, a common practice in the majors, he still was offered Vlad money, the exact cash he asked for (and didn't deserve), and turned it down. Now he's boo-hoo'ing that the Sox treated him badly, didn't want to pay him, and only care about making money. Well that's pretty ****ing ballsy for a guy that circumvented the Sox medical staff, snuck out of the country to have a second surgery on his knee and tried to keep it a secret, and now refuses to let anyone examine that knee, while at the same time is intent on getting 15 mil per year.

Two words: **** him.

gosox41
12-10-2004, 09:19 AM
It is the lead story in today's Trib. Maggs feels as if the Sox didn't want him back and hopes the Cubs give him a call. He states that he would like to be a member of the Cubs and looks forward to playing on the North Side. Personally, I felt sick to my stomach for the first time in awhile in regards to sports when I read this. This would be a big signing for the Cubs and would put them immediately to the front of the NL Central. As for us, what a media nightmare this would be. I guarantee that you would never hear the end of this, especially once we started playing them in June.
So the Sox make a FA signing yesterday and the Cubs get a front page article in the sports taking cheap shots at the Sox.

Sounds biased to me.

Bob

munchman33
12-10-2004, 09:27 AM
:kukoo:

Hello? The Sox offered him 70 mil for 5, and even if some was deferred, a common practice in the majors, he still was offered Vlad money, the exact cash he asked for (and didn't deserve), and turned it down. Now he's boo-hoo'ing that the Sox treated him badly, didn't want to pay him, and only care about making money. Well that's pretty ****ing ballsy for a guy that circumvented the Sox medical staff, snuck out of the country to have a second surgery on his knee and tried to keep it a secret, and now refuses to let anyone examine that knee, while at the same time is intent on getting 15 mil per year.

Two words: **** him.
Don't worry about it. The casual fan will look at this situation and call the sox cheap. While that's not the case here, it's not like they haven't set precedent.

hose
12-10-2004, 09:30 AM
So the Sox make a FA signing yesterday and the Cubs get a front page article in the sports taking cheap shots at the Sox.

Sounds biased to me.

Bob

BINGO

Rocky Soprano
12-10-2004, 09:41 AM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

SaltyPretzel
12-10-2004, 09:42 AM
:maggs
O-E-O Carpet-Bagglio!

Sox Mobile
12-10-2004, 09:48 AM
I am fed up to my eye balls with grown men with over sized egos hiding behind the phrase "Baseball is a business". They use this forum to one up each other and spray their territories at our expense, financially and emotionally.

Neither Magglio or management stepped up the plate so to speak, they just screwed around with each other, both with the hopes of pointing the last finger.

I am totally disgusted with both sides of this hoopla.

But Magglio has twisted the knife in the heart of this Sox fan.

So go ahead Maggs and kiss every *** you have to get the most money you can.

Obviously $$ is more important to you than the respect of a few lowly Sox fans who stood behind you when our team sat at home in October.

Your token "Thanks to all the Sox fans" sounds very hollow to me.

Rocky Soprano
12-10-2004, 09:55 AM
But Magglio has twisted the knife in the heart of this Sox fan.

So go ahead Maggs and kiss every *** you have to get the most money you can.

Obviously $$ is more important to you than the respect of a few lowly Sox fans who stood behind you when our team sat at home in October.

Your token "Thanks to all the Sox fans" sounds very hollow to me.
Couldn't of said it better myself. This is EXACTLY how I feel right now.

Why Maggs, why?

JKryl
12-10-2004, 10:01 AM
One thing no one has considered, is who did the actual talking? Was it Mags, or Boras? Hell, can Mages even speak English? This could have all been Boras propaganda, while he trys to stir up the pot.

Justafan
12-10-2004, 10:03 AM
I hate to say I told you so BUT I WILL. Like I said, this will all come out when Maggs talks and man did he ever. He said ALL THE THINGS I said probably happened. Of course, I was ridiculed for being a JR basher and not knowing the situation. Well, It sure appears I was pretty close.

YOU DO NOT TREAT YOUR BEST PLAYER LIKE THAT.

"Who do you believe, me or JR'?

anewman35
12-10-2004, 10:13 AM
"Who do you believe, me or JR'?
When it's Scott Boras telling Magglio what to say? I believe JR.

Justafan
12-10-2004, 10:16 AM
When it's Scott Boras telling Magglio what to say? I believe JR.
And if you believe the Sox and JR in this I have a nice piece of land to sell you.

anewman35
12-10-2004, 10:24 AM
And if you believe the Sox and JR in this I have a nice piece of land to sell you.
I'm not saying the Sox are perfect saints in this, I know full well they aren't. But, Magglio deserves much of, if not all of, the blame, and I feel no sympathy for him at all.

Justafan
12-10-2004, 10:29 AM
I'm not saying the Sox are perfect saints in this, I know full well they aren't. But, Magglio deserves much of, if not all of, the blame, and I feel no sympathy for him at all.
Are you F---in KIDDING ME? This is the same team that tried to trade gim BEFORE he was hurt because they had no INTENTION of giving him a deal he would be happy with. They lowballed him, tried to trade him and now they are saving a little face because Maggs went down with an injury.

This is what JR does all the time and for you to pin this on Maggs is ludicrous.

Rocky Soprano
12-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Are you F---in KIDDING ME? This is the same team that tried to trade gim BEFORE he was hurt because they had no INTENTION of giving him a deal he would be happy with. They lowballed him, tried to trade him and now they are saving a little face because Maggs went down with an injury.

This is what JR does all the time and for you to pin this on Maggs is ludicrous.
Lowballed him? Come on! 70MM is a lowball offer?

I dont put all the blame on Maggs, but some of it does fall on his shoulders!

santo=dorf
12-10-2004, 10:31 AM

The Sox offered 5 years $70 million. Once again Justafan is taking the side of the Cubs over the Sox.

:crossdresser

Justafan
12-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Santodorf,

What the **** are you talking about? 20 year deferred contract? Get your nose out of JR'S ass and smell the coffee. Furthermore, WHERE did I even BRING UP THE CUBS in this thread.

:reinsy (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)
" Santo, can you pick up my dry cleaning"?.

santo=dorf
12-10-2004, 10:38 AM
"This is the same team that tried to trade gim BEFORE he was hurt because they had no INTENTION of giving him a deal he would be happy with. They lowballed him"------Justafan

That's BS right there. The Sox offered 5 years $70 million. If Maggs isn't "happy with it," tough ****.

He would be nearly making as much money as Vlad, and he isn't at the same level of Vlad.

And I mentioned the Cubs thing because you seem to agree with the Cubune propaganda.

Rocky Soprano
12-10-2004, 10:39 AM
First of all you dont know if Maggs is saying the truth on how long the money would be deferred. Second of all, its not like he is not going to get all of his money. He wanted Vlad money and he was offered it. If he REALLY wanted to stay he would of taken the offer. PERIOD.

Maggs is not a saint in all of this.

FarWestChicago
12-10-2004, 10:40 AM
Santodorf,

What the **** are you talking about? 20 year deferred contract? Get your nose out of JR'S ass and smell the coffee. Furthermore, WHERE did I even BRING UP THE CUBS in this thread.

:reinsy (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)
" Santo, can you pick up my dry cleaning"?.We'll see you in a few days. There are rules about trying to defeat the language filters.

anewman35
12-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Are you ----in KIDDING ME? This is the same team that tried to trade gim BEFORE he was hurt because they had no INTENTION of giving him a deal he would be happy with. They lowballed him, tried to trade him and now they are saving a little face because Maggs went down with an injury.

This is what JR does all the time and for you to pin this on Maggs is ludicrous. I don't give a **** about Magglio Ordonez, I care about the Chicago White Sox. There isn't a player on the team that's more important than the team as a whole, and so any player should be tradeable. Magglio claims he wants to win, so he should understand that.

And, right, 70 million dollars is not a low ball offer. I don't care if it's deferred over 100 years, that's still a ton of money, and more than fair. Any more would have been vastly overpaying and hurt the team. Again, if Mags is so interested in winning and interested in staying, he'd have been willing to make compramises to make that happen.

Rocky Soprano
12-10-2004, 10:46 AM
We'll see you in a few days. There are rules about trying to defeat the language filters.
West, can I buy you a beer? :gulp:

santo=dorf
12-10-2004, 10:49 AM
West, can I buy you a beer? :gulp:
Take a look at his post in the Bruce Wolf thread in the clubhouse.. he has to be a :dtroll:.

southsider17
12-10-2004, 10:52 AM
We'll see you in a few days. There are rules about trying to defeat the language filters.
So "*****" warrents a time out?

MRKARNO
12-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Santodorf,

Even if it's deferred, the contract wont be devalued because after 2 years, the contract must be fully funded and gain interest. The parts that would have been deferred would have been worth the same in 20 years from now as they do today.

FarWestChicago
12-10-2004, 11:15 AM
So "*****" warrents a time out?No, I edited his attempts to defeat the *.

mdep524
12-10-2004, 11:24 AM

Oh, so now major league teams cannot consider trades of any of their players because it will make the player feel unwanted? Pleeease. What a joke. Do you even know what you're arguing, Justafan?

southsider17
12-10-2004, 11:44 AM
No, I edited his attempts to defeat the *.
Ahhh! OK. I was a little concerned about the apparent Gestapo-like tactics.

ode to veeck
12-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Ahhh! OK. I was a little concerned about the apparent Gestapo-like tactics.

But's it's a benevolent dictatorship, at least to non-trolls

pinwheels3530
12-10-2004, 01:00 PM
I can't believe everyone is taking JR's side on this, the cheap owner has a history of treating his players like crap!:mad:

doublem23
12-10-2004, 01:26 PM
I can't believe everyone is taking JR's side on this, the cheap owner has a history of treating his players like crap!:mad:5 years, $70 million. Damn. How does Maggs make it from day to day? :rolleyes:

I can't go more than a few hours without dropping a few mill.

kittle42
12-10-2004, 01:54 PM
5 years, $70 million. Damn. How does Maggs make it from day to day? :rolleyes:

I have never understood this logic - the "well, X dollars is a lot of money! He should just be happy and take it!" Why? Most Americans would, if given the choice of 12 million here or 14 million there - take the 14 million.

Sure, 12 million is a lot, but so is an extra 2 million.

It's America - if other suitors are willing to pay more for your services, you're probably gonna go with them.

maurice
12-10-2004, 01:57 PM
It's America - if other suitors are willing to pay more for your services, you're probably gonna go with them.True, but at this point, who's gonna offer him 5/70, deferred or not? That's why he was trying to trick the Sox into offering arbitration, and that's why he and his agent keep lying.

I was okay with Ordonez until the lies started rolling in. At this point, he can go **** himself.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Possibility of Magglio signing w/ the sCrUBS is close to the one the Sox have of acquiring Randy Johnson. Magglio doesn't fit on the North Side. The Coo are going to either;
a) keep Sosa and either have Todd Hollandsworth or a lower tier FA play LF.
b) trade Sosa and become aggressive in the Carlos Beltran sweepstakes
c) trade Sosa, go after Beltran and try to sign him but can't, try to go after Magglio who has already committed to the Orioles or some other team.

One thing to keep in mind, if the New York Yankees can somehow get rid of Jason Giambi's, considering they have already dealt Kenny Lofton, this would open up CF and allow Bernie Williams to DH. If CF is open in New York, wouldn't they be the odds on favorite to land Beltran?

fledgedrallycap
12-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Possibility of Magglio signing w/ the sCrUBS is close to the one the Sox have of acquiring Randy Johnson. Magglio doesn't fit on the North Side. The Coo are going to either;
a) keep Sosa and either have Todd Hollandsworth or a lower tier FA play LF.
b) trade Sosa and become aggressive in the Carlos Beltran sweepstakes
c) trade Sosa, go after Beltran and try to sign him but can't, try to go after Magglio who has already committed to the Orioles or some other team.

One thing to keep in mind, if the New York Yankees can somehow get rid of Jason Giambi's, considering they have already dealt Kenny Lofton, this would open up CF and allow Bernie Williams to DH. If CF is open in New York, wouldn't they be the odds on favorite to land Beltran?
I hate to break your heart, but Maggs fits extremely well with the Cubs. I'm not sure what their operating budget is, but with Alou gone and Sosa on the last year of his deal, they will need to find some outfield stability for the coming years. Bruce Levine has been claiming that if the Cubs don't make any moves during the Winter meetings involving Sosa to make way for a serious run at Beltran, Maggs could find himself signing a short-term/incentive contract in late January/ early February with the Cubs.

Personally, I would rather see him sign with the Cubs than the Indians, Tigers, Twins or any other AL team we see more often...

munchman33
12-10-2004, 02:28 PM
I can't believe everyone is taking JR's side on this, the cheap owner has a history of treating his players like crap!:mad:
Because that wasn't the case here.

And most White Sox fans are intelligent people.

Only casual fans will look back at this find the White Sox at fault.

Hangar18
12-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Im having a CRAPPY day at work ......
and this Maggs/JR nonsense isnt helping. how in the world could the
SOX let this spin out of control like this ......and Maggs too

fledgedrallycap
12-10-2004, 02:33 PM
It's the whole Greg Couch philosophy from his column, what are the White Sox supposed to do that would make you feel better? He was paid a lot of money over the last eight years, was offered a serious extension (deferred or not, it was 70MM +).

Did you want the Sox to offer the same contract to a guy running around to other countries getting non-FDA approved operations done and not releasing medical documents? Give me a break.

JR can be blamed for a lot, but he is loyal to members of his organizations, players and management, his track record with the Bulls and Sox is proof.

Hangar18
12-10-2004, 02:37 PM
WHere is that thread where I predicted Maggs would be a Cub in 2005?
:(: :(: :(:

WhiteSoxFan84
12-10-2004, 03:10 PM
He won't be. I almost gurantee it. Bet the ranch on this not happening. If Sosa is still around, I'm 100% sure it won't happen. If Sosa is dealt, I'm a TADBIT less sure it won't happen, but nonetheless I'm confident it won't happen. Let's not forget who Magglio's agent is, do you think it's upto Magglio where he signs? Hell no.

A team that has a good chance of landing Magglio: the Marlins.

Flight #24
12-10-2004, 03:13 PM
5 years, $70 million. Damn. How does Maggs make it from day to day? :rolleyes:

Maybe he's trying to feed Latrell Sprewell's family?:cool:

fledgedrallycap
12-10-2004, 03:18 PM
He won't be. I almost gurantee it. Bet the ranch on this not happening. If Sosa is still around, I'm 100% sure it won't happen. If Sosa is dealt, I'm a TADBIT less sure it won't happen, but nonetheless I'm confident it won't happen. Let's not forget who Magglio's agent is, do you think it's upto Magglio where he signs? Hell no.

A team that has a good chance of landing Magglio: the Marlins.
Why would the Marlins of all teams take a financial gamble like that?

Kilroy
12-10-2004, 04:00 PM
He won't be. I almost gurantee it.
The reason it won't happen is that Ordonez has a bad knee. No matter what they are trying to say right now, they know his knee is jello.

FarWestChicago
12-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Ahhh! OK. I was a little concerned about the apparent Gestapo-like tactics.Well, between breaking the rules and his other transgression, he was on a short rope. I don't think he fooled as many people as he thought:

southsider17
12-10-2004, 10:09 PM
Well, between breaking the rules and his other transgression, he was on a short rope. I don't think he fooled as many people as he thought:

He may be a cub fan but there are alot of close-minded, pessimistic Sox fans out there. He's not much worse than some on here. Plus it's fun antagonizing him. :duel:

doublem23
12-10-2004, 11:30 PM
I have never understood this logic - the "well, X dollars is a lot of money! He should just be happy and take it!" Why? Most Americans would, if given the choice of 12 million here or 14 million there - take the 14 million.

Sure, 12 million is a lot, but so is an extra 2 million.

It's America - if other suitors are willing to pay more for your services, you're probably gonna go with them.
I never said it's not his right to look for more money if its out there. I agree, but I don't buy for a second that, at least in this case, the Sox were "unfair to Maggs." $12 million a year for 5 years, IMO, was a fair offer for his talent, but if someone out there was willing to blow another few million on him, I'd understand why he left.

This is my problem with how Magglio is handling this. I'd have lost none of my respect for the guy if he just came out and said, "Hey, I only get a small window to play this game, I took a calculated gamble and now I'm hurt, so it may not pay off." But instead, he's trying to blow smoke up everyon'e sass the the Sox lowballed him and treated him like scum, when in reality, they made a pretty fair offer to him. I know the Sox have a history of not dealing to well with players, but I really can't believe that someone of Maggs' popularity would not warrant a serious offer from Kenny Williams.

Maggs had every right to go for the money, but I don't want to hear him moan about how bad he was treated with the Sox. We signed him, developed him, and gave him a chance to play everyday for 6 years and this is how he thanks us. **** off, Ordonez.

doublem23
12-10-2004, 11:31 PM
Don't the Cubs have Sosa and Alou under contract next year? If they sign Maggs' gimp knee, that may be the worst defensive outfield... EVER.

'Course, Cub fans won't care as long as they all hit their dingers.

gosox41
12-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Don't the Cubs have Sosa and Alou under contract next year? If they sign Maggs' gimp knee, that may be the worst defensive outfield... EVER.

'Course, Cub fans won't care as long as they all hit their dingers.
Alou is a FA.

Bob

barryball
12-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Mike Downey sums it up quite nicely in his colum in the trib today. I only would add that he was offered a "Vlad" like contract $12-14$MM per yer for 5 years regardless of whether 20% was deferred and he turned it down. He figured he was worth more and than gets injured, he got greedy gambled and lost. He was always paid well by the Sox. I always loved Maggs but if he can't play again I will not shed a tear!

Listen up Sox fans, don't buy Maggs' sob story
By Mike Downey

December 11, 2004

Downey's Twelve:
1 Magglio Ordonez has got a lot of … uh, those things he hits with a bat.

The nerve of this guy, saying he left the White Sox because they never made him feel "comfortable they really wanted me."

They paid him $14 million last year!

Ordonez deserves this week's Latrell Sprewell award for "comfortable" never being comfortable enough.

White Sox fans treated him like a god. They bought and wore his No. 30 uniform when no one else in America did. They sang "Oh-ee-oh!" to him.

He has turned his back on each and every one.

He even says, "Why not the Cubs? I think it would be a good place for me"—the ultimate insult to Sox fans.

Ordonez says the Sox insulted him by nearly trading him to Boston. Yes, they nearly did … and why? Because he wouldn't agree to a new deal, which meant if he left as a free agent he could leave the Sox with nothing.

Which is exactly what happened.

GM Ken Williams did not trade Ordonez in midseason—for Andruw Jones or anyone else—when he could have.

Ordonez paid him back by going to a doctor the Sox didn't know without even notifying the team.

He fired his agent and hired one with whom Williams is known to be uneasy doing business. Why? Because the GM said he wasn't sure how well Ordonez's knee surgery had gone … because Ordonez hadn't bothered to let the Sox in on it.

You say he got a lot of big hits for you, the fan? Hey, that was his job. That's why the Sox paid him all that money.

He also led the Sox to just one playoff … and hit .182 in it.

But the Sox were proud of him. They found him 13 years ago. In the minors, when he hit .180 (1992), .216 (1993), .238 (1995) and .263 (1996), they stuck by him.

When he sought a contract extension in 2001, he got it. When he sought donations for Venezuela flood relief in 1999, club Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf kicked in $10,000.

This is how he paid them back—by abandoning the Sox and saying he would be happy to be a Cub.

Oh-ee-oh, go ahead and go.

bafiarocks03
12-11-2004, 01:26 PM
Because I'm not that lucky..If Maggs went to the Cubs, i would be going to cubs games, specially when they play the reds so then i can see my D'Angelo Jimenez! BUt that won't happen unless some team takes Sosa, who nobody wants!.......

HomeFish
12-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Ok, let's say its June. The Accursed Ones are at the Cell. Who do you boo more, Sosa or Magglio?

soltrain21
12-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Ok, let's say its June. The Accursed Ones are at the Cell. Who do you boo more, Sosa or Magglio?

Either way, both will be a heck of a lot.

HomeFish
12-11-2004, 02:03 PM
I'm already thinking about what sign I will bring to 2005 Sox/Cubs games. I was considering one that said "2005 Cubs Outfield" and below had a diagram with "cork" or "steroids" in RF, "***hole" in LF, but, unfortunately, the accursed ones do not have an infamous enough player in CF for this to work.

doublem23
12-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Probably whoever bats first since I'd have to come back up for air.

bc2k
12-12-2004, 11:19 PM
I'm already thinking about what sign I will bring to 2005 Sox/Cubs games. I was considering one that said "2005 Cubs Outfield" and below had a diagram with "cork" or "steroids" in RF, "***hole" in LF, but, unfortunately, the accursed ones do not have an infamous enough player in CF for this to work.
Don't worry if Patterson is not infamous enough, he's pretty ripped so there might be some truth to him taking roids too.

I'm a lot more indifferent to Magglio not returning to the Sox because of his injury. I would be much more sad if he had a typical, injury-free Ordonez season. Injury or not though, if he signed with the Cubs, I would pull my hair out.

munchman33
12-12-2004, 11:45 PM
Because I'm not that lucky..If Maggs went to the Cubs, i would be going to cubs games, specially when they play the reds so then i can see my D'Angelo Jimenez! BUt that won't happen unless some team takes Sosa, who nobody wants!.......
According to rotoworld, Austin Kearns will be moving to the Red's infield next year (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&show=NL&id=6851) (third base, shifting Ryan Freel over to second base), and D'Angelo is expected to be non-tendered.

And there isn't another team in the league willing to let him start. At least there shouldn't be.