PDA

View Full Version : Why not Larkin?

soltrain21
12-09-2004, 09:58 PM
We were going after Omar to fill our SS need. Why not go after Barry Larkin in a one year deal? Cincy is givin him the boot and he had a very solid year last year. I would see no problem with him at short and Uribe at second.

Thoughts? He has to be cheap.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 10:00 PM
I'd rather see us spend money on another starting pitcher. Uribe at SS and Willie at 2B will be fine. If he came cheap, I wouldn't mind Larkin at SS and Uribe at 2B though.

You are correct. He should be cheap. He only made $700,000 with the Reds last season.

Heh, you are starting to change my mind. Larkin is still a good ballplayer when he can stay healthy.

Barry Larkin (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=117501)
346 AB
.289 AVG
.352 OBP
8 HR
44 RBI
2 SB
34 BB
39 SO

mdep524
12-09-2004, 10:07 PM
We were going after Omar to fill our SS need. Why not go after Barry Larkin in a one year deal? Cincy is givin him the boot and he had a very solid year last year. I would see no problem with him at short and Uribe at second.

Thoughts? He has to be cheap.

Ehh, I've always liked Larkin throughout his career, and he'd be a good clubhouse/leadership guy, but I think his skills have slipped past being an everyday player. If he were cheap enough, I'd consider signing him as a back up/utility guy though, if he'd be willing to accept that.

What happened to Placido Polanco? Is he still available? I still think he's the best option for the Sox at 2B next year (excluding current Orioles).

MRKARNO
12-09-2004, 10:07 PM
We definately need another middle infielder...Uribe, Harris and Valdez are the only three who can play 2B and SS, so Larkin would be a good pickup.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Now that I thought about it for awhile, I think Willie has to start full-time at this point in his career. He has to get the chance to succeed. He was a top 2B prospect, wasn't he? It's time to see if he can get the job done. He better learn how to bunt and steal bases this offseason. :angry:

DSpivack
12-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Now that I thought about it for awhile, I think Willie has to start full-time at this point in his career. He has to get the chance to succeed. He was a top 2B prospect, wasn't he? It's time to see if he can get the job done. He better learn how to bunt and steal bases this offseason. :angry:
I definitely remember when we traded for him he was being billed a Ray Durham without power.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 10:24 PM
I definitely remember when we traded for him he was being billed a Ray Durham without power.I just looked it up and Willie was a minor league All Star in 2001.

CleeFan101
12-09-2004, 10:47 PM
willie harris didnt do that bad last year had a real good OBP people just hate him like ozzie does for some odd reason :whiner:

gosox41
12-10-2004, 08:10 AM
I'd rather see us spend money on another starting pitcher. Uribe at SS and Willie at 2B will be fine. If he came cheap, I wouldn't mind Larkin at SS and Uribe at 2B though.

You are correct. He should be cheap. He only made $700,000 with the Reds last season.

Heh, you are starting to change my mind. Larkin is still a good ballplayer when he can stay healthy.

Barry Larkin (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=117501)
346 AB
.289 AVG
.352 OBP
8 HR
44 RBI
2 SB
34 BB
39 SO
I thin Larkin is a good risk for that kind of money.

Bob