PDA

View Full Version : Heresy?

A. Cavatica
12-09-2004, 09:27 PM
No, not Sosa. Giambi.

The Yankees want to make him go away at this point, written off as another expensive mistake. The Yanks probably want this more than they want to be rid of Brown, and certainly more than they want to be rid of Vazquez.

If we could trade Konerko and Garland and end up with Giambi and Vazquez and a ton of cash -- enough cash so we come out ahead! -- I think the Sox would crazy not to make that deal. Giambi's career OBP is .411, so even off the juice he's got value as a hitter. We need OBP and we need lefthanded bats. Put Giambi in the Cell in front of 16,000 fans and let him hit his way back to respectability.

Remember that Reinsdorf loves to acquire other people's marked-down discards. This just feels like a Reinsdorf/Williams move.

As for Vazquez, he's still the starter I want us to get (after Oakland's Big Three, of course). He's still young. He's still got 20-game-winner stuff. And a change of scenery will work wonders.

Of course, just getting rid of Giambi wouldn't be enough. This trade would also need to give the Yankees the ammunition to trade for RJ. But I think NY would cough up the third player to get that deal done; we shouldn't have to trade Brian Anderson.

Is this a pipe dream? Or is it just nuts?

fusillirob1983
12-09-2004, 11:30 PM
I don't know about other fans, but I definitely would not want a cheater like Giambi on the team, even with a .411 OBP.

DSpivack
12-09-2004, 11:42 PM
I don't know about other fans, but I definitely would not want a cheater like Giambi on the team, even with a .411 OBP.
Forget the cheating for a moment...when was the last time he actually played for a lengthy amount of time? But of course his health has nothing to do with steroids.

DumpJerry
12-09-2004, 11:47 PM
ahem....excuse me.....remember Scammy's boombox last season? Someone (Prior? Wood?) took a bat to it.......

Giambi in the Sox clubhouse....Big Frank (a/k/a "The Real MVP in 2000") also in the clubhouse....lots of baseball bats in the clubhouse.....I think you get the picture.........

If Giambi is allowed to play, then Shoeless Joe deserves his own wing in the HOF!

fusillirob1983
12-09-2004, 11:56 PM
Well whatever. I was just throwing out one reason I don't want him, but his health is an issue too.

doublem23
12-09-2004, 11:58 PM
That would be a great PR move.

RKMeibalane
12-10-2004, 04:52 AM
Uh, oh... uh, oh...

:threadsucks

pinwheels3530
12-10-2004, 04:59 AM
No, not Sosa. Giambi.

The Yankees want to make him go away at this point, written off as another expensive mistake. The Yanks probably want this more than they want to be rid of Brown, and certainly more than they want to be rid of Vazquez.

If we could trade Konerko and Garland and end up with Giambi and Vazquez and a ton of cash -- enough cash so we come out ahead! -- I think the Sox would crazy not to make that deal. Giambi's career OBP is .411, so even off the juice he's got value as a hitter. We need OBP and we need lefthanded bats. Put Giambi in the Cell in front of 16,000 fans and let him hit his way back to respectability.

Remember that Reinsdorf loves to acquire other people's marked-down discards. This just feels like a Reinsdorf/Williams move.

As for Vazquez, he's still the starter I want us to get (after Oakland's Big Three, of course). He's still young. He's still got 20-game-winner stuff. And a change of scenery will work wonders.

Of course, just getting rid of Giambi wouldn't be enough. This trade would also need to give the Yankees the ammunition to trade for RJ. But I think NY would cough up the third player to get that deal done; we shouldn't have to trade Brian Anderson.

Is this a pipe dream? Or is it just nuts?

What makes you think we are only going to get 16,000 fans at the game.:rolleyes:

munchman33
12-10-2004, 07:25 AM
Giambi aside, Peter Gammons is reporting that Vasquez to the Sox is off (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1943079), because KW is not hearing back from the Yankees.

34 Inch Stick
12-10-2004, 08:53 AM
I have a way to save some extra money for players. We can buy our uniforms at Sportmart the day after Christmas while they are on sale. Of course everyone will have to wear 35 Thomas on their back, but we'll know who they really are.

gosox41
12-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Giambi aside, Peter Gammons is reporting that Vasquez to the Sox is off (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1943079), because KW is not hearing back from the Yankees.
Then it must be close if Gammons is reporting it.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Sox do in the AL East next season with Jaret Wright as their starting pitcher.

Bob

A. Cavatica
12-10-2004, 10:17 AM
All I'm saying is, Buy low, Sell high.

nccwsfan
12-10-2004, 11:22 AM
WAY too many risks with Giambi to even consider him on any lineup other than the stinking Yankees. He would need to prove to the world that he can play drug-free first....

Foulke29
12-10-2004, 12:26 PM
I have a way to save some extra money for players. We can buy our uniforms at Sportmart the day after Christmas while they are on sale. Of course everyone will have to wear 35 Thomas on their back, but we'll know who they really are.
POTW!

Tekijawa
12-10-2004, 01:56 PM
WAY too many risks with Giambi to even consider him on any lineup other than the stinking Yankees. He would need to prove to the world that he can play drug-free first....
He did, He won the MVP in 2000 drug free AND THEN started Juicing.