PDA

View Full Version : Kenny tells it like it is

HomeFish
12-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Many have gotten excited over the recent signing of Mr. Dye, but nobody, it appaers, picked up on somehing in the Dye article. From WhiteSox.com, I quote:

The money that some believe was saved through not offering arbitration to Ordonez and Jose Valentin, not to mention removing closer Billy Koch from the books, simply isn't there.

"I've spent that $14 million already," said Williams of the Ordonez money, which has been absorbed by raises, yearly increases for multiyear contracts and the addition of Garcia and Contreras to the payroll.

"There are very few dollars available -- maybe to add a bench player," Williams added. "If I want to make an impact signing, I would have to move a little bit of salary in another area."

link. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041209&content_id=920072&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

This is it, guys. Dye and Hermanson better come through.

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Many have gotten excited over the recent signing of Mr. Dye, but nobody, it appaers, picked up on somehing in the Dye article. From WhiteSox.com, I quote:

link. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041209&content_id=920072&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

This is it, guys. Dye and Hermanson better come through.Don't take every public statement as the truth.

Lip Man 1
12-09-2004, 06:17 PM
No.2:

Just curious...is it because that would dash to hell any the folks who said this club was raising payroll to 75 million?

Lip

Flight #24
12-09-2004, 06:19 PM
No.2:

Just curious...is it because that would dash to hell any the folks who said this club was raising payroll to 75 million?

Lip
Because at a level of $70mil already, you'd consider a $5mil signing to be "impact"?:?:

Payroll is almost certainly going to be a lot closer to 75mil than 65mil. Book it.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 06:19 PM
I agree that there won't be any more "big signings" but I think we still will trade Konerko and/or Garland for a starting pitcher.

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 06:25 PM
No.2:

LipNo, it's because after having Vizquel and Wright snatched away from him, he's probably doing everything he possibly can not to telegraph his next move.

Or maybe you're suggesting that he should just announce to the world who he's talking to and what deals he is working on?

Or maybe that's exactly what he should do because they'll think he's faking them and that he's really going to do the opposite!

Or maybe they'll think he thinks they're going to think that and that's REALLY what he's going to do.

OK, now I know it's time to take a break.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 06:26 PM
No, it's because after having Vizquel and Wright snatched away from him, he's probably doing everything he possibly can not to telegraph his next move.

Or maybe you're suggesting that he should just announce to the world who he's talking to and what deals he is working on?

Or maybe that's exactly what he should do because they'll think he's faking them and that he's really going to do the opposite!

Or maybe they'll think he thinks they're going to think that and that's REALLY what he's going to do.

OK, now I know it's time to take a break.All good points. The problem is that Lip can't view these things without his special "KW/JR hatred glasses."

Lip Man 1
12-09-2004, 10:38 PM
As a member of the **** Jabroni shouldn't your comments be in rose?

Funny the good organizations don't seem to have a problem giving their fans an idea of what's going on and still get their guys. That's called PR during the off season to help ticket sales.

Perhaps the real problem is that all the guys Kenny goes after wind up signing elsewhere because the Sox offers get topped. (Fiscal responsibility you understand...LOL)

And before you say it Dye (like Valentin) are the RARE exceptions.
Lip

Lip Man 1
12-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Flight:

The Sox could get a decent 5th starter for five million a year couldn't they? Jeff Suppan and Kenny Rogers signed deals for a hell of a lot less didn't they?

Lip

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Flight:

The Sox could get a decent 5th starter for five million a year couldn't they? Jeff Suppan and Kenny Rogers signed deals for a hell of a lot less didn't they?

LipThe problem is that there's not really too many cheaper #5 starting pitchers available as free agents this offseason. Most of the starting pitchers available are either top pitchers (too expensive) or scrubs (cheap but sucky)...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/freeagents?type=avail&positionId=15

See any #5 starting pitcher that would cost around $5 million on that list that you would like Lip? Keep in mind that many of them are close to re-signing with their current team already.

Getting Esteban Loaiza back may be the only viable option. :o: But I heard the Yankees may keep him.

kittle42
12-09-2004, 11:28 PM
No, it's because after having Vizquel and Wright snatched away from him, he's probably doing everything he possibly can not to telegraph his next move.

OK, now I know it's time to take a break.
If they sign a big FA without moving Lee or Konerko, I will buy you a steak dinner.

kittle42
12-09-2004, 11:29 PM
All good points. The problem is that Lip can't view these things without his special "KW/JR hatred glasses."If they sign a big FA without moving Lee or Konerko, I will buy you a steak dinner.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 11:33 PM
If they sign a big FA without moving Lee or Konerko, I will buy you a steak dinner.I'm not proclaiming that we will sign a big FA starting pitcher. I think we will trade for Javier Vazquez and sign a cheap 5th starter if Garland is involved in the Vazquez trade. The problem is that there aren't any decent, inexpensive 5th starters available...

FightingBillini
12-09-2004, 11:36 PM
The problem is that there's not really too many cheaper #5 starting pitchers available as free agents this offseason. Most of the starting pitchers available are either top pitchers (too expensive) or scrubs (cheap but sucky)...

See any #5 starting pitcher that would cost around $5 million on that list that you would like Lip? Keep in mind that many of them are close to re-signing with their current team already.

Getting Esteban Loaiza back may be the only viable option. :o: But I heard the Yankees may keep him.
Hmmm, Todd Ritchie looks promising.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 11:46 PM
Hmmm, Todd Ritchie looks promising.I was going to say that but I was too afraid of the backlash! :D:

On a serious note, Loaiza may be the only decent option on that list to be a 5th starter. :?:

jshanahanjr
12-09-2004, 11:56 PM
What about fat boy as the 5th starter?

Jabroni
12-10-2004, 12:00 AM
http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&leaguenum=&id=4057Latest News Dec. 9, 2004 - 1:06 pm et

The Red Sox have jumped into the bidding for free agent David Wells.

Wells has made no secret of his dislike for Fenway Park, an issue that has probably stopped Boston from pursuing him in the past. The Padres and Dodgers are also competing for Wells. The Phillies should be out of the race after signing Jon Lieber.

Source: San Diego Union-TribuneWasn't his first go-around with the Sox more than enough for you? :?:

JRIG
12-10-2004, 06:22 AM
"I've spent that $14 million already," said Williams of the Ordonez money, which has been absorbed by raises, yearly increases for multiyear contracts and the addition of Garcia and Contreras to the payroll.
...which is almost word-for-word what has been said on this site multiple times since the end of the season.

Without a major raise in the payroll number, there really isn't any more money.

34 Inch Stick
12-10-2004, 08:49 AM
In making that statement isn't KW really limiting who he will be able to trade? I don't want Paulie gone but it sure looks like that will be the case.

On the other hand, I imagine there will be 1 bottom of the barrell starter available, who will jump at a contract in January. That person would still be light years ahead of what I expect we will get from Grilli.

gosox41
12-10-2004, 08:56 AM
All good points. The problem is that Lip can't view these things without his special "KW/JR hatred glasses."

Someone should open a thread at the start of everyday where we can rip on every move and dissect every quote no matter how irrelevant from KW and JR.

Maybe that should be in teal, but I'm kind of serious. It makes reading all the same stuff in one thread rather then seeing it sprinkled throughout multiple threads.

Bob

duke of dorwood
12-10-2004, 08:59 AM
How much is this team getting from TV this year? How much are they getting from increased ticket prices? From Soxfest? From all the sponsorship on ads on the scoreboard? On residuals on merchandise bought? On food bought? On Parking?

Shall I go on?

The $14 mil may be absorbed in raises, but EVERYONE has raises, and not an immediate 19 mil payroll deduction the Valentin and Ordonez releases gave them.

I cant take this constant crying about $ anymore. Rich people own this team, folks. Wake up-they expect us to believe this crying broke stuff. The rich get richer, and we get below average product to go see if we choose to.

gosox41
12-10-2004, 09:00 AM
How much is this team getting from TV this year? How much are they getting from increased ticket prices? From Soxfest? From all the sponsorship on ads on the scoreboard? On residuals on merchandise bought? On food bought? On Parking?

Shall I go on?

The $14 mil may be absorbed in raises, but EVERYONE has raises, and not an immediate 19 mil payroll deduction the Valentin and Ordonez releases gave them.

I cant take this constant crying about $ anymore. Rich people own this team, folks. Wake up-they expect us to believe this crying broke stuff. The rich get richer, and we get below average product to go see if we choose to.

I thought proceeds from Soxfest went to White Sox charities.

Bob

anewman35
12-10-2004, 09:16 AM
How much money are they spending? At least $70 million on player payroll. I'm sure at least a few million more on stadium operations and a few million more on non-player payroll. That all adds up, you know.

Yes, the Sox are taking in lots and lots of money. How do you know that it's greater than $80 million or so, which is what they are putting out?

JKryl
12-10-2004, 09:34 AM

Shall I go on?

Agreed. I almost bought another 9 pack until I realized that the way they have it set up almost doubles the amount I spent on the same package last year. Add to that the parking going up from $13 to $17, and they should be able to sign RJ without a trade.

JKryl
12-10-2004, 09:38 AM

Bob
I'm sure it's, "after expenses". And, who knows, they may make the contribution in, "in-kind" donations. You know, free tickets to the local boys club, etc. Remember who we're dealing with.

Ol' No. 2
12-10-2004, 10:17 AM

BobDon't confuse the issue with facts.:o:

gosox41
12-10-2004, 11:03 AM
I'm sure it's, "after expenses". And, who knows, they may make the contribution in, "in-kind" donations. You know, free tickets to the local boys club, etc. Remember who we're dealing with.

I determine 'proceeds' to be money received. So minus expenses the money should be going to White Sox charities.

Bob

gosox41
12-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Don't confuse the issue with facts.:o:
I'm just trying to fit in.:D:

Bob

Lip Man 1
12-10-2004, 02:39 PM
Duke:

Please don't try to convince the **** when it comes to facts about extorted stadiums, sweetheart lease deals and stadium improvements made without spending one dime of ownerships money.

Remember the organization is going broke..... just like the free spending Diamondbacks! LOL

Lip

tstrike2000
12-10-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm not trying to be KW basher, but just judging from the past. How much does anyone want to bet that if KW get's a starting pitcher, he'll trade another starting pitcher to do it (Garland)?