PDA

View Full Version : Whither Maggs

wilburaga
12-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Now all the GMs will face the same conundrum KW did. How do you establish the market value of a superior player whose medical condition is, at best, uncertain?

Despite the Boras bluster, I don't think any GM will offer a multiyear contract, nor do I think any will offer guaranteed money at anything near the rate Maggs would have commanded in arbitration. My best guess would be a heavily incentivized 1 year contract with about 5 million guaranteed with a team option at a much higher rate for the second year.

As for what teams will roll the dice I think you can round up the usual suspects, starting with both NY teams. Seeing Maggs in Yankee pinstripes is not going to help my anger management program.

W

MUsoxfan
12-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Seeing Maggs in Yankee pinstripes is not going to help my anger management program.

W

If you see him in NY, he'll be a NY Metropolitan. NYY have no need for him with Matsui, Sheffield and likely Beltran in the outfield with Williams as DH.

Flight #24
12-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Now all the GMs will face the same conundrum KW did. How do you establish the market value of a superior player whose medical condition is, at best, uncertain?

Despite the Boras bluster, I don't think any GM will offer a multiyear contract, nor do I think any will offer guaranteed money at anything near the rate Maggs would have commanded in arbitration. My best guess would be a heavily incentivized 1 year contract with about 5 million guaranteed with a team option at a much higher rate for the second year.

As for what teams will roll the dice I think you can round up the usual suspects, starting with both NY teams. Seeing Maggs in Yankee pinstripes is not going to help my anger management program.

WTeam: "Hey Scott Boras, we're interested in checking out Maggs but can we examine his medical reports & knee?"

Boras: "Well, are you serious?"

Team: "Um. Yeah. But only if we're sure he's healthy"

Boras: "He's healthy. There, you happy?"

Team: "Ummm...can you give us anything more concrete than that?"

Boras: "Sure - here's our medical exams & diagnoses from reputable doctors"

Team: "Is there any reason why this looks like your signature?"

Boras: "Um....ah....nope."

Team: "OK, we'll offer $1mil with $14mil in incentives."

Boras: "We'll take it! Unfortunately, I hate to inform you that Maggs just had a relapse. Completely unpredicatable."

mdep524
12-09-2004, 05:04 PM

I think you severely underestimate the stupidity of some organizations out there, or at least over-estimate their risk aversion. I'm sure multiple teams will step up and offer Maggs a multi-year contract with a good amount of guaranteed money.

The Mets, the resident stupidest team in baseball, obviously will make some offer, and the Mariners, Orioles, Padres all could take a look as well.

Dolanski
12-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Maggs will be a Ranger because Tom Hicks will be the only owner dumb enough to offer him a huge multi year deal. Good luck to you Maggs, but I have my doubts if you will ever be the same.

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Team: "Hey Scott Boras, we're interested in checking out Maggs but can we examine his medical reports & knee?"

Boras: "Well, are you serious?"

Team: "Um. Yeah. But only if we're sure he's healthy"

Boras: "He's healthy. There, you happy?"

Team: "Ummm...can you give us anything more concrete than that?"

Boras: "Sure - here's our medical exams & diagnoses from reputable doctors"

Team: "Is there any reason why this looks like your signature?"

Boras: "Um....ah....nope."

Team: "OK, we'll offer $1mil with $14mil in incentives."

Boras: "We'll take it! Unfortunately, I hate to inform you that Maggs just had a relapse. Completely unpredicatable.":rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:
The funniest part is it's probably true.

Tekijawa
12-09-2004, 05:19 PM
I heard somewhere were Boras said he cancelled the work out for the other teams because it wasn't needed anymore... I can't remember where I read it though.

wilburaga
12-09-2004, 05:21 PM
I think you severely underestimate the stupidity of some organizations out there, or at least over-estimate their risk aversion. I'm sure multiple teams will step up and offer Maggs a multi-year contract with a good amount of guaranteed money.

The Mets, the resident stupidest team in baseball, obviously will make some offer, and the Mariners, Orioles, Padres all could take a look as well.Of course you may be exactly right but Boras is acting so oily about this I think it's going to scare off many potential suitors. Nevertheless, in this case, it only takes one to tango. (See Tom Hicks/A-Rod.) Minaya, being the new savior, is probably the one with the most job security and the most likely to take the gamble.

But I never underestimate the rapacious acquisitiveness of the Yankees. They were willing to taxi squad Lieber for all of 2003, and with Sheffield getting on in years, and the huge Giambi question mark, the Yanks just might feel the familiar need for greed and stockpile another bat.

W

mweflen
12-09-2004, 05:26 PM
I heard somewhere were Boras said he cancelled the work out for the other teams because it wasn't needed anymore... I can't remember where I read it though.
sun times yesterday. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42430&page=1