PDA

View Full Version : If Konerko is traded, we should sign Olerud

MRKARNO
12-09-2004, 04:48 PM
I would love to see this scenario as long as we got Javy Vazquez for Konerko. Why Olerud? He's old all right, but he still gets on base at a very good clip (it's been declining, but it was still .360 last year and who is to say it couldnt go up to near .400 again?), he probably doesnt have much pop left, but I dont think we need more power, we need guys who can get on base and Olerud can do that and provide excellent defense at first. He might be able to get the power back, who knows? It seems like anyone can hit it out at the Cell these days. And he's a veteran with plenty of playoff experience and two world series titles. He'd be cheap too (probably as cheap or cheaper than Dye). Sure he's 36, but who ever said we had to guarentee him 2 years? I would be in full support of trading Konerko for Javy Vazquez and signing Olerud.

OEO Magglio
12-09-2004, 04:51 PM
I would love to see this scenario as long as we got Javy Vazquez for Konerko. Why Olerud? He's old all right, but he still gets on base at a very good clip (it's been declining, but it was still .360 last year and who is to say it couldnt go up to near .400 again?), he probably doesnt have much pop left, but I dont think we need more power, we need guys who can get on base and Olerud can do that and provide excellent defense at first. He might be able to get the power back, who knows? It seems like anyone can hit it out at the Cell these days. And he's a veteran with plenty of playoff experience and two world series titles. He'd be cheap too (probably as cheap or cheaper than Dye). Sure he's 36, but who ever said we had to guarentee him 2 years? I would be in full support of trading Konerko for Javy Vazquez and signing Olerud.
Not a bad idea Karno but personally I'd rather let Ross start.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Not a bad idea Karno but personally I'd rather let Ross start.Agreed.

MUsoxfan
12-09-2004, 04:52 PM

I third that

santo=dorf
12-09-2004, 04:53 PM
:jerry
"The kid can play."

munchman33
12-09-2004, 04:53 PM
I'd rather have Gload start than Olerud. And I'd rather not let Gload start.

Dolanski
12-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Wow. Sorry to be mean here, but this is quite possibly the worst idea ever. Olerud is more washed up than Robbie Alomar. Galaraga would be better at 1b than him.

If this were 1995, that would be great, but its 10 years later and John has very little to nothing left in the tank. He is too old to play every day and his batting average has dropped dramatically in the past two years. We might as well get Rickey Hendersen to play the OF and bring back Canseco.

Besides, I don't think JR would appreciate the batting helmet in the field.

OEO Magglio
12-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Wow. Sorry to be mean here, but this is quite possibly the worst idea ever. Olerud is more washed up than Robbie Alomar. Galaraga would be better at 1b than him.

If this were 1995, that would be great, but its 10 years later and John has very little to nothing left in the tank. He is too old to play every day and his batting average has dropped dramatically in the past two years. We might as well get Rickey Hendersen to play the OF and bring back Canseco.

Why is it a bad idea?? I think Karno proved Olerud can still play a little bit. Just in my opinion I think Ross is a better option, certainly not a bad idea though......

munchman33
12-09-2004, 05:05 PM
That stems from a medical condition. A blow to the head could kill him. I don't think that would be an issue for JR.

:reinsy
"As long as he's buyin'!"

MRKARNO
12-09-2004, 05:05 PM
If Gload does what he did in 234 at bats over a full season, then by all means he should start. I'm just not sure he will, not as sure as I would be for Olerud. I guess Gload would make sense as well, but I think Olerud's veteran presence would benefit this team.

Dolanski
12-09-2004, 05:12 PM
That stems from a medical condition. A blow to the head could kill him. I don't think that would be an issue for JR.

:reinsy
"As long as he's buyin'!"
Yeah, I know. Was trying to be funny. Medical condition or not, he still looks like a doofus with it. Olerud is a bad idea all around. Haven't people been complaining about Kenny spending money on over the hill past their prime players? Here is a prime example. I am sorry, but he is NOT going to reclaim past glory at the Cell.

He last hit 300 22 HR 102 RBI in 2002. Since then he has hit .269 10 HR 83 RBI and .259 9HR 48 RBI. I call that decline. And at his age, steroids not withstanding, you generally don't bust out or revert to your prime numbers. a 40pt drop in BA in two years?

Yeah, sign him up right away. With him in the lineup we are sure to be the best 500 team in the central. White Sox Baseball...it's craptastic!

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 05:14 PM
I would love to see this scenario as long as we got Javy Vazquez for Konerko. Why Olerud? He's old all right, but he still gets on base at a very good clip (it's been declining, but it was still .360 last year and who is to say it couldnt go up to near .400 again?), he probably doesnt have much pop left, but I dont think we need more power, we need guys who can get on base and Olerud can do that and provide excellent defense at first. He might be able to get the power back, who knows? It seems like anyone can hit it out at the Cell these days. And he's a veteran with plenty of playoff experience and two world series titles. He'd be cheap too (probably as cheap or cheaper than Dye). Sure he's 36, but who ever said we had to guarentee him 2 years? I would be in full support of trading Konerko for Javy Vazquez and signing Olerud.I forgot. Why did the Mariners release Olerud last year? Oh yeah. It was because HE STUNK. Does a .259 BA with a .374 SLG mean anything?

MRKARNO
12-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Yeah, sign him up right away. With him in the lineup we are sure to be the best 500 team in the central. White Sox Baseball...it's craptastic!
The more I think about this the less it makes sense. Not for your reasons, which are legit, but because him and Gload are both lefties. Another option we could pursue is Julio Franco if he wants to come back and platoon with Gload possibly.

Tekijawa
12-09-2004, 05:17 PM
That would be a CRAPTASIC move, why trade konerko and pick up a worse version of him? Start Gload if we don't pick up Delgado.

MRKARNO
12-09-2004, 05:17 PM
I forgot. Why did the Mariners release Olerud last year? Oh yeah. It was because HE STUNK. Does a .259 BA with a .374 SLG mean anything?
He doesnt have to start. He could play off the bench as well and make a few spot starts and be the defensive replacement, or basically Gload's role last year.

MRKARNO
12-09-2004, 05:18 PM
if we don't pick up Delgado.
Get that thought out of your head because it's simply not happening. You gotta think outside the box sometimes because money and players do not grow on trees.

Dolanski
12-09-2004, 05:21 PM
The more I think about this the less it makes sense. Not for your reasons, which are legit, but because him and Gload are both lefties. Another option we could pursue is Julio Franco if he wants to come back and platoon with Gload possibly.
Franco? Again, is this 1995? What next, Tony Clark? Mo Vaughn?

Anyways, I doubt they would spend on a veteran 1b with Gload around.

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 05:24 PM
He doesnt have to start. He could play off the bench as well and make a few spot starts and be the defensive replacement, or basically Gload's role last year.Look at the FA 1B list. There are at least 3 names on that list in the same price range that I'd choose over Olerud.

Galarraga
Karros
Fullmer

And I'm not wild about any of them.

Tekijawa
12-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Look at the FA 1B list. There are at least 3 names on that list in the same price range that I'd choose over Olerud.

Galarraga
Karros
Fullmer

And I'm not wild about any of them.I'd still take Gload over any of them...

dcb33
12-09-2004, 05:29 PM
He doesnt have to start. He could play off the bench as well and make a few spot starts and be the defensive replacement, or basically Gload's role last year.Why on earth would you want to help the Yankees by trading our best power hitter to that them, who happen to really need help at 1B? And for who? Crappy ass Javy Vazquez? That gas can? He's an older, more expensive version of Jon Garland who would get torched at the Cell. He posted a 4.91 ERA last year, with half of his starts at Yankee Stadium. One could only imagine how high it would be at the Cell.

Not only would you be helping the Yankees, but you'd also be destroying the Sox. In case you hadn't noticed, Konerko is a veteran and a leader on this team, and our best power hitter. I can't belive you want to get rid of him, especially for what you think would be fair compensation in Vazquez.

MRKARNO
12-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Franco? Again, is this 1995? What next, Tony Clark? Mo Vaughn?

Anyways, I doubt they would spend on a veteran 1b with Gload around.
Well we have 2 first basemen on this roster (Thomas isnt going to play first realistically) and if we trade Konerko, we'll have only one. Why not sign one that can come cheap and still produce at a mediocre level off the bench?

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 05:33 PM
I'd still take Gload over any of them...Me too. But with PK gone, they're going to need a backup at 1B. Who else on the team can play 1B? Burke can, but I don't think you're going to want him to play 1B on his days off. A few others can in a pinch, but I think they need a viable RH option.

Dolanski
12-09-2004, 05:43 PM
Well we have 2 first basemen on this roster (Thomas isnt going to play first realistically) and if we trade Konerko, we'll have only one. Why not sign one that can come cheap and still produce at a mediocre level off the bench?
Mediocre level, enough said. Why would we want a mediocre player? And Thomas isn't a real 1b, he's a DH. How about NOT trading Konerko? Sounds much better to me than an Olerud/Gload platoon.

Lip Man 1
12-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Dick Allen used to wear a batting helmet in the field and I don't think he looked goofy or a doofus. Pitchers sure as hell didn't think that either.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Dick Allen used to wear a batting helmet in the field and I don't think he looked goofy or a doofus. Pitchers sure as hell didn't think that either.

LipIf he hit like Dick Allen in his prime, he could wear a hat with a propeller on it.

maurice
12-09-2004, 06:03 PM
I like Olerud a lot, but he's done.

Look at the FA 1B list. There are at least 3 names on that list in the same price range that I'd choose over Olerud.

Galarraga
Karros
Fullmer

And I'm not wild about any of them.Even after Fullmer comes to camp weighing 160 lbs.? :)

Karros would be decent, but we don't need a lefty DH / 1B who hit .233 last season or a 43-year-old who played seven games in 2004.

MRKARNO
12-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Why on earth would you want to help the Yankees by trading our best power hitter to that them, who happen to really need help at 1B? And for who? Crappy ass Javy Vazquez? That gas can? He's an older, more expensive version of Jon Garland who would get torched at the Cell. He posted a 4.91 ERA last year, with half of his starts at Yankee Stadium. One could only imagine how high it would be at the Cell.

Not only would you be helping the Yankees, but you'd also be destroying the Sox. In case you hadn't noticed, Konerko is a veteran and a leader on this team, and our best power hitter. I can't belive you want to get rid of him, especially for what you think would be fair compensation in Vazquez.
You clearly have no clue what's going on. The idea wouldnt be to give Konerko to the yanks, but to send him to Arizona in a three way deal most likely.

In addition, I think everyone here recognizes the ridiculousness of your statement about Vazquez. Vazquez has been one of the better pitchers in the league over the past 4 years or so and 2004 was the exception, not the rule. Mel Stottlemyer seems to have a track record of making pitchers not succeed in New York lately.

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 06:18 PM
You clearly have no clue what's going on. The idea wouldnt be to give Konerko to the yanks, but to send him to Arizona in a three way deal most likely.

In addition, I think everyone here recognizes the ridiculousness of your statement about Vazquez. Vazquez has been one of the better pitchers in the league over the past 4 years or so and 2004 was the exception, not the rule. Mel Stottlemyer seems to have a track record of making pitchers not succeed in New York lately.Is it too early to start a pool on which Yankees pitcher they're going to be paying someone to take next year?

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 06:22 PM

Even after Fullmer comes to camp weighing 160 lbs.? :) HAHA! Brad Fullmer? *COUGH* ROIDS *COUGH!*

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2004, 06:33 PM

Even after Fullmer comes to camp weighing 160 lbs.? :)

Karros would be decent, but we don't need a lefty DH / 1B who hit .233 last season or a 43-year-old who played seven games in 2004.So you think he's been on the Giambi diet, too?

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 06:36 PM
The more I think about this the less it makes sense. Not for your reasons, which are legit, but because him and Gload are both lefties. Another option we could pursue is Julio Franco if he wants to come back and platoon with Gload possibly.Not that I wanted him anyways but Julio Franco just re-signed with the Braves...Braves | Franco Re-Signs - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 15:03:30 -0800
USAToday.com reports the Atlanta Braves re-signed 1B Julio Franco to a one-year deal.

StillMissOzzie
12-09-2004, 07:46 PM
I can't believe that Olerud wants to go another year after coming out of retirement to play for the Yankmee$. I think he's toast, and I'd rather go with Gload than him. First choice would be to keep PK, but KW and JR can't seem to fill one hole without creating a new one.

SMO
:angry:

striker60657
12-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Gload stepped up and played well last year. Plus he hit over .330 against lefties and was one of the top hitters on the team with Runners In Scoring Position. Why gamble on Olerud. Find out if Gload has it or not. Especially since if we don't trade Kornerko this winter we could trade him during the season or lose him to free agency.

dcb33
12-09-2004, 10:21 PM

In addition, I think everyone here recognizes the ridiculousness of your statement about Vazquez. Vazquez has been one of the better pitchers in the league over the past 4 years or so and 2004 was the exception, not the rule. Mel Stottlemyer seems to have a track record of making pitchers not succeed in New York lately.
You weren't being very clear. You said: "I would love to see this scenario as long as we got Javy Vazquez for Konerko." You later said you would be in full support of a Konerko for Vazquez deal. You made no mention that what you were talking about was a 3 way deal. I apologize for misundertsanding.
Assuming this deal has RJ going to the Yankees, Konerko going to the D-Backs, and Vazquez coming here (which seems to be the hot rumor around here), that's even worse.
Do you really want the Sox to be the team that helps the Yankees land Randy Johnson? I don't think so.
Vazquez is a career .500 pitcher- not one of the best in the league for the last 4 years. Please. In 2002 and 2003 he was with a Montreal team that was about as good as the Sox, and he put up numbers no better than Garland's (granted his ERA was lower but it was NL). Considering how much he's scheduled to make, it's not such a good value, and frankly the thought of relying on Gload and Olenrud platooning at 1B is scary. Gload belongs on the bench and Olenrud belongs out in the pasture.

MRKARNO
12-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Assuming this deal has RJ going to the Yankees, Konerko going to the D-Backs, and Vazquez coming here (which seems to be the hot rumor around here), that's even worse.
Do you really want the Sox to be the team that helps the Yankees land Randy Johnson? I don't think so.
I don't give a crap, as long as our team gets better. We have to worry about ourselves. The only teams we shouldnt help get a player if we were in a position to better ourselves in a trade are the ones in our own division.

Vazquez is a career .500 pitcher- not one of the best in the league for the last 4 years. Please. In 2002 and 2003 he was with a Montreal team that was about as good as the Sox, and he put up numbers no better than Garland's (granted his ERA was lower but it was NL). Considering how much he's scheduled to make, it's not such a good value,
First of all, wins are not a good way to evaluate pitchers. By that logic, Bartolo Colon was a better pitcher last year than Randy Johnson, and we all know that's not true. Even if it were a good tool to evaluate pitchers, a 10 win deficit comes from his rookie 5-15 season.

Vazquez is a workhorse (230+ innings in two of the last three years) who gets a boatload of K's, has a ton of great pitches, and has a great K/BB ratio in his good years. It wasnt that long ago that Vazquez was one of the best pitchers in baseball and everyone was clamoring for him (2003 to be exact). He's still that same pitcher. Montreal was a launching pad too, so I dont think we can expect those ERAs to go up by all that much. I think Vazquez just couldnt handle NY and last year was a fluke.

and frankly the thought of relying on Gload and Olenrud platooning at 1B is scary. Gload belongs on the bench and Olenrud belongs out in the pasture. Olerud still has something left in him, though maybe the Sox arent the best team for him. Gload has proven that he can hit and deserves a chance to start at 1B. If he fails to perform, we can move Dye to first.

Jabroni
12-09-2004, 10:37 PM
I agree that Gload should be given the chance to start at 1B if Konerko is traded but you guys should stop ripping on Olerud. He performed well once he got off that horrible Seattle team...

John Olerud (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=119976&statType=1)
164 AB
.280 AVG
.367 OBP
4 HR
26 RBI
21 BB
20 SO

I think Olerud still has some gas left in the tank but I would rather see Gload starting at 1B because he has some speed. Olerud is almost as slow as Konerko at running the bases. :o:

gosox41
12-10-2004, 09:15 AM

Actually I have another name. If he's healthy, I'd like the Sox to sign Brad Fullmer. He'd be a good pick up with more offense then Olerud.

Of course I hope the Red Sox decide to trade Millar.

Bob

Ol' No. 2
12-10-2004, 09:59 AM
Actually I have another name. If he's healthy, I'd like the Sox to sign Brad Fullmer. He'd be a good pick up with more offense then Olerud.

Of course I hope the Red Sox decide to trade Millar.

BobI suggested Fullmer earlier, but then somebody pointed out he's been on the Giambi diet.:(:

gosox41
12-10-2004, 11:05 AM
I suggested Fullmer earlier, but then somebody pointed out he's been on the Giambi diet.:(:
I didn't realize that. Then forget it. But Millar would be a good fit.

Bob

stillz
12-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Vazquez is a workhorse (230+ innings in two of the last three years) who gets a boatload of K's, has a ton of great pitches, and has a great K/BB ratio in his good years.
Exactly. Don Cooper would help straighten him out. He's the epitome of a quality starter. Make this trade, KW!

But I think I'd prefer to see Gload at 1B in 2005.